Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qoolboxer View Post
    After misery's peak, returning to korthos to find the snow has disappeared - priceless.
    I agree !

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Melange View Post
    [*]Is there anything that it’s doing particularly well that you want to see more of?[/LIST]
    You know how you this could be used?

In Threnal, when you talk to the NPC a big WARNING appears and the DM tells you: "if you proceed with this dialog you could reset your chain quest progress, BE CAREFUL"

And it would be profit players/developers sides.

No need to thank me for the idea

Thanks everybody for reading.
    Last edited by Phemt81; 03-22-2012 at 06:49 PM.
    How to revamp past life reward system <--- working again
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.
    Developers should fix this

Community Member

Ok after reading this whole thread...

DMs past and present

Ok so I honestly like them both, and unlike everyother poster (though not necesarily gamer) I actually like the fact that I can hear both DMs in Korthos.

Previous DM had a class thats hard to match. His flair gave every quest a feeling of intrigue and awe that made me go WOOOOWWWW when I started and stand still until he finished talking.

New DM has a vitality that brings life to every char she does voices to, and gives a sence of struggle and urgency.

Hence if we were exploring an ancient library with rows upon rows of books looking for an ancient tome Id certainly favor the previous DM, yet if I were resisting an invation from say Droamm armies I certainly prefer the more dynamic DM. Both are incredible, and can bring so much to each quest.

Uhm removing the founding fathers of D&D ?? Yeah right!... :P

Still if anything you could make a new voice over and an option to use that or use the "vintage" narrator... That could be good, I certainly can see some guidance added outside the quests, and perhaps some expansion within (though many would complain about having more than one DM)

Quest objectives

I love RPGs, so though I understand most zergers to look for an off button my only complain was that in Heytons rest I couldnt both listen to the complete DM narration and finish all the optionals (more out of pride than XP but if its there I want to do it), which is no real complain after all.

Ill add to chorus of people who would like to see this outside of Korthos.

Voice overs

The biggest difference between Celimas and Drexelhand is not their aligment or flair. I dont really like her that much but fact is her voice makes her unique. Not saying Jacoby deserves one, but I honestly laughed silly at the mining challenges. Voice brings life to chars, though too many would simply dilute them... Still Id like to hear the archbishop at the catacombs and find him even more unfriendly...

BTW Is it just me, or did Talbron have his voice made less robotic (io two changes)?

Quest order

I agree on the quest order change:

1) Bar - binder

2) Storehouse (next to the bar after binding, few fights, simple)

3) Heytons rest (more fights, but not too many, you get a lot of pots and even some gear)

4) Protect the crystal (why? its easier to kill people than to avoid people from being killed; this to me is a much more advanced type of quest; everyone gets their say)

Perhaps the crystal is easier on normal, but it isnt on hard/elite; if people tend to group, theyll also tend to go in, you can tell them not to, but ego>reason...

Omissions

First off, add a party creation tutorial. No party no grotto (just before you enter, Im sure the friendly warforged could cover it). This should help newcomers to not solo their way until lvl 5 which is unfortunately very common.

I know the enhancements UI is under development, and Im sure the interface will be much much better. Still many newbies level but dont use their AP. So perhaps in the future this tutorial could point them to the right trainer when they get their first action point (considering normal difficulty and following progression if not monitoring your actual XP)

Guilds, banks, mail, etc... Well all in due time (and in Stormreach)

Final comments

Liked it, a lot. Some would love to be able to Skip/Unskip, personally I love RPGs and often played from beggining to end even once I had beaten them and knew all the dialog (Faxanadu in a day ).

Hope this slowly makes its way into the rest of the content; this by itself is enough a reason to retry Korthos.

"getting rid of the snowy/sunny side"
    Why? This is one of the most amazing things in DDO! After misery's peak, returning to korthos to find the snow has disappeared - priceless.

"Taking out all of the locked chests in the quests"
    again, why? this makes rogues shine and appreciated. these are low level loot anyway, for veterans, it is better for you to just skip them. for newcomers, once again these are priceless.

"Adding a 10% striding buff in town"
    not that i like it, but the slowness helps to make the place feels larger... it wows newcomers. speed the toons up and suddenly korthos becomes smaller. eventually familiarity and impatience sets in, that is why we have striding items.

remember that korthos is supposed to be the starter area. no doubt you will be sick of this place by now but you have to think of the newcomers - the little things that attracted you the first time round, after redoing countless times, you tend to take them for granted.
    1. The problem with Snowy/Sunny is the mechanics that separate new players from everyone else. You can't cross group, you can't show them anything. They are stuck finding their way with people just as new as they are. This isn't that big of a deal if there are constantly 40 people on snowy side to help you, but that isn't the case. Most of the time, these people have to get through it on their own by soloing everything. Regardless of the buffs given to Korthos gear, remember that some classes are extremely weak at level 1 (Rogues/Wizards/Sorcs/Bards). The snowy side discriminates against these non-soloable classes and causes frustration that leads to quitting.

2. The problem with the locked chests is that it encourages players to take a level of rogue just to open chests. Korthos has almost as many locked chests in it as the rest of the game does. New players are rather annoyed when they get to the harbor and find out that their 1 wizard/1 rogue/1 cleric sucks and they need to reroll. Korthos needs to reflect the realities of the rest of the game, not have weird mechanics that don't exist anywhere else.

3. It may make the place seem bigger, but 0% striding is the absolute worst thing in the world about running around in the city. As a matter of a fact, it is the #1 reason I don't roll new characters. Korthos is a storefront, its supposed to attract and hook new players. Even if you bend the rules a little, you need to make sure that people keep playing until level 9. After that you'll have them hooked.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by jkm View Post
    1. The problem with Snowy/Sunny is the mechanics that separate new players from everyone else. You can't cross group, you can't show them anything. They are stuck finding their way with people just as new as they are. This isn't that big of a deal if there are constantly 40 people on snowy side to help you, but that isn't the case. Most of the time, these people have to get through it on their own by soloing everything. Regardless of the buffs given to Korthos gear, remember that some classes are extremely weak at level 1 (Rogues/Wizards/Sorcs/Bards). The snowy side discriminates against these non-soloable classes and causes frustration that leads to quitting.

2. The problem with the locked chests is that it encourages players to take a level of rogue just to open chests. Korthos has almost as many locked chests in it as the rest of the game does. New players are rather annoyed when they get to the harbor and find out that their 1 wizard/1 rogue/1 cleric sucks and they need to reroll. Korthos needs to reflect the realities of the rest of the game, not have weird mechanics that don't exist anywhere else.

3. It may make the place seem bigger, but 0% striding is the absolute worst thing in the world about running around in the city. As a matter of a fact, it is the #1 reason I don't roll new characters. Korthos is a storefront, its supposed to attract and hook new players. Even if you bend the rules a little, you need to make sure that people keep playing until level 9. After that you'll have them hooked.
    1. Separating new and veteran players is PRECISELY why we have sunny/snowy sides - it protects the new players. Veteran players who want to play mentor can roll a new level 1 toon and stay on the snowy side. Newbie players can also consciously make the choice to skip the Korthos storyline and get on the sunny side. The choice is there. Not having this sunny/snowy side can really spoil the game for newcomers, with veterans spoiling newbies showing them everything, just zerging through, or insisting that everyone do silly "leet" bravery bonus streaks. Those classes you claim are non-soloable - well, great way to make them use hirelings. Korthos is a great place to learn how to play your class - first solo on normal/casual, or group in hard/elite.

2. Rerolling is one of the realities of the game - again, great place to let them know. And a level of rogue is not gimp, just like not all TRs are guaranteed non-gimp.

3. Once 10% striding is the norm, it will feel slow. Speed is relative.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

1. Separating new and veteran players is PRECISELY why we have sunny/snowy sides - it protects the new players.
    This is my opinion as well. It also hinders griefing.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456