Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gizeh View Post
    The escape sequence in von4 (Haywire Foundry) after activating self destruct reminds me a lot of the rebels escaping the death star after shooting its core in Return of the Jedi...
    Barely. Try Metroid.
    Cannith: Ortarr (leader of Killer Dwarfs) - Purge Bravely - Drunkungfu Master - Ortarrdo Son of Ortarr - *others*

Quote Originally Posted by Talias006 View Post
    Fixed that for you... was leading to a page that asked if you meant the now fixed link.
    Thanks man

Quote Originally Posted by Habreno View Post
    U11 Crafting introduces Runestones (http://ddowiki.com/page/Runestone), not sure if these are a reference to Runescape, which uses Runes (which are stones) for casting magic spells.

That, or they copied from their other game LOTRO, where the magic user is called a RuneKeeper and they use runestones as their weapons. Or both, meaning they copied Runescape for Lotro, and then in DDO??
    Nomuertos 20/3 Human Wizard Rendu 18 Elf Rogue Rianoc 15 Human Cleric
    Vodaire 18/2/2 Elf Paladin/Fighter Xr-73 12 WF Artificer XR-72 8 Favored Soul Stargrazer 3 Human Druid
    Tahren 16 Drow Sorcerer Life 2 of ?

Cool

Im surprised i didnt mention this at first since it was the 2nd easter egg i ever found in the game.Minos Legens is a reference to Minos the king of Crete at ancient times in greek.the myth says there was a large labirynth(maze) under his palace where at its center lived a terrible monster named Minotaur (Mino from Minos.the very first minotaur from where the dnd minotaurs originated).Minos legens says that it belonged to a minotaur lord.So..the name Minos+minotaur...easy to understand.
    2nd reference i found mutch later is at Von 2 (prisoner of mind) where there is a maze with minotaur enemys inside.another obvious reference to Minos+minotaurs+labyrinth
    I love how they used a myth from my country as an easter egg
    Last edited by Vasiok; 03-05-2012 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aelbshadecrafter View Post
    You have to kill Cavalier, Ranger, Magician, and Barbarian. You can find a dead Acrobat. Only thing missing from the 80s cartoon is the Thief.
    A D&DC reference in DDO??!!! Where?! I missed that complete and I'm a huge avid fan of the cartoon. You tell me now that there is a reference around there about Venger and I can faint :P

Anyway, I was seeing the thread upside down and I didn't see this reference at all:

In the Maze of Madness quest in Gianthold, the last boss is called: Malkian the mad. I dunno if I'm mistaken or what but sound too much like Malkav, the creator of Malkavian clan in Vampire: The masquerade tabletop rpg, a clan of vampires very well known for using forms of madness as powers :P

Si non confectus, non reficiat

[QUOTE=MrkGrismer;4342728]and Rainbow in the Dark is a Dio song.
    /QUOTE]

No no... Everyone knows Rainbow in the Dark was a tribute to my rogue "Inthedark Takemdown".

To be honest, I dont' know what possessed me to name him that, but it did predate the quest. :-)
    Favorhor, Rangedeath, Inthedark, Healemup, Axaleal, Hackemlow, Singasong, Intheback

Community Member

One of the kobolds in Kobold island says, "Why's everybody always pickin' on kobold."

That seems to be a play on "Why's everbody always pickin' on me." This is a song by the Bloodhound Gang or more likely a reference to the Coasters' song "Charlie Brown" which has that line as a punchline.

Quote Originally Posted by Sker-lyn View Post
    A D&DC reference in DDO??!!! Where?! I missed that complete and I'm a huge avid fan of the cartoon. You tell me now that there is a reference around there about Venger and I can faint :P
    The quest is Fear Factory.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDearLeader View Post
    but no venger reference.

The three metal golems near the elevator in the cannith manufactury say something along the lines of 'stop the humanoid" "stop the intruder"

This is the video game berzerk from the 80's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codeshaper View Post
    Now that's just crazy talk
    “It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts acquire speed, the teeth acquire staining, the staining becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tinco View Post
    Most Warforged in House Cannith Enclave are named after variants of Polearms, a hint on upcoming weapons or simply a pun on this recurring player suggestion.
    Reminds me of this comic. And that reminds me of Monty Python of course

Quote Originally Posted by furbyoats View Post
    Probably already posted (I'm in a hurry so I can't read the whole thread but...)

The Bookbinder rescue: Dialogue boxes with the NPCs reference the Terminator

Monk trainer in the harbor: The 2 trainees in front of him are named variants of Ken and Ryu (Street Fighter)

Phoenix Tavern: The band above the PvP area have interesting names, one is an offshoot of John Lennon

Obviously the vale quests are named after songs/bands:

Rainbow in the Dark - Dio
    Running with the Devils - Van Halen
    Coalescence Chamber - (Coal Chamber)

Ritual Sacrifice and Let Sleeping Dust Lie...not sure of those 2

...that's all I have time for
    Maybe:
    * Ritual Sacrifice - Metal Band from 1987
    * We have collectable bags, hell even hireling folders, but can I have that 6-pack for my potions please?
    * Having already a past life on the dieng EU servers, I rerolled here and started from scratch as I like the game and the community, so lets see what awaits me here

Talking

The bowling alley in one of the orchard of the macabre crypt ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Yarrrrr View Post
    The bowling alley in one of the orchard of the macabre crypt ^^
    there is also like this at crystal cove

Community Member EustaceTrevelyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaarax View Post
    Got some more to add:

In The Weapon's Shipment the Planescaller replies to the Pit Fiend who appears: Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational Battle Titan. A reference to the Emperor saying much the same thing to Luke Skywalker in Return of the Jedi when he reveals that the Death Star is in fact operational.

Also in The Weapon's Shipment, the Pit Fiend's response to this is: Why didn't anyone tell me the mortals had one of these things? A reference to the Joker's annoyed reaction to Batman stealing his ballons in the 1989 Batman movie.

In Reaver's Reach there are 4 kobolds dancing in a corner and if you click on them they say some weird little phrase. There are 4 of these phrases in all, and if you put them in the right order you get: Bah weep Grah nah weep ni ni bong. Which is the Universal Greeting from the old animated Transformers movie!

In the tavern near the market entrance in House Deneith are the 4 questgivers for the Depths series. They are named Keane d'Deneith, Scholes of Vedykar, Giggs Elorathi and Neville (I forget the rest of his name lol). They are a homage to Roy Keane, Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs and Gary Neville, all legendary players for the English Premier League football team: Manchester United.
    The star wars thing, like almost all star wars references, is a layup, but the other ones you get +1 for, since those are all both obscure and multidiscipline. Well played sir

Default Like me...

the Challenge Trader in House C near the Rushmore challenges "Dinwyn Nutting" in the lottery...

Wink

Kupper-Nickel(wayfinder that takes you at Menechtarun)=Copper-Nickel
    Also could it be that Almyra Barrowdown the NPC next to the Cerulian Hills entrance is a reference to the Barrow Downs from LOTR?also she is next to a hill area(another hint to the reference).
    Last edited by Enel; 03-05-2012 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Kupper-Nickel(wayfinder that takes you at Menechtarun)=Copper-Nickel
    Also could it be that Almyra Barrowdown the NPC next to the Cerulian Hills entrance is a reference to the Barrow Downs from LOTR?also she is next to a hill area(another hint to the reference).
    Also Shard the cloth broker WF at market is another one of the material-chemist names WF have

Default Oh...

Quote Originally Posted by TheDearLeader View Post
    I missed that totally!

I mean, I did that line of quests (my pals and I call those quests 'the gay illithid stuff' ) with most of my characters but I missed the connection.

It's a pity that, in the game, isn't a reference to the greatest evil character of all time (aka Venger ). If they add him in anyway (I could kill for work with him but kick moderatelly his ass or fight him and then run to the hills is ok in my book) I could be a very, very, very, very happy fangirl

Si non confectus, non reficiat

Quote Originally Posted by Vasiok View Post
    Also Shard the cloth broker WF at market is another one of the material-chemist names WF have
    Not to mention Zircon from the Sharn Syndicate chain. (Zirconium)
    Last edited by stoerm; 03-11-2012 at 03:16 AM.
    Praise the Dark Six and pass the heals to pure melees.
    Full feat tree; Cannith; change; merger; evil; win; minmaxing; FotM; deja vu; Kobolds.
    Dungeons and Dragons Online ~ Nude Song and Gnarled Onions

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast