Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Happy Birthday, DDO!

Hi Everyone–

As promised, I’m back to tell you more about that “big news” I mentioned in January. Now if you’re just joining the party, we announced that DDO is getting its very first expansion pack, Menace of the Underdark. Today I’m happy to announce that Menace of the Underdark will launch on June 25th! That’s right! We have the start of an all new major story line which will take us for the first time into the Forgotten Realms, we are raising the level cap into epic levels all the way to 25 and we are introducing the Druid class! And it’s all just four months away!

Before I get too distracted by all the expansion goodness I wanted to take a moment to say ‘Happy Birthday, DDO!’ It’s the 6th birthday for our game, and you are all invited to join the party! We know many good friends from DDO past and present will be by to celebrate, so we have arranged for all existing characters in DDO to get their very own slice of Six Year Old Cake. While that may not sound so tasty, there is a Djinni who will gladly take that cake off of your hands and grant you a “wish” in exchange – so long as that wish involves choosing one of the great prizes in his list including your choice of +2 ability tomes. So enjoy those cake slices and remind your friends to come get theirs as well. Now as cool as it is to get a magical wish-granting Djinni, there’s something else even cooler that’s starting today – our journey to the Forgotten Realms!

It all begins with Update 13: Web of Chaos which is available starting today! These free quests begin to unfold the series of events that will connect our Eberron world to Faerûn. Personally, I just can’t get enough of the final quest – I love the ending, but I won’t spoil it for you. You’ll just have to face the danger of the battle with the Spinner of Shadows and see it for yourself. We’ll also be starting bonus events from now until expansion to help players get their characters ready for the high level content, so watch for the announcements – the bonuses will get bigger and bigger the closer we get to launch day!

Today is also the start of our Menace of the Underdark pre-purchase program. That means you can buy the expansion starting today! Check out our Menace of the Underdark page to see the options available to players who pre-purchase the expansion. The bundles are designed for all types of players, from the casual player to the long-time DDO vet. We’ve even made some big features like the Druid class included with the VIP plan, so players who choose to subscribe can use them even if they don’t choose to buy the full expansion right away. I encourage you to check out our new MotU bundles FAQ which we’ve created to help cover questions you have about the pre-purchase offers.

My favorite thing about these pre-purchase bundles is that they all come loaded with cool stuff that you can use right away on your live characters! No waiting all the way until June to use those Tomes of Learning or play with your new Creature Companions! For those of us who love to True Reincarnate, the new XP tomes will be especially handy and (and they thankfully persist through TR , as all tomes will now do with the launch of U13).

We hope you will all enjoy collecting Creature Companions in our new cosmetic pet system. I’ll admit it: I was a little skeptical at first. But I was won over when I saw how cute and fun the creatures were that our artists started to make based on our myriad of existing D&D creatures. The first three are exclusively available through our pre-purchase program. It’s so hard to pick a favorite from these. I love the Wolf pup and I think he looks great with the collar. But I also get a kick out of telling my Underdark Spiderling to play dead - it’s like cathartic pay back for all those spider ambushes I’ve endured in my DDO adventures over the years. We’ll have tons of other pets available by the end of the year, but remember: if you love the Demonweb Spiderling, the Druid’s Wolf Pup, and the Onyx Panther Cub make sure that you pick up the expansion before June 24th, because these particular Companions are exclusive and won’t be in the store once pre-purchase ends!

There is so much great stuff coming with Menace of the Underdark that I can’t possibly cover it all here. In addition to the premium features we’ve already discussed, there will be a large number of technology upgrades, system updates and bug fixes which will improve the game experience for all of our players. For example, we are completely overhauling our enhancement system and filling out the PrEs for all classes! There will also be significant changes to help performance and reduce lag. We are releasing a lot of new information today, and we have plans for many more dev diaries and articles which will be posted in the coming months. Keep your eyes on DDO.com and the forums for more information.

Another important thing we are announcing today is that Update 14 will be coming this August! Just two months after Menace of the Underdark goes live, we are planning to release our first premium Forgotten Realms adventure pack. It introduces an all new story line and our second Epic level raid in the game. It’s a bit early to go into details on what will be in Update 14 and beyond, but I will plan another letter for the second half of the year to highlight more about what’s coming for your favorite MMO.

For anyone who prefers to buy Menace of the Underdark features a la carte using Turbine Points, these will be available for purchase in the DDO Store in August once Update 14 launches. To help you better decide how you will buy the expansion, we are announcing the U14 DDO Store prices today. Click here to read more. I can’t stress enough though that if you like the exclusives and bonus features we are announcing today, the only way to be sure you can get them is to pre-purchase by June 24th. The pre-purchase bundles are definitely going to be some of the best deals we will offer on the expansion.

In closing, I just want to say how excited we are to be working on this game and to get the opportunity to bring Forgotten Realms to life for our players. The support of our fans keeps us reaching for bigger and better things for DDO. We have been so gratified to see your excitement about our plans and we are working hard to make sure we deliver the biggest and best release in DDO’s history.

Thanks to all of our players for being a part of our game, and we’ll see you in Faerûn!
    -Fernando

Default First read! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
    In addition to the premium features we’ve already discussed, there will be a large number of technology upgrades, system updates and bug fixes which will improve the game experience for all of our players. For example, we are completely overhauling our enhancement system and filling out the PrEs for all classes! There will also be significant changes to help performance and reduce lag. We are releasing a lot of new information today, and we have plans for many more dev diaries and articles which will be posted in the coming months. Keep your eyes on DDO.com and the forums for more information.
    My favourite part!

Dear Fernando can we have some hints on how epic enhancements will work?

Do we need only the epic destinies pack to get them?

Thanks!
    How to revamp past life reward system <--- working again
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.
    Developers should fix this

All tomes persist through TR now? SWEET!

Thanks for the cool announcements!
    "Swords will cut you wide open!" - Trip Fisk

Menace comes June 25th but Update 14 is in August? The expansion isn't an update? So are Druids with the expansion or with the update?

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arminius View Post
    Menace comes June 25th but Update 14 is in August? The expansion isn't an update? So are Druids with the expansion or with the update?
    Menace is an expansion and has been stated all over the forums, that is the release of druids.

U14 is completely separate from that accept apparently it will deal more with FR.

Community Member

I'd like to know why there is no pre-order package well-suited to VIPs and veteran premium players who want all the new content, such as the greater tome and the companions, without having to double pay for content we've already spent money to purchase or unlock.

Some of us have spent hundreds of dollars supporting Turbine, and it would be nice if we had an option that didn't force us to choose between foregoing the pre-order goodies, or paying a lot of extra money for items we already have.

Community Member

Exclamation

Aye im a bit confused about this all too.

From what i am getting from reading the pages about the expantion, it looks like you have to buy it like it was a seprate game, (Even ViP's; So much for years of paying 14.99$ a mo) But yet Vip's get the druid classand a challange free? No offence to DDO (we'll maybe a little) Your nuts, im not buying the expantion. i've put way too much real money into the game already as a vip for the last 4 years? Not including the times i've bought some ddo points. So that is like totally 900$+ In reflextion maybe i should go F2P. So much for customer loyalty eh? ViP's should be getting this all for free includeding the Exclusive pets. well at least one's that have been here for a while. >=(

Thumbs down Really !! What are you thinking??

" Menace of the Underdark will launch on June 25th "
    " For anyone who prefers to buy Menace of the Underdark features a la carte using Turbine Points, these will be available for purchase in the DDO Store in August once Update 14 launches. "

For all of the updates, Prem. accounts don't get to use their points for the first days(3) during a new update. This expansion is going to make a premium person wait almost 2 months to play the new material.

I can see them not opening points expansion purchase for a week or even 2 weeks, but 2 months; really??

Seems like DDO is putting a gun to Prem. players heads.... give us your cash or don't play with your guildies or friends for 2 months.

So I guess if we don't buy($ cash $) the expansion, then we can tell all our guildies... " see you in the fall ".

Guess that is one way to solve the lag problem.
    Last edited by Stubby_Stonebeard; 02-27-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Community Member

Default Retirement

Appears I will be looking for a new game ohhhh, around June 25th. I bought damned near every expansion when I played Ever Quest, not going to do that here. And even if I could buy the release with Turbine points, I will not do it. Like other Premium account players, I have spent enough real $$$$$ to play the game, which I enjoy, but not much chance I am going to pay for my subscription, as we as buy points AND have to buy new releases. I can see this being normal procedure from here on out. I can appreciate making money, I know DDO is a cash cow, but this teat has run dry.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shanzookie View Post
    Aye im a bit confused about this all too.

From what i am getting from reading the pages about the expantion, it looks like you have to buy it like it was a seprate game, (Even ViP's; So much for years of paying 14.99$ a mo) But yet Vip's get the druid classand a challange free? No offence to DDO (we'll maybe a little) Your nuts, im not buying the expantion. i've put way too much real money into the game already as a vip for the last 4 years? Not including the times i've bought some ddo points. So that is like totally 900$+ In reflextion maybe i should go F2P. So much for customer loyalty eh? ViP's should be getting this all for free includeding the Exclusive pets. well at least one's that have been here for a while. >=(
    Remember for 6 years the developers have not asked for money for updates (13 so far), in contrast to WOW which asks you to purchase each expansion individually. Everything so far has been included in the 14.99 price. I think they have been more than generous by providing this free, expanded content.
    Last edited by Galster; 02-27-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Question pre-purchase items clarification needed

Thanks Fernando. Happy Birthday DDO!

I need more info than the FAQ provides:

What is a Figurine of Wondrous Power and what does it do? How many uses, bound or not, etc., how many characters get them, etc. Saw on another thread where people were talking about them being like hirelings. Do they take up a space in the party? Can you have it up and a non-gold seal hireling? Can you have it up and a summon? And an artificer pet? What are its stats?

What do the tomes do?

What do the masks do, how many characters get them, etc.

Companions aren't actually explained all in one place this way but it sounds like: You get the companions on an account-wide basis. DDO store companions will be server-wide. Is that all correct? What ARE companions? Do they prevent hireling summons, spell summons, artificer dog companion summons, etc.?

What packs are in the DDO Epic Classics Adventure Pack bundle & DDO Classics Adventure Pack bundle?

There's a lot of vagueness surrounding what all the new stuff is, and that's lack of detail is holding me back from buying.

Thanks for any clarity you can provide.

Another important thing we are announcing today is that Update 14 will be coming this August! Just two months after Menace of the Underdark goes live, we are planning to release our first premium Forgotten Realms adventure pack. It introduces an all new story line and our second Epic level raid in the game. It’s a bit early to go into details on what will be in Update 14 and beyond, but I will plan another letter for the second half of the year to highlight more about what’s coming for your favorite MMO.
    What i'm interested in is if we buy the exspansion pack now will U14 be a free update to who ever buys it? Or will it be another paid exspansion, because if all the updates from now on are "Exspansions" and have to be paid for that will be a sad day in this games history. Now that being said i don't mind paying for an exspansion pack with all the added bonus's but like I said if it's on a continual basis then i say good luck getting people to buy into that one(every pun intended). If you would be so kind Fernando to clearify this. Thanks.

The sleeper has awakened

Krakonos The Ancient One Guild leader of Guardians of the Game Khyber

KrakenHeads(L20 WF THF) Ftr, KrakenSkulzz(L20 WF TWF), KrakenKills(L24 Drow Assisin), Spydraxis, KrakenSouls(L25 Human Fvs), KrakenHealz(L24 Human Cleric), KrakenTunes(L18 Drow Bard/Crafter A150/D150/E150)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galster View Post
    Remember for 6 years the developers have not asked for money for updates (13 so far), such as WOW. Everything so far has been included in the 14.99 price. I think they have been more than generous by providing this free, expanded content.

I totally disagree and so do most so you are very much a minority. If you enjoyed playing for updates go back to WOW. as you can see no one so far is looking forward to blowing "Extra" money on a expantion when we (ViP's especially) have made ddo and turbine Rich! Actually from your comment you sound like a Turbin Rep under some misc account to try to derail the complaints. Pfft. And further,
    Remember for 6 years the developers have not asked for money for updates (13 so far), such as WOW. Everything so far has been included in the 14.99 price.
    isn't that asking for money? Or at least actually "Getting" money for the content?

Community Member

The only thing I've noticed is the included items that are part of the pre-purchase editions may have already been purchased through the DDO store (i.e. the vetrans status (level 4)). Is there anyway to interchange these included items for items we haven't purchased, such as Vetrans status (level 7)? I've been a long term subscriber, so the DDO classics adventure pack bundle is basically useless to me. I don't really see the point in pre-ordering anything, since it is a waste of money for items that I currently have.

SO if I got this right, there will be no updates for 4 months.

SIGH

Quote Originally Posted by Phesic View Post
    I think a good term is "Nuber": A Newb who thinks he's uber.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Perceval View Post
    SO if I got this right, there will be no updates for 4 months.

SIGH
    Beats the hell out of NOTHING for two years.

Also, we should be getting a few bug fix patches during those 4 months. If Major is any indication... as little as 4, as many as 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Galster View Post
    The only thing I've noticed is the included items that are part of the pre-purchase editions may have already been purchased through the DDO store (i.e. the vetrans status (level 4)). Is there anyway to interchange these included items for items we haven't purchased, such as Vetrans status (level 7)? I've been a long term subscriber, so the DDO classics adventure pack bundle is basically useless to me. I don't really see the point in pre-ordering anything, since it is a waste of money for items that I currently have.
    I feel the same way. If Turbine offered substitution options so that I wouldn't purchase things I've already purchased, I would definitely be grabbing that $80 package right away!
    "Swords will cut you wide open!" - Trip Fisk

Community Member EustaceTrevelyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    I'd like to know why there is no pre-order package well-suited to VIPs and veteran premium players who want all the new content, such as the greater tome and the companions, without having to double pay for content we've already spent money to purchase or unlock.

Some of us have spent hundreds of dollars supporting Turbine, and it would be nice if we had an option that didn't force us to choose between foregoing the pre-order goodies, or paying a lot of extra money for items we already have.
    /this

W.t. heck is my reaction. Love the collector goodies, but feel like a sucker having to pay again for so much content. Why couldn't there just be pack bundles available with purchase of collector's? Having said that, I've never seen a collector version cost less than an extra $30 bucks, and expansions usually are going to cost 40-50 when they are this major (more levels, forgotten worlds AND the class that's been at the top of wishlists forever.)

So really, maybe they would've had the collector be 70 bucks w/o the packs, but there's no way it would be less.

Default My thought as well

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post

First, I will say the new content looks good, and I am looking forward to improvent in game operation. Having said this, I also agree that there doesn't appear to be any accounting for the difference between VIP, Premium, and F2P. Anybody can drop their money and get all of the content, which to me doesn't seem fair to VIP. We pay a set amount for something, but what is our benefit, as VIP for this expansion. Perhaps, if nothing else, Turbine could offer us TP equivalent to thecost of what we get as part of VIP. (By my math, this is almost 2200 points.)
    Last edited by Amberyll; 02-27-2012 at 09:55 PM.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
    Thanks to all of our players for being a part of our game, and we’ll see you in Faerûn!
    -Fernando
    Woot and thank you, I am very happy with my limited edition package.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast