Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default How to kill a beholder

I am a just qualified level 9 tempest trapmonkey. Having attempted Caverns of Korromar I have no idea how to deal with a beholder. I quest solo with a cleric hireling.

My first attempt involved by dying in 0 seconds flat. My hireling died just as he got to my soul stone.

For the second attempt, put on death block armour. He was hovering at a height that seemed I would not be able to reach him to melee I tried to range him but was being thrown about with telekinesis paralyzed regularly and down 5 levels before coming to a not much slower death.

Looking at the wiki death ward probably wont help much as it will anti magic it.

Can I reach it with my sword or do I need a pure good bow / arrows (or similar my current bow is silver and I just had my standard +3 arrows)?

Is spell absorption a must have item? Do I need anything else.

Was I just unlucky with my saves?

Or am I just unsuited to fighting beholders?

In a more general sense as I level up is it expected that you have to read up what is coming up in every quest to you have the right items on and the right buffs set before you encounter a monster. If so this appears to me to spoil the adventure of trying to work my way through dungeons without resorting to spoilers.

You can hit it with a Sword. I have done so many times.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    I am a just qualified level 9 tempest trapmonkey. Having attempted Caverns of Korromar I have no idea how to deal with a beholder. I quest solo with a cleric hireling.

My first attempt involved by dying in 0 seconds flat. My hireling died just as he got to my soul stone.

For the second attempt, put on death block armour. He was hovering at a height that seemed I would not be able to reach him to melee I tried to range him but was being thrown about with telekinesis paralyzed regularly and down 5 levels before coming to a not much slower death.

Looking at the wiki death ward probably wont help much as it will anti magic it.

Can I reach it with my sword or do I need a pure good bow / arrows (or similar my current bow is silver and I just had my standard +3 arrows)?

Is spell absorption a must have item? Do I need anything else.

Was I just unlucky with my saves?

Or am I just unsuited to fighting beholders?

In a more general sense as I level up is it expected that you have to read up what is coming up in every quest to you have the right items on and the right buffs set before you encounter a monster. If so this appears to me to spoil the adventure of trying to work my way through dungeons without resorting to spoilers.
    I also solo with a hireling. My strategy for killing a beholder is to run around in circles screaming while at the same time swinging wildly with my weapon. Sometimes, I kill the beholder ... sometimes the beholder kills me. Either way, its fun to watch.

But seriously, if I am on a melee ... I try to sneak up on the beholder and hit it as quickly as possible. If you can get the jump on a beholder, they will go down pretty fast.

I always try to keep my hireling hidden away so that I can run back to it for a heal.

Finally, deathward is also your friend. It may save you from some level drains before the beholder is able to snuff it out.

Beholder soloing is a delicate affair.

Typically, you want to make sure that you are wearing a Death Block item. Spell absorption is great if you've got it (Mantle, etc.), but not completely necessary.

Hit points, like in just about every other situation too, are king. A high Fortitude save will prevent you from getting chumped in one shot from Disintegrate. High, quick DPS really is the best solution. The faster you kill him, the less chances he has of killing you.

They float above the ground. However, they can typically be meleed. Their hit box extends all the way to the ground, and you should see the "targetting circle" on the floor beneath where they hover. Aim there. While jumping does not help, sometimes it'll make you feel a little bit better about the ensuing combat. And screaming. Screaming is sometimes also an aid.

Buffs and spells are pointless. Unless they are bard songs, or spell like abilities (SLAs). OR, if you can get the thing to turn around and face the other direction. Your hireling can't heal you, either, if the beholder is looking at him/her.

If you can afford some aberration slaying arrows, those will do the trick. Not sure if the one in Korromar is insta-death immune.

Otherwise you need to shoot and dodge so you don't get hit by his eyebeams. Pop out of cover, shoot, go right back in. Don't trade fire with him. If you do it fast enough, he shouldn't be able to hit you. Deathblock item will be handy, but don't rely on any casted buffs.

If you want to melee, get in range as fast as possible and stick to his back. You have spring attack, so hitting him while moving shouldn't be a problem. The back eyes have the least harmful of his spells, and deathblock and a fire resist item will block the damage it can do. Just keep circle strafing around him if he turns to face you.
    Elessi

Hide just around corner outside door. Step into veiw, fire arrow step back into cover. Do it really quick all as one action and repeat till beholder is dead. You can take that beholder out this way easily.

Generally spell absorption items will save you alot of trouble with beholders in general. There is a few lowbie trinkets with some no recharge spell absorption. In threanal there is mantle of the world shaper, from the necropolis you can get a trinket upgraded to have deathblock and charges of neg energy absorption. Hard to get till your higher level is the ioun stone with spell apsorption.

If you have umd or a clickie or your ranger summons you can use them to draw aggro and try to take it out before it gets to you.

If you can find the wans for it and use them wands of fire wall or icestorm might help you out too. Just cast it and hide behind corner till it runs out, then repeat.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Community Member

That beholder can be tough, as it is a red named one. get aberation bane weapons, put on the deathblock, and rush it while praying. (yelling DIIIIIIIIEEEEE might help too). you should be able to hit in melee with no problems.

for run of the mill beholders, I like paralyzing bows. you can have one party member sniping them with the paralyzing bow while the rest rush it.

Other options:
    wounding - beholders have low con usually, so can become helpless quick
    weakening - same with str

as you level up, there are two items to keep an eye out for:
    silver flame necklace from necropolis - can be upgraded to have 10 charges of absorb negative energy. they'll block finger of death and the level drains
    beholder optic nerves from invaders! - 8 charges of absorb beholder spells. invaders can be challenging, and I won't give spoilers.

As for questing - yes. quests become more and more challenging. however, remember that as one point or another, each and every quest has been run with no spoilers for the very first time. if you relish the challenge, go for it. you might fail a time or two (or 10 or 20) but you should learn every time you do. If you can't bear the thought of running a quest just to die at the end boss due to lack of preparation, then go ahead and wiki the quest to learn what's coming. or just run with a group, and benefit from other people's experience.

Default A couple things that will help...

For regular non-boss beholders

A Silver Flame Pendant (in 3 minimum level varieties 5th, 9th, 11th) will absorb negative leveling from the beholders.
    So will a Scarab of Protection.

An Unsupressed Pale Lavender Ioun Stone will prevent the beholders anti-magic ray from dispelling your buffs (like Deathward) UNLESS you have on a Mantle of World Shaper with it. The mantle charges get used up then the PLIS stops working.

A Scarab of Spell Absorbtion *should* work similar to PLIS but havn't tested it personally.

There are Anti-Beholder Crystals that Absorb Beholder Eye ray attacks but are pretty rare chest drops.

The is a pair of Goggles called Beholder Field Optics iirc that are pretty nice.

With your Object Draw Distance set on MAX you should see and be able to target Beholders from a Distance before they see you.

A Paralyzing Bow with Manyshot can work wonders. There is also a Longbow of Elements Earth that is available from the House C challenge vendors that has a chance of encasing foes in Stone. The Frozen Tunic from the House C challenges has a chance to encase a Foe in an Icy prison when you hit it with a ranged or melee attack and can be really helpful as well.

BUT Red Named Beholders like the Boss in Caverns of Korromar and the Red Named Beholder Boss in VoN3 are immune to paralysis, flesh to stone, freezing ice, dancing, hold monster, charm etc etc.

Beholders are a very tough deadly foe for newer players but with some time/experience/gearing can be handled.

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

Deathblock and Manyshot.

Holy Bow (with a secondary damage. Burst is even better) Gather some Elemental arrows as well... The more burst damage you can do the better.

Most "Floating" mobs have hit boxes the same height as regular walking mobs. You do not need to do anything special to hit them. Flying mobs.. Different story...
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

You are correct Deathward becomes ineffective since the Anti-magic would just strip it away.

You can hit a beholder using melee weapons, they are not as high up as they seem.

Couple items that can help

1. Deathblock - Keeps the instant kills from ending you - does not help negative energy or heavy hitting spells
    2. Silver Flame Pendent from Necro 1 & 2 Series - has deathblock and 1 or 5 charge of Negative Energy Absorption - it will block at least one to five rounds of Energy Drain
    3. Mantle of the Worldshaper (End reward from Ruins of Threnal) - This will absorb 5 spells not only negative energy but all of the other ones such as disintegrate
    4. Strength/Con Sapping item - Interesting note beholders have very low strength and very low con. Even Red Named bosses can have up to 10 points stripped from them. I believe this is enough to even disable this named Beholder for a short time.
    5. Scarab of spell absorption - its a single time use can sometimes be found in chests as end reward and sometimes can be found cheap on AH

For the TR (or those lucky enough to have someone help them in Dreaming Dark) the Pale Lavendar Ioun Stone can also serve as an Anti Beholder item.

Last resort and if your willing to use TP, I believe there are some items in the DDO store that can help prevent Beholder death. (I'm not advocating it but just including it for completeness for level 9 options).

Always try to stay behind/under a beholder.
    Last edited by Enoach; 03-12-2012 at 01:50 PM.

Community Member

If you're the patient and tactical kind, perhaps this post will be useful for you:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...light=beholder

Community Member

For a solo Ranger, I would recommend using a bow and some cover.

(Beholders are Aberrations if looking to use Bane arrows)

Beholders have very low Str, and when they are reduced to 0 str they are incapable of using any of their nasty stuff, just a weak bite attack. However the beholder in Caverns of Korromar is red-named, so may be resistant to being reduced to 0 Str by Str damage alone. As such I'd recommend focusing on damage rather than incapacitating him.

He can still be made helpless using Str penalty effects (Strength Sapping weapons, ray of enfeeblement/exhaustion clickies) on top of Str damaging stuff (Weakening, Enfeebling) though.

Hireling-wise, a WF melee can be useful as cannon fodder, as it will have high fortitude saves and immunity to neg levels.

More advanced tips on handling Beholders in this thread:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=151041

First the obvious: wear a deathblock item. If you can stat damage them, go for strength damage.

Next most important is to understand the anatomy of a Beholder. It has 4 sides-- front, back, left, and right. The front side can hit you with Disintegrate, Enervation, Telekenesis, and Anti-Magic. Not a good combo to fight against, so avoid the front. The back side has Finger of Death and Bestow Curse, and you should avoid those as well. The left side has Flesh to Stone, which is also a bummer. The right side has Hold Monster and Inflict Serious Wounds, which are worthless. So to fight a Beholder, fight on the right side of it.

This is easier said than done and requires good moving skills, as Beholders tend to move and spin, but it can be done consistently.
    On Thelanis: Survo ... Wattr ... Tigerpalm ... Cranefist ... Hobbson ... Grayed ... Shadowstance ... Smashcut

Regular beholders shouldn't be a threat - they're a giant eye, and eyes are very fragile. They should go down before they do much more than dispell you.

Also, despite their strange multisided spellcasting, like all casters they suffer from the same "facing the wrong direction" that plagues mundane wizards. If you circle it as you fight, there's a considerable chance that its spells will fail to cast. This doesn't seem to apply to telekinesis, however.

I'll be sad if they ever fix this, it's a great trick as a melee.
    Last edited by FrozenNova; 03-12-2012 at 02:13 PM.

I find the easiest way to kill a beholder is to run away screaming like a little girl while the rest of the party takes it out - I have yet to ever die this way.

Proud officer of Crate and Barrel Smashing, LLC

Community Member

Deathblock is a must. The silver flame talisman is very nice if you have one, as it will protect you from level drain ten times.

Stand in the corner of the door outside of the beholder's room. Shoot the trash in the room to get their attention and melee them when they come to you. Again, stand in the corner outside the beholder's room, so the beholder can't get you. Similarly, plant your hireling someplace the beholder can't see.

Once, you've taken care of the trash, drink a haste pot, activate any useful boosts and manyshot, then fire with an appropriate bow. I prefer a Banishing Longbow of Pure Good with Holy Arrows (that's a total of 7d6 extra damage, plus an extra 100 damage on a natural 20). The same combo will continue to be useful through endgame, so it's a worthwhile investment. If you can find some Abberation Bane/Slaying arrows, even better. When manyshot runs out or if you've taken too much damage, duck back into your corner.

Cross your fingers and repeat until the beholder is dead.
    My Trade List
    My build: The Jack of Fists, Monk 12 / Ranger 6 / Rogue 2, melee generalist
    My toon: Agthorr on Khyber

Doublecheck to ensure you are wearing Deathblock, necro necklace, or beholder absorption item if you are fortunate enough to track one down.

If there is more than one beolder try to draw one away at a time (pull 1 at a time away from their default location) if there is only 1 then select an approach method usally consisting of..Sneak until discovered, mad running dash, or if equipped.. range.
    dont stay still.. Circling while swinging madly or strafing to avoid the disintigrate.. it hurts..

Lockdown hirling away from the battle, they die too quickly or aggro more than you can handle.

Embrace the paralyzer. Once the beholder is paralyzed it is much easier to dispatch.
    Last edited by JOTMON; 03-12-2012 at 02:15 PM.
    Jotmon -
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Argo-Jotmon(HC 28/42,EC 26/36,IC 17/15,RC 14/30), Jotlock(HC 38/42,EC 36/36,IC 15/15, RC 0/30)..
    and several once viable raiding alts dumped into the packmule stables..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Too bad I 'purchased' maximum character slots for my account, SSG has now chosen to cater the giveaway perks to benefit multiple freebie accounts instead of the paying customers.

Cheat.

The same applies to bows as well as repeaters. The tip of your weapon extends outside your hitbox. You have about a 60 degree arc (30 degrees from center line) where your arrows will track to a hard-targetted critter. Hide behind something, and watch your Die rolls to make sure you're not just firing into the wall across from you and you need to turn towards the critter some more...

Community Member

Red-named monsters (such as the beholder at the end of Caverns of Korromar that the original poster is fighting) cannot be paralyzed or incapacitated in any way. It's a decent strategy for other beholders, though. I still prefer a banishing weapon: on a natural 20 it will instakill regular beholders or deal an extra 100 damage to red-named beholders.
    Last edited by Snarglefrump; 03-12-2012 at 02:36 PM.
    My Trade List
    My build: The Jack of Fists, Monk 12 / Ranger 6 / Rogue 2, melee generalist
    My toon: Agthorr on Khyber

Community Member

Bow of weakening + manyshot.

Note that stat damage has been nerfed, but I think it should put the beholder out of action (beholder with no eye attack ~= dead beholder). No comment on ease of obtaining a weakening bow.

If you get a paralyzing bow, I'd keep that until enemies reliably save. I'd keep looking for a weakening bow, just take your time and try to get one relatively cheap.

My ranger still has aberrations as a favored enemy (make sure you take evil outsiders first). My reasoning was between beholders, elementals and constructs - beholders wiped more parties than any other enemy. This was before house C and my weakening bow, so I should respec that. Something to think about.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast