Page 98 of 133 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 2654

Cogoiler may be a bit late this evening. Picking up dogs from groomers, and they are running much later than normal.

Community Member

Fun night, guys! Kierik picked up a devotion sceptre and a deathblock buckler. Great haul for one night, especially considering we booked.

Tukcc, will our friendly wizard vendor be posting his wares anytime soon?

Default Animate Ally...

Picked up a new enhancement I thought would increase our resurrection capabilities; but useless. Description says that the zombie will rot over time until death reclaims it. Didn't say that it would happen in a minute. I can't imagine what use this could be since I could hardly keep him going with my death aura running. If you want this to be used (even if only by the most austere groups) at all, it needs to be marginally useful. I want to try this out in a more controlled way; wonder which guildie I can convince to get killed and then be 'reanimated'; hmmmmm.

One of my favorite qualifications for an lfm was 'be able to solo a tower'. Well a tower pretty much soloed us. Chamber of Raiyum was very long and after getting through one of the towers, we were just overwhelmed by the respawns, curses, and mummy rot. With Jac gone, everyone but me out of spells, Tuk cursed and barely able to move; we made a break for the entrance. Not a complete waste; I picked up a draining kukri which can give me 4 temporary spell points. That is a free magic missle.

We were strong enough to handle an encounter, but don't have the capacity for the sheer number of encounters you face in there. Dear Devs, between the spinning blade traps to keep us away from doors, and the 'doors slam shut when monster appears' you really kept us jumping.

Originally posted by Aeryyn "I don't play this game for xp/min, I play for fun/hour. "

All that really happened???!!! I was hoping it was another of my THACO inspired nightmares! *Face/palm*

On the up side... (Of course there was an up side!) ...Cogs did get to open two chests, one that held a weird sword what knew not it's father, and acquire another pretty Docent to add to the large collection! *nodnodnodnod*

Community Member

Thanks guys! Even though this quest obviously contained more than we could handle, your attitude is clearly "We had fun!".
    It is natural that facing the events that we faced, you would say "We NEED stuff to be successful here!".
    But having fun in "Classic" D&D does not mean everthing turns out the way we expect. It would be boring if it did.

I can imagine continuously collecting "Docents" (which we still have no idea what these are! ) is pretty fustrating, but since no one else is finding them, it MUST just be you.

"Chamber of Raiyum" is one of those Quests we will probably bypass because we simply don't have the resources.
    This playstyle accepts this as a fact of life.

I will post an updated "inventory" from Eziekiel shortly for Gem turn-in.
    I will also try to balance the Treasure Table results away from "Combat Oriented" by putting non-Combat items in the list.
    This will make gems represent a treasure item.

We will now receive treasure in 3 ways.
    Breakables, 10% of any Chests found and 1st Edition Treasure items traded for Gems.
    By using 1st Ed treasure table, items will be useful to our playstyle without including the DDO Arcade stuff.
    This will still NOT guarantee any minimum level of Magic Items found per Quest.
    It will ever be that you can not be sure of any result when we play.
    You may not find any Magic Items, may not even gain any Experience, heck, you may not even get out consious!
    But you will definetly laugh, cry, yell and otherwise have a lot of fun!

For any who don't know us........
    We play DDO on "NORMAL" difficulty, nothing else.
    We are not Permadeath..........death is a state that is tougher to recover from that injuries. Only a high level Cleric can revive someone in this "Coma".
    There are no Shrines.
    Potions and Scrolls are not available to buy. The only way you get them is to TAKE them from Monsters.
    There are no "Buffs"..... Guild, Patron or otherwise. Clerics and Wizards provide these "protections".

Playing Normal Difficulty REQUIRES building and playing your character in a certain way, and if you do, Normal can be very difficult.
    Just ask any of our group.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeadHero5 View Post
    I picked up a draining kukri which can give me 4 temporary spell points. That is a free magic missle.
    Can I assume correctly that these 4 temporary spell points stack with the 13 spell points you get from Echoes? If so, that means you get to use 2nd level spells when on Echoes? Cause that would be cool.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by intruder1 View Post
    I will post an updated "inventory" from Eziekiel shortly for Gem turn-in.
    We now have a Remove Curse wand. Hopefully soon we'll get a Cure Disease wand too - I'll send you those gems when its available, Tukkc. Just let me know. With these two wands, we could have gone much deeper into that tower. I think we need (as a team) to make better use of our gems.

Suggestion: let Tukcc hold all the gems that we find (actually, he doesn't need the gems, just a running total). He can provide the team with a running tally of its value whenever he posts Eziekiel's inventory. Then, as a team, we can choose what we want from the list. I think this is the best way to get us what we need to go deeper into quests.

Quote Originally Posted by Magiker View Post
    Can I assume correctly that these 4 temporary spell points stack with the 13 spell points you get from Echoes? If so, that means you get to use 2nd level spells when on Echoes? Cause that would be cool.
    I bet they stack, but even so the timing might be hard since the spell points from the draining only last 60 seconds IIRC. So you have to roll a 20 in melee combat to get the 4SP that last 60 seconds. Then within that 60 seconds you need to "have a need" for a spell. So I am wondering if it is even worth using such a weak weapon like a kukri in the first place when you could be doing more damage with something else. I am not up on the proficiencies of a wizard so maybe it's as good as anything else? Is it worth stopping in the middle of attacking with melee to cast a magic missile?

Community Member

Grondley is doing great "researching" strengths and weaknesses of things pertaining to Wizardry that he finds and/or attains.
    I have urged him to do "his own" research, thus role-playing the character that he is.

Discovery of abilities (and detrements) is a D&D staple.

Our Rogue too, wanders Stormreach practicing his talents, thus getting used to what he can and can not accomplish.

I say to all of our Guild......repitition of your talents and skills is your best teacher.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    I bet they stack, but even so the timing might be hard since the spell points from the draining only last 60 seconds IIRC. So you have to roll a 20 in melee combat to get the 4SP that last 60 seconds. Then within that 60 seconds you need to "have a need" for a spell. So I am wondering if it is even worth using such a weak weapon like a kukri in the first place when you could be doing more damage with something else. I am not up on the proficiencies of a wizard so maybe it's as good as anything else? Is it worth stopping in the middle of attacking with melee to cast a magic missile?
    I wouldn't expect him to do anything with it in the middle of the fight - using it for Magic Missile during the fight would be useless. Better to fight with a heavier weapon as you suggest.

But after the fight, he would be able to cast something like Blur or Lesser Death Aura which would normally be denied to him on Echoes. That right there makes the item pretty valuable in our playstyle.
    Last edited by Magiker; 04-04-2014 at 12:57 PM.

Default Mixed combat...

using such a weak weapon like a kukri in the first place when you could be doing more damage with something else.
    Just as soon as we roll a 1 to 'find' that elusive treasure!!

The kurki is +3 draining and flaming, base damage 7.48 which is the best of all my weapons and it's level 12. I have a mouse with 12 thumb buttons; so while I'm fighting something, I just fire off a 'free' MM for 20-25 damage; better to use it then lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Magiker View Post
    he would be able to cast something like Blur or Lesser Death Aura.
    That is a good idea, I'll watch for that when 'running on empty'.
    Last edited by LeadHero5; 04-06-2014 at 03:19 PM.

Originally posted by Aeryyn "I don't play this game for xp/min, I play for fun/hour. "

Just as soon as we roll a 1 to 'find' that elusive treasure!!

The kurki is +3 draining and flaming, base damage 7.48 which is the best of all my weapons and it's level 12. I have a mouse with 12 thumb buttons; so while I'm fighting something, I just fire off a 'free' MM for 20-25 damage; better to use it then lose it.

That is a good idea, I'll watch for that when 'running on empty'.
    Oh okay, so are you a pure mage? No other proficiencies? That's not too bad then.

Twelve thumb buttons? You must have some serious dexterity, did you use a +5 tome in real life?

Community Member

I have had an idea rolling around for a long time now about making gems a bit more valuable and at the same time, trying to enhance "treasure" in our playstyle.
    Initially, I started a vendor that would collect gems and provide some items that were not combat oriented, but were needed just the same.

The DMG reminds us that Treasure must be carefully monitored or it can quickly unbalance the game.
    Realize....to the D&D rulebooks, there is only one difficulty. Elite does not exist.

