Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Swashbuckler

Default Swashbuckler

UPDATE: There is a new thread here which discusses the latest changes to Swashbuckler.

Hi! We’re writing to give you an early look at the Swashbuckler, an upcoming Bard Prestige Enhancement line coming to DDO with Update 22. A major focus of Swashbuckler is a new style of fighting in DDO: Single-Weapon Fighting. We’re working on creating a line of Single-Weapon Fighting Feats, similar in power and scope to Two-Weapon and Two-Handed Fighting, tentatively giving some Dodge and Armor Piercing (ignoring enemy Fortification.) The Swashbuckler also supports Thrown Weapon builds. The Swashbuckler’s Sonic damage scales with Spellpower in most places.

We believe having the Swashbuckler focus on Single-Weapon Fighting makes for interesting build options, both for pure Bards and multi-classed characters. We’ve also worked to make sure that players can spend a moderate amount of points in the Swashbuckler tree and receive good benefits, even if the build isn’t focusing on Single-Weapon Fighting. We’re hoping to find time to improve Warchanter and Spellsinger as well, although those improvements are likely more limited in scope, and those changes may end up delayed beyond the launch of Update 22.

Please take a look at the Swashbuckler, and give us your comments, general ideas, and larger reactions in addition to feedback on individual abilities. As usual, this is an early look, so details may change, including names, individual numbers, including AP costs, and any balance concerns (which we welcome your input on.)

Core Abilities

• 1 AP, class level 1: Swift Strikes: Passive: +1% Dodge.
    • 5 AP, class level 3: Swashbuckling: Defensive Stance: You gain 1% Doublestrike and Doubleshot as well as +1 to the Enhancement Bonus of the weapon in your main hand. Swashbuckling requires wielding a Finesseable or Thrown weapon in your main hand, wielding a Buckler or nothing in your off hand, and wearing Light Armor or no armor. (Druids cannot Swashbuckle while in animal forms.)
      • Passive: While Swashbuckling, the following weapons receive Competence bonuses to their critical profiles:
        Dagger, Shortsword, Throwing Dagger: +1 Threat Range, +1 Multiplier
        Light Mace, Sickle, Dart, Shuriken, Throwing Axe, Throwing Hammer: +2 Threat Range, +1 Multiplier
        Kukri, Rapier: +1 Multiplier
        Handaxe: +2 Range
        Light Pick: +1 Range

• 10 AP, class level 6: Uncanny Dodge: You gain the Uncanny Dodge feat. Passive: Swashbuckling grants an additional 1% Doublestrike, 1% Doubleshot, and +1 Damage.
    • 20 AP, class level 12: Panache: While Swashbuckling, you gain +1% Dodge, 1% Doublestrike, 1% Doubleshot, +1 Damage, +1 Reflex Saving Throw, and the weapon in your main hand gains an additional +1 to its Enhancement bonus.
    • 30 AP, class level 18: Roll with the Punches: While Swashbuckling, you gain +5 Insight Bonus to Character Dodge Cap, the Slippery Mind feat, +1% Doublestrike, 1% Doubleshot, and +1 Damage.
    • 41 AP, class level 20: Evasive Maneuvers: +2 CHA, +2 DEX.While Swashbuckling, you gain the Evasion feat, +1% Doublestrike, 1% Doubleshot, +1 Damage, and the weapon in your main hand gains an additional +1 to its Enhancement bonus.

Tier One

1. On Your Toes: +1/2/3 Dodge
    2. Blow By Blow:
      1. Multiselector: Melee or Thrown Attack: Make an attack with +(1/2/3) critical threat range that deals extra Sonic damage, and reduces your threat with nearby enemies. This sonic damage scales with Spell Power.

3. Multiselector: Insults
      1. Scathing Words: Activate to reduce the Fortitude saves of nearby enemies by 3. (Costs Spell Points, moderate cooldown)
      2. Cutting Jibes: Activate to reduce the Will saves of nearby enemies by 3. (Costs Spell Points, moderate cooldown)
      3. Appalling Diatribe: Activate to reduce the Reflex saves of nearby enemies by 3. (Costs Spell Points, moderate cooldown)

4. Tavern Shanties: +1/2/3 Bard Songs.
    5. Limber Up: +(1/2/3) to Balance, Jump, Swim, and Tumble. 3rd Rank: When you Tumble, you gain +3 to saves against traps for 6 seconds. 12 second cooldown.

Tier Two

1. En Pointe: Melee Attack: Make an attack with +4/8/12 critical threat range, but -1 Critical Multiplier. Costs Spell Points to activate.
    2. Deflect Arrows: You gain the benefits of the Deflect Arrows feat, knocking aside one incoming projectile that would have struck you every 6/4/2 seconds. (Antireq Tempest Deflect Arrows)
    3. Aqua Vitae: Gain 3 Temporary Hit Points per Bard Level for 9 seconds. Heal 1d6 HP every two seconds while the temporary hitpoints persist. (Long cooldown).
    4. Sword Dance: While Swashbuckling, when enemies miss you in combat, you deal 1d10/1d12/1d20 Sonic Damage. Scales with Spell Power. (This triggers off of various miss chances, including Dodge, Armor Class, Displacement, etc.)
    5. Multiselector:
      1. Action Boost: Doublestrike: You gain +10/20/30% Action Boost bonus to Doublestrike for 20 seconds. Usable 5 times per rest.
      2. Action Boost: Doubleshot: You gain +10/20/30% Action Boost bonus to Doubleshot for 20 seconds. Usable 5 times per rest.

Tier Three

1. Elegant Footwork: When enemies miss you while Swashbuckling, they have a small chance to be knocked down with no save. Cooldown: 12 seconds.
    2. Swashbuckling Style:
      1. Dashing Scoundrel: While Swashbuckling with nothing in your off hand, you gain +1 Damage per 5 Character levels and 7% Doublestrike/Doubleshot.
      2. Skirmisher: While Swashbuckling with a Buckler in your off hand, you gain 7% Dodge.
      3. Arcane Marauder: You can now Swashbuckle with an Orb in your off hand. (Does not count as a Buckler for Buckler-specific abilities). Requires Magical Training.
      4. Cannoneer: You can now Swashbuckle with a Rune Arm in your off hand. (Does not count as a Buckler for Buckler-specific abilities). Requires Runearm Proficiency.

3. Resonant Arms: While Swashbuckling, the Finesseable or Thrown weapon in your main hand deals an additional 2d6/4d6/6d6 Sonic Damage on critical hits.This Sonic damage scales with spellpower.
    4. Fast Movement: You run faster. Additional Bard levels increases the speed bonus.
    5. CHA/DEX

Tier Four

1. On the Mark: Passive +1/2/3 to attack rolls to confirm critical hits and damage on critical hits (before weapon multipliers)
    2. Multiselector: Swashbuckling Style II
      1. Slap in the Face: While Swashbuckling and wielding nothing in your off hand, activate to deal 1 Bludgeon damage. Damaged enemies can't cast spells for 3/6/9 seconds and are stunned for one second (Perform + d20 saves for the Stun). 18 second cooldown. Costs 10 Spell Points.
      2. Low Blow: While Swashbuckling and wielding a Buckler in your off hand, activate to perform a shield bash with +2 Critical Threat Range and Multiplier. On hit, briefly knock down affected enemy (Perform + d20 saves for the Knockdown). Costs 10 Spell Points.
      3. Loud & Clear:Toggle: While Swashbuckling with an Orb in your off hand, +10 Sonic Spell Power.
      4. Tune Arm/Music Box: Toggle: While Swashbuckling with a Rune Arm in your off hand, your Rune Arm Weapon Imbue deals an additional 1d6 Sonic damage.

3. Battering Barrage: (2 AP, 2 ranks) While Swashbuckling, critical hits inflict Destruction/Improved Destruction.
    4. Wind at my Back: +1 to the Enhancement Bonus of your equipped Throwing Weapons, plus an additional +1 for every five Bard levels.
    5. CHA/DEX

Tier Five

1. Thread the Needle: While Swashbuckling, +5 Damage while the Precision feat is active.
    2. Exploit Weaknesses:While Swashbuckling, every time you damage an enemy but do not critically hit, you gain a stacking +1 Insight Bonus to Critical Threat Range until you successfully critically hit.
    Last edited by Cordovan; 05-01-2014 at 12:21 PM. Reason: clarified Swashbuckling passive

I like it.

Possible changes:

3.Multiselector: Insults
    1.Scathing Words: Activate to reduce the Fortitude saves of nearby enemies by 3. (Costs Spell Points, moderate cooldown)
    2.Cutting Jibes: Activate to reduce the Will saves of nearby enemies by 3. (Costs Spell Points, moderate cooldown)
    3.Appalling Diatribe: Activate to reduce the Reflex saves of nearby enemies by 3. (Costs Spell Points, moderate cooldown)

Can these be toggle on, or extremely quick casting?

and this:

3.Loud & Clear:Toggle: While Swashbuckling with an Orb in your off hand, +10 Sonic Spell Power.

Bards damage with sonic spells has been usually terrible, can we improve this in some way?
    10 sonic spell power is nothing for them.

Opsay, I just notice this is live, have at it boys!

I'd say that each core ability should give Sonic spell power. Perhaps +5 for each core selected, with perhaps a bigger bonus, +15? for staying pure. Or maybe +1 for each AP spent in the tree (like others).

Otherwise, I'm intrigued by this. Can we get some more details on the Single-weapon style feats? While I agree they have to be equal in power in to THF and TWF, but they should also offer something else to make them unique and worthwhile dps wise, otherwise I'm afraid people will stick with what we already have because they're better.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Looks like almost no changes were made from council feedback since the last iteration, very weak tree, will be mostly ignored except for flavor/RP players.

Waste of Dev time just like, "protector" tree and Eldritch Knight tree.

Why are you guys afraid to make Bard's relevant? Three really bad Bard trees = 1 really bad class.

Edit: I posted this to the PC forum apparently this thread is visible in the main forums as well: that being the case I'd like to say sorry guys, some of us tried... they are not particularly listening to the player council... though there are certainly some PC members who like this tree.

I'd say howl and howl loudly and maybe they will wake up to just how lame this tree is... Now that this is live can you guys also announce 3BC specifics so the player base can see how out of touch that's going to be as well?
    Last edited by IronClan; 04-24-2014 at 01:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    You can't possibly design good gameplay if excitement unpredictability and unknowns are NOT ALLOWED because they confuse some players who want everything cut and dried and spelled out for them.

Single weapon fighting feats? Will they apply with a shield in the offhand, or are they being tailored specifically to only work with "swashbuckling"?
    If they WILL work when you have a shield equipped, are you going to change the way that dwarven axes and bastard swords interact with shield users and the THF feats?

Community Member

How about we fix bugs before opening up new enhancements? :3

Looks pretty useless to me.

Am glad your looking at making bards more powerful though :3

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    [*]Multiselector: Insults
    1. Scathing Words: Activate to reduce the Fortitude saves of nearby enemies by 3. (Costs Spell Points, moderate cooldown)
    2. Cutting Jibes: Activate to reduce the Will saves of nearby enemies by 3. (Costs Spell Points, moderate cooldown)
    3. Appalling Diatribe: Activate to reduce the Reflex saves of nearby enemies by 3. (Costs Spell Points, moderate cooldown)
    Oh yeah?! You fight like a cow!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    Looks like almost no changes were made from council feedback, very weak tree, will be mostly ignored except for flavor/RP players.

Waste of Dev time just like, "protector" tree and Eldritch Knight tree.

Why are you guys afraid to make Bard's relevant? Three really bad Bard trees = 1 really bad class.
    My thoughts exactly

I'm intrigued by the possible alternative to my Warchanter, and I realize that the Enhancement line is called "Swashbuckler" but why are so many of the special skills tied to "Swashbucking" clickie skill? Or is that going to be a toggle?

Quote Originally Posted by rest View Post
    Single weapon fighting feats? Will they apply with a shield in the offhand, or are they being tailored specifically to only work with "swashbuckling"?
    If they WILL work when you have a shield equipped, are you going to change the way that dwarven axes and bastard swords interact with shield users and the THF feats?
    You could hardly be a swashbuckler without a buckler, right? And there better be a free proficiency in scimitars to effectively swash.
    Completionist Lighthardtt Tuisian of Sarlona
    leader, Bridge Burners

"Just another day in pair-o'-dice"

Quote Originally Posted by DANTEIL View Post
    I'm intrigued by the possible alternative to my Warchanter, and I realize that the Enhancement line is called "Swashbuckler" but why are so many of the special skills tied to "Swashbucking" clickie skill? Or is that going to be a toggle?
    It's a toggle (defensive stance)
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

Single-Weapon Fighting feats need not be identical to Swashbuckling in terms of requirements.

We have some ideas on what we might do with them, but we're happiest to have you guys tell us what you think they should be before putting up one particular idea as the point of comparison.

This is an always-on toggle, as long as you meet the requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebergar View Post
    Oh yeah?! You fight like a cow!
    Yes, well you fight like a dairy farmer! (I think I was supposed to say mine first - been a LONG time since I played Monkey Island)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Exploit Weaknesses is actually pretty solid. You have to use a finessable weapon thus the whole run arm does not make a lot of sense. I would have to say with a x3 finessable crit weapon you should be able to crit much more frequently with exploit weaknesses. Getting adrenalines in fury of the wild is going to happen all the time. I have not looked at the numbers on doublstrike, but I would actually say in fury of the wild this is going to be an extremely potent enhancement. Lots of CC with adrenaline etc...
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

One idea but it would likely require code changes.

Make it such that you can equip a throwing weapon in your OFF hand.

This would be similar to how artis can equip a crossbow one handed. You'd need to have a situation when attacking that the attack would need to pick whichever weapon was appropriate based on range.
    I'm a monk. I hit things; it's what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxhunter View Post
    You could hardly be a swashbuckler without a buckler, right? And there better be a free proficiency in scimitars to effectively swash.
    Well, some of the abilities require you to have nothing in your off hand. SwashBUCKLER indeed.

What I meant was that if they create a "single handed fighting" line of feats, could ANYONE take them and get the bonuses they they will (eventually) have? Completely ignoring this PrE (because it's mediocre at best) and not having that "swashbuckling" toggle. As it currently stands, taking the THF on a S&B guy wielding a bastard sword or dwarven axe results in glancing blows. Will that be changing with the addition of these alleged single handed fighting feats? I don't have a shield user, I was just curious if they had taken everything into consideration or if they were just adding more stuff willy-nilly without fully contemplating everything they'll likely impact.

Community Member Thumbed_Servant's Avatar

Thumbs up

You've turned Swashbuckle into a verb!

EXCELLENT
    Thumbed_Servant (to 3 cats ) I LOVE playing a healer (nannybot to the derisive folks)
    Leader: Order of Sunlit Rose on Argonnessen server
    Current active toons: Hildegarde 22 clr/ Pixsie 20 rog/ Muhther25 clr/ Sheolah 2-14 multi(rog/wiz)/ Heidie 2-7multi(rgr/clr)/ Grindhaus 23 ftr/ Slashira 20 ftr/ Commandur 11 clr

Oh and for the record, I really wish you had spent the development time finishing the existing PrEs that are still lacking, LIKE THE RACIAL TREES, rather than putting out a mediocre PrE for a dead-end class.

Just my opinion.

Swashbuckling is listed as a Defensive Stance, so it would be a toggled stance.

Moderatly reformed forum lurker.

"Hi, Lurker"

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast