Community Member

Unhappy what's wrong with cannith raid pugs lately?

I wonder.

What's wrong with people running HoX? I know it's the most wipe-able pug raid but c'mon. My 2 of 3 last HoX's were wipes, because we had newbies in party and leaders didn't care to explain what to do, or people thougth they can pike in middle after dogs are charmed. I had to host a HoX raid and spam /p chat asking if anyone is new to this so I can explain what to do, but still we had problems with beholder trash dispelling dogs.

Hard VoD? You think it's good time for leader to ask who can tank,just before we step into quest? And why does dps neglect trash alert SCREAMED into /p by healers?
    dps:I dps sally so we will finish faster,
    healer: get trash off me!,
    dps:wut?
    healer: after kiting for eternity, ding!
    dps: nab hjeals, cant hjeal. ding!

But last night I had the most depressing experience with cannith pugs.
    Elite Tempest Spine. Around 3-4 TR's, including me. Some melee dps, 2 clerics, wiz, sorc, bard. Party seemed OK. Before everyone steps into the quest, someone starts to running through fire eles. Party seperates, someone is lost, no biggie, I step out to navigate the person.

All things go smoothly, fire and ice a bit roughly done, then party starts to fall apart. At this point leader is mute, doesn't help with directions for newbies (yes, we had few 1st timers, at this point I realised that), people get lost, die. Few people run ahead and pretty much clear whole quest while rest tries to catch up. TR'd barb constantly asks for heals and haste while he zergs with us while other TR rogue and me burn through hp and haste pots.

After a while, we make it to last boss. Clerics didn't prepare FoM. No biggie, puzzle is done quite fast, but where are the runes?! Guy who was supposed to do them is blown from the ledge... clerics can't even heal themselves, said barb floods chat for runes/heals/rezz, people die, total chaos, I try to grab as many stones and shrine them. At this point only rogue, myself and lost wiz are alive. We try to dps and sorjeck gets to around 1/2 hp when, again, all but me and rogue, are dead, barb screaming for rezz and stupid 'rune guy'... wipe inevitable...

At this point I engage into /ragemode fueled by few beers that I drank that night.
    I say some heavy words, for which I am sorry. Very mature to rage at people in the internet, I know...
    I mute some dumb people, for which I am NOT sorry.
    I go afk just to see how, 1 by 1 people are releasing and leaving party.
    Over one hour of elite TS and wipe.

I wonder how,
    I wonder why...

Just bad luck, really.
    I recently was thinking quite the opposite. Mind you, the other day I joined a ToD hard and it went as smooth as a guild run. Sure, sometimes things could go wrong, but I didnt notice a thread, but I've noted a general improve on pugs after I come back to the game after a couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by enearh View Post
    You think it's good time for leader to ask who can tank,just before we step into quest?
    Better ask it after entering?
    How to revamp past life reward system <--- working again
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.
    Developers should fix this

Whats wrong?
    I can tell you that!

It seems some peeps in cannith do you a favor when they get you into their group!

With LFMs like:
    - "hEAVY dPS!!" when only barbs and fighters are selected, even for quests like reaver and hox.
    - "Hjeals!!" when 3 are in the group.
    - "NO NOOBS!! KNOW IT!! NEED GUIDE!!"
    And more...

People who join those kind of LFMs are puggers who already wiped 5 time before and wanna try their luck again, puggers who got declined from other groups becasue of thier skills and puggers who same minded know-it-alls.

People can put their idiotic LFM as much as they want, just dont wonder why they wipe/never filled (Like that casters shroud I saw 2 weeks ago with no clerics selected...)

And I didnt mention the number of ignorers... I mean, you can /tell "sorry, I dont need your role" or "full, sry".

So yeah.. it seems we get more and more jerks here in Cannith... But why do I bother ranting?... I guess those people dont visit the forums anyway...
    Last edited by MiahooJunk; 02-18-2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: typos
    Server: Cannith
    Mains: Miahoo, Miahoorog

Community Member

I LOVE cannith PUGs. I'm not a member of a large raiding guild or a chat channel where raids are formed so I do everything on cannith via the lfm tab. I've never met someone that I didn't enjoy questing with on the server.

Don't mind me but it seems that even though your groups have failed you have also failed your groups. Whenever something fails in a group that I've been in I always look first at myself to see if there was something I could have done differently to avoid that failure. Do you know how many times I've thought..... wow! I did everything possible that could have contributed to sucess and we still failed.... ZERO! That is right every wipe that I've ever been a part of was a least partly MY fault.

The "leader" sometimes is nothing more than a player who needed help to complete a quest (had an epic chronoscope where I am fairly certain it was the first epic quest the party leader had ever done). I'm not saying to micromanage party members or anything but often a subtile suggestion or question will prod people in the right direction. "who is passing FoM, who is tanking, I still don't have DW etc...

edit://

LOL miahoo we used the same example of that raid leader in our posts. Also note that the guy had cleric blacked out but was a cleric himself. And we did complete (we wiped and reformed with the same party leader)
    Last edited by morticianjohn; 02-18-2012 at 03:35 PM.
    Cannith - Noehealz, Protectorjon, Noebuffs, Mortion

Community Member

I know it's silly to rant on forums about pug life, cuz such people don't bother reading. Getting this out of my system made me feel better ;-)

To me, it seems that, even reading chat and tells is becoming lost art. I mean, how many times do I have to remind people to check their inventory for that 1 missing rune in TS...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by morticianjohn View Post
    I always look first at myself to see if there was something I could have done differently to avoid that failure.
    don't pug before gianthold

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by enearh View Post
    don't pug before gianthold
    but that is the best time! I've been leveling my first toon who has TR'd into a third life and it's been wonderful! He is now approximately lvl 12 and I've had some wonderful experiences. Had fun with a player and ended up FB friends. Early this morning we did elite Von 5 with some wonderful teamwork got it done.

I have leveled to 12 or higher 9 times on 5 toons via the LFM and loved every minute of it. Yes if we wipe it is always my fault. My guy recently is a 3rd life pally and I never have enough DPS. I've been looking at my build and thinking I could have done some things differently. I haven't really twinked him and I have a really hard time keeping up divine might, divine favor, haste pot and stuff during combat. Generally I can attribute my failures to a lack of dps. I can't turn on PA yet (or equip a khopesh in my offhand) which is a build/gear decision/mistake that I've made. I think that soon I will have the gear/feats needed to do this but I have to suffer through the next 3 levels without it. This and no other reason is why I have had groups wipe on me thus far this life.

Community Member

I'm on vacation! The pugs will get better by monday

VoD is the first raid that the characters outgrow. Once you get your gloves/goggles, there is no reason to run it anymore, unless you are helping a friend or hoping for a tome. Most VoD parties are from newbies, or from vets' new alts.
    Kmnh * Kmn * Kmm * Knn * Knm

Leader of Templar

It's nothing special these days I know and certainly no achievement but...

I put up an LFM today Shroud - Normal - First time Leading and...

Was the best Shroud run I've been involved in thanks to some excellent players. I took the first 11 to hit the LFM

On Cannith of course.

We did have one guy /death just as Harry attacked in Pt 5 but guess what? Not an issue.

BTW What's with the people /deathing before Harry's even half-way dead these days? Seems every Shroud I join there's one who'll do this.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    BTW What's with the people /deathing before Harry's even half-way dead these days? Seems every Shroud I join there's one who'll do this.
    That's a good thing. It avoids altar drama.
    Kmnh * Kmn * Kmm * Knn * Knm

Leader of Templar

Community Member

Was the best Shroud run I've been involved in thanks to some excellent players. I took the first 11 to hit the LFM

On Cannith of course.

We did have one guy /death just as Harry attacked in Pt 5 but guess what? Not an issue.

A good leader always makes for a smoother run. Congrats on leading your first shroud

Quote Originally Posted by Kmnh View Post
    That's a good thing. It avoids altar drama.
    To elaborate on what KMNH has said: with the change to add possible larges in the end rewards list fewer and fewer people aren't completing. The old way of waiting while 1/2 the raid leaves to finish the quest with 6 people is over with. Lately I've seen people just hitting the altar as soon as harry drops because in general no one leaves at the end anymore. This means that the /death is going to have to happen sooner too (although 1/2 is probably a little premature what if you happen to get 5-6 people who do this the 2nd half is going to be tough for some groups).

Quote Originally Posted by MiahooJunk View Post
    Whats wrong?
    I can tell you that!

It seems some peeps in cannith do you a favor when they get you into their group!

With LFMs like:
    - "hEAVY dPS!!" when only barbs and fighters are selected, even for quests like reaver and hox.
    - "Hjeals!!" when 3 are in the group
    - "NO NOOBS!! KNOW IT!! NEED GUIDE!!"
    And more...

People who join those kind of LFMs are puggers who already wiped 5 time before and wanna try their luck again, puggers who got declined from other groups becasue of thier skills and puggers who same minded know-it-alls.

People can put their idiotic LFM as much as you want, just dont wonder why they wipe/never filled (Like that casters shroud I saw 2 weeks ago with no clerics selected...)

And I didnt mention the number on ignorers... I mean, you can /tell "sorry, I dont need your role" or "full, sry".

So yeah.. it seems we get more and more jerks here in Cannith... But why do I bother ranting?... I guess those people dont visit the forums anyway...
    Well I do think that type of LFMs seem over represented because they often take a long time to, or never, fill. I know I ran two pug Into the Deeps while there was a guy with a strange LFM up most/all of the time. There's just no avoiding the fact that one of the types of people that post, rather than join, LFMs are... well.. special. And since no one joins them they tend to build up on the LFM panel.

Raids are tough, because it can be really tempting to hit an LFM for a raid you want to run even if the LFM has some red flags.

I have to say, I love to Pug. You meet the most interesting people that way. Sure, not all of them are great players or even very familiar with the game. And some are just tools - like the guy in the pug group for the Depths last night who belched into his mic for extended (reallllyyyyy extented) periods of time. But you know, that's what /squelch is for.

Overall though, if you have a little patience and a sense of humor it can be a very enjoyable experience. And you get the very best stories.

There are of course those that are huge red flags for me. For instance the lfm for Delera's farming that said 'NO NOOBS' and the dude was hanging out in the Wayward Lobster. Pretty much screams 'I'm a knob, don't join this lfm'.
    Goddess! You know it baybee.

Nissha - Chanteuse - Zealotry - Zealot - Zeal
    Leader, High Rollers (Cannith)

Hail all

I also only manage to pug (usually due to limited play time availability and different time zone (New Zealand).

All my PUG experiences have been beneficial - most Id like to repeat, several I would choose to miss in hindsight

For me it takes some time (and repetition) to gain the confidence to join/start LFMs with some of the more experienced players involved. These groups also tend to be where the most valuable learning occurs even if it comes in the short, sharp, sole kind of format!

I am beginning to recognise and appreciate how frustration towards others (or their play style) can develop. I think if anyone ever accepts me into a group then asks me "can u heal?" I’m gonna struggle holding my tongue

I posted a few days back that I am appreciating PUG play in Cannith at the moment - I stand by that view.

PS - Tx for your contribution to a TOR scale run a few days back Zealotry - managed to get me a brand new black dress now
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnofEntropy View Post
    Who wouldn't want to see Flizik the dwarf jamming to 'Devil went down to georgia' and smoking a pipe ...

On Cannith of course.

I saw that shroud and would have joined but I was in a hard run at the time.

I think that your good experience was because everyone had the right expectation when they joined - one problem with LFMs that are exclusionary is that people that join them think they're insta-win and that they can sleep through the quest. My lfm's almost always have "Everyone welcome" tacked on the end to set the expectation that the group may contain newbies (in a non-derogatory sense).

Gratz on the first lead - fun isn't it

Side

Sideways, Sidewise, Sidewynder, Sideblast, Sidelyne, Sidenote, Sideshot

Community Member KutchemesTheDark's Avatar

When you will be capped everything will change about pugging. Because 1-2 months later you'll learn people and you sill see same people in raids,epics. You can be sure at least you remember 50 ppl name if you care their names. And pugs become not anymore pugs you had knew. I recommend to you have friends, communicate with people , carry pots for bad situations, be socialized, know to say thank you, don't roll for something you not really need, request help people you ran together before ( someone help and even thank you for invite , someone not ), be socialized again. If you can't be socialized than play lotro or diablo.

Quote Originally Posted by morticianjohn View Post
    A good leader always makes for a smoother run. Congrats on leading your first shroud

To elaborate on what KMNH has said: with the change to add possible larges in the end rewards list fewer and fewer people aren't completing. The old way of waiting while 1/2 the raid leaves to finish the quest with 6 people is over with. Lately I've seen people just hitting the altar as soon as harry drops because in general no one leaves at the end anymore. This means that the /death is going to have to happen sooner too (although 1/2 is probably a little premature what if you happen to get 5-6 people who do this the 2nd half is going to be tough for some groups).
    Strangely enough I've not been in a single shroud so far on the 4 characters I've flagged where the altar has been touched prematurely.
    One of those characters is a Sarlona resident so this doesn't apply just to Cannith.

But I'm talking here about the last two or three Shroud runs where one person {not the same though could have been alts} /deathed the instant Harry joined the fight.
    It's not a short fight {even on normal} - Help beat him down then /death when he's down to 10% if you really don't trust the group to wait.

I can take no credit as group leader - That goes to the amazing players I had join me for an excellent Shroud run.

Maybe I'm just lucky but...
    Last night I joined a VoD hard run. Something went really, really wrong on the way to the entrance. A guy died and reenter subterane while a couple others tried to help him back. With the rest of the people inside waiting enough for my ship buffs to expire (!) it could have been a /fail, instead it was a lot of fun and laughs in chat and in the end we even complete (yay!).

On Cannith of course.

I was there and saw it all! :3

While leveling there is very little reason to pug.

Of course, I've met a lot of competent and cool people pugging while leveling so I'll put up an lfm occasionally...even if that generally slows things down and is -10% xp.

For raids and epics, pugs can be a mixed bag. Most people are fine if you explain exactly what they need to do, when they need to do it, etc. There are of course the idiots who never seem to listen, but generally word gets around and they are filtered out. The ijiot posting the elite HOX "shields go to me no noobs know it need 3 healers I will tank (was wf zero AC)" will NOT fill his group...and yea that was a real cannith lfm that was up for about 2 hrs.

The majority of raids/epics I take the first 5/11 and go. I'm way too nice...have filled evon6s in 5min and then realized I was the only clr/fvs...we completed and it was interesting . Or realizing I didn't get a shadow guy for tod part2 and had to do it myself and heal party at same time

No drama, your loot is your loot. Put it up for roll or take it or let it rot in the chest for all I care.

eDA, LOB and such get a bit of a filter-first timers generally welcome but lolbuilds (7sorc/7wiz/6bard isn't bringing much to the table) and lolplayers are not.

Of course, the longer you play the better you can tell which lfms are going to succeed and which are doomed to fail. And the longer you play on a server the more people you know...you start to remember which ppl/guilds get it done and which are fail. Generally 3-4 good players can pull the rest through....or at the very least I'll have a laugh with some buds about how bad that pug was.