Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: *know it*

Default *know it*

I love* seeing that when looking for parties.
    *(sarcasm)

Often times i have never heard of these quests and would like to learn them but with attitudes like that i usually ignore the group and just move along.

I understand some people get frustrated by having to become teachers and having id10t's wandering off and getting them killed just to ruin the mission. Trust me I understand. I have 34 toons and close to half are faith based of one kind or another (grunt or babysitter) just so i can easily join just about any group.
    Not a single one is above 17 level however as i enjoy playing all sorts of stuff and then going back and forth as i whim.

Now my plea/gripe.

Its not always about the grind, you are supposed to have fun once in a while too. Please be kind to the other kind* (non grinders)

Thank you
    If you're not Intelligent enough to play a wiz, make a sorc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gossamerblade
    Like it or not, some jerks justify their existence by spoiling others' good times.

i love teaching ppl quests but there is always a time and place for it i have found there have also been many times where i want to get through a quest as quickly as possible. so dont get upset about a group posting it its no offence to you they just want ppl who wont PULL that lever that shouldnt be pulled or stand in the wrong place and end up dead
    or whatever the case may be. its simple you see it posted join another group that will teach it to you. there are plenty of ppl out there that will teach quests to other like i said i do it many of times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    The chance of tomes dropping is actually getting a significant increase.In Update 16, those odds are increased to 1 in 333.The new Upgrade tomes will be a sizable percentage of all ability tome drops- for example, when a +4 tome would drop, it will instead have a 25% chance of being a +4 to +5 upgrade tome. (quote edited for size)

Community Member

Wait, what?

I thought when somebody wrote that, the meant "need guide". It certainly means "can't solo, even with hireling".

Yeap exactly. "Know it" can mean vet who doesnt want to babysit, or it could also mean "I demand someone know this quest because I sure as heck dont".

Just like building for HP nowdays disguises bad builds and even worse players, "know it" is used alot as a front in order to persuade others that the group isnt full of noobs.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member EustaceTrevelyan's Avatar

Yeah, it's annoying, esp if there's only 3 groups in your range, and the other two
    are for stuff that needs flagging. Almost nothing is so hard that you can't give a quick rundown.

And it's actually very hard to learn any quest you can't solo unless you put up your
    own lfm with no zerg in it, since unless it's new, someone is going to come along and rush it.

I understand why, it just makes any actual learning hard

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Often times i have never heard of these quests and would like to learn them but with attitudes like that i usually ignore the group and just move along.
    Thats rather the point. It means the person running the group doesnt want to babysit, and folks who dont know it should stay away, because neither of them is going to enjoy the experience. There are plenty of folks willing to help you learn Quest X (in particular, this is one of the many things guilds are for).

Simple fact is, after you have run a quest a couple hundred times, most folks just want to get it done quickly, not lead a group full of newbies through it. Some folks, however, ENJOY doing this, and there are plenty of them on every server.

Community Member

By avoiding 'Know It' LFMs, you are doing a huge favor to the community as a whole. Neither parties are subjected to the playing style of the other and we can all live happily knowing this. Fortunately we've come to our senses in this day and age, and have gained mutual respect for one another without publicly discriminating the opposite player-base on the community forums.

EDIT: I'd better point out that the cartoon figure in the white robe represents Ash.
    Last edited by Gimpinator; 03-12-2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: :-)

wait!!!!! what????
    people are actually reading the lfm's . . .
    there may be hope afterall.

anyway, i agree with ya OP. For far too many of the players in this
    game, it's a race to 20 (soon to be 25) and a grind to grind the grind
    at end game. Of course, they see the grind as getting to 20 and the
    fun part the "endgame" quest for gear.
    The Office of the Exchequer. 1750 on all live servers via Pure pugging. Thank you very much to all who helped carry a gimp . (wayfinder was a soloist build)

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpinator View Post
    By avoiding 'Know It' LFMs, you are doing a huge favor to the community as a whole. Neither parties are subjected to the playing style of the other and we can all live happily knowing this. Fortunately we've come to our senses in this day and age, and have gained mutual respect for one another without publicly discriminating the opposite player-base on the community forums.

EDIT: I'd better point out that the cartoon figure in the white robe represents Ash.
    Well damn there goes my messiah complex

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Wat hous?

Know it - something for wrunt and Oz
    Code:
    LMF:
    Shadow crypt, elite, BYOH, zerg, farm, IP
    Code:
    Me: we are inside for 4 min hurry to hop in.
    Random encounter 1: Ship invite pls
    Random encounter 1: Share pls
    ( after 2 min of buffing )
    Me: that quest isn't sharable
    Me: since it is last part of chain, so you need to be flagged to be on quest
    Random encounter 1: Ok, but which house then ??
    Me: Necropolis, Litany 2
    ( They see me trollin', they hatein' - learned that from gimpy )
    Random encounter 1: Oh i don't have pack, gonna buy it, since i lost VIP
    Me: Ok someone grab a window ill go out last
    Random encounter 1: Ok all done heading to quest
    Random encounter 1: Wait im getting im on wrong chapter !?!?!?!
    ( *** ? )
    Me: Yes you are on wrong chapter
    Me: But you can still go in get favor
    Me: Get EXP, and keep flag if you ever do whole chain
    Me: and then you can help guildies friends - to open it for them
    Random encounter 1: MMMMMkay
    3 min passed
    Random encounter 1: Guys my str is at 0 someone help me
    ( ofc we didnt have divine in group )
    This is one example why i think turbine need to let us use more text to describe LFM, since we cant put in LFM description
    • Shadow crypt, elite, BYOH, know it (P2P - litany 2), zerg, farm, IP

But then again know it would imply elite, byoh, zerg, farm, ip and that is pay to play pack and it is last from chain so no share and it comes form Litany 2 pack

When i do TR i usual don't chug pot ( exp ) but when i am on one stay away from me if you cant read my LFM, sadly i used to put difficulty under LFM description for quest. But some people find to hard to read difficulty that way and they are willing to go in quest on normal with 25% discount for being lazy.

*() - describe lil' voice in my skull
    Either way i saw gimpy post here so i had to do one as well XD
    Last edited by maha0201; 03-13-2012 at 02:49 AM.
    Thelanis -> D 20bbn (TR 1) | H 11rgr/7mnk/2ftr+2 (TR 1) | K 20bbn+3 (TR 3) | K 15pal/3mnk/2ftr (TR 1) | M 20+1 fvs (TR 2) | S 8mnk/12pal (TR 2)
    Gimped -> B 20wiz | Work in progress -> B (TR 1) 6rgr/6bbn/1rog | B (TR2) 14fs I drop BB; I don't HJEEEAL (:

Community Member

Heh, thread comes off as my playstyle is wrong (I dont want to spend my DDO time teaching strangers how to play DDO as I PLAY (you folks think grind)) but conversely you say you skip the LFMs! Meaning they are WAI.

So even with your view that this is bad, in reality this is a huge win IMO. Keep on passin em by! When i feel like holding hands Ill post as such. And a view from the other side to your gripe: Its not always about the teaching of strangers! your supposed to have fun once in a while too and just kick major butt and not sit there waiting...and waiting...and waiting
    Last edited by jeremyt; 03-13-2012 at 02:54 AM.
    Reckter: 28 heroic, 3 iconic and 19 eic PLs, now a 17 art/3rog shadar-kai. Anhilliation: 3x wiz/sorc PLs, 13 epic PLs now a dwarf 17barb/3bard. . Vikzor: 2xfvs + 4x epic PL horc 19fvs 1 fighter. Rekter: 3x rog & 1 fighter + 4 epic PLs, h-orc 13 rogue 6 monk 1 druid. Veisha: 3x bard + 4 epic PLs, PDK 16 bard 4 fighter.

Community Member

Its not always about the grind, you are supposed to have fun once in a while too. Please be kind to the other kind* (non grinders)
    My fun comes from running end game content, getting my toons capped very quickly and/or getting my TR/epic groups killed in hilarious ways while zerging like mad.

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't enjoy a group like that, so why do you make a thread whining that some people simply play the game in vastly different ways than you do and wish to filter similiar people into their groups?

2014 DDO Players Council

Good, as you skipping them IS the idea.

If you want to learn them, don't even think about the Elite Zerg Bravery Know It run, just go in on Casual with a hireling, and learn it at your own pace.

It's just another type of filter.

BYOH-filter
    TR only-filter
    know it-filter
    link item-filter
    min HP-filter
    zerging-filter

Solutions
    BYOH-have pots, immunity items, damage mitigation, bring a hire, tactics...you may still get healing, you may not

TR only-most lfms that say this don't actually mean TR only-send a tell saying something like "Not a TR but know it well and am competent". If someone has the confidence to hit a TR only lfm on a first lifer, they probably can hang with the group. If a group still doesn't accept you just because your lack of wings, they are a$$hats.

know it-90% of the time a wiki rundown is enough. If you are playing an MMO you HAVE internet, use it! Most quests are simple anyway. Possibly send a tell saying "been a while, a bit hazy on the details" or "Never done it but quick learner and exp'd player".

link item-tougher one to get around obviously...but if you don't have a beater for elite DR, or boots for tod, you probably shouldn't be hitting the lfm anyway.

If it's for normal shroud, they are foolish for even bothering to ask, or for tod...no one wants to get banished anyway, there is self motivation to get boots already.

min HP just send a tell saying-"a bit below that but....(have damage mitigation/self healing/evasion/know the quest/42 necro DC etc etc)" Min HP lfms for any quest below level 18 or so are just silly anyway-possibly a player that is so in love with their meaningless hp total at low levels (so little spike damage it's pointless) that they want attention.

zerging try and keep up and contribute, and not die.

Lfms are often worded to attract the better players/builds and shut out the bads...often they shouldn't be taken exactly word for word.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

3852 Favor, and I won't join any "Know it" LFM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRMechMan View Post
    It's just another type of filter.

BYOH-filter
    TR only-filter
    know it-filter
    link item-filter
    min HP-filter
    zerging-filter

Solutions
    BYOH-have pots, immunity items, damage mitigation, bring a hire, tactics...you may still get healing, you may not

TR only-most lfms that say this don't actually mean TR only-send a tell saying something like "Not a TR but know it well and am competent". If someone has the confidence to hit a TR only lfm on a first lifer, they probably can hang with the group. If a group still doesn't accept you just because your lack of wings, they are a$$hats.

know it-90% of the time a wiki rundown is enough. If you are playing an MMO you HAVE internet, use it! Most quests are simple anyway. Possibly send a tell saying "been a while, a bit hazy on the details" or "Never done it but quick learner and exp'd player".

link item-tougher one to get around obviously...but if you don't have a beater for elite DR, or boots for tod, you probably shouldn't be hitting the lfm anyway.

If it's for normal shroud, they are foolish for even bothering to ask, or for tod...no one wants to get banished anyway, there is self motivation to get boots already.

min HP just send a tell saying-"a bit below that but....(have damage mitigation/self healing/evasion/know the quest/42 necro DC etc etc)" Min HP lfms for any quest below level 18 or so are just silly anyway-possibly a player that is so in love with their meaningless hp total at low levels (so little spike damage it's pointless) that they want attention.

zerging try and keep up and contribute, and not die.

Lfms are often worded to attract the better players/builds and shut out the bads...often they shouldn't be taken exactly word for word.
    They all have the same meaning IMO.

With the possible exception of BYoH, which can mean different things to different people...... but usually seems to fall into the "I don't want to help anyone else" group, which is very similar to the others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Community Member

lolz this sentence just made my day .... i cant believe u said this lolz....... am not trying to be rude but try to re read what u said Sir ... basically you are trying to let people who didn't want pugs who don't know the quest in their group to regret not getting a pug who doesn't know the quest XD .... /confused
    Zarooth

Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow View Post
    They all have the same meaning IMO.

With the possible exception of BYoH, which can mean different things to different people...... but usually seems to fall into the "I don't want to help anyone else" group, which is very similar to the others.
    I am fairly jaded myself, but I find it better for my happyness playing the game to really try and look at the /lfm postings through the old rose colored glasses.

Maybe everyone posting /lfm's I don't want to join are evil nasty selfish "bads" as some seem to feel throughout the thread. If I'm not playing with them; then they are not effecting me. I can put up my own /lfm's when I want to, as can everyone.
    Occasionally playing on Cannith

Llyren, Kelda and some others.

Quote Originally Posted by dmslasher View Post
    i love teaching ppl quests but there is always a time and place for it i have found there have also been many times where i want to get through a quest as quickly as possible. so dont get upset about a group posting it its no offence to you they just want ppl who wont PULL that lever that shouldnt be pulled or stand in the wrong place and end up dead
    or whatever the case may be. its simple you see it posted join another group that will teach it to you. there are plenty of ppl out there that will teach quests to other like i said i do it many of times.
    This. I also love teaching quests. I also know that there are times when I just want to Zerg for fast completions on my TR and I do not want someone getting lost and creating soul stones. I will join both types of group and adjust my tactics accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    No, although VIP players do get free Gold rolls on Daily Dice, so that might fit into your criteria. But when it comes to chest drops, chain rewards, general Daily Dice rolls (what number you get), etc., VIP does not confer additional "luck".

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast