Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Is this error caused by opening 2 launchers simultaneously?

You could add a pauze between starting launcher 1 and 2. After all, you only need to start the actual DDO instances close together, not the launchers.

It appears (not always but around 75% of the time) when i start 2 launchers, ie:
    "f:\ddo\turbineinvoker.exe"
    "f:\fakeDDO\turbineinvoker.exe"

Exactly the same thing happens when I start 2 launchers in seperate folders... I thought the same thing happened for everyone dualboxing?

Edit: I can make the batch file wait for a key to be pressed, how to make it hesitate for half a second or something like that?

Community Member

Googled this for you:

Pause execution for a number of seconds
    There are different ways to do this from within a batch file, all with their tradeoffs. I use a ping to an invalid IP address with a timeout. The best way to do this is to find an invalid IP address and then pint it, but 1.1.1.1 is a pretty safe bet:

PING 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 15000 > NUL
    Just change the 15000 to 500 or so (it's in milliseconds)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeathsApprentice View Post
    <back from the laboratory>

I'll experiment some more later today (really need to work for school), but here is the .bat file I use:

imdisk -a -s 5G -m F: -p "/fs:ntfs /q /y"
    xcopy "C:\games\ddo\*" f:\ddo\ /E /EXCLUDE:C:\Users\me\Documents\dualboxExclude.txt
    mklink f:\DDO\client_sound.dat c:\games\ddo\client_sound.dat
    mklink /D f:\fakeDDO\ "f:\DDO\"
    "f:\ddo\turbineinvoker.exe"
    "f:\fakeDDO\turbineinvoker.exe"
    I just got 8g more ram bringing my (Win7 x64) system to 12g today and am looking forward to implementing your suggestions. The main questions I have are these:
    When I xcopy my DDO directory to the ramdrive and then launch it from there, won't any patching only occur on the ramdrive itself?

How do you go about keeping your original hard drive copy of the DDO directory up to date?

Also, I don't see any mechanism to allow the first launcher time to do any patching, won't both launchers try to patch the same files then?
    Last edited by falcon8; 11-02-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Community Member

I keep a shortcut to my original DDO installation on my desktop.
    When there's a patch, I run that one. The game updates (once) and all subsequent copies to the ramdrive are the patched version.

Community Member

Deaths,

Thank you for your response and tips. I did try it out briefly last night and setup a 7g ramdrive (leaving 5g available) and copied all but the sound file onto it. I generally run Hi-Res tho I am considering downgrading it since I have run in low res on my laptop when out of town and there doesn't seem to be a big difference overall. Yes the details are less detailed, but it's not like the game is lifelike at any level. Anyway, after running two instances for about an hour, I started to notice a fair amount of slowdown in responsiveness of both instances. I have not turned off my Paging file, but am wondering if I should? Or, do you think that dropping to low res on each would be sufficient?

If I do not copy the High Res file to the ramdrive, will that mean DDO will run at Low Res or is there some setting within Options that I need to change to disable High Res?

I am running a quad core 3ghz AMD processor with 12g of ram, Win 7 x64, nVidia 8600 GTS video (320m).

Thanks again for any tips and assistance

Community Member

My guess is that if you don't copy the high res file, the game will run in low resolution.

Try something else first: instead of running 2 full screen copies, run 2 windowed clients.
    I notice quite a bit of lag when I switch from full screen client to another full screen client, but almost nothing when going from windowed to windowed.

@ paging file: this probably won't make a difference, you have enough RAM
    @ system: I'm no hardware expert, but that seems more than enough to run DDO, even multiple times.

Community Member

Will the ramdisk method provide any tangible benefits over running two instances on a ssd using the fake-dir method?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Klixen View Post
    Will the ramdisk method provide any tangible benefits over running two instances on a ssd using the fake-dir method?
    While the answer to that question depends on a lot of variables, the answer is most likely no.

Community Member

While the answer to that question depends on a lot of variables, the answer is most likely no.
    Thank you for the quick response on a Sunday

Following up - does turbineinvoker.exe take any arguments? (like account name)

Community Member

My guess is that if you don't copy the high res file, the game will run in low resolution.

Try something else first: instead of running 2 full screen copies, run 2 windowed clients.
    I notice quite a bit of lag when I switch from full screen client to another full screen client, but almost nothing when going from windowed to windowed.

@ paging file: this probably won't make a difference, you have enough RAM
    @ system: I'm no hardware expert, but that seems more than enough to run DDO, even multiple times.
    I am actually running windowed instances, noticed that suggestion early on in the thread (or maybe some other one). I have the windows set to nearly take up all of my screen area each, but they are in windowed mode. Since my last post I have reduced some of the Advanced Graphics settings, particularly the advanced lighting and shadows and it seems to have pretty well eliminated the problem. Thanks for the responses

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Klixen View Post
    Thank you for the quick response on a Sunday

Following up - does turbineinvoker.exe take any arguments? (like account name)
    I don't believe the regular launcher does this, but I have read about a linux-based launcher that does. It's called pyLotro or something. Could be worth looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by Faent View Post
    This looks very interesting, and it exactly what I need. Is there any way you can turn this into more of a guide? As in one that provides guidance to people who aren't themselves programmers?
    After following the guide of the OP myself recently I found a couple of issues, so I'm going to expand on the OP's guide to hopefully make it clearer. (No offence intended to the OP of course)

Step 1 - Make a symbolic directory pointing to your DDO installation directory.
    Notes: You want to be doing this under the command prompt, even with my account set as an administrator account, when running cmd.exe it gave me an error if I didn't explicitly run it as an administrator.

Example: For Windows 7 pro 64 bit
    a) Click Start
    b) In the search box type: cmd
    c) Wait for the list above to be populated and right click on cmd.exe
    d) Choose 'Run as administrator'
    e) In the Command Prompt type: mklink /D "C:\Fake Directory" "C:\real\DDO\Directory"
    Notes: "" around the paths allow for spaces in the directory names.
    Personally I went with: mklink /D "E:\Games\DDO Link" "E:\Games\DDO Eberron Unlimited"
    If you type mklink in the command prompt it should explain the parameters and usage.
    Step 2 - Create a shortcut pointing to TurbineLauncher.exe in the "new" directory.
    Notes: Disagreeing with the OP here based on some recent-ish service news thread, though links to the thread are gone, the TurbineLauncher.exe seems much more reliable for me than TurbineInvoker.exe and may solve a few of the issues some previous posters have mentioned.
    Step 3 - Start up DDO using both the original shortcut and the new shortcut.
    Notes: You want to make sure both launchers are running before you log in to either one, I would recommend dragging them apart so you can see them side by side.
    Step 4 - Log in the first account, alt-tab, and log in the second account.

P.S. If there's anything unclear feel free to throw me a PM.

Hey guys, I'm necro-ing this thread because I have some info with regards to ram disk. I did some speed tests from ramdisk vs. ssd measuring the time it takes from hitting the login button to the time I can move my character. Here are the results:

Ramdisk:
    45 s
    40 s
    40 s

SSD:
    41 s
    39 s
    38 s

So in actuality, there's no difference between startup times between the SSD and ram disk. I'm guessing this is due to MSoft's prefetcher working it's magic. So I've decided to stick with the SSD for now.

I don't believe the regular launcher does this, but I have read about a linux-based launcher that does. It's called pyLotro or something. Could be worth looking into.
    I use Pylotro now (ignore the name, works for lotro also) it is an alternative launcher to the one that ddo uses. Much easier than setting up batch files or separate installs. It allows you to launch as many instances of DDO from the same install as you want. It also doesn't need to be started at the same time, you can start one up regardless to whether you have DDO running at the time.

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Community Member whereispowderedsilve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordax View Post
    I use Pylotro now (ignore the name, works for lotro also) it is an alternative launcher to the one that ddo uses. Much easier than setting up batch files or separate installs. It allows you to launch as many instances of DDO from the same install as you want. It also doesn't need to be started at the same time, you can start one up regardless to whether you have DDO running at the time.
    Pylotro doesn't like my login/pw info for DDO? Help? Please? ><! Thanks! Cheers!
    http://dillonpfaff5.wix.com/theob Sign this!!!: http://goo.gl/vS6htg

DDO toll free support phone#: 855-WBGAMES (855-924-2637)

Quote Originally Posted by whereispowderedsilve View Post
    Pylotro doesn't like my login/pw info for DDO? Help? Please? ><! Thanks! Cheers!
    Did you go to the tools->switch games option and make sure that DDO was selected? You also need to point at the DDO directoty in the tools->options menu.

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Default Like this?

Did you go to the tools->switch games option and make sure that DDO was selected? You also need to point at the DDO directoty in the tools->options menu.

Also I am copying/pasting my account details from my text document.

Obv they are correct cos I can log in & play just fine with DDO's launcher.

So no idea why it's telling me incorrect account details.. Any info/support/help I am ALL ears!

Would be greatly appreciated! :P! ! Cheers!

Windows 7 64 bit. DDO is installed on my C drive which is my primary O/S.

Let me know if need any other details/info!

Not sure whats going on here. I just checked my settings and its set to LOTRO and it works, when I switched to DDO it failed, different then your failure but it still failed.

Not sure whats going on here. I just checked my settings and its set to LOTRO and it works, when I switched to DDO it failed, different then your failure but it still failed.
    I'm dense, sorry I'm not following you. You mean it is only working for LOTRO at the moment? I think? ><

No worries, hopefully someone will figure it out. I wouldn't mind being able to concurrently log onto LAMA & Live at the same time

Good luck! Cheers! :P! !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast