Page 36 of 133 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Default Deep thoughts at the Tavern......

Tukcc took a deep draft of the tankard in front of him.

"It IS difficult.....knowing that when assaulted, to concentrate on evasion, rather than continue your own attacks."

Cogoiler sat quietly listening across the table from the Elf, holding up his empty tankard to the serving wench.

"You have to remember your team-mates are on opposite sides, attacking to draw the monsters attention."

Grondley, the Mage, noded in agreement.

As Tukcc looked about at the other faces seated at the table with them, he bid them....

"What say you all?"

Community Member

Default Deep thoughts at the Tavern......

Quote Originally Posted by kerikofgreyhawk

Looking up past the brim of his Ale, Kierik, the Halfling spoke up....
    "Maybe not - when something comes after me I've learned to run like hell." He related.
    "The best defense is not Armor, nor dodge, nor displacement, but rather directing the attention of your attacker."

"Attack just one thing at a time, make it dead as fast as possible, and if you can't do that then run until someone draws the attention away from you."
    "And (in the beginning of a fight) stay hidden so fighters can draw the monster to them."

Kierik emptied his mug and waved it at the passing server.

"The first time we ran through the chamber of insanity, I was hitting the Wraiths with maximized rays."
    "It came after me and I put up displacement and ran away, while others finished it off."

"It worked really well, but I didn't have spell points left for the soulless one."

"This most recent time in the chamber, I stood there plinking away at it with magic missiles to conserve spell points."

"Grondley got to the top of the hate list, didn't have displacement, and died in short order."

"I think we ought to try halt undead."

Community Member

Tukcc regarded the Halfling, then at length told him....

"That's the point of my discussion."

"Rule of thumb.....always attack from the Flank or Rear."

"If it turns on you, stop....evade, and allow another to draw it's attention."

Default Cogs contemplates incorporeal carnage

Cogs looked around at his friends and shook his head sadly.

"The ones you can see through... my weapons do no damage to them that I can tell. I have nothing that causes real harm to the other undead either. I do not understand why they even attack me, if drawing their ire is related to the harm you cause them!"

The young Tinker sipped at his ale, considering his options. "My Dodge Skills are quite good, but limited to circumstance. Sometimes they are just not available because there is no place to dodge to! It appears impossible to Sneak, or Hide in the presence of Undead. It also appears that my armor may as well not exist, for all the good it does against their spells and weapons."

"In truth," he peered up at Tuk dejectedly, "I see no contribution I can make in battling these types of unsubstantial undead."

Grondley peered over the top of his dark red wine; 'How do you think I feel, I'm supposed to be the master of undead and not only can't I stop one, I come back as a shade to chase my own comrades.' Sometimes it is not to difficult, but when it goes badly, it does so very quickly. I wonder if it could sense that the summons that were attacking it came from me. Tapping his new wand of magic missile; 'this might stretch my magic.'

Originally posted by Aeryyn "I don't play this game for xp/min, I play for fun/hour. "

Community Member

The halfing takes a longer sip of his brew, something he allowed Cogs to buy for him - a decision he was beginning to question.

"My point is that while I agree with you, Tukcc, I also agree with our tinker friend. You guys can flank all you wish, but what good does it do if only Grondley and I can effectively damage it?"

He pushes the tankard away with a grimace. "What kind of swamp water you pushing here, Cogoiler?"
    Last edited by intruder1; 12-25-2012 at 06:43 AM.

Community Member

The Elf draws a deep breath, regarding the council of his fellow adventurerers.

"Indeed, we have rough enough time as it is without having to contend with the Undead."

Tukcc looks across the table at the Ranger, sitting back and drawing on his pipe.

"Have you no words tonight Ktorr?"

"We have to consider the risks involved." Tukcc said at last.

"Maybe these types of contracts are not in our best interests?"
    Last edited by intruder1; 12-25-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Default Deep in his cups at the Tavern

I have heard of melee weapons enchanted to attack incorporeal creatures. I hope we can find such things in their lairs, as such weapons would be carried in by other hapless adventurers. Next time around, I will learn Disrupt Undead. Another round here miss, and BEST BEER this time!

Originally posted by Aeryyn "I don't play this game for xp/min, I play for fun/hour. "

Default Deep thoughts at the Tavern

Calibhan sat quietly at the table, listening to the others as they discussed the past events in the Chamber of Insanity, and the deaths that had ensued. It was only due to the abilities of High Clerics, located back in the city, that the slain were able to be Resurrected. It brought back bad memories of Tick, his first true friend and mentor, and his grisly fate. Calibhan felt burning shame. He was cleric trained and yet unequal to the task. Even though blessed with long life from his dual lineage, training in three different classes had slowed his growth in each. He had known this would be the case, but had felt that the sum total of the three fields of knowledge would eventually be greater than that of a single one. Now he paid the price, with others lives.

Calibhan took a pull of his ale, and resolved to buy the next round instead of leaving it Cogoiler's usual choice. 'Tis no wonder he ended up bedding a Half-Orc, drinking this.

Calibhan the dwarf knew that even a diamond has its inherent weakness, and when struck true would shatter. 'Twould be no different with Wraiths. The question was, did they have the ability, the tools and the power at this level to do so? And not once mind you, but multiple times within just one dungeon?

Resolving to add his two coppers to the conversation, Calibhan drained his mug, and immediately regretted it. Calibhan believed Minotaur urine would taste better.

"Although the desire to eradicate these Wraiths burns within me, and it nettles me to think of shying away from a challenge, it is Calibhans thought that this Chamber of Insanity is yet beyond our combined abilities as they stand."

Calibhan could feel bile build in his throat and wondered if it was shame or Cogoilers "Special Brew".

"As of now we lack any weapons that can touch these vile apparitions, and our magic is too little and unevenly distributed. No doubt we can prevail against one or even two of these Wraiths. But there be FOUR within the Chamber and the Soulless One to boot."

"It be Calibhans thought that we should seek quests that would provide to us a chance at Ghost Touched weapons. These quests would also provide us the chance to hone our tactics by facing Wraiths of lesser stature and lesser numbers."

There, it had been said. Now beyond recall... as Tick had been. Calibhan looked mournfully into his empty mug, pondering his fighting and magic abilities, mulling over what more could be done with what Calibhan possessed.
    Last edited by zefjoe; 12-25-2012 at 09:21 AM.

Community Member

"Destiny charts our ultimate goal, and Fate decides the roads we take."

"None of which is ours to know, or have influence thereof....."

"Such is the way of Mortals."

Default Old memories... and new ideas

Calibhan the Halfbreed sat silent, barely listening as the others talked in dejected voices of their recent mishaps and misadventures.

The mood that was upon them all brought back old memories, painful memories, of a life Calibhan wished could be scrubbed from his mind. Memories of his youth and Mothers captivity. His nightmarish training at the hands of the One, preparing him to be a dark cleric-warrior. Such "training" had let him find the lore of Wraiths easily, but lore without ability is impotent. As Calibhan felt now... as Calibhan had felt then. Old memories surfaced... memories of Calibhans other "half-life". The Drow within stirred and began to study the problem with a cold, analytical mind.

They needed more offensive capabilities. They needed Ghost Touched weapons for the front line and the melee-ers. Tukcc , Calibhan, Ktorr and Cogs. Such weapons could be gained in only two places reliably. The Catacombs and the Necropolis. The Catacombs would be by far the easiest, perhaps too easy; and it would mean multiple trips within to acquire enough Ghost Touch weapons... unless they were to go in as teams of two. Then each team would be sure to pull a weapon. Such "scrub runs" seemed beneath them now, but sometimes the easiest path to victory was just that... the easiest.

The spell casters needed to find the right combination of hard hitting damage like Magic Missile and subtle but lingering damage such as Melfs Acid arrow. But would Melfs even affect the Wraiths, which were nearly invulnerable. The two divine casters needed to buff and stagger their Turn Undead ability, and concentrate more on healing than battle. And perhaps their Turn Undead attempts, even if failed, would lower the Wraiths ability to resist Command Undead by the Casters?

