Default animal companions by any chance?

well we have artificer.. which is sorta the upgrade version of ranger... now.. do we get animal companion?

Quote Originally Posted by decease View Post
    well we have artificer.. which is sorta the upgrade version of ranger... now.. do we get animal companion?
    Good question ... I wonder why no one else ever asked that.

There have been hints but nothing solid
    Halloween is dead on DDO.
    Kobalds stole it

Community Member

I think it was said somewhere (I forgot where though) that Druids will get animal companions.. but not sure if they mean an actual commandable Arti pet like one.. or just the typical nature's ally spell list like rangers got...

Quote Originally Posted by Ruvel View Post
    I think it was said somewhere (I forgot where though) that Druids will get animal companions.. but not sure if they mean an actual commandable Arti pet like one.. or just the typical nature's ally spell list like rangers got...
    Natures ally is in dire need of adjusting the CR on the summons... Cmon, a lv 6 cat for a lv 14 ranger is kinda low.... Or, get both druids and rangers animal familiars like in pen and paper.

"Hikari datte, yami datte, kitto"

Into light, into darkness, surely.

The ranger's animal summons is sad considering his level
    and the animals CR.

The druid will get better use out of the spell because
    the level 1 druid gets the animal summon 1...not a level 5 or 7 (don't remember exact level) druid,
    like the ranger is stuck with.

Stay Vertical !
    Halloween is dead on DDO.
    Kobalds stole it

Quote Originally Posted by fatherpirate View Post
    The ranger's animal summons is sad considering his level
    and the animals CR.

The druid will get better use out of the spell because
    the level 1 druid gets the animal summon 1...not a level 5 or 7 (don't remember exact level) druid,
    like the ranger is stuck with.

Stay Vertical !
    don't forget bard, their rank 6 summon are just as useless.

From MMORRPOG http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...w-.html/page/1

The launch of this pet class, Fernando confirmed, is part of their development of mechanics that leads them a step closer to the Druid class. Future plans also encompass familiars for Sorcerers and Animal Companions for Rangers.
    When I posted this question a while back
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladedge View Post
    So rangers, sorcs and wizards are not getting anaimal companions like the Artificers Iron Defender?
    Malphunktion reply was

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    I never said anything about those.

Who knows what the future will bring with those woodland classes.
    From this i say animal companions are probably still in development and Turbine is waiting till after Druids to release them.
    HEY, I'M TRYING TO SOLVE THAT!
    STOP TOUCHING MY PUZZLE!
    TOUCH MY PUZZLE ONE MORE TIME AND YOU'LL BE SORRY!
    PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS GAME -- I QUIT! AND YOU SHALL DIE!

Community Member

Hm, if this thread was moved to the MotU forum is that an indicator of something? Or am I reading too much into it?

(or possibly misremembering where it was originally posted)

*Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyerz View Post
    Or, get both druids and rangers animal familiars like in pen and paper.
    While I agree that rangers had animal companions in PnP, those animal companions were half the level of a full druid's, which would still pretty much have them being useless after level 10 or so. also, if I recall, a ranger had to choose ranged, or melee, at level 2, and did not recieve both lines for free, which I personally see as more then adequate compensation for the loss of the companions.

If the animal companions happen, I could see them getting a pet of 75% of the strength of a druid by sacrificing one of their combat styles in exchange.

just my $0.02

With the abysmal performance of the Artificer dogs, I'm not convinced they will even be worth the effort, TBH.

BUT.. The panther companion is the shining example of what was done RIGHT in a summon/hire.

I'm not sure if that was because they are special order only and you had to purchase it, or if it was just pure coincidence that they work and the standard one does not.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotmano1998 View Post
    With the abysmal performance of the Artificer dogs, I'm not convinced they will even be worth the effort, TBH.

BUT.. The panther companion is the shining example of what was done RIGHT in a summon/hire.

I'm not sure if that was because they are special order only and you had to purchase it, or if it was just pure coincidence that they work and the standard one does not.
    My Artificer's Dog works 95%+ of the time, and rarely goes 'brain dead'. However, I do not have any of the combat tactics enhancements on it (no trip, sunder, etc.).

That being said, I agree that the Panther never seems to go brain dead, although it could use a 'resting' animation for when it shrines.

Edit: Noted over the weekend the dog going 'brain dead' a litte more often, but still was function more often than not. The panther never went 'brain dead'.
    Last edited by MrkGrismer; 04-02-2012 at 09:21 AM.

*Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruvel View Post
    I know that it was said, by Fernando I think, that the Artificer was a test bed of sorts for the Driud Animal Companion. They wanted to realease a new class last year, and knew that Druid wouldn't be ready so they decided on Artificer so they could test some of the systems developed for Druid.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Yes, I recall a similar comment as well. I think it was in the interview at Gamebanshee.

Edit : Found it :

Apart from that, like you were sort of alluding to, there’s just a lot of work that goes with realizing the druid and making them good. So that’s one of the reasons that last year we ended up doing the artificer class, because we didn’t get our shapeshifting tech in time so that we could do the druid last year but we also knew that we would be very busy this year with the expansion in the first half of the year and we just needed to get ahead on things. So we built the artificer as our first pet class so that we could build some of those mechanics and some reusable bits of technology and some learnings from how players liked the artificer and what we can do better so that the druid could be really great as far as having an animal companion.
    Source : http://www.gamebanshee.com/interview...ew/page-2.html
    And that's page 2 of 4 pages of that interview.
    Last edited by Alrik_Fassbauer; 03-31-2012 at 05:25 AM.

The Hatchery
    2015 DDO Players Council

6 or 7? My ranger *wishes* the summons spell was 6 or 7! That sucker's CR *4*. At level 14. It's good for about 10 seconds of aggro, if you're lucky.

And while the bard's summons aren't wonderful, my capped bard finds the bearded devil (SM V, I believe?) to be absolutely excellent - but she's a virt, so being able to give him constant healing probably helps.

But yes, if druids come with animal companions and rangers still don't get one, my ranger is gonna be most upset (I don't much care about wizards, they're powerful enough already, and I don't have one *g*)
    "Ignorance killed the cat, sir; curiosity was framed."
    Tripoint, C.J. Cherryh