Page 66 of 133 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076116 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 2656
    Community Member

When we began over a year ago, the idea was to try to recreate the Classic D&D game style with whatever restrictions we could come up with.
    As one of us pointed out, we were a restricted magic Guild, playing Elite Difficulty with a significant consequence upon character death.

Playing "Elite" was done because, let's face it, it was possible at lower levels.
    As we progressed, it became more and more difficult for "specialty" classes to maintain their specialty and still not become "one trick" ponies.

We dropped to Hard Difficulty to adjust and give those classes some breathing room.

All the while I studied and studied to refine the guidelines we used.

What guidelines we have now I see as the closest and best to playing by Classic expectations.

The current rules for rewards really approximates what happens in a classic game.......
    Items in breakables belong to whoever found them.
    Only a chest which passes a dice roll of 10% (2 chances per chest) is actually considered being there. Otherwise it is not opened and bypassed.
    End rewards do not consider Items. Only Guild Valor is accepted since some type of valor is offered in every End reward.

This set of rules eliminates any Magic Restriction rules previously used as nothing more is needed.
    The ONE exception has been the Moderate Fort Belts we all have.

If Turbine wanted to please any classic players in DDO it would be easy merely by installing a 10% rule to the contents of any Chest in a Quest.
    Personally, I'd love to see a PERMANENT lowering of Constitution to any character that recalled out after dying.

The remainder of the guidelines we've used over the last year have remainder mostly intact.

I want to thank everyone in this Guild (and the others that are not any longer) for their support and involvement.
    I know that most of you are doing this more for the static group we have than for Classic D&D, but you have shown a loyalty I'm sure everyone appreciates.

Community Member

[QUOTE=intruder1;5027305]The ONE exception has been the Moderate Fort Belts we all have.

QUOTE]

Correction: The Moderate Fort Belts are NOT an Admin Item.
    It's the one item we have that was not found in an adventure, but allowed to keep.
    Things like the "Hood" are (were) Admin, but are no longer allowed.

Community Member

Default A new "AI"

Read this today....outstanding.
    (Just the first post needs to be read)

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...0-AI-Awareness!

Community Member

I won't be able to join tonight. Sorry for the late notice.

Default New LOOT!!!

The recent change in rules from a strict level total to 20% chance at in quest chests and free use of found items has resulted in a influx of goodies. My long standing mantra of 'I don't hit things with sticks' is about to change. I looted a bow with wizardry II on it so Masters Touch and I'll be able to add a bit of pew pew instead of just hiding during combat. Will then switch to scepters to boost spellpower and crits during heavy fighting.
    No Char left behind; original join date, Oct 2010

Quote Originally Posted by LeadHeros View Post
    The recent change in rules from a strict level total to 20% chance at in quest chests and free use of found items has resulted in a influx of goodies. My long standing mantra of 'I don't hit things with sticks' is about to change. I looted a bow with wizardry II on it so Masters Touch and I'll be able to add a bit of pew pew instead of just hiding during combat. Will then switch to scepters to boost spellpower and crits during heavy fighting.
    I was surprised at this rule, as I have gotten some really nice stuff from breakables. Often times better than what's in the chest or end-rewards. On a level 7 elite quest the other day got a +4 STR belt. In the same quest chain (maybe a L8 elite?) broke a barrel and got a +1 Paralyzer Great Sword.

In one of the STORM quests (Water Works?) got that Moderate Fort belt (but can't wear it as it takes up 5 levels).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    I was surprised at this rule,...............
    Two things prompted this. It was becoming increasingly complex to design values for everything, plus admin items, heirloom's and such.
    The augment system presented a future problem as well.

I poured over the DMGs from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Editions to glean some insight from the various Treasure tables.

Additionally, I have kept in mind the warning from some "experienced" players concerning future encounters and Quests.

What I found was that .....
    DDO Breakables did offer increasing "Treasures" using a random treasure dice roll.
    In testing, a character broke a box and an "Icon" of a sword was there, quite small. I could not click on it and after a few seconds, it disappeard, leaving nothing to be found.
    This happened twice afterwards.
    Breakables represent "found" items in a dungeon, possibly qualified by a "Treasure" dice roll, or possibly a "Spot" check.
    I regard this as FANTASTIC!

In addition, according to DMG's and treasure tables, an adventure typically yielded just a few Magic Items, with 10-13 adventures per level.
    DDO vastly increases this yield by giving treasure after EACH encounter that is above the mundane.

Add to this the "end reward", which is most times an above average item.

Our new rule removes the limitation on equiped items by limiting the number of treasure rewards.
    Breakables are always retainable by the person who "found" them.
    Chests require TWO d10 rolls, though only ONE has to be a "1". Otherwise, the chest is ignored as if it wasn't even there.
    End rewards are NEVER taken, other than whatever "Valor" reward is offered.

Last weeks game night offered 6-7 chests, only 1 was opened.
    The week before offered 7-8, and 5 were opened!

This procedure WILL sometimes offer NO MAgic Items at all. This (to me) is a good thing.

Breakables are the new "goal" to THAC0.

It also allows the characters to be better "prepared" for specialized Quests in the future.
    Not to mention the "destiny" concept that I believe is a basic, fundamental element of D&D.

Quote Originally Posted by intruder1 View Post
    In testing, a character broke a box and an "Icon" of a sword was there, quite small. I could not click on it and after a few seconds, it disappeard, leaving nothing to be found.
    This happened twice afterwards.
    I think what you are experiencing here is the object falling through the floor. I have had this happen several times, usually on the same quests/breakables. They are always on a "raised" platform, be it a rock, or just a raised platform like a "boardwalk" or "deck".

A couple examples are the quests in Restless Isles (where much of the "dungeon" has sidewalk/boardwalk like raised areas) and also the two breakables in the wilderness area of Sorrowdusk behind the ogre elder Bruku. Any time you break those two breakables, if something does fall it is unrecoverable. They are sitting up on rock ledges.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    I think what you are experiencing here is the object falling through the floor. .........
    Ah, that makes sense. (though I wish it were otherwise)

Community Member

Those objects are still get-able, most times. Depending on how you've remapped your keys, you can use a hotkey to select nearby items, just as you would enemies. Once highlighted/selected, you can click on "use" in the selection orb and you will auto-take it, even though you can't highlight it with the mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Zefjoque View Post
    Those objects are still get-able, most times. Depending on how you've remapped your keys, you can use a hotkey to select nearby items, just as you would enemies. Once highlighted/selected, you can click on "use" in the selection orb and you will auto-take it, even though you can't highlight it with the mouse.
    I usually get a "Item is blocked" message when it has fallen through to where you can no longer see/select it.

Community Member

Another observation.......
    I'd like to get in there and see for myself, but something in the registration process messed up and it doesn't recognize the email i used to register.
    Too bad.......well, not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Danemoth View Post
    The only difference is Neverwinter is a WoW clone concealed behind a thin veil of a Third Person Shooter and doesn't actually follow any D&D rulesets what-so-ever (Why does my level 3 Wizard have over 600 HP?). I don't feel that comparing those other games to DDO is a fair comparison, because several of them are driven towards serving a different play style and a different kind of player entirely.
    I'd rather play a loyal interpretation of the game I love than an Arcade with "nice graphics".
    In Classic, the game was in your mind. Computer D&D should be tools to aid that, not replace.

Community Member

THESE are the people who keep D&D alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone
    Me. I love playing the rogue class.

The traps in DDO are varied and interesting and very different from other MMOs...

My first character was a rogue, and I loved the immersion of secret doors and traps and locks and spotting hidden monsters, and getting spot messages no one else could see (Listen messages too, because I maxed that out back then as well).

It does make me somewhat sad that everyone finds all secret doors immediately, and most people run past traps.

I don't know if this (secret door) change is necessary, but I am a huge proponent of making skills more useful (Bring back the special DM messages for high Spot, Listen, Diplomacy, etc skills!)
    As long as there are players like this, I will be here.

Community Member

"Tukcc watches from the window of the Tavern as the Wizard, Grondley, practices using the Archery Skill in the courtyard. Up til now, the Pale Master has relied on his Necromancy in Adventuring. Recently, his discovery of an Enchanted Longbow has opened the potential for evolving into something more."

Over the past year (actually 4 years in "Campaign time"), the members of THAC0 have ALL evolved. Each realizing abilities they did not envision.

It is my hope that these "discoveries" are what will keep D&D here in DDO, alive and interesting.
    The changes Turbine is making, for the most part, do not seriously affect this playstyle. In fact, many enhance it.

We (THAC0), now incorporate many RANDOM elements into DDO, making it closer to Classic D&D play.
    From Character Creation, to Treasure, to the general direction of a Party's "Destiny".
    Playing at Normal Difficulty with "Limited" gear has allowed the underlying game mechanics to function as intended (from a Classic Rule standpoint).
    I look forward to the Secret Door changes with excitement.

Community Member

(The following is a bit of RP I stumbled on......credit goes to the author.....it ain't me)

The Halfling stared at the takard in front of him. "What have I stumbled into?" he thought. His mind wandered to the happenings of the other night.......

"Ok, I decided to drop by the Bogwater Tavern in House P to wash down the dirt from our last adventure. After I did that, I decided to do a little exploring, when I happened to stumble across a richly-clad male dwarf and a mysterious female elf. Right away, my rogue senses told me that the elf female was definately not who she seemed to be, and that she could possibly be under the influence of a magical disquise. They happened to be in the middle of a conversation, and when I tried talking to them, they pretty much said for me to p**s off. Using my rogue-like skills, I went away from the conversation but then quietly returned, using my listening skills to piece together bits of conversation. The results kinda shocked me. Here is what I got:"

Elf: "The key to the prophecy is inside -- will you not help me my love?"
    Dwarf: "I won't have any problems getting in -- after all, I designed the damned thing!"
    Elf: "Yes, yes, I know your....eh.....compatriots will not approve of our liason. But does it matter?"
    Dwarf: "If I do this, my brothers will never forgive me."
    Elf: "My dear, do as I ask and I will ever be greatful."
    Dwarf: "The golem will help when the time comes."

Community Member

Help me to figure something out.....

How can we use GEMS as currency to purchase Magic-related consumables without running amuk?
    Are coins a viable and plentiful option?
    Both? I just don't want to set something off that will end up pushing us a lot closer to Ebberon Standards.

Example of something good.........purchasing Wands to compensate for the rare availability in Treasure.
    Example of something bad...........purchasing a STACK of heal potions.

I'm pretty much sold on the idea of Wands and projectile ammo.
    It HAS to be a consumable item.

Community Member

On one of my alts I'm experimenting with restrictions, among which is a potion restriction. If you look at the description of any potion it'll say something like 1 oz of some kind of liquid in a clear bottle. How many 1 oz. bottles could an adventurer really carry? 10, 12 at the most? Keep in mind that a shot glass holds 1 oz. Now enclose that with a top. Small, but not THAT small.

I set a limit of TOTAL potions on my characters person to 12. It requires a little more attention to what you pick up in a quest but certainly gives you some flexibility in potions you can use without abuse. A possible method to allow the purchase of consumables but keeping the number carried AT ALL TIMES, down. It would require the honor system and a lot of friendly reminders.
    Last edited by Zefjoque; 07-04-2013 at 07:44 AM.

Community Member

Nice article on Stealth.
    Note that this will be made vastly more effective with the new Stealth revision.

http://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread...-Stealth-Guide

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by intruder1 View Post
    Help me to figure something out.....

How can we use GEMS as currency to purchase Magic-related consumables without running amuk?
    I think coinage is too ridiculously available to be worthwhile for this group. Gems are a good idea though. And limiting it to consumables gives the player something extra without it piling up over time.

I'm not worried about potions. I've gathered about 850 plat in gems over a few weeks, most of it from a single Delera quest (i.e. rose diamond). Thats enough for 17 CLW potions. They have to last until I gather more gems, they're no good in-combat due to the low healing, and I can pass them out to party members to spread the effect. Instead, I could buy 2 CMW and a handful of CLW, or I could buy 1 CSW. Chances are good I'd go for the higher effect to save my bacon in-combat and rely on healers for out-of-combat healing. I think it could work.

I think Grondley needs a wand to get him through long quests. And the archers could use ammunition tailored to foes (i.e. undead). Given the limited amounts, it does two things: 1. makes their use tactical, 2. makes a failed quest that much more costly.

We could turn in gems to Tukcc whenever we're online together. Tukcc, could you use the Guild's Message of the Day to track these amounts?
    Last edited by Magiker; 07-05-2013 at 10:49 PM.

Default Stealth tricks and tactics....

At least now I know why Cogs has been packing these noisemakers around for months! That is an interesting and informative link, and will be studied for usefulness as soon as I can. One more "round toit" in the jar.

Page 66 of 133 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076116 ... LastLast