Page 106 of 138 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,120 of 2746
  1. #2101
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York (EST)
    Posts
    1,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    Lol that was the BABY dragon. Fighting mama is an optional that is even more fun!
    Oh, you don't know....we laughed like heck the whole time!
    What a blast!

  2. #2102
    Community Member Fedora1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    Lol that was the BABY dragon. Fighting mama is an optional that is even more fun!
    Ha! It's only optional if you hurry up and loot and leave. Found that out the hard way the first time I did that quest.

  3. #2103
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York (EST)
    Posts
    1,249

    Default New Basic D&D Manual (Free)

    These statements are on the first page of the newest version of the D&D Basic Rules just released in PDF.

    They sound like the original concept design from 1st Edition and I would be proud to include them in my experiment Thread!

    “Unlike a game of make-believe (Arcade Super-Hero Mode), D&D gives structure to the stories, a way of determining the consequences of the adventurers’ actions. Players roll dice to resolve whether their attacks hit or miss or whether their adventurers can scale a cliff (or ladder), roll away from the strike of a magical lightning bolt, or pull off some other dangerous task. Anything is possible, but the dice make some outcomes more probable than others.”

    “Working together, the group might explore a dark dungeon, a ruined city, a haunted castle, a lost temple deep in a jungle, or a lava-filled cavern beneath a mysterious mountain. The Adventurers can solve puzzles, talk to other characters, battle fantastic monsters, and discover fabulous magic items and other treasure.”

    ALL of these are present in DDO. It's all in how you play.

    http://wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd%2Fbasicrules
    Last edited by intruder1; 07-03-2014 at 06:27 PM.

  4. #2104
    Community Member Hazelnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Canada, EST
    Posts
    1,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by intruder1 View Post
    These statements are on the first page of the newest version of the D&D Basic Rules just released in PDF.

    They sound like the original concept design from 1st Edition and I would be proud to include them in my experiment Thread!

    “Unlike a game of make-believe (Arcade Super-Hero Mode), D&D gives structure to the stories, a way of determining the consequences of the adventurers’ actions. Players roll dice to resolve whether their attacks hit or miss or whether their adventurers can scale a cliff (or ladder), roll away from the strike of a magical lightning bolt, or pull off some other dangerous task. Anything is possible, but the dice make some outcomes more probable than others.”

    “Working together, the group might explore a dark dungeon, a ruined city, a haunted castle, a lost temple deep in a jungle, or a lava-filled cavern beneath a mysterious mountain. The Adventurers can solve puzzles, talk to other characters, battle fantastic monsters, and discover fabulous magic items and other treasure.”

    ALL of these are present in DDO. It's all in how you play.

    http://wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd%2Fbasicrules
    I wonder how long before a party will be sitting in the Leaky Dingy playing D&D in DDO?

    And cool find.
    Zyinniah Hazelnut and Curissa Hazelnut on most servers.

  5. #2105
    Community Member Fricko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    296

    Default God throwing lightening bolts.....

    Sorry I bailed out on you guys, but that was third time we'd lost power that evening due to lightening nearby. Wife shouted down the stairs, "God want you OUT of that damn game tonight, so shut it down NOW!" I was forced out of game the night before for the same reason.

    Apparently it did not matter much, as Cogoiler seems to have misplaced his "Dragon Slayer Dagger", and would have hid under a pile of gold sipping a whiskey laced potion of invisibility! *wicked grin*

    -Sam

  6. #2106
    Community Member Aeryyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    High up in the hills
    Posts
    309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
    I wonder how long before a party will be sitting in the Leaky Dingy playing D&D in DDO?

    And cool find.
    So what makes you think it isn't already happening??

  7. #2107
    Community Member LeadHero5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Real World... drat
    Posts
    308

    Default Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnn.................... ...

    Quote Originally Posted by intruder1 View Post
    Close to the end, Cogs lost connection and didn't return. He told us prior that a storm was in the area.

    "And if I disconnect again, I'm drinkin whiskey"
    Go Tuc Go. Where did I see this before? Oh, yea; Cali running from a drow scorp last week.



    Quote Originally Posted by Fricko View Post
    Wife shouted down the stairs, "God want you OUT of that damn game
    God throwing lightningbolts? Wonder....
    Last edited by LeadHero5; 07-04-2014 at 11:24 AM.


    Originally posted by Aeryyn "I don't play this game for xp/min, I play for fun/hour. "

  8. #2108
    Community Member Hazelnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Canada, EST
    Posts
    1,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aeryyn View Post
    So what makes you think it isn't already happening??
    I'll accept a negative number to my inquiry.
    Zyinniah Hazelnut and Curissa Hazelnut on most servers.

  9. #2109
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York (EST)
    Posts
    1,249

    Default

    Duty calls.......
    With Kierik and Cali expected to be absent tonight, I may be late also.
    Gotta love Summer!

  10. #2110
    Community Member Fricko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    296

    Default Interesting.....

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=osTQrJ_axfc

    *hands out popcorn*

    There are more to the side... enjoy!

    -Sam

  11. #2111
    Community Member Fricko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    296

  12. #2112
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York (EST)
    Posts
    1,249

    Default Just a reflection of some ideals.........

    Quote Originally Posted by Free2Pay View Post
    Many players appear to forget why there are various classes instead of just one generic class in mmo. If you choose to play either of the robe wearing classes like Wizard and Sorcerer, you know (or should have known) that you are signing up for a glass cannon dps role by sacrificing your survivability just for that. On the opposite end, Armor wearing classes like Fighter and Paladin gain better survivability at the expense of dps too. It was this natural ability to function well in one area just by choosing a particular class that the concept of tank, dps and healer distinctive roles - a notion tried and tested - are borne from various mmo.

    No one will bother to play other classes if one class is superior to any all the other classes in term of dps, survivability and utilities. Which is sadly the case in DDO - Fighters, Barbarian and Paladins can't compete with blue bars once THE heat is on..................
    This is just one guys take on the direction of DDO. I quoted just a portion of his thoughts because it highlights what some believe is the difference between DDO and true D&D.
    (Just my opinion)

    I'm glad that Normal Difficulty still provides us a way to (somewhat) play the original way the game was designed to be.

  13. #2113
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York (EST)
    Posts
    1,249

    Default Some thoughts on Sneak Attacks

    The discussion below is new, and has some sound thoughts on Sneak Attacks.

    Quote Originally Posted by skaught78 View Post
    So after playing only 1 toon for the last three years, I decided to finally create an alt. Gonna do a rogue. Already built it and got to level 11,but am not happy with it so decided to use my free heart and try to get max speced for sneak attack damage.

    What stat decides how successful your sneak attacks are, and what stat decides how powerful they are? I can't figure out from the wiki if it's STR, DEX, or INT.

    what are some important feats to take?
    ...............
    .

  14. #2114
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by intruder1 View Post
    This is just one guys take on the direction of DDO. I quoted just a portion of his thoughts because it highlights what some believe is the difference between DDO and true D&D.
    (Just my opinion)

    I'm glad that Normal Difficulty still provides us a way to (somewhat) play the original way the game was designed to be.

    But that lack of balance is pure D&D - spellcasters rule from level 5 onwards. Was true in 1e, 2e, 3e, 3.5, Pathfinder, and seemingly will be in Next. I can't speak to 4e. But I'm willing to bet that 4e is "well balanced", because 4e was built by WotC as an MMO. Which is why it failed.

  15. #2115
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York (EST)
    Posts
    1,249

    Default

    The quote below is from the "Damage Mitigation" thread, but I see similarities to our own discussion.
    I can see why the individual is making these comments. Can you?


    Quote Originally Posted by Manganakus View Post
    Hi,
    sorry to say that, but again a Back-and-Forth change with great impact on multiple builds. Do you ever consider making changes that won't penalize players ?

    Do you ever consider the possibility to avoid people to respec, LR or TR most or part of their alt ?

    On another part, any compensation for money/time spent on alts to get the bound item/augment/(...) that will now rot in there vault because it is now useless with those changes ?
    Or are we just here to pay more and have less fun ?

    Did you at least think about an alternative (specific Enhancement, Feat, chance of failed evasion as per Spell failure , etc...) to prevent or help players cope with this ?
    On a very personnal point of view, I'm really bored to spend more time after each release of this kind to respec or TR instead of gaming.

    The opportunity to wear a Heavy Shield while keeping Evasion is here from the very beggining of the game (I'm here since the very first day...when Med ad Heavy armour were buggy and did not prevent Evasion...), so why again change known and accepted game mechanics ?

    Did you consider that maybe quest design, item and mob balance lead to that kind of 'rebalancing' ?

    Rebalancing quests and items would be widely accepted, while I think changing the core rules all the time depending on where the wind blow is not.

  16. #2116
    Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council
    TrinityTurtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Findlay, OH
    Posts
    3,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
    I wonder how long before a party will be sitting in the Leaky Dingy playing D&D in DDO?

    And cool find.
    Much as I love DDO, roll20.net is free, has a much better voice chat program, video chat so you can see each other if desired, and best of all, a map screen that everyone can see, and move their 'mini' around on and write notes on, etc. etc. It's a lot better for long distance pen and paper gaming in my personal opinion.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

    Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

  17. #2117
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York (EST)
    Posts
    1,249

    Default Equipment Repair

    Well, after observing for a month, the mechanics of Equipment (Self-) Repair actually look interesting as an additional challenge factor.

    If left alone (as in do NOT repair), some equipment actually self-repairs after a few hours. A piece of equipment that becomes broken, and un-equipable, will completely repair itself after a period of time.
    Normal Non-Magic Gear does not self-repair, while a bit more than half of any Magic Gear will self-repair.
    I do not know for sure what decides which Magic Gear will repair, but the stuff that does...... always will, over and over, while stuff that does not.....never will.

    Out of the 11 pieces that my character wears, 5 have unrepairable (I will call permanent) damage.
    It is my intent to discard anything that becomes un-equipable AND will not self-repair as a reflection of equipment that I am unable to repair.

    As I have said before to our Guild, this is not a suggestion to become a guideline, but is a voluntary action to compensate for the "I get to keep this for life!" attitude the DDO MMO embodies.

    There are many things you can do to make DDO challenging besides having 1000HP Kobolds and Arcade Superhero Player Characters.
    (IMHO)

  18. #2118
    Community Member Fedora1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,956

    Default

    I wonder if the repairing has to do with "bound" equipment? BTC/BTA equipment never takes permanent damage, so perhaps it also repairs over time?

  19. #2119
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York (EST)
    Posts
    1,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    I wonder if the repairing has to do with "bound" equipment? BTC/BTA equipment never takes permanent damage, so perhaps it also repairs over time?
    Interesting idea, but I don't have any bound equipment. Since our group does not take End Rewards, none of us have any bound items.
    The only way we attain Magic Items is through Breakables and 10% of Chests.

    Chest open percentages.......
    Lvl 1-10....10%....2 tries
    Lvl 11-13...20%...2 tries
    Lvl 14-16...30%...2 tries
    Lvl 17-19...40%...2 tries
    Lvl 20........50%...2 tries

    Our playstyle only uses the Random Loot Generator.

  20. #2120
    Community Member Fedora1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by intruder1 View Post
    Interesting idea, but I don't have any bound equipment. Since our group does not take End Rewards, none of us have any bound items.
    The only way we attain Magic Items is through Breakables and 10% of Chests.

    Chest open percentages.......
    Lvl 1-10....10%....2 tries
    Lvl 11-13...20%...2 tries
    Lvl 14-16...30%...2 tries
    Lvl 17-19...40%...2 tries
    Lvl 20........50%...2 tries

    Our playstyle only uses the Random Loot Generator.

    Bound items can show up in chests. Also you can bind an item at the stone of change with the right collectables.

Page 106 of 138 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload