Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Esserbe View Post
    I'm fairly sure spears were druid weapons in AD&D, but scimitar was added in 3.0.
    nope scimitars and sickles was always druid weapons, as well as clubs, quterstaff and sling. Im pretty sure for 2nd Ed ADnD

scythe in DnD is really poorly designed weapon, having great crit multiplier and base dmg profile wo any disadvantage for its bulkiness and uneasy combat use.

Compare it with fauchard, which is nothing else than polearm based on scythe placed verticaly on long shaft - 1d8/ 20x3

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    Everybody wants Scythe only for x4 multiplier nothing else. But combined with special stacking crit.-enhancing effects it will become too powerful. And enhancing crit.range is actually the most wanted feature then.

And again there was a weapon which every Kensai build or THF FB is nailed to. It decreased variety instead of increasing it.
    I think they would be cool to use. I couldn't care less if they were statted identical to great axes.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

I would hope so. They are long overdue.
    Isnt Rahls Might technically a spear? It's got piercing dmg and a its physically a two handed stave. I know it's just one weapon so far, but at least we know the model is there.

"Hikari datte, yami datte, kitto"

Into light, into darkness, surely.

I'm fairly sure spears were druid weapons in AD&D, but scimitar was added in 3.0.
    Spear and scimitar were both druid weapons in Advanced D&D (what we now call first edition) - yes ladies and gentleorcs, khopesh is also on that list. Keep your cookie cutters handy, youre gonna need em.

Aklys
    Club
    Dagger
    Dart
    Garrotte
    Hammer
    Lasso
    Sap
    Scimitar
    Sling
    Spear
    Staff Sling
    Quarter Staff
    Khopesh Sword
    Whip
    Last edited by Chai; 04-03-2012 at 10:34 AM.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Spear and scimitar were both druid weapons in Advanced D&D (what we now call first edition) - yes ladies and gentleorcs, khopesh is also on that list. Keep your cookie cutters handy, youre gonna need em.

Whip
    U simply overlooked the fact lot of those weapons are for specialty druids kits coming with Complete druid handbook, not mentioning that khopesh in DnD has nothing common with the abomination we got here in DDO. So u could probly stay calm

Quote Originally Posted by Gauthaag View Post
    U simply overlooked the fact lot of those weapons are for specialty druids kits coming with Complete druid handbook, not mentioning that khopesh in DnD has nothing common with the abomination we got here in DDO. So u could probly stay calm
    I overlooked nothing.

There was no complete druid handbook for advanced dungeons and dragons.

The complete druid handbook was second edition.

The list I provided was for Advanced Dungeons and Dragons - which is what we call first edition nowdays. There were no kits or class handbooks for that game.
    Last edited by Chai; 04-03-2012 at 10:48 AM.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Sorry for noob question, but what exacly spears brings? And how are yo sure it will be translated to ddo?
    SO far there is no difference between any 2h weapon exept some has SoS other not.
    Will the Spear anything more than the illusion of choice?

Scythe on the other side at least brings moar power.

Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default spear

A 2HF Puncturing weapon would be a great addition to DDO. In DDO my Druid will probably be carrying a staff or duel wielding clubs or scepters...
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

Quote Originally Posted by licho View Post
    Sorry for noob question, but what exacly spears brings? And how are yo sure it will be translated to ddo?
    SO far there is no difference between any 2h weapon exept some has SoS other not.
    Will the Spear anything more than the illusion of choice?

Scythe on the other side at least brings moar power.
    Mattock or 2H heavy pick would be 20x4 - wont be a "druid weapon" however.

Spear would be 1d8 20x3 - worse than a maul. Some people like their flavor though. It also gives us the ability to build for str and not dex and have a viable weapon for melee druids. I suspect most melee druids will be shape changing which may make all the weapon discussion void.

Spear would be 1d8 20x3 - worse than a maul. Some people like their flavor though.
    But it's a simple weapon...people who aren't martial classes could use it without penalty.

And 1 point of damage average less than a Maul is hardly earth shattering. Mauls are 1 point less than greataxes, and still get used.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrkGrismer View Post
    I would like to see all the pole arms added, but obviously it would mean new animations, and that obviously means a lot of work.
    What, all of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeruell View Post
    What, all of them?
    My new R&B group is playing: Bil-bec-de-bardiche-glaive-guisarme.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeruell View Post
    What, all of them?
    Yes. ALL of them!

I love that comic.
    Khyber: Runforr 13/6/1 Rog/Ftr/Mnk, Bakup 3/3/1 Mnk/Pal/Rog (TR Pal), Faylah 14 Mnk (TR Mnk), Janthyra 12/7/1 Brb/Rog/Ftr, Ainbthech 20 Sor, Fliethas 18/2 Fvs/Mnk, Unfilled 12/6/2 Mnk/Rgr/Ftr, Arcanemark 10 Wiz "Don't eat us dragon! We're like you, but smaller. And fly worse." - Kobold Crewman on the Heart of Wind

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diyon View Post
    Yes. ALL of them!

I love that comic.
    Sorry but DDO is fresh out of polearms :<

Community Member twiliteslayer02's Avatar

how about we go with what the original dnd rules said, druids may only use weapons made of wood or another naturally occurring substance.... now THAT would be something!

Rageforged

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by twiliteslayer02 View Post
    how about we go with what the original dnd rules said, druids may only use weapons made of wood or another naturally occurring substance.... now THAT would be something!

Got it. No cobalt-chromium-tungsten alloys, then.

Cold iron should be AOK though.
    Last edited by Zeruell; 04-03-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Pole arms are so 1st edition, maybe they should be strongly considered for the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    But it's a simple weapon...people who aren't martial classes could use it without penalty.

And 1 point of damage average less than a Maul is hardly earth shattering. Mauls are 1 point less than greataxes, and still get used.
    What do you suspect the ratio of GS great axes -vs- GS mauls are? If there was an actual office pool, id put my money on 97% / 3% in favor of greeat axes.

If spear obeyed the dice progression used for GS as well:

1d8 - 1d10
    1d10 - 2d8
    2d6 - 3d6

So a GS spear would be 1d10 where a GS maul is 2d8 5.5 / 9 = 3.5 damage per hit difference. To put this into perspective, there are much sought after TOD sets that take up 2 slots that only add 2 points per hit. The epic claw set adds 4 points per hit. The difference between spear (5.5) and great ax (10.5) is greater. A spear user with the claw set does slightly less damage than a great ax user without the claw set.
    Last edited by Chai; 04-03-2012 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    What do you suspect the ratio of GS great axes -vs- GS mauls are? If there was an actual office pool, id put my money on 97% / 3% in favor of greeat axes.

If spear obeyed the dice progression used for GS as well:

1d8 - 1d10
    1d10 - 2d8
    2d6 - 3d6

So a GS spear would be 1d10 where a GS maul is 2d8 5.5 / 9 = 3.5 damage per hit difference. To put this into perspective, there are much sought after TOD sets that take up 2 slots that only add 2 points per hit. The epic claw set adds 4 points per hit. The difference between spear (5.5) and great ax (10.5) is greater. A spear user with the claw set does slightly less damage than a great ax user without the claw set.
    The long spear is decent in pnp because of reach (and simple weapon). Yes, the reach weapons have lower base damage, but they had reach. Not sure how to translate that into something as useful in DDO. Maybe give reach weapons attacks of opportunity.
    Khyber: Runforr 13/6/1 Rog/Ftr/Mnk, Bakup 3/3/1 Mnk/Pal/Rog (TR Pal), Faylah 14 Mnk (TR Mnk), Janthyra 12/7/1 Brb/Rog/Ftr, Ainbthech 20 Sor, Fliethas 18/2 Fvs/Mnk, Unfilled 12/6/2 Mnk/Rgr/Ftr, Arcanemark 10 Wiz "Don't eat us dragon! We're like you, but smaller. And fly worse." - Kobold Crewman on the Heart of Wind

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast