Page 77 of 133 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187127 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,540 of 2654
    2015 DDO Players Council Hazelnut's Avatar

Default Bonus Days!

It's +1 bonus loot until Sunday. We need to have a special session for the Monday group so we get at least one special item. What's DDO without a little bit of twinking?
    Zyinniah Hazelnut and Curissa Hazelnut on most servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Fricko View Post
    This old man is very sorry to see Fedora1 leave, and hopes his adventures in Ghallandra are both enlightening and profitable. You added to my enjoyment of the game, and for that I thank you.

-Sam
    Hey, thanks so much! You are a riot and tons of fun to quest with.

Quote Originally Posted by intruder1 View Post
    As destiny unfolds it's plans for each of us, sometimes it means we part company.
    Farewell Fedora. Fair thee well and know there are no ill feelings.
    Thanks intruder! It made for several months of fantastic fun, and when all is said and done you deserve the credit for luring me in with your chronicalling of the THACO experiment in this thread. Best wishes to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
    It's +1 bonus loot until Sunday. We need to have a special session for the Monday group so we get at least one special item. What's DDO without a little bit of twinking?
    Uhoh! Now you've done it! Intruder is going to cancel all questing until this diabolical loot bonus is over and done!

Community Member

Last night's adventuring was done missing 2 characters. Since we wanted to maintain any open chains and we had completed just about all stand alone Quests, we opted to re-play "Stromvauld's Mine", an 8th Level Quest on Normal.
    The composition was heavy "Stealth" characters and everyone kept a generous distance from Tukcc and his noisy Armor and Shield!

It was easier than I remember (when we were 9th level) and no one died!

It is sad that Undying Call, as a Feat, no longer works. I hope Turbine takes note and maybe addresses this.

The Ranger, Rogue and Bard did an excellent job sneaking about and the Quest was quite a bit of fun.
    Tho keeping an eye on our Ranger is getting to be a full time occupation.

All in all, the Quest netted 8,000 XP for VIPs and ~7200 XP for FTPs.
    No Magic Items were discovered in breakables and only 1 Chest was opened.
    End rewards were Valor/Reknown only. (Which probably lessened the effect of the Renown penalty we recieved.)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
    But we aren't playing DDO, are we.

The forum says "DDO", the client has a big "DDO" logo. Just because we make a few choices to turn an otherwise too easy game into something more fun and challenging doesn't mean we aren't playing the game. It's just a different play style.

So very true, intruder1. Sometimes we forget, especially those of us with more than one character (I have 15 on Thelanis alone!) playing the original DDO by Turbine's rule-set. What we are attempting, in recreating magic poor PnP style play with Turbine's magic rich Eberron game, is not an easy task. Taking on the quests and monsters in them with less than optimum equipment, weapons, and spell craft is going to require careful thought and planning from each player in how his or her character approaches their "game". Do you remember doing just that when getting ready for the table-top campaign where dice were rolled by hand, and maps were charted one hex at a time as you advanced into the unknown?

Let us not forget the role of the all powerful Dungeon Master, who kept us "toeing the line" on the rules, preventing any player from garnering unfair advantage via "creative maneuvers", or trying to "fudge the numbers" on powers or items. I see intruder1 as our "PnP DM", overseeing the rules and striving to keep the PnP "feel and flavor" in a computer game not really set up for that to happen. Tukcc and Manatarmss are NOT the DM.... but I suspect they are reporting back to the Master on a regular basis!

Because of Turbin's constant "tinkering" with the game we play inside of, we must also change our own rule set from time to time. Changes must also occur as we advance in level and quests change in difficulty and in requirements necessary for success. I am afraid that we are stuck with occasional changes to our rules as time and "tinkering" advances. Sad, but true. Thankfully, intruder is managing to keep change to a minimum, and holds fast to core concepts we all held at the beginning of THACO Guild formation. I'm sticking to DM intruder1's leadership, as he has gotten us this far with a total riot of fun and laughter, so much like PnP that it is hard to tell the difference at times.

Don't listen to Cogoiler's complaints about intruder1's... intrusiveness... Cogs is often deep in some fermented beverage container, and not very wise to start with! Listen when the DM speaks!

-Sam *now to try to follow my own advice, darn it!*

Default Really...

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    I think I am going to go ahead and bow out of THACO.

Not a complete shock. I have similar feelings about how things are going. I look forward to playing with our group on Sundays, but I prefer to pick a rule set and stick with it and see how it plays out. The weekly tinkering is getting to be a bit distracting. At some point you just can't fit a square peg into a round hole, no matter how much you try.

Default Gonna miss you two...

Had great times and tons o fun. Go with good fortune.

Originally posted by Aeryyn "I don't play this game for xp/min, I play for fun/hour. "

Quote Originally Posted by LeadHero5 View Post
    Had great times and tons o fun. Go with good fortune.
    Thanks and likewise! Oh, and of course I'll still be watching this thread. Might chime in from time to time, but not with my opinions on the rules you all decide to use. Later!

Community Member

I am just noticing that the Maximum Weight Allowed seems to have been altered since the update.
    (Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't really been tracking it)
    I seem to remember that with a STR of 10, the Max Weight was about 500, now a characters STR of 12 carries a Max of 483.
    It may be an effort to balance encumberence. Bravo!

In the interest of adapting and keeping encumberence viable (not to mention the yelling Hazelnut is gonna give me), I suggest we change the value from 10% to 20% of Max.

Community Member

Interesting observation......
    A character, modestly equiped, with a Strength of 12.
    Adventures and takes every Item found in breakables, and "Loots All" in every chest (say 5 Chests)..... (Normal DDO activity)
    Might become "Heavily Encumbered".
    Other than becoming "immoble" if he's attacked and his STR reduced by some effect, what other effect does encumberence have?
    Does it slow him down?
    Does it affect his combat?

I am just noticing that the Maximum Weight Allowed seems to have been altered since the update.
    (Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't really been tracking it)
    I seem to remember that with a STR of 10, the Max Weight was about 500, now a characters STR of 12 carries a Max of 483.
    It may be an effort to balance encumberence. Bravo!

In the interest of adapting and keeping encumberence viable (not to mention the yelling Hazelnut is gonna give me), I suggest we change the value from 10% to 20% of Max.
    Excellent choice.

FYI Hazelnut's STR is 14 (which includes use of Ogre Power +1 Gloves), Max Load is 652.5LBS. Current equipment set when we start is 57.6LBS With gloves removed (STR 13), Max Load is 562.5LBS. So, I barely squeeze into the 10% rule when getting a little "help". I assume that any other race would have higher numbers since Halflings are supposed to have 3/4 carry capacity of other races.
    Last edited by Hazelnut; 09-07-2013 at 11:35 AM.

Interesting observation......
    A character, modestly equiped, with a Strength of 12.
    Adventures and takes every Item found in breakables, and "Loots All" in every chest (say 5 Chests)..... (Normal DDO activity)
    Might become "Heavily Encumbered".
    Other than becoming "immoble" if he's attacked and his STR reduced by some effect, what other effect does encumberence have?
    Does it slow him down?
    I can't find the authoritative source, but I vaguely remember reading something about encumbrance updates in U19 such that movement is slowed if you exceed half your max weight and essentially stops you if you exceed full weight.

Does it slow him down?
    Assuming this has not changed recently:
    This page was last modified 04:33, March 29, 2012 (Update 13, hot-fix)

http://ddowiki.com/page/Encumbrance

Quote Originally Posted by ddowiki
    Load: Light (0% to 33.33% load)
    You incur no penalties.
    Load: Medium (33.34% to 66.66% load)
    Reduces run speed by 5%
    Caps your maximum dexterity bonus at 3
    Gives you a -3 armor check penalty
    Monk characters become uncentered.
    Load: Heavy (66.67% to 100% load)
    Reduces Run speed by 12%
    Caps your maximum dexterity bonus at 1
    Gives you a -6 armor check penalty
    You are given the Burdened status ("You're burdened.").
    Load: Other (more than 100% load)
    Reduces Run speed by 31%
    Caps your maximum dexterity bonus at 1
    Gives you a -6 armor check penalty.
    You are given the Overloaded status ("You're overloaded!").

Default Oy vey this stuffs heavy... or is it?

Vinnie has the same problem. Just a light chain shirt, two weapons and a bow with quiver of arrows and she's at the top of her weight limit with 10%.

An observation though, being a halfling while logical that they could carry less, are wearing the same FULL [i.e. human] size chain shirt. Uhh... I don't think so.

Vinnies chainshirt should actually be about half the weight of a FULL size chain shirt. Vinnies heavy/large shield would be a LIGHT/MEDIUM FULL sized shield for a human. A human's FULL sized tower shield would be as tall as a halfling. Un-carriable for a halfling.

I liken outfitting Vinnie, or any halfling or elf, with what a reasonable "kit" load out would be.
    *Note these are grouped into load combo's, not all combo's could be realistically worn at the same time.

1 Armor type - worn. [No backup armor in pack!]

1 1Handed weapon at the hip on left side.
    1 light weapon at the hip on the right side.

1 dagger or kukri sheathed at waist or small of back.
    1 boot dagger or kukri.

1 2Handed weapon slung on the back or carried in hand.
    1 shield slung on the back or mounted on the arm.

1 bow slung on the shoulder.
    1 quiver slung on the shloulder.

If Vinnies kit should ever exceed her weight limit and she's still under what she could realistically carry as far as number of items, she'll fudge. She's a smart halfling. She's going to find armor made to fit, and weigh half as much. She's going to use a human broadsword [NOT a BASTARD sword] as her 2 Handed Great sword. A humans buckler will be her light shield etc.

Default Psychotic halfling looking for work. :)

Since Storm is a bust, Vinnie is freelancing now. I'm proposing that she gets up to level 9ish and maybe be allowed to play with the Wed group. She will of course adhere stringently to the THACO rules d'jour while getting to level 9-10.

This makes me think...
    Narcene is a rogue...
    Percy is a cleric...

see where I'm going?

Maybe some nights Narcy and Cogs could switch off...

Tukcc... proto paladin
    Ktorr... ranger
    Kierik... bard

Vinnie... assassin
    Percy... cleric
    Narcy... rogue

possibilites?
    Last edited by zefjoe; 09-07-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Default Hazelnut's load-out

I'm pretty much with you, Vinnie. Hazelnut's preferred load-out is:

Armor (chain shirt), three melee weapons, bow, quiver, and throwing weapons. A tad more, I know and overloaded for THAC0, so I reduced to 2 melee weapons.

Chain shirt worn (no backup in backpack)

Two weapons on left hip:
    • one handed weapon (usually longsword or rapier) for cross draw
    • off-hand weapon (dagger, kukri, or shortsword) for same side draw (think six-shooter style)

Left shoulder and right hip (loadout 2):
    • Longbow (slung over shoulder)
    • Quiver (on right hip, I found this much easier to draw arrows from in real life than over-the-shoulder)

Right Shoulder, left at home for THAC0 (loadout 3):
    • 2-handed weapon over shoulder as a backup (typically a great-club for dealing with ooze)

Wherever it fits (loadout 4):
    • Throwing daggers/axes (sheathed across chest, in boots, down the right leg, wherever they fit)
    • (DDO load-out includes the off-hand dagger/kukri since that adds to AC for Rangers)

I also (for RP purposes), assume a "potion belt" or collection of flasks in assorted places. I use the 2nd backpack tab for all potions I collect and hot-bar them vertically on the right side of the screen just above where the die shows.

For THACO, I dropped the backup weapon to stay within the weight allowance.

