Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Halfling Dragonmarked Shintao Monk - advice wanted

Just coming back to the game after a long hiatus (a couple of years). Going to be playing with a good friend of mine who is just coming back to the game after a longer hiatus (about 5 years). He has already built a plain-Jane assassin, so I want to build something that will keep us alive.

I already have a 20th lv cleric, 18th lv WF Wizard, and 18/1/1 halfling exploiter-esque AC build, so I'm looking for something a little different.

I thought maybe a dragonmarked halfling light shintao would give us enough healing to get by, and enough intimidate to keep most everything focused on me so my assassin friend can enjoy his skills to their fullest.

However, I've never run a monk, and after reading most of the morning, I still cannot quite decide if I'm making the most reasonable design choices.

Assumptions:

• I plan to GR at 20th, or maybe TR - so most end game stuff I don't have to worry about now
    • start at 7th (I'm catching up to my friend, and I have the expansion)
    • +3 supreme tome (logged on when they were around last year and bought a couple)
    • No epic gear (yet)
    • No T3 shroud gear (yet) (most any T2 though)
    • Most any other static item available
    • Access to any item coming from a 90/75/60 crafter, any metal type, and medium guild slots

Concerns:

• I know next to nothing about the grandmaster benefits. I chose Earth because it seemed that a lot of monks were using that line. Any info would be appreciated.
    • I chose Badger for Intimidate bonuses. HP for tortoise was nice, but as you see next, I'm concerned about intimidate, but would avoid a splash if possible.
    • I chose full monk for continuity/endcap, but I could splash fighter if it's really necessary to get my intimidate up. Knowing that I'll LR this guy (and could +1 him if needed), I think I can get away with this, but I don't know. Dmg mitigation will be keeping everything focused on me, and letting the assassin assassinate.
    • AC - ignore it completely, or recognize that it's not that hard to get into the mid 50/60s with this build and put at least a bit into it? (Dodge, icy's maybe?)
    • To hit - is this going to be a problem? do I need the finesse or can I drop it for something else?
    • DR - I'm thinking that healing amp and fists of light will be my DR (Plus I'm not that comfortable with everything that goes into building a decent DR character yet). Am I dreaming?
    • UMD - I threw a bit in there for kicks, but didn't really focus on it. Should I ditch it completely, focus on it more, or is it ok?
    • 1/2 Elf - thought about cleric dilettante, but I'm worried about scroll casting in combat. Also, my hot swapping skills aren't quite back yet. Are they significantly superior to 1/2ling? What about paladin dilettante with cure serious wands?

Basically, I want something that will allow us to duo most things, without needing to be the uberest, and without just building a dwarven battle cleric. With all of that in mind, this is my first shot at it:

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.12.01
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Level 20 Lawful Neutral Halfling Female
    (20 Monk) 
    Hit Points: 302
    Spell Points: 0 
    BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
    Fortitude: 18
    Reflex: 19
    Will: 22

Starting            Ending          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats         Base Stats         Modified Stats
    (32 Point)       (Level 1)          (Level 20)           (Level 20)
    Strength             15                 18                   18
    Dexterity            15                 18                   20
    Constitution         15                 18                   18
    Intelligence          8                 11                   11
    Wisdom               13                 21                   26
    Charisma              9                 12                   12

Tomes Used
    +3 Tome of Strength used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Dexterity used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Constitution used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Intelligence used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Wisdom used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Charisma used at level 11

Starting            Ending          Feat/Enhancement
                     Base Skills        Base Skills        Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)          (Level 20)          (Level 20)
    Balance               6                 15                   16
    Bluff                -1                  1                    1
    Concentration         6                 26                   37
    Diplomacy            -1                  1                    1
    Disable Device       n/a                n/a                   n/a
    Haggle               -1                  1                    1
    Heal                  1                  8                   10
    Hide                  2                  5                    9
    Intimidate            0                 12                   16
    Jump                  2                  4                    6
    Listen                1                  8                   10
    Move Silently         2                  5                    7
    Open Lock             n/a               n/a                   n/a
    Perform              n/a                n/a                   n/a
    Repair               -1                  0                    0
    Search               -1                  0                    0
    Spot                  1                  8                    8
    Swim                  2                  4                    4
    Tumble                n/a                6                    6
    Use Magic Device      0                 12                   12

Level 1 (Monk)
    Feat: (Selected) Least Dragonmark of Healing
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Stunning Fist

Level 2 (Monk)
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Toughness

Level 3 (Monk)
    Feat: (Monk Path) Path of Harmonious Balance: Fists of Light
    Feat: (Selected) Two Weapon Fighting

Level 4 (Monk)
    Ability Raise: WIS

Level 5 (Monk)

Level 6 (Monk)
    Feat: (Selected) Lesser Dragonmark of Healing
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Weapon Finesse

Level 7 (Monk)

Level 8 (Monk)

Level 9 (Monk)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Dragonmark of Healing

Level 10 (Monk)

Level 11 (Monk)

Level 12 (Monk)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Level 13 (Monk)

Level 14 (Monk)

Level 15 (Monk)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting

Level 16 (Monk)

Level 17 (Monk)

Level 18 (Monk)
    Feat: (Selected) Luck of Heroes

Level 19 (Monk)

Level 20 (Monk)
    Enhancement: Monk Serenity
    Enhancement: Extra Dragonmark Use I
    Enhancement: Extra Dragonmark Use II
    Enhancement: Halfling Dexterity I
    Enhancement: Halfling Dexterity II
    Enhancement: Lifting the Veil
    Enhancement: Way of the Tenacious Badger I
    Enhancement: Way of the Tenacious Badger II
    Enhancement: Way of the Tenacious Badger III
    Enhancement: Way of the Tenacious Badger IV
    Enhancement: Fists of Iron
    Enhancement: The Receptive Earth
    Enhancement: Eagle Claw Attack
    Enhancement: Restoring the Balance
    Enhancement: Monk Improved Recovery I
    Enhancement: Monk Improved Recovery II
    Enhancement: Rise of the Phoenix
    Enhancement: Shintao Monk I
    Enhancement: Shintao Monk II
    Enhancement: Shintao Monk III
    Enhancement: Difficulty at the Beginning
    Enhancement: Unbalancing Strike
    Enhancement: Adept of Rock
    Enhancement: Grandmaster of Mountains
    Enhancement: Master of Stone
    Enhancement: Adept of Flame
    Enhancement: Adept of Rain
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
    Enhancement: Improved Balance I
    Enhancement: Improved Concentration I
    Enhancement: Monk Wisdom I
    Enhancement: Monk Wisdom II
    Enhancement: Monk Wisdom III
    Last edited by Kindoki; 03-31-2012 at 03:18 PM.

I would personally pick helf with cleric Dil. I also would drop finesse, as there is alot more stacking bonuses to strength and it can reach much higher levels.
    Last edited by Havok.cry; 03-31-2012 at 03:37 PM.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    I would personally pick helf with cleric Dil. I also would drop finesse, as there is alot more stacking bonuses to strength and it can reach much higher levels.
    I definitely could go either way with finesse, adding either power attack or another toughness instead.

But why 1/2elf? Just because of the no fail scrolls? That in of itself may be enough, but I'm just curious what else 1/2elf offers to this build?

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kindoki View Post
    I definitely could go either way with finesse, adding either power attack or another toughness instead.

But why 1/2elf? Just because of the no fail scrolls? That in of itself may be enough, but I'm just curious what else 1/2elf offers to this build?
    The cleric dilly is great due to the scrolls & wands.. not just heal, but also raise, trueseeing, protection from energy, restoration, FoM/deathward (if you can find them), resist energy etc. Scroll use is pretty reliable, as being a monk you'll want very high concentration skill anyway

Also, half elves can get the same kind of stat boosts as humans (+1 racial enhancement bonus in 2 different stats), more healing amp (second only to humans) & the human versatility line.

For animal line, i've always preferred monkey - stacking energy resistance is nice to help negate inoming harm particularly from those annoying ranged attackers, tortoise is good for more hp & hound can be a nice one too to boost to-hit when flanking - pretty handy in epic level stuff.

For elemental line, i like earth - the damage resistance is another survivability boost & the extra aggro generation will help you keep attention away from your friend for their backstabs, plus you'll crit that much harder, though naturally less often than from the uber speed boost you can get in air stance. It's more a matter of preference though, all the elements have their own advantage. Regardless, I'd suggest taking water to 2nd tier for unbalancing strike to make the enemy vulnerable to sneak attacks & trips, and taking earth as high as you can conveniently afford since the earth strike adds to base damage, and will be multiplied appropriately on crits.

Regarding potential splashes... can do i guess, though the DR, +2 wisdom & effectively double the maximum stable ki reserve are things i'd be very unwilling to give up without some serious alternative benefits.

One little suggestion - keep a superior ardor clicky (just level 1 is sufficient) or a stack of greater ardor 1 pots.. they'll boost the healing from your Healing Ki finisher quite nicely. On my own capped helf monk (currently a lil over 100% healing amp) i can get back 80-120ish HP from that with the ardor clicky active.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    stuff
    If I went HElf, and was very scroll heavy, would I skip the rise of the Phoenix line? Would I even go light monk, or is straight scroll healing going to be enough for non epic content, so I should go dark? I didn't think it would be, which is why I chose light.

Also, without badger, would I still have a decent enough intim for it to be useful?

Even with the extra aggro from earth, will my dmg be enough for it to pull off a backstabbing rogue? That was the reason that I wanted intim in the first place, figuring that I wouldn't be able win the DPS fight and keep up the healing.

If I went HElf, and was very scroll heavy, would I skip the rise of the Phoenix line? Would I even go light monk, or is straight scroll healing going to be enough for non epic content, so I should go dark? I didn't think it would be, which is why I chose light.

Also, without badger, would I still have a decent enough intim for it to be useful?

Even with the extra aggro from earth, will my dmg be enough for it to pull off a backstabbing rogue? That was the reason that I wanted intim in the first place, figuring that I wouldn't be able win the DPS fight and keep up the healing.
    I wouldn't take rise of the phoenix no matter what...healing amp is much more useful (and still qualifies), and rise of the phoenix only duplicates the effect of raise clickies.
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

I'd just go with the healing amp line, more useful overall for personal survivability & less AP-intensive. The extra aggro generation is pretty good, and so long as your friend takes steps to minimise their aggro generation too (subtle backstabbing) & maybe makes sure to have diplomacy (which will dump them to the bottom of the enemies aggro lists.. take Cleave as your qualifying shintao feat & u can use that to hit a group to help keep groups focussed on you too) i don't think it should be a problem.

Regarding the scroll healing for non-epic.. yeah should be sufficient in many things particularly if you make sure to take a methodical playstyle, however the light side stuff is still IMO pretty sweet.. it'll make a noticeable difference if you're topping off hp in the middle & just after fights with healing ki, and you'll bypass DR on most things too without worrying about gear. The additional CC is fun too

It's more a matter of personal preference though, a couple of my guildies (currently on hiatus) duoed their way to cap with an assassin rogue & dark monk combo, working together, sneaking through everything & using assassinate & touch of death to take out enemies quickly & effectively, i think (cant remember off the top of my head) they were also using Sap to immobilise some to help with larger groups too... so that could be another thing to bear in mind as a playstyle possibility.

Dragon mark has limited number of uses and scrolls dont would be the main thing, but also the halflings str penalty is annoying imho.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Community Member

I would not want a finesse build that couldnt fit power attack.
    Wherever you went - here you are.

True facts about HElf.

The scroll heal/raising of the Cleric Dil would be a much better option imo than the dragonmark line. This is going to free up your feats for much needed things like Improved Critical: Bludg and Weapon Focus: Bludg.

I would ignore trying to fit Intim into the build unless you splashed. Concentration, Jump, Balance and some tumble will be more important to you since you can't get the full intim line. Also, trying to buff the intim via enhancements is going to take up a lot of your enhancement points which are already needed elsewhere.

As for enhancements, the animals paths are neat, but a full investment seems a bit much. As I learned from my own attempts at building monks, and others were helpful enough to point out, you're going to have some too hit problems. I'd consider the Human Versatility line to help adjust for this until 20. Also look at buying the two extra Improved Recovery enhancements. If you're buddy is going to play a rogue, he'll be able to wand whip and heal scroll you as much as you can him. Getting bigger heals off of a from 150% natural healing amp will make self healing/recieving heals from the Rogue a lot less of a paniced shuffle while eyeing cool downs for the next click.

Default 1/2 Elf it is

Ok, you've all talked me into Helf.

I'll still try the intimidate option as I should be able to get my intimidate to somewhere north of 20 to start. I think, at lv7, that should be enough to work for a bit. Then, if it doesn't seem to be necessary, or isn't working, or I really need more to hit, I may spec out of it.

Also, to verify, in order to get to no fail heal scrolls, I need to take all three levels of Helf dilettante enhancements (cast as a 10th level cleric)?

Yes you'll need to take all 3 tiers of the dilly.. the 3rd tier you'll get at level 15 iirc, and will count as a level 10 cleric for scroll use purposes. Since clerics get the spell to cast from memory at 11th level, you'll actually only have 95% success chance, but level 5 & below scrolls will be at the full 100% and level 7 are something like 75% iirc.

I have some advice: ignore the min-maxers (i.e. all the people who responded to your post). If you wanna roll a dragonmarked halfling then roll it, just don't gimp it completely. So yeah, weapon finesse is out. Pick up a wizard level so you get Maximize and some cool wands. Pick up a cleric level so you can take Empower Healing and some more cool wands. You'll do fine if you know how to play the game. And if you don't know, rolling a half-elf isn't gonna make much difference.
    On Thelanis: Survo ... Wattr ... Tigerpalm ... Cranefist ... Hobbson ... Grayed ... Shadowstance ... Smashcut

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian99 View Post
    I have some advice: ignore the min-maxers (i.e. all the people who responded to your post). If you wanna roll a dragonmarked halfling then roll it, just don't gimp it completely. So yeah, weapon finesse is out. Pick up a wizard level so you get Maximize and some cool wands. Pick up a cleric level so you can take Empower Healing and some more cool wands. You'll do fine if you know how to play the game. And if you don't know, rolling a half-elf isn't gonna make much difference.
    Wha...?

As a level 1 wizard, you'd only get to use first level arcane wands, and you'd need at least 11 intelligence to cast spells.

As a level 1 cleric, you'd only get to use first level divine wands, and Clerics don't get bonus feats, so you'd only end up clogging your next feat slot for Empower Healing. (Not that monks have a particular shortage of feat slots)

Other than access to those two feats, I'm really not sure what taking levels in wizard or cleric actually gives you, considering those "Awesome wands" are going to be all level 1 spells being cast at level 1.
    Once I get my moods under control, I might actually get a character past level 7... ooh, shiny!

Paladins got some love! Now for Warpriests...

Quote Originally Posted by Zachski View Post
    Wha...?

As a level 1 wizard, you'd only get to use first level arcane wands, and you'd need at least 11 intelligence to cast spells.

As a level 1 cleric, you'd only get to use first level divine wands, and Clerics don't get bonus feats, so you'd only end up clogging your next feat slot for Empower Healing. (Not that monks have a particular shortage of feat slots)

Other than access to those two feats, I'm really not sure what taking levels in wizard or cleric actually gives you, considering those "Awesome wands" are going to be all level 1 spells being cast at level 1.
    You can use wands of any level with one level of a class, as long as it's on the spell list.
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

Quote Originally Posted by Zachski View Post
    Wha...?

As a level 1 cleric, you'd only get to use first level divine wands, and Clerics don't get bonus feats, so you'd only end up clogging your next feat slot for Empower Healing.
    I see, so you must have some experience above and beyond what the contributors to DDOWiki have. And I quote:

"A character cannot use a wand unless one of the following conditions is met:

The character has at least one level of a class whose spell list contains the wand's spell, and his overall character level meets the wand's minimum level."

But anyway, my point is, if you're going for a dragonmarked halfling, the power of your dragonmarks is greatly enhanced by Maximize and Empower Healing, which as a melee toon are best acquired with 1 level of Wizard and 1 level of Cleric. The fact that doing so also gives you access to Cure Critical Wounds, Blur, Resist Energy, Recitation, Shield, Magic Circle Against Evil, and some other assorted wands is a bonus.
    On Thelanis: Survo ... Wattr ... Tigerpalm ... Cranefist ... Hobbson ... Grayed ... Shadowstance ... Smashcut

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian99 View Post
    This isn't the only way to go, but it's one practical way. I have a build similar to that, Yzelle on Sarlona, not high level yet, only 8th, but it's working beautifully so far. It's especially good for me because I'm a soloist more often than not, and it's quite self-sufficient. (It's the HHHH build referenced below.)

The main point of a dragonmarked halfling with a wiz level isn't the wands you can use (though that's nice) or the very few spells you can cast, but in metamagics (empower and maximize) to pump up the power of your dragonmark healing, making it potent enough to stay useful at endgame.

Check out Thanimal's HHHH (Helli the Hellacious Hammerin' Halflin') build. It's 12 fighter (Kensai II), 7 monk (Shintao, Ninja Spy or neither freeing up some AP's, whatever you like), 1 wizard. It's the same idea as the popular 12/8 fighter/monk builds, with the insight that the 8th monk level doesn't really do much beyond the 7th, so why not try something else in place of it? And that class combination gives you feats to burn, so you don't miss out on anything important by spending 3 feats on the dragonmarks and 2 on the metamagics.

(P.S.: I have some straight monk experience too, a 19 halfling ninja spy with the experience banked for 20, waiting on the rest of my static group to level. Monks in any form are fun!)
    Last edited by Izdaari; 04-04-2012 at 06:29 PM.

I stand corrected.

That being said, I still don't see how such a thing will be useful. Outside of buffs and spells that don't really gain benefit from leveling up, those wands aren't going to be very useful.
    Once I get my moods under control, I might actually get a character past level 7... ooh, shiny!

Paladins got some love! Now for Warpriests...

Hi. I happen to have a level 20, lightly epic'd (the easy ones: cove & challenges), dragonmarked halfling shintao pure monk. I am VERY MUCH looking forward to a TR to half-elf w/cleric dill ninja spy pure monk. Did I mention the VERY MUCH part? Let me make sure: VERY MUCH.

At high levels, 3 charges of heal doesn't cut it, especially for three feats. I made the character before half-elves were even a gleam in a developer's eye though, so halfling + dragonmarks was the best there was.

My rec: helf w/cleric dilly (or rogue if you get into raiding -- a single feat swap + enh reset so not that expensive) pure ninja spy monk. Shoot for earth4, void4, and ToD the rest is gravy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhysem View Post
    Hi. I happen to have a level 20, lightly epic'd (the easy ones: cove & challenges), dragonmarked halfling shintao pure monk. I am VERY MUCH looking forward to a TR to half-elf w/cleric dill ninja spy pure monk. Did I mention the VERY MUCH part? Let me make sure: VERY MUCH.

At high levels, 3 charges of heal doesn't cut it, especially for three feats. I made the character before half-elves were even a gleam in a developer's eye though, so halfling + dragonmarks was the best there was.

My rec: helf w/cleric dilly (or rogue if you get into raiding -- a single feat swap + enh reset so not that expensive) pure ninja spy monk. Shoot for earth4, void4, and ToD the rest is gravy.
    I wouldn't even try a dragonmarked halfling pure monk. Couldn't spare 3 feats for them without the fighter levels, and the dragonmarks don't do enough without the metamagics pumping them up. But as you say, there wasn't anything better back then.

But that helf ninja spy idea should be real strong.
    Last edited by Izdaari; 04-04-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast