Default Raiding for Dummies

I have been working on a raid guide for the raids in DDO for about 5 months now. It took awhile due to procrastination and real life (ie. family, friends, and work), but the first iteration is done. Due to the length of the guide, I have decided to setup a remote fileshare download of the PDF version of the Raid Guide. I will most likely in the next couple weeks migrate it to a website hosted by myself and an old college friend with a web-based version for players to view as well as a PDF download. For now though, I am sorry to say, but the guide will only be available through download link below.

~Full Length Guide~
    Raiding for Dummies Version 1.2 - June 14, 2012

~Quick Reference Guide~
    RfD Quick Reference Version 1.0 - June 14, 2012

Now, as some are probably wondering, why did I write this raid guide?

Well, I found it painfully obvoius a lot of players have no real direction or understand of how a number of the raids in DDO function. My main goal is and will be to consolidate all pertinent and useful data about DDO raids and roles in raids to one general location so that if a player has a question to ask about a raid, any raid, a knowledgeable player may just easily say go to this link and read what's there. I know DDO wiki is an easy way to do this already, but DDO wiki is for the game in it's entirety and not just the raids. Also, some guides posted on these DDO forums have not had their information propagated to the wiki site making the amount of information being circulated somewhat lacking. Now, I know what I have now does not contain every last detail of each and every raid (I know specifically the Titan raid section is lacking right now), but it is a good start and I have hyperlinks within the document to most, if not all pertinent information for the raids. Again, as the game progresses and new information is gathered and distributed, I will make updates to this document (and hopefully the webiste) for all players.

Lastly, please feel free to nitpick the document, but only with facts as I am trying to keep this document as objective as possible. Any serious complaints may be brought up with Private Messages to me as to not detract from the focus of this thread.

Anyways I hope everyone enjoys the read and that it benefits the community as a whole.
    Last edited by Grieve; 06-14-2012 at 02:33 PM.
    Characters: Cardan | Rifte | Feylicia | Warmin | Reimi | Catrini | Deadpugs | Crankthis
    "A" of Team BAS, High scorers at PAX East 2011 | High Score at PAX East 2012
    Raiding for Dummies

started reading it, and noticed one error in the healing section: artificer scroll healing is not affected at all by their capstone enhancement, but rather by the artificer scroll/wand enhancement line plus the fact that scroll caster level is increased by 4 eventually.

Another thing that I noticed is that the equipment section certainly lists several useful items, but some of them are quite rare. They are certainly nice to have, like the Planar Gird, but mentioning rare and specific gear might lead new players into believing that they shouldn't join a raid before they have those or similar items.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for players being as self sufficient as can reasonably expected, but listing very rare quest drops and even greensteel items (for which you have to complete a high level raid multiple times before you can craft even one) shouldn't be part of a guide for players who are new to raids imho.

I've read a some of the raid descriptions now. Not only do I like the fact that all relevant links to existing sources of information are in one place, and the additional information on the raids seems to be very solid and helpful as far as I can tell.

Very well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizeh View Post
    started reading it, and noticed one error in the healing section: artificer scroll healing is not affected at all by their capstone enhancement, but rather by the artificer scroll/wand enhancement line plus the fact that scroll caster level is increased by 4 eventually.
    The specific section you are referring to was written about 4 months back and yes I will go back and make changes to it once I've received more comments. I was basing the information I had been hearing from friends at the time as I have yet to roll up an artificer myself and haven't taken an extremely close look at them.

Another thing that I noticed is that the equipment section certainly lists several useful items, but some of them are quite rare. They are certainly nice to have, like the Planar Gird, but mentioning rare and specific gear might lead new players into believing that they shouldn't join a raid before they have those or similar items.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for players being as self sufficient as can reasonably expected, but listing very rare quest drops and even greensteel items (for which you have to complete a high level raid multiple times before you can craft even one) shouldn't be part of a guide for players who are new to raids imho.

I realize some of the gear listed is rare, but in no way is it like trying to grind out a Torc, Litany, or an Epic SoS. Also, for the most part the items listed may be obtained via the auction house. With respect to Greensteel items they are there because single shard GS are not difficult to farm once a player has gotten into the shroud and one needs to also consider, will a newly raiding player really be jumping right from a shroud and into an Epic LoB. I would say that is quite doubtful so really the GS items are appropriate in my opinion since they are useful as a player progresses further into the raids of DDO.

Based on this though, I think I may add a section with a difficulty level ranking for each raid for each difficulty setting from Normal to Epic to help steer players to the proper raids as they progress through the game.

I've read a some of the raid descriptions now. Not only do I like the fact that all relevant links to existing sources of information are in one place, and the additional information on the raids seems to be very solid and helpful as far as I can tell.

Very well done!
    Thank you. I tried to scour the forums as best I could. I am certain though that there are more resources out there that I have yet to find so please let me know if I missed any really important guides.

The last thing I want to say right now is that I am also working on a short hopefully no more than 2 page "cribsheet" for raiding for those that need just a quick reference mid-raid or something like that.
    Last edited by Grieve; 03-28-2012 at 01:27 PM.
    Characters: Cardan | Rifte | Feylicia | Warmin | Reimi | Catrini | Deadpugs | Crankthis
    Raiding for Dummies

looks good
    SARLONA ~ BREY BRAY BRAI BREI BRAYZ DAVEE CEMPER CEMP SEMPER SAVALOT SAVURSELV MOTION
    Proud Officer of Quantum Entropy

Community Member

Them’s a whole buncha words, but I’m reading and learning!

Just a few edits:

I'd include Greater Heroism in the basic buffs section, both for the to-hit bonus (when no Bard is in the group) and for the fear immunity (Fear is used in ToD, VoD, HoX).

I'd might mention Solid Fog (reflex debuffer) and Mind Fog (will debuffer) in the debuffs list.

Rock Boots (challenge item) are an alternative to Spiked Boots. Level 12, tier 2 or 3; and all tiers of the level 16 or 20 boots have slippery surface immunity.

The Abbot water is still described as the old instant-kill version, and will need to be updated.

I would mention that for the CAD's black form, that in addition to Dispel, he uses Energy Drain; so it's very important to keep watch on your Deathward. Might also want to mention suppressing regeneration for lower DPS groups. Might want to mention spell penetration as being as (or more) important than DC's.

Velah summons Reavers, not Efreeti (minor nitpick).

Shroud: s/fined/refined. Phase 2, Tho-Dahh (gnoll) uses Greater Command, so it's good to have Protection from Evil/Magic Circle Against Evil here.

For VoD, might want to mention that in the average group, control of the trash is more important than damaging the boss. Also might want to mention that due to Sully's teleports (and the accompanying reset of aggro), DoT spells can easily retake the aggro.

DQ: Electric is also useful to have on epic, her Chain Lightning can hit for upwards of 200 damage. Also note that Cometfalls are epic only.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarisa View Post
    Just a few edits:

I'd include Greater Heroism in the basic buffs section, both for the to-hit bonus (when no Bard is in the group) and for the fear immunity (Fear is used in ToD, VoD, HoX).
    I will make note of that and update it in the guide.

I'd might mention Solid Fog (reflex debuffer) and Mind Fog (will debuffer) in the debuffs list.
    Another good add

Rock Boots (challenge item) are an alternative to Spiked Boots. Level 12, tier 2 or 3; and all tiers of the level 16 or 20 boots have slippery surface immunity.
    I have not fully explored the Challenge items yet, but I will make sure to add this item. If there are other reasonably good items to add please let me know and I will make note of them

The Abbot water is still described as the old instant-kill version, and will need to be updated.
    Already updated in the next version as I missed that after releasing it since I had not touch my description for the raid since last November

I would mention that for the CAD's black form, that in addition to Dispel, he uses Energy Drain; so it's very important to keep watch on your Deathward. Might also want to mention suppressing regeneration for lower DPS groups. Might want to mention spell penetration as being as (or more) important than DC's.
    Definitely something that would make a good edition so I will add it to the next release as well.

Velah summons Reavers, not Efreeti (minor nitpick).
    Good catch. I should know that one well enough by now with how many times I've completed the raid. >_<

Shroud: s/fined/refined. Phase 2, Tho-Dahh (gnoll) uses Greater Command, so it's good to have Protection from Evil/Magic Circle Against Evil here.
    Will make the addition

For VoD, might want to mention that in the average group, control of the trash is more important than damaging the boss. Also might want to mention that due to Sully's teleports (and the accompanying reset of aggro), DoT spells can easily retake the aggro.
    Another good addition

DQ: Electric is also useful to have on epic, her Chain Lightning can hit for upwards of 200 damage. Also note that Cometfalls are epic only.
    Adding it to next release as well
    Comments in red. Again, thank you for reading through the guide and giving all of the great comments.

This guide is still a work in progress and I have yet to begin the two-page cribsheet, but hopefully will have some time in April to compile the most important info and write it up.
    Last edited by Grieve; 03-28-2012 at 01:28 PM.
    Raiding for Dummies

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grieve View Post
    The last thing I want to say right now is that I am also working on a short hopefully no more than 2 page "cribsheet" for raiding for those that need just a quick reference mid-raid or something like that.

This would be handy for those of us who end up
    having to do goofy things like tank sulu on our FvS
    because we failed to count party slots correctly.

Also, bump.

I was surprised by the level of detail. Nice work!
    Happy Host of DDOcast The Dungeons and Dragons Online Podcast
    Member of the Umber Hulks and The Madborn of Thelanis
    You can see my many builds listed in this thread.

Default Feedback

Still reading through it, but stoneskin wands are not loot only as they can still be purchased from the wand vendor in the 12.

Default Abbot

I haven't run abbot in some time, but when last I did, the ice challenge could be completed by a DI cleric and another character. DI the other character who then swims the area. Once the DI is recharged, the cleric follows to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSpacePony View Post
    Still reading through it, but stoneskin wands are not loot only as they can still be purchased from the wand vendor in the 12.
    Did not realize that thank you. I will make that edit.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSpacePony View Post
    I haven't run abbot in some time, but when last I did, the ice challenge could be completed by a DI cleric and another character. DI the other character who then swims the area. Once the DI is recharged, the cleric follows to the end.
    That is actually no longer valid if you read some of the previous comments. I had not updated that portion of my guide in a few months, but yes it was possible to do that at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by sigtrent View Post
    I was surprised by the level of detail. Nice work!
    Thank you!
    Raiding for Dummies

Slightly updated version of the guide has been posted.
    Raiding for Dummies

Perhaps a "don't do" section could be added. Basically things that should never be done in any of the raids.

Here's the beginning of the list. It could also be the end of the list but some people just don't learn.
    1) Summon anything
    2) Bring out your dog

And +1 at a later date, I've handed out too much lately.

Just an update. I still have not had a chance to migrate the document to a website for mobile viewing, but I have written up the initial version of the Quick Reference Guide and added difficulty ratings to each raid for players to understand the basic progression they should try to take when running raids.

I will most likely be updating the Quick Reference Guide (QRF) again in the next week or two with more pertinent information and tidbits players might want at their finger tips. If people would like to recommend things they think I should add to the QRF, please let me know.
    Raiding for Dummies

Quote Originally Posted by Grieve View Post
    Just an update. I still have not had a chance to migrate the document to a website for mobile viewing, but I have written up the initial version of the Quick Reference Guide and added difficulty ratings to each raid for players to understand the basic progression they should try to take when running raids.

I will most likely be updating the Quick Reference Guide (QRF) again in the next week or two with more pertinent information and tidbits players might want at their finger tips. If people would like to recommend things they think I should add to the QRF, please let me know.
    I just wanted to let you know (if you're still out there) that both guides are a valuable reference for new raiders.

I have them printed and bound and I've written notes in them to help keep my play on track.

Thank you for all the hard work that obviously went into creating it.