Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Druid

There is only >> one << important question to be answered about the DDO version
    of druids.

Can they cast spells in animal form ? If they need a feat or not is not relivant.

Can they cast in animal form ?

Yes ? good, useful member of a party

No ? Slightly gimped healer with a few offensive spell yawn...that can gimp themselves worse
    by turning into a trash mob.

When folks say...they will be over powered conveniently forget that the druid LOSES ALL
    GEAR BONUSES...all of them. when they change.....everything on thier equipment
    character sheet turns off...all of it. That in itself makes changing form questionable
    above low level. Take thier spells as well ?

No spells in animal form --- no point, play an artificer.
    Planescape City of Doors for DDO endgame. Even dying in certain places can create new adventures.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by fatherpirate View Post
    There is only >> one << important question to be answered about the DDO version
    of druids.

Can they cast spells in animal form ? If they need a feat or not is not relivant.
    From the link that Tolero gave in the first post in this thread:

"Each wild shape has its own specialized set of spells to cast!"

You can read more about the Druid by following that link, here it is again:

http://underdark.ddo.com/druid
    Visit the DDO Wiki! Unique items: Quest Rewards - Raid Loot - Chest Loot - Item Sets
    DDO Store List, with references on how you can gain items ingame for free!

Community Member

Nah, the one and only important question of druid is:

Can they turn into DINOSAURS?

If not, then meh.

(...)When folks say...they will be over powered conveniently forget that the druid LOSES ALL
    GEAR BONUSES...all of them. when they change.....everything on thier equipment
    character sheet turns off...all of it. (...)
    I think you are making a pretty big assumption there. We have no idea how Turbine will implement Druid, let alone Wildshape. Natural Spell may be a selectable feat, it may be an inherent part of Wildshaping, or it may not exist at all. Druids may wildshape with no gear, they may keep everything but armor and weapons, or they might keep everything.

Personally, I would be shocked if Turbine didn't a) Allow Druids access to their full druid spell list in wildshape form (mostly because Druids are a full spellcasting class, and Turbine is well aware how popular Tensers Transformation and Bladesworn Transformation are with Arcanes and FvS), and b) Allow druids to keep the bonuses from *all* equipped items (Because, lets face it, DDO is a HUGELY gear centric game. if you think losing access to spells is a big deal, how about losing access to Con items, heavy fort, *all* spell boosting items, all bonus SP and HP items, as well as various raid loot and epic items people work so hard to aquire. I'm certain Turbine wants druids to farm out gear just as much as every otehr class - it gives them goals and objectives that keeps them playing)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMonk2 View Post
    From the link that Tolero gave in the first post in this thread:

"Each wild shape has its own specialized set of spells to cast!"

You can read more about the Druid by following that link, here it is again:

Unfortunately, the "hidden meaning" behind that quote is still unclear. All it tells us is Wildshaped Druids will have access to form-specific abilities... what it *doesn't* tell us is whether or not those are the *only* abilities.spell a Wildshaped Druid would have. Personally, i doubt it. Wildshape forms would have to be ridiculously powerful to compensate for Druids giving up their core casting ability for *any* length of time. And even still, caster-focused druids would probably never wildshape ever, while melee hybrids would pretend like Druids don;t have a spell list. Either way, it makes some of the core Druid abilities useless, which is just bad game design.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brennie View Post
    Unfortunately, the "hidden meaning" behind that quote is still unclear.
    The person I was answering asked if Druid's can cast spells in animal form, in that case the answer was yes as I said.
    Visit the DDO Wiki! Unique items: Quest Rewards - Raid Loot - Chest Loot - Item Sets

It'll probably be like the Archmage's spell-like ability list. For example, being in a particular form will unlock a number of SLAs depending on your Druid level.

Spell like abilities or spells

Basically they are saying...if your a wolf, you can trip
    if your a bear, you can knock down
    if your a fire elemental, you can spit fire.

Nothing new here..the regular mobs of that type do that as well.

OK, lets say druids can't cast in animal form...bad idea but it is a what if.

Then players would make 2 distinctly different builds

The caster...who would never change into an animal and any animal form
    enhancements would be skipped over

The animal...They would use wisdom as a minor stat and pump physical
    atributes and combat abilities.

What is wrong with that ?
    Neither is a druid

One is a cleric that trades turning and some top healing for offensive spells
    The other is a fighter .. basically

But turbine will do what they do.
    Planescape City of Doors for DDO endgame. Even dying in certain places can create new adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by budalic View Post
    Nah, the one and only important question of druid is:

Can they turn into DINOSAURS?

If not, then meh.
    Dinobots! Transform and Destroy!
    Anyone who disagrees is a Terrorist...

