Default Artificer Dilettante - CAN'T SELF BUFF!

I just LR'd a spellsinger bard that I wasn't really into with the hopes that changing to the Arty Dilettante would resurrect my interest. Awesome that I can now use Repeaters and my UMD has increased ...

But "self buffing" doesn't work! You can't cast any weapon buff on yourself (Insightful Strikes, Elemental Weapons, etc.)! I understand that from a game mechanics perspective it is a scroll and you are removing the weapon from your mainhand to use the scroll, but I feel that you should be able to cast it on an item in your inventory. Maybe I am just frustrated, but there should be a way for Turbine to change this. Otherwise you are missing out on a whole benefit of having an Arty Dilettante.

Using the Arty Dilly on my Helf Clr TR and the Arty Dilly doesn't allow you to scroll a buff on a weapon because it's in your backpack - this is simply a DDO mechanic - like masters touch. The 1d6 elemental buff is not an issue as it's not much DPS. If you could UMD Inciteful Damage onto your repeater, any Wizzy or high Int Repeater Rog significantly jumps up in DPS. I am not sure that is needed nor intended. Mech rogs need a buff so for them I could see some synergy, but certainly not for wizzy's or other UMD bards and rogs.

The Dilly seems in line with the power of the other Dilly feats as it is. You get +1 UMD and free repeater feats.

WAI IMO.
    Captain's Crew - Ghallanda

Anyone else notice scrolls of Conjure Bolt don't work? It should create stacks in your inventory but it doesn't seem to work for me.
    Last edited by Jamz; 03-22-2012 at 01:02 PM.

The Implemented mechanic is Main Hand and Off Hand.

Using a scroll to buff a single handed weapon requires that the weapon be in the off hand. Two handed weapons cannot be scrolled...

This started when Master's Touch was changed from giving you All Martial Weapon Proficiency to only Proficiency with what you have in your hands. This change made it so that players could not Scroll Two Handed Weapon Proficiency unless they had the spell memorized or were lucky enough to have a fellow party member cast it on them. I believe the reason this was done was because it caused LAG while updating the person with all of their new proficiency.

This same mechanic came forward into the Artificer's weapon buff line. In PnP the requirement for an infusion/item enhancing spell usually requires being able to touch the item. That means we could select stuff from our inventory. When buffing others it would be equivalent of them giving us access to their pack.

Turbine went simple and made it so that it effects the current held/worn items.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by redraider View Post
    If you could UMD Insightful Damage onto your repeater, any Wizzy or high Int Repeater Rog significantly jumps up in DPS.
    Rogues with the mechanic prestige enhancement line already add their int mod to damage, so I'm not sure if that is really as overpowered or undesirable as you think. Maybe if the buff stacked to double the int mod but I'm betting that wouldn't work either.

Quote Originally Posted by assimilateur View Post
    Rogues with the mechanic prestige enhancement line already add their int mod to damage, so I'm not sure if that is really as overpowered or undesirable as you think. Maybe if the buff stacked to double the int mod but I'm betting that wouldn't work either.
    It would stack, as per Eladrin, which is why it won't work from a scroll, but it'd work if you splashed arti to self cast.
    Devs: Thanks for making Druids available to VIPs without the pack. This more than anything, has made me want to buy the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by redraider View Post
    Using the Arty Dilly on my Helf Clr TR and the Arty Dilly doesn't allow you to scroll a buff on a weapon because it's in your backpack - this is simply a DDO mechanic - like masters touch. The 1d6 elemental buff is not an issue as it's not much DPS. If you could UMD Inciteful Damage onto your repeater, any Wizzy or high Int Repeater Rog significantly jumps up in DPS. I am not sure that is needed nor intended. Mech rogs need a buff so for them I could see some synergy, but certainly not for wizzy's or other UMD bards and rogs.

The Dilly seems in line with the power of the other Dilly feats as it is. You get +1 UMD and free repeater feats.

WAI IMO.
    While I agree with 95% of this, I would like to point out that that 1d6 elemental damage, with a repeater I believe would pan out to be more like 3d6 damage, from the multiple bolts, would it not? That is much more of an issue, as it is much more noticeable dps. However, the mechanic for scrolls as they stand (namely started with Masters Touch) are that way for a reason, as others have stated.