Community Member

Smile DDO N00b Looking for Static Group for PnP Play Style

Hello!

I've recently re-installed DDO and I'm interested in finding some sort of static group to play with on a regular basis. Ideally to re-create something of a PnP feel. If that's actually doable? I have no idea.

I have played World of Warcraft for years but recently decided to uninstall and give up on it. I've also played several months of Rift but assuming I can set something up here I'd like to unsubscribe ASAP.

With both of these MMO's I feel like I've been "chasing the dragon" for quite a while now. It's taken a while but I figured out that what I enjoy most about both of these games is the cooperative social aspect of running dungeons. I'm not all that interested in questing and I'm definitely not interested in competitive PVP although I do enjoy playing on PVP servers, so I can occasionally get my "world" PvP fix. And while I have enjoyed raiding (both 10 and 25) I actually enjoy five men's more. I guess I just feel the effort required for rating outweighs the enjoyment I get out of it. Seems like the people I know who are playing both rift in wow are almost always in a rush to get to level cap only to to begin and never ending grind fest to get the latest gear so they can run the hardest raids.

Me on the otherhand want to enjoy the game from start to end. You take it in as I go.

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking this style of gameplay, it's just not for me.

Anyhow, the other day I was asking myself what is it about five men's that I enjoy so much and I think it's that they remind me of my old (talk in the least 15 ago) days of playing pen and paper AD&D (yes I said advanced lol) with friends. I was never a hard-core player but I really did enjoy it and moving forward if I'm going to continue playing MMO's I would like to try to re-create something similar now.

I'd like to find a static group of individuals who are also interested in doing this to play once or twice a week. Also I think it be great if we could all roll fresh tunes and level them exclusively together and paper style.

I know I'm not the only one who's interested because today I came across a forum post on DDO.com basically trying to set up the same thing that I've been thinking about myself.

Seems to me like DDO is is probably the best fit for what I'm looking for because it's mostly instanced dungeons that seem to be geared towards party playing, although I'm told if you're pro you can solo all sorts of stuff.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=244826

Now for my disclaimer.

While I have played DDO before I am a complete beginner and don't actually fully understand the game yet. In fact I gave up a few weeks in last time because I just found things too complicated to figure out on my own. That's probably in part due to the fact that I was playing solo and not participating on the forums.

All of that to say that it would be great if someone could help me sort out some of the finer points of the game including character creation.

One of the things I really enjoyed about raiding was the use of vent and if people are open to it I'd like to use something similar here. Maybe Skype or something? I think it might add to the role-play element. That being said if people don't want to do voice I can flex on that for sure.

As for player roles I'm willing to be flexible and would obviously let someone with more experience sort out the group dynamics. However, I've mostly played healer and tank classes and am definitely interested in reprising one of those roles here if possible.

I also possibly be interested in some sort of support role like Bard. At any rate, regardless of whatever role I do end up with I probably need some help creating my character so that I don't gimp myself too severely.

Regarding RP I've never really RP'd seriously in an MMO but I'm definitely open to it here if that's what people want to do. I suppose it's something the group could work out as things evolved.

Lastly, I don't have much experience playing free to play games but I would assume that there's a fairly high turnover rate. Especially at the lower levels of the game. So as a show of commitment on my part if needed I would be happy to pay for a VIP membership if that will help demonstrate my seriousness.

As far as game times I'd be happy to set something up once or twice a week preferably weeknight evenings and possibly one weekend day. I should also probably mention that I am in Los Angeles in the Pacific time zone but I'm definitely willing to be flexible in order to meet the needs of others in other time zones.

Anyhow that's my pitch. Any thoughts? Anyone interested?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and hope to see you in game.

Oh and by the way -while it would be preferable to start sooner rather than later. I'm happy to take however long it takes to set things up properly. Even if it takes a month or two.

Community Member

What does "PnP Style" entail? :P

I've been looking to get back into DDO but wanted to find a static group as well. I'm EST though, so scheduling might be difficult. :-/

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by osuracnaes View Post
    What does "PnP Style" entail? :P

I've been looking to get back into DDO but wanted to find a static group as well. I'm EST though, so scheduling might be difficult. :-/
    First off ty for responding to my post.

By PnP I guess that I just mean creating a similar vibe. For example having a set time with a consisting group of people who are leveling/working through the content together. I really meant it as a way of describing the opposite of the typical ( while leasing games like Rift and WoW) lfg randomness and where the people in your group are just a means to an end and thus often treated as disposable. I'd like to ( if at all possible) focus on the social aspects of the group as well as the content we are working through.

Does that make sense?

Also, as for you being on the east coast. I don't know that would necessarily be a problem assuming everyone involved can be somewhat flexible.

Community Member

Oh ok, cool - sounds like something I'd be interested in! I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Community Member

I started a thread about casual RP, basically trying to recreate old school dnd.. also, a person named intruder1, also made a thread about this..

he is able to play in the evenings mon-thursday, and est time..

including you that makes 3 people interested in doing this.. which is almost a party! I know someone ingame that i've been trying to get intouch with that also might be interested as well..

I'm looking to play some night durring the week, mon-thursday... perhaps we can make this happen?

Community Member

Yeah... I took a look at intruder1's post. That kinda playstyle is a little too extreme for me, lol.

Community Member

I would also be interested in doing this. I am a fairly long term and experianced player. but i have only ever joined pugs and would like a group that i could play with on a reguler basis. im on a eastren time zone.

Edit
    also my first forum post. lol.

alos i have been playing for quite awile and know the ins and outs of the game. if you need help with character creation i know how to build a good toon. also i would like to be able to play on my home server cannith if that is at all possible.
    Last edited by Ressurection; 02-19-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Community Member

Hey guys, sorry if my ideas sounded difficult. They really aren't. They're just ideas.
    Make your character any way you like. I'm just comparing stuff to the old rulebooks.
    I'm playing a quest every Wednesday at 8PM EST. It's playtesting.
    Help me figure out what it takes to play DDO somewhat like D&D.

Just bring a character level appropriate to the Butchers Path Wednesday.
    I'll be playtesting the quest Monday and Tuesday Solo with a Cleric. His name is Tukc.
    There will be a grouping ad posted.

Let's have some fun.

Community Member

This sounds up my alley. Count me in for now. Class selection is very flexible.
    I am most definitely NOT available Tuesday morn/afternoon, Thursday all day, and Sunday evenings. Other than that, I am pretty much open to whenever. I have toons on Sarlona but don't really care what server. Will be watching this thread with much interest.

(Also first forum post, I sit back and read, I dont post lol)
    Last edited by Erik.the.Read; 02-22-2012 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Realization of first post

Hey y'all what server? I've been playing a couple years but pretty much just soloed. I would be interested in starting from scratch and helping (no spoiler) along the way. I am EST also but a bit of a night owl.

bitkaCK2
    "That's right, remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over..." ~ Heavenly Bank Account by Frank Zappa
    "Your 'Gin n' tonic Futon Brain' cyborg implants sure make you smart!" ~ Seraphita, Element of Fire

Community Member

Talking

We're set up on Thelanis, Wednesdays at 8PM EST. (I'm usually there by 7)
    I can switch between a Human Fighter and an Elven Cleric, whatever is needed.
    Added a second player last night and he will switch between a Human Cleric and a Thief (ok, rogue)

Create your character and run Korthos Quests until you get to 2nd Level. Make enough coin to equip yourself as you want, but don't own more than 1 Magic item.
    You CAN join up with a 1st Level Character, but it only takes an hour to level up and we'll need it.

If you don't have a mic for voice-chat, we can work thru it, but you'll definetely miss a lot of the fun.
    The $10 mic would be a good investment.

Oh, I'm usually online Mon, Tues and Thurs also, about 7-10pm EST tooling around checking things out.
    Try to let me know ahead of time if you'd like to join in so I can plan.
    We're planning on doing Butchers Run for a couple more Wednesdays before moving on to the next.
    Last night's adventure ended up a bust. <grin> Over estimated our potential on one of the optionals and got our heads handed to us!
    My Characters are Thraisias or Tukcc.

Check out this thread. It's where I put the Journal as to how things are going.
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=362110
    Last edited by intruder1; 02-23-2012 at 04:36 AM.

Try out or look at the permadeath guilds

Community Member

Most Perma-Death Guilds are a bit too strict for my tastes. Even a PnP adventure that required character destruction after death was too much.
    I'm in this to have fun and laugh with whoever I'm gaming with.

I've asked what things ppl would consider good in a DDO PnP game, no one has suggested anything yet.

FACT: DDO is magic item heavy. A character sheet has more than 10 slots in which they can equip items and a lot of players think they aren't ready until every slot has something in it.
    I do not believe that DDO is unplayable unless your character if "topped off" with Magic.

I also believe that Modules (Quests) are designed using criteria from D&D and Normal Difficulty works, but only if Magic items are under control.

You want to play PnP? Create a character, hook up with a couple like-minded ppl and talk while you play.
    Try to do things you'd have to do if playing on a tabletop.

Last week it took 2 of us an hour and a half to do the Butchers Path Module.
    We took our time, fought, ran away, cowered around dark corners and LAUGHED (and sometimes YELLED) almost the whole time!
    At the end we didn't have the common sense to realize we were overmatched and we died.
    We laughed and cursed and came away with 0 XP! ZILCH !!!
    It didn't matter......we laughed so hard it was worth it.