Cthulhu 2016 Never settle for the lesser evil...

Spell like abilities or spells

Basically they are saying...if your a wolf, you can trip
    if your a bear, you can knock down
    if your a fire elemental, you can spit fire.

since when was trip and knockdown spells or spell like abilities? Sure there are spells that can knock you down like greater command, gust of wind but thats not what you meant is it?

Well, they said each form would have it's own spell like abilities.

what would they give a wolf ? lazer beams ?
    flame strike ? earth quake ?

They get a trip ability..or similar

Community Member

But turbine will do what they do.
    Personally I don't think there is any point to speculating how Turbine is going to be implementing the Druid Class. Also it seems people are criticizing Turbine already for a class that hasn't even been released yet.

Quote Originally Posted by azrael4h View Post
    Dinobots! Transform and Destroy!
    Only for WF Druids.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

Personally I don't think there is any point to speculating how Turbine is going to be implementing the Druid Class. Also it seems people are criticizing Turbine already for a class that hasn't even been released yet.
    This is partially Turbine's fault.

They know we're going to speculate on stuff in the absence of real information.

It seems obvious that some of the most frequently asked questions could have been anticipated (Do Druids get Scimitar proficiency? Why does changing into a Water Elemental allow you to rain Lightning down from the sky? Will Natural Spell be available as a feat?) and answered. They could have even prepared an FAQ ahead of time to answer these and other questions.

But that is not what Turbine does. So I say, let Turbine lie in the bed of their own making and allow us to speculate on and criticize a class that's not even out yet.
    Last edited by Arkat; 03-25-2012 at 05:32 PM.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    This is partially Turbine's fault.

They know we're going to speculate on stuff in the absence of real information.
    It doesn't matter how much information they release, people will still be asking even more questions and demanding that it should have been in the FAQ.

Turbine cannot possibly think of every question that every customer is likely to ask.

We have real information released by Turbine at this page:

I dislike telling my clients about the new features I am developing and adding into my software. All I end up getting is endless questions on it and also heaps and heaps of 'suggestions' for it.

I disagree with it being partially Turbine's fault, I put the blame squarely on the impatience of people.

You're joking, right?

I disagree with it being partially Turbine's fault, I put the blame squarely on the impatience of people.
    No
    Last edited by Arkat; 03-25-2012 at 05:35 PM.

The person I was answering asked if Druid's can cast spells in animal form, in that case the answer was yes as I said.
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    since when was trip and knockdown spells or spell like abilities? Sure there are spells that can knock you down like greater command, gust of wind but thats not what you meant is it?
    I think we're being too literal and precise with the language used in the Druid teaser. Turbine has been known in the past to use language which has ultimately confused the playerbase or led them to false conclusions (Famously, when introducing cannith crafting, taking Paralyzing from one weapon and adding it to another was used as an example. That is obviously impossible for several different reasons, not least of which is Paralyzing isn't even possible via Cannith Crafting). The reason for this is the Press people are different from the Dev people.

In this instance, I would think the writer of the article was using "Spells" as a lose term for "abilities inherent to the wildshaped form in question". Water Elementals, Fire Elementals, and even Winterwolves are likely to have abilities that act like "Spells", but Wolves and Bears will more likely have wolf and bear-like abilities. However, since this is still speculation, i could be entirely wrong. I'm just saying, don't get too caught up on the particular verbiage of the Druid Teaser.

(...)I disagree with it being partially Turbine's fault, I put the blame squarely on the impatience of people.

So what you're saying
    is that if a druid Wildshapes into an animal form, it will no longer be impatient? Let the speculation begin!

It doesn't matter how much information they release, people will still be asking even more questions and demanding that it should have been in the FAQ.

Turbine cannot possibly think of every question that every customer is likely to ask.

I dislike telling my clients about the new features I am developing and adding into my software. All I end up getting is endless questions on it and also heaps and heaps of 'suggestions' for it.

I would agree....except for one thing.
    They want money up front for the expansion.

If you ask for money, need to need give answers to questions now...not later.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

I would agree....except for one thing.
    They want money up front for the expansion.

If you ask for money, need to need give answers to questions now...not later.
    Except you don't have to give them money up front. If you don't trust them then wait until the expansion is released and you know exactly what you're getting then pay if your happy with it.

Community Member

You're joking, right?
    The information is factual information released by Turbine and therefore quite real. Or do you mean that the information is lacking? That still doesn't get past that the initial information is still real.

:-)

Only for WF Druids.
    For what it's worth, I also intend to do a bad John Wayne impersonation. "Transform, and roll out!"
    Anyone who disagrees is a Terrorist...

Cthulhu 2016 Never settle for the lesser evil...

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast