Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Companion Pets - How to make them useful, simply.

This is not a thread to argue about if cosmetic pets should or should not be given functionality. This is a thread to determine what functionality can be given, to note its flaws and merits, and to encourage its consideration.
    However, if you want to note your opposition to such a thing, that's more than fine, just don't base it off of "cosmetic should be cosmetic because it's cosmetic" or be argumentative or aggressive in your posts. Thank you!

The concept:
    Give each (unique type of) pet in your stalls the ability to have a single inventory slot each.
    This inventory slot acts in all respects as a single shared bank account slot.
    Any other of your characters on the server can gain access to that slot by summoning that exact pet.

The functionality:
    Awesome way to keep ingredient bags with crafting materials readily available to your other characters.
    Uniquely beneficial, doesn't affect game balance or force companions to have any combative effects to be useful. Encourages purchases of multiple companions, across multiple characters.

Example:
    Buy and activate 'Red Kobold'.
    Pop out Red Kobold and have your awe-inspiringly suicidal barbarian Krunkgar the Hairy hand him some Tasty Hams.
    Load up your mage, Yamma the Wheezy, pop out the Red Kobold, and chow down on some pig.
    Also helps prevent the need to /lfh! Think of all the hungry adventurers, people!

P.S.
    I do read replies and respond to them. If you believe you have a specific point (in favor, or against) please consider reading through the replies in this thread first before responding.
    The links to my replies on more notable topics are provided below.

(Also, if your point is that cosmetic pets should be cosmetic, I've pretty much replied that one into the ground, so really, don't make me cry by bringing it up again. I haven't included posts that dealt solely with replying to that in the list below, so if you want to bring it up, busy yourself with finding and reading those instead? x_x)

Affecting shared bank account and potential lootable pets, and the nature of cosmetics:
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=4387813
    Emphasizing the benefits and noting an alternative:
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=4395741
    In which the alternative and other options are discussed,
    and in which another cosmetics reference allows additional supporting notes to be made:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=4435486
    On lag, and related implementation mechanics:
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=4435501
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=4435727
    In which we discuss use of non-shared inventory, dev outlook on the matter,
    word obsession, forum guidelines, and how the idea affects normal shared banks:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=4439460
    Reemphasizing my previous points on lag, conceptual functionality of the idea,
    possible use of pets as familiars and mounts, and kleptomanical fashion-obsessed battle pets:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=4439461
    The ability to fight pets against another! In pet arenas?
    Would there be betting? The Silver Flame would NOT approve.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=4439665
    Last edited by Dagolar; 05-06-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: 1: Grammatical fix. 2: Addition of Example + phrasing tweak. 3: Added P.S. and top disclaimer, extra formatting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
    Fly? That would break every quest in the game. You would see folks falling from the sky in Korthos and dying. It would be a rain of newbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Yeah. It's not "we nuked the city from orbit", it's "the city experienced a brief population drop". Check.

Community Member

Nice idea +1

this would be an interesting possibility. but i think they planned on lootable ones at some point, which would somewhat undermine the value of shared bank (although i'm certainly not going to say that it's undesirable to have more slots in the shared bank, the greatest value comes from getting to share BTA stuff to other chars)...

They are not meant to be useful, just meant to be cute and cuddly.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

how about a 10 space mini bag pack instead? could be shared or not..

Can i have a haircut which is 'useful' ?
    Or armor kit?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaid314 View Post
    this would be an interesting possibility. but i think they planned on lootable ones at some point, which would somewhat undermine the value of shared bank (although i'm certainly not going to say that it's undesirable to have more slots in the shared bank, the greatest value comes from getting to share BTA stuff to other chars)...
    There seems to be a maximum number of slots to the stable, that should work as a limiter. Even if they do drop in lootable pets, the majority of them will likely still come from purchases, and at one slot per, it shouldn't contrast poorly with the shared bank; Especially since we're always looking for more inventory space.

Quote Originally Posted by decease View Post
    how about a 10 space mini bag pack instead? could be shared or not..
    By having one bag independent of which pet you have summoned? I suppose it'd work, but I find it less charming and functional

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    They are not meant to be useful, just meant to be cute and cuddly.
    Quote Originally Posted by licho View Post
    Can i have a haircut which is 'useful' ?
    Or armor kit?
    This isn't a thread arguing for or against the existence of pets, one way or the other. I'm merely trying to offer a possible enhancement of a game feature. If I was to ask for an increase in the duration of the Merfolk's Blessing spell, would you get on me about it not being intended to be useful?
    ..okay, well, you might have me on that one.
    Seriously, though, lets please keep the replies to the topic.

And Licho, given how ghastly a few of the base armors designs are, yes. Armor kits are very useful. ~_^
    Fly? That would break every quest in the game. You would see folks falling from the sky in Korthos and dying. It would be a rain of newbs.
    Yeah. It's not "we nuked the city from orbit", it's "the city experienced a brief population drop". Check.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagolar View Post
    This isn't a thread arguing for or against the existence of pets, one way or the other. I'm merely trying to offer a possible enhancement of a game feature. If I was to ask for an increase in the duration of the Merfolk's Blessing spell, would you get on me about it not being intended to be useful?
    ..okay, well, you might have me on that one.
    Seriously, though, lets please keep the replies to the topic.
    But cosmetics pets are not game feature, at least they are not element of game mechanics.
    The "cosmetic" is not here just for giggles.
    The comparison to merfolk is wrong since spell is class feature, and its part of gameplay.
    Armor kits, pets, haircuts, are not part of gameplay.
    Cosmetics = change only the look of character, make it look more awesome and badass, do not give any advantage over f2p.

You may argue "lets make Arti dogz useful" and that will be right.
    You may argue "Ranger natural ally dies before i finished casting, turbine fix that" and that will be also right (oh that will be so good).
    But argueing about cosmetic pets being just cosmetics miss the the idea of cosmetic.

i dunno... this could potentially create another bug that'll eat your item
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

Quote Originally Posted by licho View Post
    But cosmetics pets are not game feature, at least they are not element of game mechanics.
    The "cosmetic" is not here just for giggles.
    The comparison to merfolk is wrong since spell is class feature, and its part of gameplay.
    Armor kits, pets, haircuts, are not part of gameplay.
    Cosmetics = change only the look of character, make it look more awesome and badass, do not give any advantage over f2p.

You may argue "lets make Arti dogz useful" and that will be right.
    You may argue "Ranger natural ally dies before i finished casting, turbine fix that" and that will be also right (oh that will be so good).
    But argueing about cosmetic pets being just cosmetics miss the the idea of cosmetic.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/facetious

The goal was to move the topic away from argumentation [And, the very section you quoted attempted to clarify the matter against "argueing about cosmetic pets being just cosmetics"].

Your points are fair, though the pets are certainly only limited to cosmetic functionality by choice and design.
    If you'd care for a serious comparison, I'll point you to cosmetic hats.

If you all want to keep at arguing your points on your own subjects, have away, but that's the last I'll add to the matter; Though, you're welcome to make the contributive response of "I'd prefer to keep cosmetic pets cosmetic-only".

Quote Originally Posted by Jay203 View Post
    i dunno... this could potentially create another bug that'll eat your item
    x_x..

Quote Originally Posted by Dagolar View Post
    I wasn't getting on you, I was stating the obvious. Cosmetic Pets are Cosmetics, as such they cannot be useful.

Now if we remove the Cosmetic part and name them packmule ( with the relevant change in shape ) giving them a few inventory slots or bags wouldn't be wrong.

As things stands, Cosmetic means that it has no effect to the game at all. Cosmetic Armor Kits have no effect on the armor ability for example.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    I wasn't getting on you, I was stating the obvious. Cosmetic Pets are Cosmetics, as such they cannot be useful.

Now if we remove the Cosmetic part and name them packmule ( with the relevant change in shape ) giving them a few inventory slots or bags wouldn't be wrong.

As things stands, Cosmetic means that it has no effect to the game at all. Cosmetic Armor Kits have no effect on the armor ability for example.
    Ah! Clarified in that manner, I can't argue your analysis.
    You're correct, though of course it doesn't necessarily preclude their being modified into having functionality.
    To this, I was attempting to note that having some minor functionality would dramatically increase interest in them.

And, I don't know. Armor Kits remove the blinding effect Marilith Chain can have on players.. ;P

Community Member

The "tricks" could be made to be useful. I.E.:

1) Fetch my mail (seems pretty obvious for a pet)
    2) go to the bank and fetch "x"
    3) "Squeeze out" a lesser arcane, body, whatever essence once an hour (of logged in time).

I'd pay for that!

I'd rather not give Turbine the ability to lose my bag due to new bugs...
    /Not signed to giving them an inventory slot. Shared bank handles this already, ty.

A better idea would be to allow them to break boxes near you with a toggle setting, IMO.

But requesting that the cosmetic only pets be functional as well seems like barking up the wrong tree to me.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Quote Originally Posted by st0rmcr0vv View Post
    The "tricks" could be made to be useful. I.E.:

1) Fetch my mail (seems pretty obvious for a pet)
    2) go to the bank and fetch "x"
    3) "Squeeze out" a lesser arcane, body, whatever essence once an hour (of logged in time).

I'd pay for that!
    ;P

Quote Originally Posted by danotmano1998 View Post
    I'd rather not give Turbine the ability to lose my bag due to new bugs...
    /Not signed to giving them an inventory slot. Shared bank handles this already, ty.

A better idea would be to allow them to break boxes near you with a toggle setting, IMO.

But requesting that the cosmetic only pets be functional as well seems like barking up the wrong tree to me.
    I just prefer things to have a solid function; As I mentioned, armor kits and hats and hair colors function in adding to or improving your own persona. Pets are more clutter. That's really a subjective matter, but adding benefits to pets would definitely increase interest in them regardless. After all, you don't have to use their benefits if they concern you- just like we don't have to use the pets now if they just bother us :P

Anyway, as I mentioned, the convenience of my idea comes in with the ready access to the slot, and in that differs from a typical shared bank account- and by being one per pet, it encourages multiple pets.

While a bit of a different topic, I do appreciate the idea of tricks having functions, but that goes a bit beyond the 'simply' element of my thread

Thumbs up

Cool, original, useful, best idea i read over here since months*!

/signed and +1

*obvious things like add a search field in TR bank escluded
    How to revamp past life reward system <--- working again
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.
    Developers should fix this

Default Patients

We are all thinking it. Turbine included.

Patients
    [CENTER]Mothergoose - Kardinal - Bunks

Default gold picker-uper

I'd like it if they simply went and picked up and spare gold/plat that was on the ground. Many times I break boxes and 1-5 play falls out. It would be so nice if, while the pet was active, it would run over and be credited to your inventory. Not items mind you, only gold/plat.

(thanks for pointing me to this thread)

Frankly, I'd be perfectly happy with a simple "take this item to bank" and "bring this item from bank" commands.

Could always add a bit of a delay during to execute the command.

( Yes, I know it's in a way a total SWTOR ripoff, but over there you tell your companions to go craft for you and go sell junk for you, and go farm junk for crafting for you. I don't want things to go that far. Just a little useful perk or two that's neato. )
    Devs: Thanks for making Druids available to VIPs without the pack. This more than anything, has made me want to buy the pack.

/not signed

They are cosmetic. They are not meant to be useful.

If you want the shared bank then buy it and support the game that you play.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast