Page 68 of 133 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278118 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 2656
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zefjoque View Post
    Apparently, when trying to create a login for the forums, which for some obscure reason had to be different than the login for the game client, I created another game account which, when the new update finished, basically reset my login username for the client to that of the forums login which caused the client to open a new account that Jack built. %P

Calibhan, Vinnie and Blodhund are safe and sound.

However I have now lost a great plot twist to the long neglected story of Calibhan. It was going to be a tear jerker and lead to a different version of Calibhan (rerolling Cali with Vet II status and rushing to level 9).

Yes, I was going to go there, 'cause I didn't want to leave the Fellowship hanging.

I guess Monday was a bad day to quit drinking.
    Change the spelling of the new character!

Community Member

Apparently, when trying to create a login for the forums, which for some obscure reason had to be different than the login for the game client, I created another game account which, when the new update finished, basically reset my login username for the client to that of the forums login which caused the client to open a new account that Jack built. %P

Calibhan, Vinnie and Blodhund are safe and sound.

However I have now lost a great plot twist to the long neglected story of Calibhan. It was going to be a tear jerker and lead to a different version of Calibhan (rerolling Cali with Vet II status and rushing to level 9).

Yes, I was going to go there, 'cause I didn't want to leave the Fellowship hanging.

I guess Monday was a bad day to quit drinking.
    Change the spelling of the character!

Community Member

Change the spelling of the characters name!

Community Member

Change the name of the characters name!

Community Member

Default Whoaa big fella...

Settle down Intruder1... changing the name was part of the story twist, along with a little more backstory about Calibhan, his Mother and the One.

Plus a change of class structure:
    1) possibly pure Cleric [for the obvious reasons but would he be too OP?]
    2) Paladin/Cleric [Holy Warrior with good martial ability, good saves and buffs]
    3) Cleric/Rogue/Paladin [Holy Warrior w/ great saves, along with Evasion and sneak attack bonus when un-aggro'd]

Not sure if I want to go through that (a lot of time and money) if Cali is ok. I was just prepared to dive in because I thought I had lost Cali.

Plus how would the others feel? Is it kind of a cheat? Alt-itis is kickin' in.

Community Member

Settle down Intruder1....
    Sorry....
    The forum seemed to hang and not post the first reply. Tried a couple more (obviously), then gave up.

The reason for the name change was so that I could finally document your XP progression week over week, like I do for everyone.
    Bad things happen if you reroll a character and retain the same name.

Community Member

Last nights adventuring brought a close to the "Delera" Situation.
    Our intrepid Rogue was not to be found when we headed to the graveyard so we adopted an alternate method to deal with traps.....
    Ktorr, the Ranger, led the party and we depended on his keen eyesight to pick up on traits that might indicate a trap.
    Then we enchanted him with protections while he "tip-toed" ever closer to set off the trap.
    Once located, we either found a way to jump past the danger, or (while divinly protected) ran thru it.
    When we finally located the Necromancer, though everyone's health was up, we had expended all of our Arcane and Divine resources.

All in all, things went well, no one died.

Four times we scoured the areas for treasure, but found little to none.
    As always, everyone accepted Guild Valor as our "End Reward" as per Guild guidelines.

Community Member

Default lotro

Calibhan and I are going to start a new group/fellowship in Middle Earth, THAC0-style. If you're interested, send either or both of us a PM.

Server: TBD
    Time: Friday or Saturday, 8pm to 11pm ET
    Starting Region: Ered Luin

We'd like to coordinate the party make-up before creating characters, including race/class/vocation. Calibhan is looking at Dwarf Champion (no decision yet), and I'm leaning towards Elf Lore Master.

House rule thoughts:
    1. the standard "no twinking" / "no transfer" / no "inter-alt bank sharing" / "adventure only in this group" / etc.
    2. no vendors, no AH, no gifting (possible exception: hobbit daily gift if it is coinage - for mount purchase only)
    3. TPK = trash all equipped/backpack gear (i.e. not banked stuff or coinage)
    4. will use mic
    5. no end reward as we'll rely on crafting (should there be items we cannot craft, we may need exceptions)
    6. F2P only (in particular, VIP gets XP bonus that will affect party level)
    7. Skirmish is TBD
    8. "Go slow" adventure style - no zerg, no spoilers.
    9. Backstory and quest RP writeups encouraged (i.e. not required by any means).
    10. To be discussed: use of turbine points (i.e. riding skill, quest packs, traits, etc.)

Calibhan, did I miss anything? Thoughts?

Community Member

Default Lotro

So as to not clutter the THACO thread I'll start a LOTRO interested thread for replies and discussion until we are all on LOTRO forums. While we don't want to pigeonhole anyone, since LOTRO is more rigid in its character development, we really need to have a well thought out group before creation. Right now it's Magicker and Zefjoque. We think a trio or quartet would be just right.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Someone
    Don't forget that ranged weapons and arrows effects stack, IF they are different.
    (if bow gives "good" bonus and arrows have "icy burst", for example).
    So don't look only at the numbers, try to have a good base bow as a general purpose, then use special Ammo (if you have any) with fire, ice, acid, and you have a nice mix to throw at monsters.

If you have a holy burst longbow... plus an icy arrow... The mob you hit should get:

Holy Burst + Icy , with the highest number bonus you have (arrows or bow).
    The quote was intended for a "geared" character, but it pertains equally well to OUR bowmen!
    We have +1 Bolts and Arrows available for purchase for anyone with a "normal" non-enchanted bow.
    A +3 bow would not benifit from +1 arrows we have available, but for that matter, neither would the House D +3 ammo.

Community Member

Default Ego and accepted guidelines.

For more than a year and a half, we have played together and accepted guidelines that keep us all on an even keel.
    As part of our "experiment", I have kept a journal of our individual XP progression.
    I want to remind Guild members that "catching up" is a practice we do not follow anymore.

When I poll the character sheets just 2 days after a game night and I see a character whose week-over-week increase is 40% higher than other non-VIP characters, I realize that person adventured outside of Guild gametime.
    I can only assume that person's ego can't accept lagging behind others in the guild, or possibly may be farming gems, which we now consider as tender for nice-to-have things not found in Quests.

I expect this player to contact me.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by intruder1 View Post
    For more than a year and a half, we have played together and accepted guidelines that keep us all on an even keel.
    As part of our "experiment", I have kept a journal of our individual XP progression.
    I want to remind Guild members that "catching up" is a practice we do not follow anymore.

When I poll the character sheets just 2 days after a game night and I see a character whose week-over-week increase is 40% higher than other non-VIP characters, I realize that person adventured outside of Guild gametime.
    I can only assume that person's ego can't accept lagging behind others in the guild, or possibly may be farming gems, which we now consider as tender for nice-to-have things not found in Quests.

I expect this player to contact me.
    Or he is running a Greater Tome of Learning obtained from the underdark pack. You get one per server. Might have applied it w/o thinking about it if its his only character on this server.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    Or he is running a Greater Tome of Learning obtained from the underdark pack. You get one per server. Might have applied it w/o thinking about it if its his only character on this server.
    Yep. A VIP with a lesser tome of learning would get +35% more than a non-vip if their group runs all the quests only once. (+25% first time completion + 10% VIP). A VIP with a greater tome would get +60% for a first time quest completion.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    Yep. A VIP with a lesser tome of learning would get +35% more than a non-vip if their group runs all the quests only once. (+25% first time completion + 10% VIP). A VIP with a greater tome would get +60% for a first time quest completion.
    Thought of those things. Occasionally someone will go into a Wilderness, or maybe PART way into a Quest and pickup a few hundred here and there, but it isn't constant.
    This was a bit over 3K and had not happened in the previous 4 weeks.

It is only of concern because we have adopted non-progression as a consequence of dying and it's not fair to others.
    We DID encourage catching up when we waited for everyone to level at the same time, but now we progress at our own rate.
    (Yeah, I know the VIP 10% isn't fair, but no one wanted to let me give everyone a Tome, but I DID offer.)

Since this is public and it is plain I am keeping an eye out, I doubt (hope) it won't continue.

Community Member

Got some extra time tonight. Tukcc or Manatarms will be in game most of the night.
    Our Monday night game may be very light because of missing characters so if anyone is bored give either of the 2 names above a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by intruder1 View Post
    Got some extra time tonight. Tukcc or Manatarms will be in game most of the night.
    Our Monday night game may be very light because of missing characters so if anyone is bored give either of the 2 names above a shout.
    Aww I missed it. This didn't show up in my subscribed threads with new posts. I would have joined you all. I have a L7 barbarian (VET II) I've never used. I created him to meet with you that first time when rolling up stats for Jedial.

EDIT: Hey let me know if you ever need a sub when you're short. If you give me a hint of what class you might find usefull I'll roll one up at L7 ahead of time to fill in. I think you are all around L9 now? Maybe a L7 with the starter gear would be a viable character? This wouldn't have to be a permanent part of your group, just a guest/substitute on-call.
    Last edited by Fedora1; 07-23-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Community Member

Default Help us play D&D on DDO! A repost.

PREFACE

What type of player are you????

Heavy Role-player---The story is the focus. You might spend hours, sometimes days, refining and developing a background for your character. You will spend 50-75% of your time online in chat sessions acting out your characters lives, and actually playing the game with that character.

Computer Gamer---The Game is the focus. You spend almost all of your time doing quests or activities with progression in mind. Find the perfect combination of items, stats, etc that propel you to the top of your league.

Either end of the spectrum described above is cool. We all play games for different reasons.

What I wonder is.....can DDO be used to bring back the fun of talking to each other and (most important) CHARACTER-PLAYING the GAME.

Try this......
    Create a Cleric, but allow no more than 2 stats to be below 9, and no stat above 16.
    (Any of the DDO boilerplate characters will do this.)

Now do a few of 1st level quests (Heyton's Rest?) a few times on Casual and maybe Normal Difficulty. No need to go outside the Village.

As most are aware, DDO is what D&D players call “Monty Haul”. DDO (Ebberon) is a Magic Item RICH Campaign.
    It is my belief that you CAN play D&D on DDO with a close approximation of D&D concepts.

In a Quest, Breakables represent “Found” Items that D&D players would have to search for.
    Chests represent things that a monsters would possibly have in their “Lair” and/or in their possession.
    End Rewards are DDO specific and is just represents your reward for completing a task.

In D&D terms, break all breakables for that is your effort in searching a dungeon.
    BEFORE opening a Chest, roll a “1” on a d10 at least once in 2 rolls. If you fail, the monster had NO Treasure in their lair and none in their possession.
    When offered End Rewards, NEVER keep the item. Always sell it to get the cash value. If you’re in a Guild, ALWAYS take Valor.

When you've gained about 200PP to represent starting money from D&D basic rules, go to the Hammer and Chain in the Harbor and buy yourself a set of Full Plate Armor!
    Now you should have at least a “Normal” Sword, Mace, Shield and Full Plate Armor that everyone who played PnP bought when they started.

While you are doing any Quest.....
    Do not run unless in Combat. Move in Sneak (which I will call Creep)
    Do not use any Shrine.
    If you run low on Hit Points.....heal yourself if you have SP or a Heal Potion, OR retreat to the entrance and exit, wait to regain your points and re-enter.
    If you can not get away and end up dying...Do NOT return to the same Quest the same night. Choose another.
    (Remember getting the snot beat outta you in PnP? The DM had you return to town to heal and then return? Think of that and come back to the failed Quest another day.)

Enjoy the challenge! You're playing a decent version of PnP D&D. (IMHO)
    Now imagine playing alongside a Fighter, Wizard and a Thief! All with voice-chat.
    Now characters will depend on each other and you will not be playing a “game“, you'll be character-playing .

I realize there may be those who disagree with this concept, but it's my opinion it can be done. Hopefully, not everyone will disagree.

THAC0 FELLOWSHIP
    On Wednesdays at 7pm EST, a Character called "Tukcc" will be in-game, getting a 6-person group together to attempt an appropriate adventure in this style.

It is our requirement that you have a Mic and voice chat active. (The first time you play with "Voice" you'll understand)

GETTING STARTED:

BEFORE creating a character, contact me on this forum or “Tukcc” on Thelanis using any character you have..
    He has a procedure for rolling “random” Stats for use in DDO, using Minimum Stat Levels for Classes which is required for use in the Guild.
    If there is no party of appropriate level to join, a Guild member will “accompany” you as a “Hireling” to assist you in progression.
    Guild characters do not Solo, unless it’s in a Wilderness area for Combat Practice.

All these guidelines add up to one thing……
    An adventure that pit’s the Characters ABILITIES (Not Gear) against that of the Monsters.
    An adventure where players DEPEND on each other and a characters death could have dire consequences.
    Likewise, a characters death does not mean the player must start over. It means he/she loses out on Experience and the remainder of that night’s spoils.

Default Turns out I'm the 'cheater'...

There were some interesting theories, but I was guilty of non of them. I don't have a tome, use pots, have contraband gear or PUG. Are you kidding me, I'm completely spoiled by by THACO. And my no geared wizard would be eaten up by any quest that would give xp. My best guess is I had a monster exterminator or 2 bonus kick in but I didn't confirm that by finding which ones were just over a reward level. From the tone of intruders post, I thought the culprit would be publicly stripped of (what little) gear and ejected from the guild.
    No Char left behind; original join date, Oct 2010

Quote Originally Posted by LeadHeros View Post
    From the tone of intruders post, I thought the culprit would be publicly stripped of (what little) gear and ejected from the guild.

Page 68 of 133 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278118 ... LastLast