Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Please Devs?

Community Member

There seems to be some confusion here among the masses that the pets themselves are actually obstructing view. This is not completely accurate. The effect limiting perception is actually their bulky names. If you're not understanding how this can be a burden for others, why don't you just pipe down and move along? If a developer evens submits that he could understand the frustration of healers, with these things inside a dungeon, perhaps there is more here than meets the eye?

I'm not sure.. Maybe I shouldn't bother arguing against the forum community to get a change that apparently only affects .01% of the DDO Population..

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpinator View Post
    There seems to be some confusion here among the masses that the pets themselves are actually obstructing view. This is not completely accurate. The effect limiting perception is actually their bulky names. If you're not understanding how this can be a burden for others, why don't you just pipe down and move along? If a developer evens submits that he could understand the frustration of healers, with these things inside a dungeon, perhaps there is more here than meets the eye?

I'm not sure.. Maybe I shouldn't bother arguing against the forum community to get a change that apparently only affects .01% of the DDO Population..
    Disagreement =/= lack of understanding. I can see why it would be an issue, but not this huge game breaker people have made it out to be in the past few weeks.

I also think its hilarious that there are people here who plow into other threads and talk about how they dont want dev time spent on (insert topic here) because they dont think it affects enough people to worry about, and instead that dev time should be spent elsewhere fixing issues that matter. Then we carry on about something like cosmetic pets like its ruining our playing experience.

Smells like a wafflehouse in here.
    Last edited by Chai; 03-19-2012 at 05:25 PM.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

I run a few divines and the "bulky names" don't have any effect. If its not on a F-key, it doesn't matter.

Seriously, I can't even begin to imagine, what kind of effect they are supposed to have on running divines efficiently. I mean, you can't even target them like *at all*

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Disagreement =/= lack of understanding. I can see why it would be an issue, but not this huge game breaker people have made it out to be in the past few weeks.

I also think its hilarious that there are people here who plow into other threads and talk about how they dont want dev time spent on (insert topic here) because they dont think it affects enough people to worry about, and instead that dev time should be spent elsewhere fixing issues that matter. Then we carry on about something like cosmetic pets like its ruining our playing experience.

I also think its hilarious when someone posts an obvious trolling post complaining/laughing at trolling posts.

Also, signed. I would rather not see cosmetic pets. They are not neutral to me, they are on the slight side of annoying, coupled with fact that maybe even a fraction of computing power is being used to render them makes it firmly in the I dont want them included in my DDO experience zone. I did buy the preorder pack, so its not just a jealous player that cant have that doesn't want to see the haves.
    Reckter: 28 heroic, 3 iconic and 19 eic PLs, now a 17 art/3rog shadar-kai. Anhilliation: 3x wiz/sorc PLs, 13 epic PLs now a dwarf 17barb/3bard. . Vikzor: 2xfvs + 4x epic PL horc 19fvs 1 fighter. Rekter: 3x rog & 1 fighter + 4 epic PLs, h-orc 13 rogue 6 monk 1 druid. Veisha: 3x bard + 4 epic PLs, PDK 16 bard 4 fighter.

Hero

Choices are good, like turning off the annoying falsetto GM voices.
    U19 Kensei: Centered Cleaver | TR Junkie Leveling Framework

~Ying~ (10 lives), ~Hamada~(9 lives), ~Vadanken~ (6 lives), ~Kobeyashi~ (10 lives)
    Over Raided of Orien, First Level 100 Guild

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    They have WaHo in WI? Sweet. The Bert's Chili smell?
    "The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves." Niccolò Machiavelli
    Thelanis: Arbix Completionist (23rd Life), ArbySoul, ArbyBarb, ArbyPriest, Arbificer etc.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carpone View Post

I dunno, that chick with the adam’s apple and mustache in gianthold is a classy lady…

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyt View Post
    I also think its hilarious when someone posts an obvious trolling post complaining/laughing at trolling posts.

Also, signed. I would rather not see cosmetic pets. They are not neutral to me, they are on the slight side of annoying, coupled with fact that maybe even a fraction of computing power is being used to render them makes it firmly in the I dont want them included in my DDO experience zone. I did buy the preorder pack, so its not just a jealous player that cant have that doesn't want to see the haves.
    Thank you very much, for literally proving my point, on all counts.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by DanteEnFuego View Post
    They have WaHo in WI? Sweet. The Bert's Chili smell?
    Its even better for breakfast if you are still up from last night, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobril View Post
    I dunno, that chick with the adam’s apple and mustache in gianthold is a classy lady…
    And we all fell for it, lock, stock, and two smoking umm...barrels.

Please give us the option to disable the cosmetic pets. I find them to be more detrimental to a party than beneficial, especially when healing a large group of individuals where half of them have a Drizzt Kitty blocking my view and creating mass clutter. I understand that asking players to simply not summon their purely cosmetic pet is not a daunting task, but it really isn't asking too much to give me the ability to enable and disable at will.

Thank you for your time and I eagerly await your response.
    For me the issue is the sound they make, in particular the spiders. I find their skittering as annoying as a work day is long. In quests, especially unfamiliar ones, I'll often rely on audio cues to warn me of danger. I can't imagine how irritating it would be to have a pack of spiders skittering all over the place while trying to keep my ears peeled for audio danger cues.
    /signed

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehairguy View Post
    /signed

Liked this idea before they came out, still do. Pets are ridiculous. But I'd also want it for the arty dogs too. Outside of a quest or explorer area, they're purely cosmetic (to me, calm down fan boys).
    Someone pointed out to me once that arty pets can be ship buffed which is why some people have them out in public. Personally I only summon mine when needed and dismiss it in public areas.

bitkaCK2
    "That's right, remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over..." ~ Heavenly Bank Account by Frank Zappa
    "Your 'Gin n' tonic Futon Brain' cyborg implants sure make you smart!" ~ Seraphita, Element of Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Shallowain View Post
    I run a few divines and the "bulky names" don't have any effect. If its not on a F-key, it doesn't matter.

Seriously, I can't even begin to imagine, what kind of effect they are supposed to have on running divines efficiently. I mean, you can't even target them like *at all*
    I don't care much about the pets but hadn't had an issue with them. And I agree that since I use the magic F* keys its all much smoother on my casters. If the crow stand close to each other (e.g. entrance) its sometimes anyway not possible to select the party members one by one other by using the keys.

Heck you even can select the artificer pets via those. Additionally players tend to move so if I would try to select them with the mouse it would be even more tricky in times when you hvae to move yourself as well.

Sure the names may clutter the picture a little bit but I rarely have to read something while beating on a boss anyway. So who cares if it is a long crazy guild name, an artificer dog or the name of a pet that floats around.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpone View Post
    Sure more options are usually a good thing. While we are at it, can we have one to make a Hezrou semi transparent, so that I actually see something even if they sit directly in my face?
    * We have collectable bags, hell even hireling folders, but can I have that 6-pack for my potions please?
    * Having already a past life on the dieng EU servers, I rerolled here and started from scratch as I like the game and the community, so lets see what awaits me here

Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default Confused

Don't confuse old age with common sense. The OP stated that the pets were obstructing his/her ability to target and heal people. Here again is where the confusions sets in..... maybe you havn't tried it, but try to select a cosmetic pet... it's impossible...therefore I don't see how this is a problem...

Gimpinator
    Community Member Join Date: Sep 2009
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    A good healer uses both simultaneously. Focus old timers.. Stay on topic!
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

Community Member

Alright I have gathered a few suggestions to make these cosmetics pets less of a distraction and hindrance. I'll update the original post also.

• Change the color of the pet's name so it doesn't contrast with the innately dark game. (Suggested by a friend)
    • Force companions to only render for the owner once inside a raid. (Suggested by a friend)
    • Allow us to turn off companion names. (Suggested by a friend)
    • Give us the option to change the contrast manually to our liking. (Suggested by a friend)
    • Disable pets inside dungeons entirely.
    • Dismiss pets upon taking damage once inside a dungeon. (Mr. Maj)
    • Add a check box in the options panel to enable and disable pets inside dungeons. (What I'd prefer)

On that note, let me add that I have nothing against the cosmetic pets outside their names. They are overly fluffy and agreeably cute.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Battlehawke View Post
    Don't confuse old age with common sense. The OP stated that the pets were obstructing his/her ability to target and heal people. Here again is where the confusions sets in..... maybe you havn't tried it, but try to select a cosmetic pet... it's impossible...therefore I don't see how this is a problem...

Once you learn to heal, they will hinder you also. Just wait, [ancient chinese proverb]old padawan with young spirit[/ancient chinese proverb].

This is just the start.. Wait until they are in the DDO Store! Soon we'll have 11 or 12 in every raid! You WILL understand at this point. However, I'm sure we'll see more negative reputation until that point comes.
    Last edited by Gimpinator; 03-19-2012 at 07:03 PM.

Once you learn to heal, they will hinder you also. Just wait, [ancient chinese proverb]old padawan with young spirit[/ancient chinese proverb].
    Now I am sure you are a troll.

Community Member

Once you learn to heal, they will hinder you also.
    No, they won't hinder you one bit. Even when I heal raids I use V to turn all names off and use the function keys.

I don't see a problem with having a checkbox in the UI to make them not display on a person's local side, but I don't have any issue with them whatsover.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Community Member

Alright I have gathered a few suggestions to make these cosmetics pets less of a distraction and hindrance. I'll update the original post also.

• Change the color of the pet's name so it doesn't contrast with the innately dark game. (Suggested by a friend)
    • Force companions to only render for the owner once inside a raid. (Suggested by a friend)
    • Allow us to turn off companion names. (Suggested by a friend)
    • Give us the option to change the contrast manually to our liking. (Suggested by a friend)
    • Disable pets inside dungeons entirely.
    • Dismiss pets upon taking damage once inside a dungeon. (Mr. Maj)
    • Add a check box in the options panel to enable and disable pets inside dungeons. (What I'd prefer)

On that note, let me add that I have nothing against the cosmetic pets outside their names. They are overly fluffy and agreeably cute.
    You w****, stick with your OP.

DDO is full of options that the PLAYERS have complete control over...cosmetic pets should be one also.

I don't want your pets on my screen with their humongo names.
    I don't want your pets taking up my CPU/GPU cycles, the ddoclient is enough of hog as is.

What purpose do they server in quests/raids ? None, Public areas are fine.

If I have an option to turn off pets on my screen,
    How does that affect others gaming experience ?

IT DOESN'T.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234