Community Member

Default Need help with solo completionist plan.

Hi all.. I could use some advice regarding ideal "speed leveling builds" ..

I'm a high playtime player, but I play mostly solo and don't raid, so I've decided to aim for a completionist character as something to do with my time.
    Factoring in that my entire purpose is to hit 20 and then almost instantly TR (and mostly solo this whole thing)
    What builds would you use for the classes I have blank currently ?

Also what order would you TR in (ideally the fastest/easiest first) ?

Wizard : 17 Wiz/2 Rogue (Done)
    Artificer : 20 Arti (Done)

Barbarian : ?
    Bard : ?
    Cleric : ?
    Favored Soul : 20 WF Fvs (doing now)
    Fighter : ?
    Monk : ?
    Paladin : ?
    Ranger : ?
    Rogue : ?
    Sorcerer : ?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Vortis; 03-30-2012 at 06:23 AM.

I would look up "Diaries of a true reincarnate" by MrCow. He has detailed a lot of stuff about all of this, including Youtube videos for solo play. If you can find a post by him, his signature has it all nice and organized for you.

I could have sworn Samiusbot also documented some of his builds used on his path to completion (which may be partly out of date by now given how long ago he started) but I cant find them. I would message him and see what data he has saved up.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

Community Member

Thanks shall do..
    I had a look around the forums but most the tips I could find involve "equip your shroud crafted gear" which isn't an option for me.
    I'm looking for rapid solo leveling builds that don't require epic/raid twinking

I'll have a look at MrCow's stuff cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortis View Post
    Thanks shall do..
    I had a look around the forums but most the tips I could find involve "equip your shroud crafted gear" which isn't an option for me.
    I'm looking for rapid solo leveling builds that don't require epic/raid twinking

Its very worth while doing completionist. In the custom builds forum there was a hardcore build, sirgog mention about a 1barb/9arti/10 life you want build, which makes some boring classes tolerable. Spending time to get a lit2 repeater, toven rune arm, etc is alot prep work for all those lives, but long run makes leveling easier.

But if you just want to take the long route for each life, thats fine too.
    Fallout, Unforgiven, Skyline, Radient, Tenken, Sagat (first name not Bob).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
    Its very worth while doing completionist. In the custom builds forum there was a hardcore build, sirgog mention about a 1barb/9arti/10 life you want build, which makes some boring classes tolerable. Spending time to get a lit2 repeater, toven rune arm, etc is alot prep work for all those lives, but long run makes leveling easier.

But if you just want to take the long route for each life, thats fine too.
    Yeah, basically...I'd take at least half your levels in a class that you really like and are geared out for, then shuffle in your TR classes around it. A little extreme, but you could go 12 <Comfortable Class> / 8 <TR Class> then LR +3 at 20.

I'm doing something like that for Monk...which is going to hurt for my Barbarian TR because of alignment restrictions...

If you are looking for "easy" then I assume you are not concerned with fully experiencing the TR class as a whole.

My advice therefore is:

20wiz
    20sorc
    *both WF for selfhealing*

All other classes are human:
    6 monk(shintao) / 6 ranger(tempest) / 8 TR class

6 monk(shintao) gives you evasion, 3 martial feats, ki-based self healing, and fast movement.
    6 ranger(tempest) gives you TWF/ITWF, many shot, 2 FE's, and 70% offhand strikes after six class levels. You could substitute rogue for ranger if you prefer the additional xp bonuses for disable, open locks etc...

Where alignment issues won't let you play monk + your TR class (like Barb) then substitute in rogue (for evasion/umd) or fighter (for feats) for the monk levels.

level progression is the same
    1-3 monk
    4-9 ranger
    10-12 monk
    13-20 TR class

Enhancement wise you will want all the available human and monk healing amp (along with a DT outfit with 10% HA, and 20% HA)

Community Member

Thanks, those ideas for the "less" fun classes are great.. didn't think about doing that

I love arti so an arti/TR class is definitely an option for some of my lives.
    Like the sound of the monk/range/TR too. Will give that a shot too.

Thanks, those ideas for the "less" fun classes are great.. didn't think about doing that

I love arti so an arti/TR class is definitely an option for some of my lives.
    Like the sound of the monk/range/TR too. Will give that a shot too.
    The greatest advantage with arti build is you can do traps for xp. The monk/ranger combo you can't unless you are doing a rogue/ arti tr. if you plan to solo a lot then being able to do traps, umd heal or repair is a big factor.
    Fallout, Unforgiven, Skyline, Radient, Tenken, Sagat (first name not Bob).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by rimble View Post
    Yeah, basically...I'd take at least half your levels in a class that you really like and are geared out for, then shuffle in your TR classes around it. A little extreme, but you could go 12 <Comfortable Class> / 8 <TR Class> then LR +3 at 20.

I'm doing something like that for Monk...which is going to hurt for my Barbarian TR because of alignment restrictions...
    Kind of exploiting/cheating the system, but I am sure Turbine will love all the money you will spend on hearts of wood.
    Don't talk to me about realism, you're posting in a fantasy role-playing game forum.

Community Member

Thanks shall do..

It's not insurmountable to manage one or two shroud items, and they will be reusable across most if not all of your "lives" depending on how you go. You might even enjoy being in one of the less raid-intensive guilds, if only to have someone to chat with and not have to PUG your shrouds. My guild (level 58, at least a dozen multiple-TRs/20s) runs a lot of shrouds on a casual basis but most of the time people are soloing, duoing or short-grouping. In the last 2 months I have been in just two groups that have had non-guild members. There is also a lot of altoholism including myself
    Don't talk to me about realism, you're posting in a fantasy role-playing game forum.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Komitulek View Post
    Kind of exploiting/cheating the system, but I am sure Turbine will love all the money you will spend on hearts of wood.
    LR +3 Hearts can be (and were) purchased from other players. Of course there are the TR Hearts, which I buy when they're cheap. Regardless, I don't feel bad for supporting DDO.

Most certainly nothing exploity/cheaty about it, that's for sure.
    Last edited by rimble; 02-24-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Community Member

It is, to a degree, exploiting the system to play a toon with the same 12 levels over and over, then dragging through the classes you need for completionist but wouldn't play for any other reason and using the LR mechanism to make it count as a main class for TR. Do you honestly believe the devs intended for you to be able to do this? If you do, you're deluding yourself.

As far as obtaining LHOWs, if you've managed to find and buy sufficient dropped ones, great. I certainly don't make that much plat. Not an option a large percentage of the user base will get either, since the more people who do it, the smaller the supply will get and the higher the price, unless they increase the drop rate.

And before you get the idea that I don't support the idea of Turbine making money, I both pay a sub and buy things from the store. Partly for my own reasons, and because I want to see this game continue, despite its warts and scars.

This is my plan:
    Rogue
    Barbarian
    Monk
    Paladin
    Fighter
    Ranger
    Artificer
    Wizard
    Cleric
    Favored Soul
    Sorcerer
    Bard

I did rogue first cause I had a gimpy rogue close to 20 when TR came out.
    I'm not doing the "cheating" method and I'm choosing a build so that I can learn about the classes as I go. I did the melee classes first because I felt they would be easier to work with not having a lot of equipment. The barb +10 hp is welcome to any build, and the active pastlife feat replaces toughness feat and includes a rage. The monk increases damage for the remaining melee builds. Paladin increases healing amp. Ranger before artificer for +2 damage. Wiz for spell pen for all casters. FVS for more spell pen and sp. Everything else fell in place because I quad box, so I had to arrange things with my other three characters so they work well together.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarkin View Post
    All other classes are human:
    6 monk(shintao) / 6 ranger(tempest) / 8 TR class

6 monk(shintao) gives you evasion, 3 martial feats, ki-based self healing, and fast movement.
    6 ranger(tempest) gives you TWF/ITWF, many shot, 2 FE's, and 70% offhand strikes after six class levels. You could substitute rogue for ranger if you prefer the additional xp bonuses for disable, open locks etc...

Where alignment issues won't let you play monk + your TR class (like Barb) then substitute in rogue (for evasion/umd) or fighter (for feats) for the monk levels.

level progression is the same
    1-3 monk
    4-9 ranger
    10-12 monk
    13-20 TR class

Enhancement wise you will want all the available human and monk healing amp (along with a DT outfit with 10% HA, and 20% HA)
    Interesting idea. Would you use wraps for this or what? I know wraps are good DPS at end-game, but at level 12 can any wraps compare to lit II's?

Actually, with that split, you don't even have to use hearts of wood to LR to get your PLF.

A better description from the wiki:

Code:
    You gain the Past Life of your dominant class (i.e., the class that is shown 
    as your character's class icon in parties), which is determined by the class 
    you have the most levels of. In the case of a tie, the dominant class is the 
    highest on this list:

1. Barbarian
    2. Bard
    3. Cleric
    4. Fighter
    5. Paladin
    6. Ranger
    7. Rogue
    8. Sorcerer
    9. Wizard
    10. Monk
    11. Favored Soul
    12. Artificer
    So, yes. Being able to TR with at little as 8 character levels in a class is intended.
    Aeolwind (5/12) - 18 Sorc/1 Art | Melisandria - 20 Fighter SD | Anlona - 20 cleric RS

Community Member

It is, to a degree, exploiting the system to play a toon with the same 12 levels over and over, then dragging through the classes you need for completionist but wouldn't play for any other reason and using the LR mechanism to make it count as a main class for TR. Do you honestly believe the devs intended for you to be able to do this? If you do, you're deluding yourself.
    Nope, it's still not, not to any degree. Your bizarre purist opinion has no grounding in existing game systems. You may WANT people to have to play a pure 20 levels of a class to get the TR benefits of it, but those aren't the rules.

As far as obtaining LHOWs, if you've managed to find and buy sufficient dropped ones, great. I certainly don't make that much plat. Not an option a large percentage of the user base will get either, since the more people who do it, the smaller the supply will get and the higher the price, unless they increase the drop rate.
    I said it was 'a bit extreme', that seemed like a fair qualifier. Just offering another option, the player can choose what suits them.

And before you get the idea that I don't support the idea of Turbine making money, I both pay a sub and buy things from the store. Partly for my own reasons, and because I want to see this game continue, despite its warts and scars.
    Good, stop chargin' at people pointlessly on the forums while you're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicMew View Post
    Interesting idea. Would you use wraps for this or what? I know wraps are good DPS at end-game, but at level 12 can any wraps compare to lit II's?
    Yes, if you want to take advantage of the ki-based self healing you are using handwraps (and probably garments around that lvl). And... no, at level 12 handwraps are not going to compare in the same ballpark as Lit II's. Basically you are using the monk for attack speed, run speed, extra feats, and ki self healing. You could easily just go with rogue instead and get trap abilities, haste boost, and UMD then go with something like Lit II scimmies. With the rogue method you are much more reliant on past life silver flame pot stashes as you won't likely have the UMD to use heal scrolls until around lvl 18 (give or take). If you are looking to be more self sufficient or primarily solo I'd go with monk, if you group or have a healing capable TR partner/party then the rogue side stands out.

Someone posted a 'fastest tr' I think in the achievments forum a while back.

They were duoing it, and did a full 3rd+ life tr in under 3 days.

The main plan was every life as a wf 11 caster/1 rogue/8 whatever class was current, and doing the +3 heart thing at the end.

Lots of buffs, self healing, aoe spells and haste, and if you build as a melee can still do a good job with divine power say - and a lot easier to gear up than getting high level rune arms - that you can only use at level 19 anyway.

Without using lesser +3 hearts all the time, even 9 wiz/1 rogue/10 whatever else will be pretty effective.