Default Mass Teleport spell question

Hi everybody

I was wondering one thing: why the Mass Teleport spell can only be used in explorer areas and dungeons?
    Everytime I want to take 1 or more friends to the Portable Hole with my sorc, we must go to Searing Heights or so, instead of casting the spell in a public space. Is there a special reason for that? I mean, in a dungeon, thats rarely needed, as we would end up not finishing the quest with the same effect as recalling. Haste, Exp Retreat, and so many buffs and even Artis rune arms work on public areas, so I really don't understand why a so very usefull spell can't also be used in there.

Thank you

It can be used for too much griefing, even with the "Yes/No" dialog box.

If you teleport someone low enough level to say, the Twilight Forge, they cannot get out without a /death. If that person was doing banking, selling, or repairing, your dialog box could pop up over the one that they wanted to hit.

But even so, the spell could affect only my party members among all the other players around us, and as such, they would know when I would cast it and be ready for it. About the toon level, I can take a lvl 1 with my lvl 20 sorc in an explorer area, so It would be pretty much as currently is, if I could do the same in a public area.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by msdesign View Post
    But even so, the spell could affect only my party members among all the other players around us, and as such, they would know when I would cast it and be ready for it. About the toon level, I can take a lvl 1 with my lvl 20 sorc in an explorer area, so It would be pretty much as currently is, if I could do the same in a public area.
    Not really, have you even been hasted accidentally in public spaces? i'll be running on a toon and suddenly "whoosh" from behind someone jumped over and a quick blur of green circle.

Yes I have been hasted and casted with a whole lot other spells in public spaces.

But that is precisely what I'm saying here. If there are so many spells that we can use in public spaces, why did the devs choose the option to not to use the Mass Teleport the same way? What is the technical restriction, or other whatsoever, that made them choose it that way?

If the spell could be used in a public space, they could have programmed the spell to affect only our party members, so we wouldn't teleport strange people wherever we wanted to take our friends to.

An example: DDoor can only be cast on a dungeon or explorer area. I think that is very ok (no sense in casting a DD in the Market just so I can get to the last gate I used, altough could be funny to see other people walking in there too and taking the ride).

Quote Originally Posted by msdesign View Post
    If the spell could be used in a public space, they could have programmed the spell to affect only our party members, so we wouldn't teleport strange people wherever we wanted to take our friends to.
    Currently, spells in public can't differentiate between party and non-party members. I personally would rather have programming effort spent on fixing the numerous bugs than change the public casting behaviour for a single spell, that just as easily works by going into a private area.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarisa View Post
    Currently, spells in public can't differentiate between party and non-party members. I personally would rather have programming effort spent on fixing the numerous bugs than change the public casting behaviour for a single spell, that just as easily works by going into a private area.
    I agree on that. Its no biggie take party members to a nearby explorer area and use the scroll, just wanted to know if there was some special reason for that. If all non-self spells affect all players around us, party members or not, it makes sense.

Community Member

When you enter explorer area you loose all your buffs and thing like warp time too. And without rest you cant recast it until you visit tavern or something.

Quote Originally Posted by ruskeycom View Post
    When you enter explorer area you loose all your buffs and thing like warp time too. And without rest you cant recast it until you visit tavern or something.
    Lose.

Then choose your explorer area/quest wisely i.e. with a shrine near the entrance if you really need Warp Time after GT.

GT usually brings you closer to where you want to go, you don't need warp time.
    If it's a quest, your buffs will disappear anyway.
    If it's the Portable Hole, well it's a tavern area so ...