Page 95 of 138 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 2747
    Community Member

Default It's been a long road.....

This week, the experiment to play DDO along Classic D&D precepts will reach 2 years.......and still does not have an end in sight!

The group is currently 5 players.....2 VIPs, 2 Premium and 1 Free. (The only difference between Prem and Free seems to be whether a player has bought ANYTHING. )
    During the 2 years, we have had 1 player Loss and 1 Gain, with a second Loss just recently, though he should be returning at some point in the future.
    Level is 11-12. Mix is FTR/CLR, ROG, WIZ, RGR and BRD. Classes are either pure or 50/50, no splashes.
    There are very little restrictions in gear because the only gear you get is by only opening 10% of Chests found in Quests, or whatever is found in Breakables. No End Rewards at all.
    We never use Shrines, nor are we able to purchase anything other than mundane, non-magic Items.

Our adventures consist of playing "At Level" Quests on Normal Difficulty and never re-running a Quest that has been completed, even by a lone survivor.
    We are not PermaDeath, but if killed without another character to resurrect, the player recalls and wanders in a Wilderness appropriate to their Level until the Party completes what they are doing.
    At 2-3 hours per week, that equates to 8-12 hours a month. A length of time somewhat equivalent to my old PnP games.
    Level progression has been 12-14 Weeks between levels, though at this level it is becoming longer for the party to advance, plus the advent of dying and the dreaded VIP 10% is taking it's toll in widening the XP difference of each of the players.

DDO is a "front-loaded" game. Meaning it's almost impossible NOT to be over-powered in Normal Difficulty right from the beginning.
    In order to not restrict Magic Items, it was necessary to restrict options in character creation, skills, feats and enhancements.
    While one character (mine) is not allowed any Enhancement Tree other than Racial, the others have had a minimum of 10 points to be the FIRST points spent in ANY Tree.
    Rogues had to have abilities in Trapping and Opening Locks held back or they would never fail.
    Arcanes had to have abilities held back that advanced INT, Spell DC's and Spell Point abuses or they quickly overtook the potential of other characters.
    Rangers AND Rogues have had to have abilities in Stealthing held back or they would never be SEEN!
    It's been a tough road forcing these restrictions down the throats of the group, but I have the privilege of gaming with some of the best player characters I've ever met!

I have a couple requests for a new party to begin, but need a Party Leader that is capable to do the job, and experience has shown that a party should consist of at least 5 players.
    With voice chat, this is probably the closest to "sitting around the table" D&D that I have seen. It is GREAT fun!

Turbine, in it's attempt to cater to the arcade DDO, is also making changes to Normal Difficulty which is further aligning it with Classic D&D(they just don't advertise them).......I like that.
    Hopefully, DDO will continue for another 10 years and this group will either meet their Doom against Monsters that they can not hope to defeat or rise to exalted potential and retire to the rocking chair on the porch and watch younger adventurers follow in their footsteps.
    Last edited by intruder1; 02-09-2014 at 08:00 AM.

Community Member

Default Anatomy of a DDO Quest

Today I did a seemingly irrelevant thing. I spent a few hours documenting everything I could pertaining to a D&D PnP adventure module for the “Depths of…….” quest group in House D.
    Why? I wanted to see just how they stacked up to criteria for typical Dungeon Design.

That group of quests is SO similar to a typical dungeon crawl, it’s laughable!

Here’s what I came up with for the first 2…….

2 Modules (Level 4)
    Potential XP 1150+1350
    Number of Players participating: 2 FTR, 1 ROG (Lvl 4)

Separate Encounters……
    14 Minor Wandering Monster (1-3 Monsters, CR <=3)
    1 Normal Wandering Monster (2 Monsters, CR 4-5)
    8 Normal Encounters in Lair(Chest!) (1-3 Monsters, CR 4-5)
    0 Hard Encounters in Lair

Quote from DMG…..
    “Dungeons usually have 10-12 Encounters…”
    “50% of Encounters should be Equal to Party Strength”
    “25% of Encounters should be Weak, 15% Hard and 5% Almost Impossible”
    With 14 Weak and 9 Equal out of 23, I’d rate these Adventures as Easier than Most.

Treasure…….
    Close Examination of all areas (Breakables), resulted in …..
    400gp in Gems
    300sp
    300cp
    Potion: Oil of Moderate Repair

Treasure found in Lairs (Chests) are described as what was “Available” from the DDO LootGen, and Each Chest was “rerolled” once to get a larger sample size.

1400 gp in Gems
    460 gp
    2400 gp in Essences
    +1 L Shield
    +2 Morningstar
    +2 Rapier
    +1 Keen Sword of Riposte
    +1 Frost Handaxe
    +1 Quarterstaff of Riposte
    +1 Poison Battleaxe
    Goggles: Nat Arm +2
    +2 B Sword
    +2 Thun B Sword
    Ring of Repair +5
    +2 Dagger
    +1 Frost Longsword
    +1 Keen Pick Slowburst
    +1 Greatsword
    +1 Greatsword (correct…twice)
    Remember, this is PER CHARACTER (though a Max of 4 Magic Items could be chosen)
    Note 14 out of 16 were “Arms and Armor”? 87.5%?
    I realize DDO is a Combat Oriented Game, therefore the LOOTGEN prob runs this way.
    (This is JUST comparison, not criticism. )

I took this from the DMG….
    (Note this results in ONE item per encounter, not per person)
    Level 4 Treasure (In Lair)
    30% chance to receive (1) from the following……
    4% Armor
    5% Weapon
    34% Potion
    2% Ring
    34% Scroll
    9% Wand
    8% Wondrous?

Finally, as an End Reward, these are what were offered….
    Only 2 could have been chosen. (gp values are included for comparison)

+2 Acid Hvy Mace 16000
    +1 L Mace Shattering 16000
    +2 Quarterstaff Shattering 16000
    +1 Shockproof Leather Armor Hammerblock 16000
    +2 Belt Dex 12000
    Soundproof Gloves Speed 12000
    +1 F Plate Deathblock 16000
    +1 H Plate Deathblock 8000

I hope this was at least as entertaining to read as it was to tell.

Community Member

I might be late tonight. Hope not. 8pm at the latest. Don't wait for me, I can catch up.

EDIT: I won't make it tonight. Apologies.
    Last edited by Magiker; 02-12-2014 at 07:54 PM.

Community Member

Default Is Turbine losing DDO

OK.......the title is misleading.
    Picked up these comments from 2011 and curious if anyone knows anything.

Quote Originally Posted by mystafyi View Post
    middle of 2015 turbine loses the ability to operate DDO.
    but that being said, there was just a sealed settlement and we dont know what was in that agreement. If there was no changes, then turbine would stop all development/support around the middle/end of 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaid314 View Post
    the only forgotten realms MMO you're likely to see in the future is one based on the 4th edition realms. if you were a fan of any previous edition of the forgotten realms, odds are good you're going to spend more time being angry than happy, i suspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by simo0208 View Post
    Legally, IP (intellectual property) is all negotiable, so anything is technically on the table. However, without a license or a deal, the game would have to shut down. Doing anything else would force Wizards to hand over the D&D licensure to EVERYONE.

My guess is a deal is sturck, DDO buys the Eberron IP from Wizards, with the deal the Wizards can continue to publish Eberron source material for pnp D&D and the game becomes Eberron Online.

I would LOVE this because the game would no longer be constrained by bad D&D rules that dont' fit an MMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ameiko View Post
    When the time for license renewal comes, if it comes, i realy doubt that DDO will be based on 3.5 anymore
    It will be 4th, 5th or 6th edition by then... And then im leaving.
    Pathfinder ftw!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyopa View Post
    Really? You went to something like the 100th page or whatever to find this thread and you actually think anything discussed previously is at all in the pipeline? *rolls eyes*

Community Member

(oppinion follows.....for party consideration only)
    Take D&D rules, ver 3.5, and design a combat MMO around it, allowing mix and match abilities from prestige classes starting from the beginning at Level one, and that is DDO.

This is a recipe for making Normal Difficulty too easy.
    Assume Normal DOES present obstacles that NORMAL D&D characters can overcome.
    Skill and Spell Focuses are not needed.
    Most Enhancements (Prestige Classes) are not needed. (and the 3.5 DMG states that Prestige Classes in general, be used sparingly)

Please PM me and discuss the pros and cons of Enhancements in general.
    Do not make any changes to your characters.

Community Member

Default Compensating for VIP 10% for Guildmembers

For those not VIP, if you still retained the lesser(xp) tome, use it now.
    If not, I will attempt to give you the ~1000 TP to purchase one.
    If not, it's your choice to spend the $8.

Community Member

Newest gem......
    Quote Originally Posted by Portalcat View Post
    I'm counting a +5(!) boost to Necro DCs in U21 right now, with Necro Focus 6 on one caster stick, Wyrmic Potency on the other stick, +1 from the robe, and +1 available with epic completionist.

U21 is looking like Christmas in February.

Quote Originally Posted by Andoris View Post
    I would be careful on how soon you celebrate -- we haven't seen how high they have inflated the mob's saves yet. Getting a +5 to DC's mean nothing, if the saves go up by 10.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by A Proud Zerger
    ......... they said I was zerging and getting us "Dungeion Alerts", they then spent 5 minutes talking about "element of surprise" or whatnot, how it was making it harder for the party. I stopped going ahead altogether and hey.. team missing runes because there's no one leading them, team not getting levers.

A zerger always provides leadership for the party, they go ahead and get things done, sometimes they get in trouble, heck they get in trouble 80% of the time....
    ....... but they're what keeps the party going................
    Sound like anyone we know?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by intruder1 View Post
    (oppinion follows.....for party consideration only)

.....Please PM me and discuss the pros and cons of Enhancements in general.
    Do not make any changes to your characters.
    Did you miss this request?

Community Member

Default Gamenight!

Last night we spent 3 LONG hours exploring the Quest "The Enemy Within".
    As this is becoming the Norm for our group, this was another "white-knuckle", "Edge of our seats" adventure!

First of all.....I have been required to announce........Cogoiler DID NOT DIE!.....not once!
    That does not mean he didn't have pulmonary rececitaion handy.........
    And his libation quickly changed from Elvish Evening Tea to Potions of Plentiful Bravery!

The new type of trap was the "pit trap", which our Ranger quickly developed a healthy respect for......avoiding!
    Our spell assets quickly diminished as we encountered formidable adventuring "peers" under the diabolical control
    of nasty Mind-Flayers. Many times, one or more of our number fell to their attacks. Tukcc was kept quite busy reviving the fallen.

An exception to some of the abuse was the Pale Master, Grondley Drexelhand. His presence un-nerved most of us, even though we knew him
    for the fellow adventurer he was.
    His "undead" form took the shape of a red-eyed, blood sucking Vampire and if his eyes inadvertantly met yours, it sent a chill down your spine.

On more than a couple occasions, we were assaulted by "Acid Rain" that caused most of us to retreat in searing pain. When we recovered our senses,
    we would gaze back to the attack site to behold Grondley....standing there, in the middle of the caustic deluge......smiling and grining with a deep unearthly
    pleasure that caused us to wonder..........

During our adventure, only once did we discover any monsters that possessed any Treasure. But from that, we gained a half dozen Magic Items that were of value!
    How much more could you ask for?

All in all, the night was yet again......vastly enjoyable!
    My thanks goes out to the THAC0 FELLOWSHIP for their cooperation and faith in this playstyle experiment.........
    Dungeons and Dragons......the way it was INTENDED to be played.

Community Member

There is a discussion going on within the group concerning Enhancements. Participation is voluntary, but not participating means you accept whatever the outcome.
    Kierik and Ktorr have yet to contribute.

Community Member

There is a discussion going on within the group concerning Enhancements. Participation is voluntary, but not participating means you accept whatever the outcome.

Reply sent.

Community Member

Ktorr wishes to contribute that he has nothing to contribute.

Default Green is acid and undead aura...

we were assaulted by "Acid Rain" that caused most of us to retreat in searing pain. When we recovered our senses,
    we would gaze back to the attack site to behold Grondley....standing there, in the middle of the caustic deluge......smiling and grining with a deep unearthly
    pleasure
    The greenish yellow fog that appears around us, stings me as much as you, the writhing aura around the skeletal mages; that's the same as my death aura. It heals me a point or 2 every second. That's what I was basking in. And because of that, it turns out that I can 'hit things with sticks' and deal a little damage. I have to stick close to Jac when he's in combat to keep him 'alive'. I'm not sure if MY aura is healing THEM or not. I'll have to try Red Fens and Catacombs to see exactly is going on.

Another now obvious fact is you can't raise dead if they are undead while they are dead. (does that make any sense?) Have to release the vampire form to be brought back.

Originally posted by Aeryyn "I don't play this game for xp/min, I play for fun/hour. "

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeadHero5 View Post
    The greenish yellow fog that appears around us, stings me as much as you, the writhing aura around the skeletal mages; that's the same as my death aura. It heals me a point or 2 every second. That's what I was basking in. And because of that, it turns out that I can 'hit things with sticks' and deal a little damage. I have to stick close to Jac when he's in combat to keep him 'alive'. I'm not sure if MY aura is healing THEM or not. I'll have to try Red Fens and Catacombs to see exactly is going on.

Another now obvious fact is you can't raise dead if they are undead while they are dead. (does that make any sense?) Have to release the vampire form to be brought back.
    Are you able to release form while dead?

Default Getting technical...

Yes, the undead forms are an 'enhancement' you activate. It costs spell points (a lot) but it runs till you stop it. I didn't think about that status until Tukcc seemed to be taking a long time to bring me back. I then saw that I was still 'undead' and clicked it off; then I could be raised as a living being. The same thing happens in public space if I'm in undead form, I don't regen hp but I do regen sp.

Originally posted by Aeryyn "I don't play this game for xp/min, I play for fun/hour. "

Community Member

It's begining to be clear that, without restraint, the combination of starting a new character with a high Primary stat, adding the 4 ranks for initial skills, then adding
    skill focus and spell focus feats, then adding lower tier enhancements that affect trapping (for Rogues) and Spell DC's (for Arcanes) makes these characters overpowered for Normal Difficulty.
    Having said that, this procedure is prob required to operate in harder difficulties.

A number of individual enhancements also unbalance a character for Normal. There are things that just are not neccessary for this Difficulty level.

You have to remember, We (this group), is in the minority as far as DDO is concerned. The game is an Arcade Combat Game, using concepts from Dungeons and Dragons, but is not the role-playing game as it's name might suggest.

It IS possible to play the classic way, but it requires MUCH restriction, as we are learning these past 2 years.

The goal must include insuring, as I read in an old Dragon Magazine YEARS ago, "Give the Monsters a Chance". This means as long as characters have 90%+ chance to Disarm, Hit, land spell effects, the game isn't going to be "role-playing", but just "Arcade".

And Treasure.......everybody wants Treasure. But you also have to insure that the Magic Items don't also tip the scales with an already "topped out" character abilities.

The solution may just be as simple as eliminating the "High/Low" mentality.

Start a character out with "Flatline" Stats. All 12 and/or 13, depending on 28 or 32 build pool. Highest should be a Primary of 14.
    Alternatively, assign build points (not the stats themselves) using a d10, then lower dice size as the pool goes below 10.
    This gives some randomness and the slight chance for something "special".

Do not choose the Feats Skill Focus nor Spell Focus. Nimble and other feats should be ok.

This experiment is going to focus right now on how to regard the Prestige Classes. The choices are Racial only, Prestige only(single tree) or None.
    Dragonmarks are un-nessessary. As are SLA's and anything similar to an SLA.

If anyone outside our group has an oppinion on any of this, I would listen as I want to gather any and all intel I can.

Community Member

Save DCs are really tricky. Take a bard for example. In an undead heavy campaign, I expect very little success (if any) for my save-based magic. But in a giant/humanoid campaign, I'd expect a higher than average amount of success. If there is a lack of balance (both ways) in individual games but a decent balance overall, is that acceptable? I'm not sure. We play only once a week for a few hours, so maximizing every gamenight seems important. But it might be the best we can get? At least Grondley and Kierik are complementary (necromancy, enchantment) so we shouldn't see both being dominant any given night.

Ktorr seems to have the dominant build at the moment. He also leads the death count lately.

For enhancements, would certain trees be eliminated to keep players away from the unbalancing stuff? For my bard: Spellsinger contains plenty of DC buffs, Warchanter doesn't have anything particularly unbalancing, and the halfling racial tree only supports rogue types. So warchanter would be my choice as a bard in this group. Is this the general direction we're heading?

What happens if all the trees have unbalancing elements? Looking at the wizard trees, I see that Pale Master has the overpowered "Jack" and Arch Mage has SLAs and DC buffs. Would a wizard need to choose Eldritch Knight or Racial? (EDIT: not trying to pick on you, Grondley. I tend to play arcane types, so I'm mostly familiar with these classes/trees.)
    Last edited by Magiker; 02-22-2014 at 10:21 AM.

If anyone outside our group has an oppinion on any of this, I would listen as I want to gather any and all intel I can.
    I'm curious if you intend to address basic combat and combat feats as well. I see a lot of work going towards preventing 100% success in rogue skills and casters spell DC's, but no one seems to have a problem with everyone hitting monsters nearly 100% of the time.

That alone makes everyone in DDO OP'd from a Classic standpoint in my opinion.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Varhann View Post
    I'm curious if you intend to address basic combat and combat feats as well. I see a lot of work going towards preventing 100% success in rogue skills and casters spell DC's, but no one seems to have a problem with everyone hitting monsters nearly 100% of the time.

That alone makes everyone in DDO OP'd from a Classic standpoint in my opinion.
    That hasn't been a problem. Our guys miss quite often!
    But yes, it's under observation.

Page 95 of 138 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105 ... LastLast