Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default let's tone down some of the hostility towards the devs.

i, too, was a victim of the Pre-Release Fiasco of '12, as im sure many of you were.

but, i see a lot of resentment towards the developers, which, while understandable, is a bit unreasonable.

yes, we paid a lot of money for the new expansion, and yes, some features promised to us were borked/not delivered, but i have full faith that the issue will be resolved as quickly as possible.

we have the opportunity to be a part of the game where we can know on a more personal level some of our devs, they communicate to us very often, sometimes even pour their heart out to us (remember bodog's final post?).

im not trying to get too emotional and fuzzy and ****, im just saying, they're gonna fix it, they always do (unless it's an ingredients bag in a shared bank or greensteel in an abbot's stomach), and let's realize that this is the first part of their 'big release' thing they've been working up to, they certainly WANT this to be handled quickly.

im sure many out there will still be angry, but remember- it's just a game! we put 30, 50, 80, 140 bucks into this game today and maybe feel a little screwed over but, did we really? we don't get to play druids until june, we dont get to go to underdark till june, we dont get most of what we paid for till... june. i can wait a couple days to get my xp tome. i wasnt complaining about not having one yesterday.
    Soturi . Ghallanda Rerolled
    [7/18/2012 12:22:24 AM] D. H.: i mean, i'm not as experienced as, say, a vegas hooker, but i can confidently say that you're a lot more aggressive than like 90% of the guys i've been with.

Community Member

Hey, here's an idea; the devs should have had this release running right before going live. When you let people perform badly and reward them for it, what do you get? More poor performance. Stop being nice. Hold their feet to the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by rayworks View Post
    Hey, here's an idea; the devs should have had this release running right before going live. When you let people perform badly and reward them for it, what do you get? More poor performance. Stop being nice. Hold their feet to the fire.
    because im sure all week at work they were like 'something in this code looks funny, but it will probably be aiight. pass me the cheetos, Maj! i almost got my Death Knight to level 65.'

somehow i doubt they could have forseen whatever caused... this.
    [7/18/2012 12:22:24 AM] D. H.: i mean, i'm not as experienced as, say, a vegas hooker, but i can confidently say that you're a lot more aggressive than like 90% of the guys i've been with.

Default Uhm

Quote Originally Posted by rayworks View Post
    I got the expansion and so far everything is delivered as promised. All my alts get the proper items. What i often see is people not paying attention to where stuff goes or how to access it. Read the FAQ and ask around the Devs did a good job with this one.
    ashlick , bizkit, boobooface, breeewind, breunorson, crystalin, dreamless, drunkenorc, earthborn, elation, elazibeth, firesavant, ftwjust, gabrrielle, hiting, idelisa, inactive,jessamyne, keeblerorc,keighra, killia, layniebug, lmyc, mealltach, nicholete, ravinclaws, sapphiire, tairrdelbach, teenny

Quote Originally Posted by Elation View Post
    I got the expansion and so far everything is delivered as promised. All my alts get the proper items. What i often see is people not paying attention to where stuff goes or how to access it. Read the FAQ and ask around the Devs did a good job with this one.
    that's not the case here, there's a legit bug causing people to not have access to their items. happened to me, cordovan says they're working on it.

Community Member
    3rd star from the left, and on til morning...

I think, all in all, they're doing a pretty decent job. And I've noticed Turbine's service improve even more in the recent past than it had been before.

Nothing is perfect, and remember, the "Devs" don't get to make the decisions, they only have to meet the promises others make.

YOU try being a developer/programmer in a large environment. Trust me, you will have plenty to think about.

I think the devs have made a great job, I just want some clarification on a number of points.

Which should be the responsibility of the community team.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanadeus View Post
    I think the devs have made a great job, I just want some clarification on a number of points.

Which should be the responsibility of the community team.
    they've been communicating, they just havent been saying much. just gathering information. i get the impression they may not yet know what CAUSED the bug in the first place, or want to give us some info besides what caused it, like, for example, 'we know how to fix it' and a time frame.

Bought the 80 dollar expansion - tried to get my tome, figurine, and 3 companions, used the ticket, got nothing - no new items in inventory, nothing in buy back tab, ticket is gone (i still have the translucent graphic of it in my hotbar that shows it was there at one point)

This is a known issue? Please link where its posted, cant find it.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member

I'm sorry, I just spent $80 and didn't get anything I was promised. That is not even remotely acceptable.

Anyone on Thelanis want to start a betting pool on how long it takes to fix this mess?

I say 1 month.

Do you think your post will calm down many of the people who are upset?

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    yes im much more calmer now

Quote Originally Posted by ainmosni View Post
    i, too, was a victim of the Pre-Release Fiasco of '12, as im sure many of you were.

but, i see a lot of resentment towards the developers, which, while understandable, is a bit unreasonable.

yes, we paid a lot of money for the new expansion, and yes, some features promised to us were borked/not delivered, but i have full faith that the issue will be resolved as quickly as possible.

we have the opportunity to be a part of the game where we can know on a more personal level some of our devs, they communicate to us very often, sometimes even pour their heart out to us (remember bodog's final post?).

im not trying to get too emotional and fuzzy and ****, im just saying, they're gonna fix it, they always do (unless it's an ingredients bag in a shared bank or greensteel in an abbot's stomach), and let's realize that this is the first part of their 'big release' thing they've been working up to, they certainly WANT this to be handled quickly.

im sure many out there will still be angry, but remember- it's just a game! we put 30, 50, 80, 140 bucks into this game today and maybe feel a little screwed over but, did we really? we don't get to play druids until june, we dont get to go to underdark till june, we dont get most of what we paid for till... june. i can wait a couple days to get my xp tome. i wasnt complaining about not having one yesterday.
    Its just a game, right up to and until they advertise products, have people pay for them, and then do not deliver the product.

Oh, I bet the system that charges my credit card works just fine. But the system they put in place to get me the items I am supposed to receive for the money I paid is screwed up.

The stuff that we dont get til june is advertised that we dont get it til june. The stuff that was advertised that we get today, we dont get today, but they got my money today. Go figure.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Purgatory View Post
    yes im much more calmer now
    ok cool, so its a positive outcome? much better for you health for example? less stress and all.

Don't worry be happy.......................... ok spend some moar $ too while you busy being happy.

Community Member

I'm let down here, I am. I can understand why so many people are raging, hell I must have sent in like five or six bug reports, I even ended one with "Step 5: Die a little inside because DDO hates me today". They should have done more testing, this was their big shot to prove that DDO is a solid investment, that the expansion will go smoothly and that this is a game worth investing in, a game on par with the P2Ps out there.

They bunked it.

But I've got a couple friends who do code, I work design for games and I've seen how my ideas as a designer are sometimes insanely difficult to implement into a program. Some things are unforeseeable. They should have done more testing on this, that is most certain. With such a widespread bug I'm shocked that they didn't find it earlier.

But they have done a pretty good job of saying they are working on it. I doubt they know yet what happened, but when they do they'll fix it. They screwed the pooch on this release, but I'm still really excited to see what comes of the expansion and hopefully they can get my my tomes and animals and whatnot soon.

TL;DR= They messed up here, they should have done more testing. But they are working on getting it done and I'm willing to give them some time to straighten it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Bought the 80 dollar expansion - tried to get my tome, figurine, and 3 companions, used the ticket, got nothing - no new items in inventory, nothing in buy back tab, ticket is gone (i still have the translucent graphic of it in my hotbar that shows it was there at one point)

This is a known issue? Please link where its posted, cant find it.
    If you really didn't receive a substantial portion of the items you purchased after following the correct steps I would recommend calling your credit card company and putting a stop payment on the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    maybe. sometimes it takes something simple to get people to think more reasonably.

It's more the managers and executives pushing things out when they're nowhere near ready.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarisa View Post
    It's more the managers and executives pushing things out when they're nowhere near ready.
    Very much this. We should tone down the hostility that is often directed at the programmers and QA staff and direct it where it belongs.

Fernando.

Management decides on the pace of releases. Management makes the final go/no go decisions on releases. Management decides on whether to allow a cushion at the end of a release cycle to deal with critical bugs. Management decides what the priorities are (time spent fixing bugs vs. time spent adding new code vs. time spent stabilizing the code base vs. time spent improving the source code management/versioning, etc.).

This is not MadFloyd's fault. This is not MajMal's fault. This is not even Tolero's and Cordovan's faults. This is the fault of the people who decide that it's okay to make the developers continue to mess with code right up until the last minute so that things get released without the kind of testing that they need because the kind of time needed to test that "final" release is never available.

I was wondering why they moved away from micro-payments and faux currencies anyway. If you pay 500 TP and get nothing, it takes a lot of mental math to figure out how much that is really worth, and it turns out to not be worth very much anyway. If you pay $80 and get nothing... no math required.

I suppose they may have believed that they wouldn't have this kind of live bug where they literally robbed people of $80+, but that would be a pretty silly belief given their recent track record.

I guess we'll see how it goes.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast