Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Talking

I had completely forgotten those 2 but i remembered today:
    1 The "Where There Is Smoke" quest in Cerulian Hills is a reference to the expresion : where there is smoke there is fire .
    2 The Summerfield disctrict quest has a reference in the name of the disctrict that reminds as all of springfield....whats next?winterfield?

The 3 pirates at the Bargain of Blood marketplace (the first square you enter right after the start) resembles the 3 very important looking pirates from the Secret of Monkey Island I. Their lines are Monkey Islandish too, like there's no waitress (in MI1 the pirates pretty much service themselves w/grog).

While playing Extraplanar Mining, one the kobolds said "Get in mah barrel!" Sounds like a reference, but I don't know it.
    Madness....YESZ! THIS! IS! XORIAT!

Get in mah belly-

Character from the movie Austin Powers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_Bastard_(character)
    A PUG is like a box of chocolates
    Get people to read your post.

Quote Originally Posted by airavon View Post
    While playing Extraplanar Mining, one the kobolds said "Get in mah barrel!" Sounds like a reference, but I don't know it.
    That would be from Austin Powers' Fat Bas*** character, saying Get in Ma' Belly
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Last Friday night I saw a Kobold yelling in "Eyes Of Stone" that he wants to see the whole town burning - I called him "Nero-Kobold" for that ...

Did you get Felix's magical bags?

Felix d'Cannith

http://Felix the Cat
    Last edited by DanteEnFuego; 03-25-2012 at 08:17 PM.
    "The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves." Niccolò Machiavelli
    Thelanis: Arbix Completionist (23rd Life), ArbySoul, ArbyBarb, ArbyPriest, Arbificer etc.

I may have missed it but I don't think anyone has mentioned in Chronoscope the warforged hostage in the Phoenix Tavern is named Retcon, heh
    "Isn't sanity really just a one trick pony anyway? I mean all of you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh oooh oooh, the sky is the limit!" - The Tick
    Kalen - lvl 8 TR'd Artificer, Kallen - lvl 20 Rogue

Community Member

In the second part of Shan to Kor one of the Kobold slaves says, "Hobgob food is kobold! Is Koobooold!!!" this is a reference to the movie Soylent Green ("Soylent Green is people!"), adapted from Harry Harrison's book Make Room, Make Room.

Community Member

Sorry to follow one of my own posts with another, but in Prove Your Worth there is an iron defender called "Old Iron sides2, obviously he has iron sides but most US players will probably think it's named after USS Constitution.

The attitude of the Dungeon Master in "The Coalescence Chamber" towards the party is obviously an analogy of the attitude of the leader of a PUG to the rest of his/her group.

I don't know if that counts as an Easter egg though
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafeningWhisper View Post
    I agree with the feathered marsupial.

Quote Originally Posted by Domfig View Post
    The farshifter in Gianthold who returns you to marketplace is Vanyel.... The most powerful Herald-Mage ever in Valdemar history in the Valdemar herald books was called...Vanyel
    I dunno, it seems like just a coincidence. With most of the other references there's a clear pattern (80's metal or whatever), or the references are rooted in classic video games and RPGs (Xyzzy), or they're nerd-culture references (Pinky and the Brain, or Zero Wing).

I doubt a reference to a moderately obscure fantasy series is anything more than a coincidence. Although there is an Elspeth reference too. If there was a third one I'd be intrigued.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DanteEnFuego View Post
    Did you get Felix's magical bags?

Felix d'Cannith

http://Felix the Cat
    Oh man.nice one there.Hadn't noticed that.Felix 4ever
    Eleven Supernova's

Smile Manchester United Players

The quest givers in the House D Hammersmith Inn for the Depths series are loosley named after Manchester United Football players.

Giggs Elorreathi ---> Ryan Giggs
    Neville Stormhammer ---> Gary Neville
    Scholes of Vedykar ---> Paul Scholes
    Keane d'Deneith ---> Roy Keane

Cheers
    Booted from - ChaosKnights
    Juslim 15 lives Mechamystic 16 lives Babooshka 11 lives Vivisector 3 lives Erekose 3 lives Dies 1 life

Community Member Book_O_Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheDjinnFor View Post
    I dunno, it seems like just a coincidence. With most of the other references there's a clear pattern (80's metal or whatever), or the references are rooted in classic video games and RPGs (Xyzzy), or they're nerd-culture references (Pinky and the Brain, or Zero Wing).

I doubt a reference to a moderately obscure fantasy series is anything more than a coincidence. Although there is an Elspeth reference too. If there was a third one I'd be intrigued.
    I think its a coincedence; in the books Vanyel was pained by gate energies so having him teleport people would be really ironic.
    The worst problem on the DDO forums right now

Primary Server: Khyber ~~~ Officer in Knights of Kern

Probably someone already mentioned it, but monk's lvl 20 special finisher is named "shining star" and it's activated by the earth+wind+fire+finisher combo. Of course there's a song named "shining star" made by Earth Wind and Fire band
    Vetafer - Vetabat - Iolho - Celho - Finkbrau - Socmel
    Reinos Olvidados, Thelanis

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Texas - the most "MURICA!" part of 'murica! rawr

(Say) Kobold Scavenger says, 'These not the metal shinies you looking for!'

kobold jedi mind trick?

the official home of LOLWUT

LONG LIVE R.O.G.U.E ! Pay2Win AND PROUD
    Q: how do you get me to instantly appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question!

The mimic... if you play nethack or other rogue-likes you will certainly encounter one. It turns out in nethack when you meet one, you get the same exclamation as in Acute Delirium ("A mimic!") and when you destroy it, it may drop a Scroll of Yum Yum and yum-yum is just the words it speaks while devouring Belashyrra's scepter.

Default !

Quote Originally Posted by PadrePio View Post
    Probably someone already mentioned it, but monk's lvl 20 special finisher is named "shining star" and it's activated by the earth+wind+fire+finisher combo. Of course there's a song named "shining star" made by Earth Wind and Fire band
    Nice catch!

Unfortunately, no +1 for you since it is your fault that this song will now be stuck in my head all day.
    Bronies: For those who get it, no explanation is needed; for those who don't, none will do.

Probably a coincidence, but:

one of the Greensteel tier effects is called "BOLAS" (Balance of Land and Sky)

this is, as i learned during a recent hospital stay, also a medical term, though i think it is spelled somewhat differently
    The Funniest Thing I've Ever Read
    Toons: Twengor (pal), Margween (Bard/FTR/Rogue), Nestrana (wiz), Ammerlyn (Arti), Ostarin (Monk) on Cannith

Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast