Default How About the rest of us?!!

I love DDO, and I love playing new character types. but it has become soooo difficult to find base builds that a) don't rely on tomes or named gear or b) that are not for TRs. I've done most of the sticky newbie builds but where are the custom starters or premium builds? i'm not looking for min/max builds, just some viable mid range endgame builds that won't cost me an arm and a leg at the AH. are there any threads that have what i'm looking for? please link below.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kurglar View Post
    I love DDO, and I love playing new character types. but it has become soooo difficult to find base builds that a) don't rely on tomes or named gear or b) that are not for TRs. I've done most of the sticky newbie builds but where are the custom starters or premium builds? i'm not looking for min/max builds, just some viable mid range endgame builds that won't cost me an arm and a leg at the AH. are there any threads that have what i'm looking for? please link below.
    There are some newbie builds/guides on the compendium.

http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Categ...me_Play_Guides

The official newbie guides for some classes are here: http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Categ...Turbine_Guides

When you start farming the shroud, challenges and the vale quests, +2 tomes and similar equipment will look cheap
    Last edited by Kmnh; 04-01-2012 at 02:18 PM.
    Kmnh * Kmn * Kmm * Knn * Knm

Leader of Templar

If you post in the respective class forums with what you are looking for you can generally get some pretty good suggestions.

I suppose someone has to ask...

Why not just come up with an idea yourself? Level it and see what happens. Keep gear to a minimum just in case it doesn't work out well, or use a lot of bound to account gear that can just be traded among characters.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kurglar View Post
    but it has become soooo difficult to find base builds that a) don't rely on tomes or named gear or b) that are not for TRs. I've done most of the sticky newbie builds but where are the custom starters or premium builds?
    Most builds on the forums are done by vets for vets; furthermore, they're usually focused on minmaxing endgame performance, which is all about gear, tomes, and past lives. Only a handful of builders (inc. me) seem to cater to the unwashed masses, as it were.

That said, most of those builds can be adapted or downgraded for someone with more modest resources. E.g., most caster builds work fine as a 28-pt F2P build; they just work better once you load `em with a lot of resources.

So were you looking for something in particular or just grousing?
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    Other build threads: Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

unwashed masses? yes, i do feel dirty for asking. i'm not looking for a specific build just some ideas for some happy twinkers. btw unbongwah i love your builds. sooo much fun. my main is the dwarven footman from the wiki beginners page and i've lvl'd numerous builds to a max of lvl 16. i just haven't found anything that really feels good to me. the closest i have gotten is an elf AA that is lvl 14 and is still looking to flag for tor. it may become my main. anyway, i appreciate the comments and i'll just keep my eyes open.

2016, 2018 Player Council Member Ziindarax's Avatar

Wizards make a good first class to play with as a mediocre-geared wizard will (when played correctly) easily outclass a fully-geared, "maxed out" melee, or ranged character. I'd say go with pale master wizard (drow if you've unlocked them). If you want to play a warforged, go with archmage instead (and focus on enchantment to get low-cost Crowd control spell-like-abilities).

Another good choice would be a divine class (cleric/favored soul), as every party looking to do group content needs a healer (even the ones who say "BYOH [be your own healer]", as they will happily accept any incoming healing), and it shouldn't be too hard to get gear for them.

Both Divines and Arcanes start to become rather viable toward mid-game, and become awesomely powerful toward end-game (so much so, that their power alone tips the scales in many epic's, and it's not uncommon to see favored souls and arcanes soloing epic's). As long as your casting stat(s) are the highest, you should be relatively good in most quests. Hope this helps.
    Ziind Stargazer - Level 12 fighter/6 Barbarian/2 rogue Half-Orc (Neutral Good) - Formerly a level 20 Paladin Human - Orien

Fernian Summer Carnival

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

I haven't followed anyone else's build yet.

...but I do get inspiration from some of them.

I feel your pain though... been a pet peave of mine for six years now... I stop reading any build as soon as it mentions rare loot. (although now that +3 tomes sometimes show up in the DDO store, those builds are more valid)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

One thing to keep in mind is that just because a build lists X tome doesn't mean you need X tome to make the build work. The big exception is stat requirements, most notably 17 Dex for ITWF and GTWF, but even that is easy to adapt: just put two level-up points in Dex instead of Str (or whatever). Effectively, the +2 Dex tome gives you +1 to hit and +1 to damage: that's not going to make or break any build.