At all costs, those with the lowest Constitution should avoid direct confrontation by staging themselves in corners while the frontline did just that, held in front. These tactics needed to be "trained", even if it meant entering a quest just to confront one Wraith and then exiting to re-enter again. Such methods seemed grueling and counter to their credo, but an unpleasant task repeated teaches fastest. (How often had Calibhan heard that pass the sneering grey lips of the One).

Even with all this, would it make a difference? Were they just not powerful enough at this time to face the Chamber? No shame in that, whispered the Drow in his mind. Bide your time, lay your plans, and seek ever to weaken your opponent even it is only in preparation. Victory comes to those who plan for the whole war, not the just the battles.

Community Member

Kierik accepts the glass of red from the bar wench, throws Cogs another glare, and then settles into his chair with a contented sigh as he sips the sweet vintage.

"I could use my maximized firepower on the Wraiths - just the Wraiths. That means I don't contribute to anything else, until the very end. I think it could work."

(OOC: 3 maximized scorching rays + displacement = 33+33+33+25 = 124 SP. Multiple by 4 wraiths = 496 SP burned. That leaves me with ~250 SP for the end.)

Community Member

Tukcc looks off to the distance, as if considering the mysteries of existence....

At length, he turns to his compatriots.....

"I fear the entities dwelling in the Tomb are beyond normal turning abilities."
    "It may be that the long years of torment has, somehow, amplified their hate for all living things."

"Unless we can amass a huge amount of Arcane and/or Divine direct damage, I fear our efforts will be nil."

"It might also be wise to turn from this endeavour."

Community Member

Default Game night

Last night was a mix of success and failure, but none-the-less, fun?

With our playstyle, we normally adventure in Quests 2 levels below party level, but at Elite difficulty.
    The reasons have been discussed before.

Wilderness Adventures, on the other hand, are allways done at Normal difficulty.
    Last night, we started in the Searing Heights, a 6th Level Wilderness area.
    As not to regard Wilderness areas as merely grind areas, we randomly chose an Explorer area as an objective, with secondary objectives being wipe out encounters enroute and maybe some some mini-boss (rare) if they could be found.
    We sought out the "Southern Gate" and cleared as many enemies as we could and returned to town.

We then moved to House D and re-attempted the search for an Ogre in a deep reaches of an underground maze.
    I had the priviledge of dying first when I unknowingly destroyed an explosive barrel containing a Large Fire Elemental.
    In my own defence (grin), it was our Rogue Cogoiler who suggested destroying the barrel. (Deja-Vu?)
    In our attempt to escape, we did not return by the way we came (bad idea) and lost 2 more to a Blade Trap that we KNEW WAS THERE FROM LAST TIME!!

After this we traveled to Sorrowdusk Island to Seek out 3 Troll infested areas and rid each of it's Troll Cheiftains.
    This took quite a bit of time, but generally successful. 2 out of 3 Chieftains were found and eliminated.

All in all, the evening netted almost 10,000XP, more than our normal expectations.

On another note, as the night progressed, I noticed a sutle shift in attitudes of the players towards "Keep going, Keep Going" and (in one case) "Are we ever gonna finish a dungeon" when we suffered a death.

Having to abort a quest in the case of a death is the only adverse effect of death in our playstyle.
    I believe it is of worth.
    (It WOULD be nice if Death caused a permanent loss of Constitution)
    With the miriad of stat buffs and Tomes available, this would not aversly affect anyone, and it would GREATLY compliment our playstyle. (And maybe Perma-death style as well?)

Anyway, with our playstyle, venturing into Wilderness areas 2 levels above our level seems to be equivelent to the way we regard Dungeons.

Default Thwiiiiik.....

Ah, there's a blade trap up ahead somewhere; I see Ktorr standing by the door. Thwiiiiik.... I remember there was one just after a right turn in a corridor; ah, here comes Kierik. Thwiiiik..... Kierik and I turn and look through each other.

I think that we are much too experimental to saddle ourselves with premadeath as well. To find your limits, you sometimes see them from the far side. Which doesn't excuse walking into a trap I had no reason be near.
    Last edited by LeadHero5; 12-28-2012 at 08:28 AM.

You... listen... to.. Cogs.

Let... Cogs... go... first.

He... can... spot... traps... before... you... die... in... them.

*sips a bitter ale, wondering if speaking slowly, and using small words will work on this bunch.*

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeadHero5 View Post
    I think that we are much too experimental to saddle ourselves with premadeath as well.
    Don't worry about this, we'll never become permadeath.
    (This group wouldn't last very long.)

But I think the stat cost has merit.

Community Member

I think it might be a good idea to re-state that 5th level Traps REQUIRE a SPOT of 21!
    If you don't have 21, you won't spot Traps.

It is also Guild policy that if someone dies, the adventure objective becomes ESCAPE.
    The only exception is if you can't go back the way you came in.

Default Calibhan OOC

As far as the House D dungeon (one of the Depths), much like the case of the Wraiths, none of us have anything really effective to use against fire elementals. Think about what kinds of creatures give us the most problems. Searing Heights and we were hammering just about everything, then we came to the fire mephits and fire elemental. We had nothing really for them (we knew it). Then in the dungeon, Tukcc pops the (one and only!) explosive barrel and it looks like a Benny Hill episode, with the fire elemental chasing first Tukcc, then Kierek - with the rest of us and Grondleys Summons running around behind chasing IT (with Benny Hill music playing in the background). The two deaths after that was really the result of us letting our guard down because we were undecided if we were going to continue on or return with Tukccs carcass (uh stone). I know its been debated before, and I think its a case of the remaining wanting to include everybody in on the rewards when they die (I don't like feeling that I excluded someone), but for morale and time spent I now think the group should always press on until those remaining feel its useless (or we all die).

SO unless its some creature that's unaffected by physical damage, we KNOW we can take it, if its NOT affected by direct damage we are seriously sucking wind. We need to either take quests that have a good chance of giving an end reward that will give us some badly needed specific weapons, and/or decide on the quest and then give the casters the chance to change spells more suited to what we can expect. With our current party makeup I have no doubt we can take on any number of corporeal creature's and with a little bit of foreknowledge about the quest we chose to undertake (adventures even in D&D would be provided with a map and some background info before the party went off) we can finish dungeons and even large parts of Wilderness with a little planning.

But most importantly I want the Fellowship to know that I'm having a great time. I look forward to every Wed night and will check in on Calibhan a couple of times a week just to "go over the check list", so to speak. I think each and every one of us is a vital part of the success of the group and even when things go in the crapper I'm not disappointed. Calibhan and I of a like mind on this, aren't we Cali. Yes we are.
    Last edited by zefjoe; 12-27-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Sounds like you guys are having a blast (no pun intended with regards to the exploding barrel lol).

I think a suggestion in keeping with the spirit of PnP D&D would be (as suggested by the above poster) that when embarking on a quest that includes a creature resistant to normal damage, someone in the party might be allowed to obtain an "extra" weapon capable of dealing with said creature(s). How you obtain the weapon is up to you (AH purchase, vendor, or be allowed to keep one you find in a quest above and beyond the 1 per level limitation) but ONLY to be used for that quest, after which it must be returned.

The story line could be that a particular NPC that wants the quest accomplished has given you access to a "special" weapon (perhaps for a cost/deposit to ensure it's safe return) in order that the quest might be accomplished.

======
    The House Deniath officer who has retained your services for the undertaking looks at you with a gaze of cold stone. "I must offer you fair warning. The last patrol I sent down was nearly wiped out. Only three returned out of the nine man team that went in and they had burns covering much of their body. They spoke of a..... creature. A thing of living fire. It mearly hissed with evil laughter at the swords and axes my men weilded against it."

His cold gaze turns somewhat thoughtful as he continues. "I have a an old aquaintence, a mentor really, a warrior from the last war long since retired. He spoke to me of a weapon that might be effective against such a creature. He said that just recently he was cleaning out his old war chest and, having need of some coin for a journey he would like to take, reluctantly pawned it over at the Fare Trades. I am sure he would love to have it back. If you offer to redeem it for him, he might be willing to tell you what the weapon looks like. I am sure if you promise to return it to him undamaged he would be more than willing to let you use it for a while".

Page 36 of 133 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686 ... LastLast