Page 35 of 133 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Is anyone in the Guild NOT going to be around on Wednesdays during the Holiday?
    Last edited by intruder1; 12-08-2012 at 06:39 AM.

Community Member

oops

Community Member

Spent way too much time reading the rants about how bad this game is.
    Yea, I know most of the issues.

Anyway, went "PUG'in" today with a 4th Level Pal/Wiz/Rog to see what reactions I would get.
    Also had him in THAC0 gear.

Right off the bat I saw a 4th Level, 4 person group doing "Caverns..." on ELITE and they advertised "Need a Trapper".
    I took the bait.

By the time I caught up to them, they were more than half way to the end.
    They fought together, but other than that, they were spread out all over.
    They may have needed a "Trapper", but I suspect only for getting the extra XP for disarming.
    They ran right thru all traps and they all must have carried Spirit Cakes cause they died and raised many times in one Quest.

The Quest, on Elite was no match for THAT group of (4) 4th Level characters.

When I came to a trap (which was sprung and ran thru), the leader simply said "get the trap".
    Well, failed to spot or search for it. ( I KNOW that quest has a DC of 21, mine was 12)
    Jumped and quickly died.

Before I could finish recalling back to town, I was dumped with no comments.

I can not comprehend the interest and/or value of trying to move that quickly up the progression ladder.

Default That ^

is why I run with you Tuk. Simply can't say about Wednedsay. I don't plan things then but who knows what the inlaws might do. Maybe just have a fall back plan to Searing Heights if people are missing. I'll let you know if I can if I'll be missing.

Originally posted by Aeryyn "I don't play this game for xp/min, I play for fun/hour. "

Community Member

Default Charter

Spent some time re-writing and re-formatting the Charter (1st post of this Thread).
    Let me know if I've overlooked anything.

Community Member

Default You'll like this 1 Tukcc

I posted my own Pug the other day, 1 of the new High Road quests with the comment 'EH, pref not to fast' ,
    yes you guessed it, we ran through the quest, with me at the rear even with my go faster boots on . :-)

Here's another one right back from the start and i have a screen shot to prove it(i will post it next). It was a week i think, after me and tukcc 1st met and did heytons crypt. You said i won't be there next week but post an LFM and maybe some others will see it. Well i did post a LFM and after awhile a barbarian joined, I'm laughing now thinking about it. I said i'm looking for specific players only 2 magic items, I never saw him ever again lol.

In answer to why people sprint through quests i think mostly they want to play higher level quest. Even with zerging some quests can still take 1 hr to complete, like raids for instance. Also you can earn a lot of freebies with favour that cost real money otherwise. When you TR you earn favour and those 25 TP's allover again.
    Or for instance something i've done. The Lordsmarch chain(attack on Stormreach pack) where you can find various named items, that with the 'Marks' given in chest and end rewards can be used to make an improved magic item. I used a 'Blade of Fury' fused with several different 'Marks' to get a pair of 'Vampiric Fury shortswords'. This means you have to do the quest arc numerous times to collect all the materials. When you get to the 6th or more time
    " I tell ya u wanna zerg" :-)

I'm simply amazed how Vast/Huge this game is and even with its faults and bugs, is personaly by far the best game i've ever played thats does'nt need books pens pencils and paper to play. I think DDO does its best to cater for everyone. Its what You want to do,wether that's breaking the fastest Shroud record or taking years as groups have done playing with friends enjoying the sights and sounds.

Going back to the Pug i posted at the top of the page. It turned out to be a Fantasic Pug, amazingly 3 random encounter's(rare's) appeared. ( The high road has a wilderness area akin to korthos). The group were powerful, did'nt need much healing so i made the most of my meager by comparsion melee/attack spells. 3 rare's down and the Adventure to go. Oops having fun was'nt watching my 'blue bar', " I need a Shrine " , "there's 1 just inside".
    I had a brillant time, kept everyone alive did'nt do much attacking. Maybe next time i'll try EE.
    Just awestruck, wether it be a Dragon flying overhead Stormreach, that glowing character who just zoomed in'n'out of the Pub, or that i can drink a Beholder under the table and best of all rescuing Damsels in distress.

Community Member

Default hope this pic works

Last edited by SlowDM; 12-09-2012 at 10:42 AM. Reason: image did'nt work
    Just awestruck, wether it be a Dragon flying overhead Stormreach, that glowing character who just zoomed in'n'out of the Pub, or that i can drink a Beholder under the table and best of all rescuing Damsels in distress.

y'all have the right idea. the game can be whatever you want to make it, from perma death to all out geared zerging. I have a group I play with on wed nite otherwise, I would be looking y'all up. Good luck and good gaming.
    Talk low, talk slow, and don’t talk too much.

Community Member

Default D&D for Dummies.......

OK, I was bored. Found the book on ebay for $3 and couldn't resist.

Two words.....REALLY LONG. It is thicker than the DMG 3.5

My curiosity led me to skim the book cover to cover, looking for similarities to DDO.
    There are quite a few.

At last I think I understand more of the current DDO mentality, at least with Min/Max'ers.
    It's a new breed of D&D game players.

What caught my interest was the section on creating characters other than 1st level.
    (I won't talk about the fact they did NOT use dice!)
    When determining what Magic Items any character above level 1 might possess, they broke it down to 3 items directly related to the characters Class, and a 4th being of general purpose.
    Further, each item was described by "Level", one "above" character level, one "Equal" to character level and two "below" character level.
    I regarded the descriptions a "Major", "Moderate", and "Minor".

On a hunch I compared this "template" to the equipment Tukcc carries.
    Major Item: Magic Battle Plate Armor Potential +4
    Moderate Item: +1 Longbow Potential +2
    Minor Item: Interegators Shield Potential +1
    Minor Item: Protectors Heart "Set" Potential 0
    Admin Item: Belt of Moderate Fortification Potential 0

Coincidence? Maybe.......

So I applied it to the rest of the Guild......very similar results. (but I don't know their potential numbers to confirm)

This leads me to believe that the Magic System we are using has some merit.
    Our system allows (1) potential per character level.
    "Sets" are Free, as are any Fortification item.

A "Major" Magic Item is anything whose potential is more than half the characters level.
    A "Moderate" Magic Item is anything whose potential is from 25% to 50% of the characters Level.
    A "Minor" Magic Item is everything below that.
    If an item does NOT have a potential, it is considered a potential of +1.
    A really strong item without a potential is still a +1, and is considered a "Divine" Gift. (The movie "The Immortals" comes to mind.)
    Last edited by intruder1; 12-10-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Community Member

Default ELVEN FTR/CLR -or- PAL

Which of these Classes do you think would perform better for an Elf in DDO?

From Levels 1-7, a PAL was able to obtain a WIS and DEX increase, while a FTR/CLR was able to obtain STR+WIS+DEX increases.

Quote Originally Posted by intruder1 View Post
    Which of these Classes do you think would perform better for an Elf in DDO?

From Levels 1-7, a PAL was able to obtain a WIS and DEX increase, while a FTR/CLR was able to obtain STR+WIS+DEX increases.

ELF L4/3 CLR/FTR also gets +2 feats and 2nd level cleric spells.

ELF L7 PAL also gets +18 HPs (+10 from Paladin Toughness 3 and +8 from d10 vs 4 levels of d8), True Resurrection (at level 6), +10% healing amp, ghost touch for all weapons, smite evil, divine might, fear immunity, disease immunity, better to hit chance, and a better chance to turn undead.
    Last edited by Postumus; 12-12-2012 at 03:59 PM.

Community Member

Default Game night

Wednesday provided yet another great experience for this Classic D&D Party.

Up to this point, our adventurers had faced Kobolds, Hobgoblins, and other sorts of baddies.
    There was always the typical weapon weilding things in their faces, with Arcanes and Archers making their life difficult from a distance.

Undead----were, up to now, just another thing to bash and hack.

The party faced, for the first time, a more powerful undead minion....Spectres.
    After the first couple of encounters, our Ranger was muttering about how nothing he was using was doing any good!
    Our Rogue found it was smarter to stay in the shadows.
    The two Multi-classed Divines found their clerical abilities didn't measure up.

The only exception was the Arcane Casters. Certain spells were proving to be the only REALLY effective means to attack these things.

After experiencing "Chamber of Insanity" for the first time, it was only the Halfling who was able to escape alive, but it was a very close call for him as well.

From a Classic D&D standpoint, this was outstanding. The party is absolutely focused on their immediate survival!
    They are not looking at things like "grass parting as they walk thru fields", or what new prestige abilities they will obtain when they get to 17th level.
    They are pondering wether they will even be able to reach Level 8!

Each player in THAC0 chose the Class they wanted to have fun in playing. Changes in membership made the randomness of the party more evident.
    How far can THIS combination go?

The party has a marked weakness in Divine abilities. Can the Arcanes make up the difference?
    Last edited by intruder1; 12-14-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Default "How far....?"

"How far can THIS combination go?", intruder1 asks.

Cogs is still in a drunken stupor, struggling to forget the spine tingling, hair raising, scream in terror, Horror Movie evening he lived...er... died in. Three times.

THREE TIMES! *Face/palm*

I think we can go as far as the fence around the graveyard, or the dusty gated entrance to the old crypt... and not an INCH farther! Cogs thinks we should not go beyond his ability to signal for another round of ale from the barmaid.

Our only hope is for Divine Intervention (or perhaps the old fashioned "DM's Fickle Finger of Fudge").

In the mean time, you guys have to admit, we did have an absolute riot of fun, laugh 'til it hurt, and went away pleased that we had tried, even if we came away as in-game failures.

There is a solution. Just don't ask ME what it is! *grin*

Default By way of introduction...

=
    Calibhan the Halfbreed.

A dwarf-drow halfbreed?

You really didn't think Humans to be the only Race capable of interbreeding with others and creating Halfbreeds did you?

It is only the traditions to conform, the social conventions to stay pure, and the old biases amongst the other more conservative Races, that keeps them from intermixing.

My Father - a dashing Dwarf Cleric, and my Mother - a fetching Drow Rogue, two kindred spirits and comrades in arms, obviously didn't adhere to those things...

That's the story Calibhan has let out in the Marketplace at least. It serves to send away the idley curious and the gossipy, searching in vain for said Dwarf and Drow, should they need to delve deeper into anothers life.

It also nettles the more puritan and arrogant of both Dwarf and Drow Races. One can imagine the disdain and disgust members of both would exhibit towards one such as Calibhan. Amongst the Warforged and Halflings - morbid amusement at worst, disinterest at best. The other Halfbreeds - only apathy - they being wrapped in their own misery. And as for Humans and Elves - pity they would feel, if they knew the horrific story in full.

Calibhan needs none of these, only a reckoning for what has been done. And the search goes on...
    =
    Six long years... living on the fringes of the city of Stormreach, taking odd jobs for the various Patrons of the City. Following leads and clues that only end in minions and chests. Never the One Calibhan has searched for... alone until now. Only once before has Calibhan teamed with another, and Tick proved a worthy companion. The Halfling Rogue taught many of his skills to Calibhan, making it easier to delve into those dark places and bastions of evil. It was only his tragic loss, and Calibhans guilt at the loss, that has kept Calibhan alone these few years.

But now Calibhan has found a group of other misfits and outcasts and runaways. And once again Calibhan has found companionship, and something else to fill the insatiable need to hunt down the One and seek revenge, (Balinor forgive). And mayhap Calibhan can let go a burden of guilt... or mayhap will pick up five more... And the search goes on.

Default Of Wraiths and Spectres

"A black shadowy figure rose silently out of the ground, its malevolently glowing red eyes fixed hatefully on Khovis. It lashed a shadowy hand out at the dwarf before he could react, reaching through his armor and chilling his soul. Zarn brought his greataxe down through the wraith, smashing the coffin in a single blow as his attack had no effect on the incorporeal creature. Senna’s attack struck true, and the creature jerked back as I launched a handful of magic missiles into it - force effects bypass the protection that incorporeality grants the monster, and it disappeared before our eyes."

Type: Undead
    Alignment: Lawful Evil
    Attack: Incorporeal touch
    Special Qualities: Incorporeal, Constitution drain, create spawn, +2 Turn resistance

Most adventurers have never dealt with attacks that cause Constitution damage, which is at least as deadly as regular damage, and much more difficult and expensive to heal than any poison. And so the typical group of heroes encountering a pair of wraiths for the first time is ill prepared for the fight. Sadly, these same ill-prepared adventurers usually end up increasing the wraith population of Xen'drik when they fall.

How to overcome such foes? Fighting characters should invest in ghost touch weapons when they can find or afford them, as these weapons are the only implements that can reliably strike at these ghostly creatures. Equally important, they must watch closely for any sign that a wraith is marshalling the dark will to begin a Constitution-draining attack. If they notice in time, the bets are to either get out of the way quickly, or raise a shield or weapon to block the attack. For arcane characters, magic missile is the most effective and most available solution. Meanwhile, a cleric hero should be prepared with plenty of restoration spells for the inevitable Constitution damage.

From the personal journal of Azalai Korias, Elven Wizard
    22 Nymm, 998:

Also of note:
    Healing spells will destroy Wraiths and Spectres. Instead of Clerics using up Mana to combat them, we could use Wands of Cure Moderate Wounds as offense. Also Clerics have Seek Eternal Rest which grants the caster a +4 sacred bonus to level for the purposes of turning undead.

Protection from Evil creates a magical barrier that wards a target from attacks by evil creatures. It grants a +2 deflection bonus to AC and a +2 resistance bonus to saves versus attacks from evil creatures. The target is also warded from evil magical controls and compulsions.

These spells (Magic Missile, Cure Wounds, Seek Eternal Rest, Prot from Evil) plus the tactics of divide and conquer should prevail until we acquire Ghost touched weapons. In the case of multiple Arcane Skellies and Spectres. One of us (logically the one with the most hitpoints) can act as decoy and rabbit run with the Spectre on his tail while the rest of the team takes out the Skellies. Then lead the Spectre back to ambush. Tuk, we are Cleric trained... we can teach the Undead to fear US! *grin*

Community Member

The insense in his abode was thick. Candles alight in a circle around him.
    He would need guidance....nay...a more substantial token of support.
    In the weeks past since their encounter with the vile spirits, Tukcc had been healing and in deep meditation.

They were ill-prepared last time. The price paid for their folley....death.
    He had since then sought out the wisdom from the Council. It was wise, and prudent.

The Ancestors would be watching, and he must prove his worth to them. It is his destiny.

"It is time..." he thought to himself.
    "They will be gathering soon."

He donned his Armor. Tightening the buckles and straps.
    "Not this time!" he cursed, as he grabbed his Sword and Shield.
    "Not this time!"

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kerikofgreyhawk
    I think our first misadventure (Lair of Simmoning) was just bad luck. We can handle that one with our current tactics.

As I'm thinking about our encounter with the Soulless One (Chamber of Insanity), it dawns on me now that he had two arcane skeletons with him that we could have used. And if Grondley and I had prepared "Command Undead", and if we had snuck into range, then we could have turned the lightning-zapping arcane skeletons against it.

The timed mission (Archer Point Defence) is just not our bread and butter.
    Good observations Kierik.

Community Member

The lever moved with no little amount of effort. The sound of doors slamming shut and the hissing of escaping gas raised the hairs on Tukcc's neck.

"The trap has been sprung!" he thought, tightening the grip on the new Wand he obtained.

"It will be coming soon now...."

Like the rising of a dark cloud, the Shade appeared just as it had done before, but are we more prepared?
    His Party members were spread out across the opposite side of the room from Tukcc. It was his job to throw the lever.
    They immediately began the assault on the "thing". Magic Missles filled the air as Calibhan envoked Divine Spells.
    "Now!" Tukcc spat, triggering the Wand. A Blinding light lept forth, searing the undead minion.
    Again and again the rays struck home.

A vaguely recognizable hooded "head" slowly turned in his direction.
    "Uh oh...." Tukcc's eyes widened in reaction. "It's turned it's attention towards me!' he thought.
    The shade moved up onto Tukcc, much faster than he anticipated.
    Tukcc let loose another ray, but didn't wait to see the result. He dashed away, behind a pillar.
    A cold sensation touched his shoulder as he ran. Numbing, moving quickly down his side.

Barely holding panick at bay, Tukcc dodged out the door from whence they entered. It did not follow....why?
    Spinning around, he let loose yet another ray, then another.
    It was working! The thing was obviously hurt!

With another ray, the Shade shieked in agony, then faded from sight.

Fighting was still going on just inside the doorway. What was going on?

WHAT? THE SHADE! But it was destroyed?
    He could not stop to ponder. The Party was in trouble.
    Tukcc brought the wand up to bear and began releasing ray after ray.
    After what seemed like hours, it faded into nothingness.

Entering the room, Tukcc beheld 3 members of the party standing over the crumpled body of Grondley.
    Somehow, they believed the shade backed him into a corner where there was no escape.
    Then Tukcc began to understand. The "second" Shade was Grondley. Struck down by the first Shade and placed in undead control.

Things had not gone as planned.

Gathering up Grondleys body and belongings, they knew they could not continue and made their way back to the entrance.

Default Comparisons...

*reads Tuk's tale of woe*

Leave it to you guys to make Cogs night in the arms of his Half-Orc "Lady", with the follow-up requirement for cure disease and heal for the pounding hangover, look pleasant by comparison!

Community Member

Calibhan took point, understanding that without Cogoiler, he would have to step up and keep the party from stumbling into any traps.
    Ktorr, flanked him. His Ranger skills on red alert.

Not 100 meters from the entrance, Callibhan signaled danger and halted.
    He could sense that something was not right. Whether his Rogue skills told him or his inate Dwarven abilities picked up on something amiss he didn't know.
    Carefully he examined the stonework. Looking for a telltale sign.......there were none.
    "Damn!..." he thought to himself.

Suddenly...."SWISH!!". A pair of opposing blades sliced thru the air from each side of the corridor.
    The sudden tripping of the device caught everybody by surprise.

Ktorr moved up closer to Calibhan, trying to determine the mechanics of the trap.

"There!.....I see it!" yelled Ktorr.
    "I can see the channel in the floor!".

The device was a "one-shot" and it was now harmless.
    Confidently, Ktorr moved closer to the tiny slit traversing the hall.

"Here! It's right he------" SWISH!!!
    Ktorr's words were cut short as his lifeless body fell to the floor!

"Damn!"

Page 35 of 133 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585 ... LastLast