Default make prestige what they really are?

hmm i was thinking perhaps we should return to the traditional prestige by rule.. i mean prestige shouldn't be bound to class. at least most of them shouldn't.. i mean by rule sorc and bard or any other arcane cater can become pale master, but this isn't true here in ddo..

now since we are getting enhancement redo, perhaps we could open up some restriction and make prestige what they really are.

p.s. we could keep several enhancement restrict to certain class/race. like AA are restrict to elf and half elf. but do make several prestige open for majority of the class.
    Last edited by decease; 03-28-2012 at 11:07 PM.

I understand where you are coming from. I came to DDO from Neverwinter Nights.

The only problem I see is that it would be a complete game change much bigger than the upcoming enhancement change. Considering all the time and effort people have put into their characters, and how such a change would basically scrap any current character, the public outcry would be horrendous. Epic Fail. lol.
    Jyn... Kender... Thelanis

*Insert clever comment here*

This has been suggested a number of times before, at least once by me and at least a few times in the enhancement thread.

If the qualifications are feat / capability etc. based as in PNP, this could make some fun combinations. Air Savant / Stormsinger. Archmage Sorc. Radiant Servant Paladin. Tempest Barbarian. Acrobat Bard.

Some of these will be possible in the new system, though possibly with a race restriction or weighting.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

I'd wait to see what the new enhancements look like before getting too involved with requests.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Quote Originally Posted by danotmano1998 View Post
    I'd wait to see what the new enhancements look like before getting too involved with requests.
    Yep - though we already know some combinations will be possible that aren't today - at least at a high level.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Community Member

pls remember that with that introduction the prestige classes would have to vanish from the enhancement line and must be introduced as classes to pick from, so basicly every prestige class would need crossclassing. Also the multiclass rules should apply then, leaving unfavored crossclasses with less aps/lvls as the xp drawback wouldnt have much impact on a closed xp system.
    Thelanis: Errtu-1, Cherubael, Nararian, Seyria, Yarrrkk, Apothecarius, Tarcus-1, Kheradruakh, Evesor, Experimentum

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJi72 View Post

The only problem I see is that it would be a complete game change much bigger than the upcoming enhancement change. Considering all the time and effort people have put into their characters, and how such a change would basically scrap any current character, the public outcry would be horrendous. Epic Fail. lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimethiefXVI View Post
    pls remember that with that introduction the prestige classes would have to vanish from the enhancement line and must be introduced as classes to pick from, so basicly every prestige class would need crossclassing. Also the multiclass rules should apply then, leaving unfavored crossclasses with less aps/lvls as the xp drawback wouldnt have much impact on a closed xp system.

the thing is, turbine already confirm that half elf and human may choose any prestige at a slightly higher cost. which also interpreted to true prestige class will not harm game balance.

Scholar Of Adventure Lost_Leader's Avatar

To go to a traditional PnP Prestige system would have Prestiges be class levels, not enhancement lines. There is really no way to make that work now. To remove class limitations from prestige enhancements is an interesting thought, and one that has been brought up before. It gets into arguments of balance with multiple prestiges.

The hints of the new enhancement system have me cautiously optimistic for releasing some of the class restrictions by adding racial prestige unlocking, but keeping some game balance.

Hold out for the new enhancement system, then we can begin our nitpicking.
    Leader of the Lost Legions
    ~Sarlona~

I'd personally love to be a Pale Master Cleric..... +2 wisdom without plashing a monk...

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Question

Pale Master Cleric ? Having a Death Aura surrounding one self meanwhile healing all those group membeers who happen to stand within that Aura ?

Oww

Favored Soul as a Savant? - I want this toy .
    Assassin 20 Monk <- second thing I would do.

Quote Originally Posted by decease View Post
    the thing is, turbine already confirm that half elf and human may choose any prestige at a slightly higher cost. which also interpreted to true prestige class will not harm game balance.
    The way I read what they said is human and helves can be any racial pre. Like stalwart or tempest but not PM or savant etc.
    Sarlona: Lousypher, Elathi, Elizof, Niti, Littwo, Shawker, Tygr

Community Member DeafeningWhisper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kayla93 View Post
    Oww

Assassin 20 Monk <- second thing I would do.
    Hafling racial prestige currently announced = assassin, enjoy
    "Pike or do not. There is no lag."

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    Pale Master Cleric ? Having a Death Aura surrounding one self meanwhile healing all those group membeers who happen to stand within that Aura ?
    death aura is a wiz/sorc spell but a PM cleric can still self heal... hard to imagine how hard the Harms will hit for... I don't think it would be overpowered....

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJi72 View Post

Pfff, like that's ever had any effect on past changes.

I seriously doubt this would be a factor at all.
    <------Pay no attention to the join date, played pre-launch in EU & moved to U.S. servers.

Quote Originally Posted by DeafeningWhisper View Post
    Hafling racial prestige currently announced = assassin, enjoy
    If it becomes true, Ill probably die in happines xD
    Even if I would have to end up dual wielding shortswords xD.

hmm i was thinking perhaps we should return to the traditional prestige by rule.. i mean prestige shouldn't be bound to class. at least most of them shouldn't.. i mean by rule sorc and bard or any other arcane cater can become pale master, but this isn't true here in ddo..

now since we are getting enhancement redo, perhaps we could open up some restriction and make prestige what they really are.

p.s. we could keep several enhancement restrict to certain class/race. like AA are restrict to elf and half elf. but do make several prestige open for majority of the class.
    I've been a proponent of having a selection of prestige enchantments not limited to class since well before the new system made it much more feasible to do so.

If nothing else, the Spellsword would be a great addition through that method.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
    Fly? That would break every quest in the game. You would see folks falling from the sky in Korthos and dying. It would be a rain of newbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Yeah. It's not "we nuked the city from orbit", it's "the city experienced a brief population drop". Check.

Community Member

Not confirmed by any means. Turbine stated that they were CURRENTLY leaning towards Human and Half-elf being able to take "any" prestige line but not set in stone or confirmed. Later postings indicated that they may look into limiting those races based on what classes they have (maybe meaning different classes get access to a different set of human/h-elf racial PRE).

Currently also no indication of caster PRE at all for racial. I think this is largely due to limitations of SLA and the fact that multiple PRE can lead to grossly overpowered Arcanes. Sorc Savant line + Wiz PM = highest DPS and great instant kill on faster casted spells..... prob want to limit that combination.