In our playstyle, as well as PnP, Magic Items that were consumable are important and will not unbalance the campaign, or at least not for very long.
    What i am going to try is to have gems represent random magic items that would be found on an adventure, (but are currently not appearing in sufficient quantity) along with Combat stuff, as it should.

The Magic Items used in this will be things like Potions, Scrolls, Ammo, and Wands.
    When a character turns in a number of gems, a "grab bag" of items will be given in return for the characters use or to share with the party.

This will not only find a good use for gems, but might answer outcries my group has made about access to more non-melee items.

It ended up quite surprisingly that the relative cost of an item could also represent its rarity.
    When a character gathers a group of gems, their total value will select random items from adventure to adventure.
    I am going to try this concept out on Wednesday night.
    Last edited by intruder1; 04-07-2014 at 09:19 AM.

Community Member

Default "Searching" the breakables

Disclaimer: This is merely my oppinion.

I think I have noticed something in breakables.

Certain characters may be having better luck when searching thru breakables.
    I suspect a characters Search Skill plays a part.

When opened, a breakable rolls against the characters Search Skill DIVIDED by the Total Character Level on a d20.

I think I have noticed something in breakables..
    Speaking of noticing things in regard to breakables - I have noticed consistently that certain quests have a higher rate of items in breakables.

Example - the wilderness area of Sorrowdusk. High drop rate, and higher ML of items that do drop compared to any other quest/wilderness in the same level range.

I have 16 characters on my main server, and all but maybe two have run Sorrowdusk, and every time the drops/drop rate stands out to me.

Default I've never noticed that...

Certain characters may be having better luck when searching thru breakables.
    I had a rogue and a sorc that were a couple of levels apart (until I tr'd the rogue) and you can imagine the difference is search they would have. From the high 40's to under 10 at level 20. While an interesting 'D&D' mechanic, I don't see the game going to that effort in programming. Plus it's unfair to the search challenged.

Oh okay, so are you a pure mage?
    Yep, in THACO we are pure or even splits.

The 'gaming' mouse was a big investment for me, but it was worth it. It does take some getting used to, but it helps with combat. The best part is I have a button linked to the skeley's 'interact' button. I look at the lever; and Jac runs over and opens it for us.

I have 16 characters on my main server
    You must have serious organizational skills.
    Last edited by LeadHero5; 04-08-2014 at 09:14 AM.

You must have serious organizational skills.
    No, alt-o-holism is a disease. lol

Community Member

Guys, apologies for not attending last night. I had to attend a town meeting, and it ran over by quite a lot. I have more town meetings next week, so I won't be around then either.

Community Member

Last gamenight the party completed "Diplomatic Impunity".....just barely.
    If it weren't for our Undead Adventurerer, the outcome would not have been a good one!

We also were lucky enough to find Treasure in the end boss's lair. (rolled a "2" on a d10)
    After sorting out the things we found, anyone with gems traded them for a grab-bag of Magic Items based on the total value of the Gems.
    These consisted of random Potions, Scrolls, Enchanted Arrows and even a Divine Healing Wand.
    The list of items were all dice-rolled from the 1st Edition DMG Treasure tables.

Again, the reason we tried this was because with the ability to buy all this stuff freely in Ebberon, and our playstyle not allowing it, the treasure DDO places in Chests does not fully follow the tables in the DMG and we suffer from not being able to gain it.

After turning in their "tokens", the party was able to share and cross-level the items just as if the items were IN the chest.......and gave us yet another opportunity to role-play our D&D characters.

I would like the guys to comment on what they thought about this.....either here or via PM.

Default I like the idea...

Adventurers generally won't take on a quest that they don't have a chance at (however slim that is Cogs) and this adds to our capacity to quest and adds another layer of difficulty as we keep track of more items to use. And hey, we must have some reputation in Stormreach! The powers that be are still asking for our help to rid the city of various blights.

There is quite a bit of stuff that is either OP or useless to me.

Dragonmarks are out, skill boost?,action surge(dex?) healing amp (I'm dead Jim) and no Hero

SLA, crits and Jac are out; animate 2 minutes and ding. I am a little confused about if I've used up all the PM stuff, is the human now legit.

One side game here is trying to justify something to Tukcc and seeing how he shoots it down and then I grease him.

Page 98 of 133 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108 ... LastLast