Quote Originally Posted by zefjoe View Post
    Vinnie has the same problem. Just a light chain shirt, two weapons and a bow with quiver of arrows and she's at the top of her weight limit with 10%.

An observation though, being a halfling while logical that they could carry less, are wearing the same FULL [i.e. human] size chain shirt. Uhh... I don't think so.

Vinnies chainshirt should actually be about half the weight of a FULL size chain shirt. Vinnies heavy/large shield would be a LIGHT/MEDIUM FULL sized shield for a human. A human's FULL sized tower shield would be as tall as a halfling. Un-carriable for a halfling.

I liken outfitting Vinnie, or any halfling or elf, with what a reasonable "kit" load out would be.
    *Note these are grouped into load combo's, not all combo's could be realistically worn at the same time.

1 Armor type - worn. [No backup armor in pack!]

1 1Handed weapon at the hip on left side.
    1 light weapon at the hip on the right side.

1 dagger or kukri sheathed at waist or small of back.
    1 boot dagger or kukri.

1 2Handed weapon slung on the back or carried in hand.
    1 shield slung on the back or mounted on the arm.

1 bow slung on the shoulder.
    1 quiver slung on the shloulder.

If Vinnies kit should ever exceed her weight limit and she's still under what she could realistically carry as far as number of items, she'll fudge. She's a smart halfling. She's going to find armor made to fit, and weigh half as much. She's going to use a human broadsword [NOT a BASTARD sword] as her 2 Handed Great sword. A humans buckler will be her light shield etc.
    Last edited by Hazelnut; 09-07-2013 at 07:07 PM.

I'm thinking 20% of DDO weight might be better, but it really all comes down to the player. I know that for a while Calibhan had gear stored on the other tabs of his backpack simply because I didn't have any room in the bank or other characters. I had to buy another character slot when we implemented the 10% rule since it was too trying to add up all the equipped and stuff in the first slot to calculate.

Now that I have fully embraced the LORE of THACO [hummmmmm thalla thalla humbaba - ako ako - the THACO chant]...

I have not only sold off all items in storage but deleted characters as well.

All my characters kit out as they would if they were real - what they can carry and no more. I have even gone to the extreme of limiting the number of potions carried - each potion is in a 1 oz glass bottle; how many 1 oz bottles can you carry in a pack and cargo belt? 10 - 12? 16 oz equals 1 pint - not much liquid true - but that's also 16 glass bottles clinking around. I keep my ingredients and collectable bags in the bank because they can weigh down alot too when full.

It's up to the individual player to play by the spirit of THACO [hummmmmm thalla thalla humbaba - ako ako], if they decide to "bend the rules" a little they aren't hurting me or any of the others. My enjoyment of the night stems from the good time of questing with compatriots, friends, in a challenging adventure. They are only cheating themselves of challenge if they work to be "more than".

As a wise old green, pug nosed whatever-the-hell-he-was said, "you must unlearn what you have learned, trust your instincts, feel with your feelings, do or do not - there is no try. The dark side is easier, more seductive, but once down that path - forever will it dominate you.

DDO style leads to envy, envy leads to overpowering, overpowering leads to boredom, boredom leads to naked bungie jumping with Charlie Sheen; don't...

All my characters kit out as they would if they were real - what they can carry and no more. I have even gone to the extreme of limiting the number of potions carried - each potion is in a 1 oz glass bottle; how many 1 oz bottles can you carry in a pack and cargo belt? 10 - 12? 16 oz equals 1 pint - not much liquid true - but that's also 16 glass bottles clinking around. I keep my ingredients and collectable bags in the bank because they can weigh down alot too when full.
    You have 16 of them? I'm lucky if I can collect 10 from the breakables before I use them. My potion belt came with a collection of small brass flasks. Much less likely to break than glass.

DDO style leads to envy, envy leads to overpowering, overpowering leads to boredom, boredom leads to naked bungie jumping with Charlie Sheen; don't...
    Oh Khyber NO!

Page 77 of 133 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187127 ... LastLast