Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Default Hey all

I think that GrampaBill is deserving of a special title, for his role in starting this thread and helping to keep it going. As such, I sent a PM to Tolero asking if such a thing could be done for him and even made the suggestion of The Egg-Man or The Walrus(in reference to The Beatles song, lol). If anyone thinks this would be a good idea, send her a PM with his name in the title and let her know he deserves a special forum title.

Saal
    "Fools said I, you do not know. Silence like a cancer grows, hear my words that I might teach you, take my hand that I might reach you, but my words like silent raindrops fell...."-Paul Simon "Day after day, we caught no breath or motion. As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean."--Coleridge

A private island with Johnny Depp, ahem, I mean my hubby

Quote Originally Posted by Saaluta View Post
    I think that GrampaBill is deserving of a special title, for his role in starting this thread and helping to keep it going. As such, I sent a PM to Tolero asking if such a thing could be done for him and even made the suggestion of The Egg-Man or The Walrus(in reference to The Beatles song, lol). If anyone thinks this would be a good idea, send her a PM with his name in the title and let her know he deserves a special forum title.

Saal
    Easter Bunny?
    When asked, "What are we going to do tonight?" the only acceptable answer is, "The same thing we do every night...Try to take over the world!"
    Sarlona - Auralana, Orcalana, JuicyLucy, Aquani, Wistia, Aurabella, Guildy, etc. If you see the last name Hather, it's either me or the hubby.

Quote Originally Posted by brian14 View Post
    What's so punny about Old Man Newton? I do not associate Newton with drinks and taverns in any way.
    Well, Newton seems like a name out-of-place in Eberron.

Quote Originally Posted by brian14 View Post
    The last one goes over my head completely. "Melburne Piker" is a pun on what?
    Not much as a pun, but a joke. Come on, we all have piked once or twice.
    Farm Epic Elite Chests by yourself.
    Hide of Goristro ~5 Mins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNIwV...ature=youtu.be
    Spider Silk & Stone Heart ~2 Mins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSABE...ature=youtu.be

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Auralana7214 View Post
    Easter Bunny?
    Was trying to stay away from that one, but if you think it's better, PM it to Tolero

Saal
    "Fools said I, you do not know. Silence like a cancer grows, hear my words that I might teach you, take my hand that I might reach you, but my words like silent raindrops fell...."-Paul Simon "Day after day, we caught no breath or motion. As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean."--Coleridge

Default Neihoden

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzycheetah View Post
    Neihoden in Fear factory could also be a reference to Nidhogg from Norse mythology. Nidhogg is the serpent/dragon that gnaws at the roots of the world tree Yggdrasil. Some interpretation of the story says that the arrival of Nidhogg heralds the coming of Ragnarok = the end of the world.
    See what I just did there....?
    dooooom!
    _Nehoiden_ is also the name of the chief the founders of Needham, MA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Needham,_Massachusetts) bought the land off that the town is now located on. Turbine has it's HQ conveniently close to/in that place.

This is the kind of useless knowledge that Google and the great server meltdown last month lead to...

Mustardseed

PS: The chief also has a street and a golf course named after him. Google ftw.

Default Stunning Blow sound

The sound coming from the Stunning Blow, is very familiar with the series of El chavo (chaves) that was very successful in Brazil and Mexico.
    Here follows a link to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T8QobP5F0k

In Let Sleeping Dust Lie, (home of Kkomglol), the name of the Queen Spider you protect is Lycosa which is the name of the Genus of wolf spiders.

Lycos, the website, was also named for the same thing.

In Three Barrel Cove, there are two drunk House Deneith Sentinel guards, and if you talk to them, one of them mentions (in his drunken state) that the only way someone could breach House D's defenses is if they were able to fly like a bird - which of course is exactly what the pirates do in the Sentinel's chain.
    Cannith:
    Brigette; Warlock12/Monk3(14th life) || Aoeryn; Wiz20(3rd life).

Came across a couple new items as I traverse the TR road.

In Delerium when you attempt to free the cook, the Xorian Madness takes effect and the hams and clams in the kitchen become: Clambies and Hambies.

While not an Easter Egg, I always get a kick out of Irestone Inlet when you kill the Captain. The DM ends with something like "As Yaaryar draws his final breath he yells out 'I'll kill you all'. Effectively calling his own bluff." And I just realized that Yarryar is Pirate double speak.
    Dec 21, 2011: Regarding signature errors like the one to the left:
    Quote Originally Posted by droipamine View Post
    I imagine we'll be looking at this very soon.

The Hatchery

The fire elemental in the end of Rainbow in the Dark is called Turun Palo for a reason!
    The Cult Has Risen Again (Welcome Back) ~ The Spellswords ~ Khim* on Ghallanda.
    EU: Keeper (RIP)

Its not realy an easter egg, but still I was shocked when I found this. The Black Abbot, final boss of the Accursed Ascension story arc has quite a lot in common with "Malekith the Accursed" - a supervillain in the Marvel Universe.

Thorn and Paw:
    One of the orange named druids says: You are to late... the druid you are looking for is in another den.

Relic of the Sovereign Past:
    End boss says: You can have the sword once you pry it from my cold dead hands.

One of the biggies that I don't believe has been mentioned is the slight change to the Eberron loading screen for every adventure pack introduction. The only one I'm not sure about was U14. Was the "v" shaped crack right below the light going skyward always there? I think it'd be great if anyone has a screen capture of the changes the loading screen has gone through with each pack introduction.

The last update I'm sure about was the building to the far right with the lightning - that was when House Cannith was introduced.
    Dec 21, 2011: Regarding signature errors like the one to the left:
    Quote Originally Posted by droipamine View Post
    I imagine we'll be looking at this very soon.

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Texas - the most "MURICA!" part of 'murica! rawr

Quote Originally Posted by Qezuzu View Post
    [img]
    [img]
    [img]

Ponies? In my DDO? It's more likely than you think.

Nightmare is a reference to Nightmare Moon...

Celestia is a reference to Princess Celestia...

Twilight is a reference to Twilight Sparkle...

if you *really* wanna be technical, i believe there's a forth, slightly more subtle one.

Pinion, Cloud-piercer... Pinions refer to a bird's flight feathers... sometimes used to refer to the whole wing. cloud-piercer... screaming... and the ranged alacrity propery on this weapon all imply extreme speed across the sky...and ranged alacrity 20%... 20% cooler, no? come on some pony fan tell me who you think of now.. with these clues laid out so plainly?

the official home of LOLWUT

LONG LIVE R.O.G.U.E ! Pay2Win AND PROUD
    Q: how do you get me to instantly appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question!

One I noted the other day was in The Captives quest in Cerulean Hills. There's a rare ooze in that one named Oozo, which is probably a reference to the anise-flavored liqueur Ouzo, which is popular in Greece.

Community Member Superspeed_Hi5's Avatar

One of the NPCs in the Marketplace is named Rudolf Reitman, which is obviously a reference to my old Scoutmaster from NYC Troop 589 Rudolf Reitmann. Weird that anyone in Turbine knows about him.

LOL Im kidding unless one of my old Troop mates works for Turbine and I dont know about it. It just always brings a tear to my eye when I run into this NPC as Mr. Reitmann passed from cancer about 15 years ago and really did alot for the community.

New druid quests:

Day of the triffid references abound.

There is also a reference to subtle baldurs gate(the computer game not the place) from the bards dialogue.

"Be a wolf a bear and a fish", is actualy consistant with some very old druidic lore(2k years+), the kind that gets passed down through families to escape witch trials through the ages. Kudos to the devs on excelent research there. The info could of course have come from older D&D literature, as the harpers and biowares grey wardens are both based on an ancient bitish/celtic bard/druidic group that were notorious for wearing grey cloaks and acted as peacekeepers and law enforcers across multiple towns and villages. That quote above being a reference to various orders and practices of said group.
    Ex Euro player from devourer: Charaters on orien(Officer of Under Estimated & Nightfox): Wrothgar, Cobolt, Shadeweaver, TheMetal, Metaphysical, Allfred, Razortusk and many more.
    stuff by me: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...02#post4938302

Quote Originally Posted by katz View Post
    Pinion, Cloud-piercer... Pinions refer to a bird's flight feathers... sometimes used to refer to the whole wing. cloud-piercer... screaming... and the ranged alacrity propery on this weapon all imply extreme speed across the sky...and ranged alacrity 20%... 20% cooler, no? come on some pony fan tell me who you think of now.. with these clues laid out so plainly?
    Screaming I assume would represent the Sonic Rainboom... I can definitely see it but I think it's a stretch. Of course, I would love it if FoS were to confirm or deny that the only reason the bow's name is Pinion is because someone up the chain vetoed "Rainbow" and "Dash" as names.
    Bronies: For those who get it, no explanation is needed; for those who don't, none will do.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrampaBill View Post
    One of the biggies that I don't believe has been mentioned is the slight change to the Eberron loading screen for every adventure pack introduction. The only one I'm not sure about was U14. Was the "v" shaped crack right below the light going skyward always there? I think it'd be great if anyone has a screen capture of the changes the loading screen has gone through with each pack introduction.

The last update I'm sure about was the building to the far right with the lightning - that was when House Cannith was introduced.
    Glad you posted this one, I thought I was going nuts or my memory was going. Will be keeping a closer eye on loading screens now.
    Nomuertos 20/3 Human Wizard Rendu 18 Elf Rogue Rianoc 15 Human Cleric
    Vodaire 18/2/2 Elf Paladin/Fighter Xr-73 12 WF Artificer XR-72 8 Favored Soul Stargrazer 3 Human Druid
    Tahren 16 Drow Sorcerer Life 2 of ?

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    this reminds me, the fire giant in Von2 - Ingstoldt ---> Ingolstadt
    Ingolstadt is a city in Germany, the setting of Frankenstein, founding location of the Illuminati, and other historical themes.

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast