Page 3 of 133 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    Community Member

I've just been reminded that I might not be able to be online tomorrow night because, for some strange reason, she might want to celebrate my birthday by going to dinner. I told here don't worry about it. Just make a meatloaf and put it on a folding table next to my desk!
    The look I got defies description.

Hopefully, we'll be home early.

Seriously, any of you who plan on being there wander into the Leaky Dingy and take a seat in a nook.
    Post in your bio that you're into DnD on DDO and search each other out. If I don't make it back in time, the first round is on me when you get back.
    Last edited by intruder1; 03-13-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Community Member

Default hope you had a pleasant dinner out

hi its the cleric again Aliholy . i have several characters but only 2 eligble human cleric Aliholy and FvS Azzlorn an elf who i would prefer to play but unsure if he would be classed as maxing the rules. Both are 32 point builds sorry to say. Both have played by the rules 1 magic item also used nothing found in quest no shrines I sure had to run a lot from the last sahauguin in heytons crypt all on my own . So ready to go in stormreach harbour. plate mail armour , +1 sheild that inc 1st lev healing spells 40% thats my 2 items in 1 or can i keep my trusty +1 mace . If i don't meet you tonight what name should i send in game mail to? The best character to get me on is Runikz .

Community Member

Sorry I missed you last night.

Once you have 32 pt builds, you can not use 28, so it's nothing to debate. The extra 4 pts will mean prob 1 stat may be 1 or 2 pts higher. In the long run it may not mean that much.

Glad you had a good time soloing with no magic! <grin> Puts a whole new spin on DDO!
    The Shield actually has 2 attributes, therefore it would count at 2, right?

I'll prob be lurking tonight as Tukcc somewhere between 6 and 9 EST.
    Tukcc will be the main character I use for this campaign.

Either one of your characters is OK. It's up to you. Actually, if you like them, you can switch between them if you want, depending on the night and who shows.
    I use the Elven Fighter/Cleric and a Dwarven Fighter, but the Elf is my Fav.

I thought a lot about banking magic items you want to keep but can't use yet and am of the oppinion it would be better to NOT keep them. (To me) it just keeps me in the D&D mentality, not having a magic "hoard" to choose from. That is my oppinion and what you do is your business, but I think you'd be "crutching" yourself.

Community Member

Default see you 2mo

I don't mind selling any items. They are so easily got. I dread how much magic i've got banked. Its shocking really, my 15th lev arti carries 8 xbows 4 rune arms 5 suits of armour all adding upto about 100 inventory slots its that bad i think if i take my magic str helm off i become encumbered.
    In d&d your character could only use what they found (as DM i certainly never had any magic shops also the character's would often have to hand back magic items found to their rightful owner or questgiver-in DDO u get rewarded everytime). The campaign with your group of adventurers will be challenging but as satisfying as a cold beer.
    I'll have a afternoon nap wednesday, think i'm a bit eager with the time difference.

I have to agree about guilds being for power gaming.
    As a 1st level character i can get +2 to every ability , 30 resistance to acid fire ect plus others for 60min who needs shrines lol. I never used them on th 2 characters i mentioned.

Community Member

D&D night tonight! Looking forward to it.
    Look for the Elf named TUKCC on Thelanis in the Harbor. Should be in the vicinity of the Banker.
    No higher than 2nd Level with no more than 2 factors of (Wearable) Magic Items.
    We don't use any Potions unless 100% agreed upon by party members.

TUKCC should be in the Harbor by around 6-7pm EST (GMT 1400-1500) I think?
    Last edited by intruder1; 03-21-2012 at 08:54 AM.

Community Member

Last night's adventures went well! The campaign has (4) regular characters. An Elf, a Half-Elf and 2 Humans!
    In just over an hour, we crept our way into the bowels of Stormreach and recovered a backpack full of stuff for Garrison and destroyed the plans of an Ogre to organize a large group of Kobalds!

With 4 characters on Normal Difficulty, no one suffered more than 50% injuries before being healed. Shrine use was not even a passing thought. Now I wonder about the scaling factor.

Do we assume four 2nd level characters WITHOUT DDO buffs are more than a match for a Normal Level 2 Module?
    Do we have to use Hard difficulty? Or even Elite? Hope not.
    Or must we try a Normal 3rd level Module?

I would expect that a Module would contain maybe half a dozen encounters, say, 4 would be average (party loses 50% HP and ammo), 1 hard encounter (70%) and a skirmish (15%).
    I don't subscribe to the "End Game" theory so much (15 followed by 50 x 4 ending with 70)
    A good adventure should not be predictable.
    Note that this is average, based on stuff I'd read many years ago, AND my oppinion.

An interesting experiment would be to try a Module 1 CR lower on Hard, and 1 CR higher on Normal and see how it goes.

It is my oppinion that voice-chat is the way to go for D&D here on DDO. I wish I knew how to record the adventures. The cooperation and banter just wouldn't be possible without it.

Well, it seems that the campaign members are all for starting a guild, The "THACO Fellowship".
    I don't see anything usable in the way of guild ammenities that isn't strictly DDO mentality, but members feel an airship available for meeting would be good. So we're on our way.

Since we don't retain ANYTHING in the way of quest rewards unless it tops something we already have, the renown point option in rewards is the selection of choice for us, when given the choice.

The only thing I think would be of use is a Guild Chest. At least that way it could serve as the table we dump our spoils onto after an adventure to divy up. (just like a picture in an old DMG i have)
    The general idea would be take a magic item, and leave a magic Item if you have more than allowed.

Looking forward to next week!
    Last edited by intruder1; 03-22-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Community Member

(Disclaimer: The oppinion below is just that, my personal oppinion and does not constitute any criticism)

QUIVERS!
    Since when did you ever run around in D&D with upwards of 1000 arrows strapped to your back?
    This subject is about losing the logistical problem of running out of arrows during an adventure.

That's what you can do in DDO for just a few coins, never have to worry about running out of ammo.
    Unless you're using DDO's version of an UZZI, over a thousand arrows/bolts just isn't neccessary.
    The only reason I can see for using DDO's quivers is freeing up backpack space for more junk.
    Even if you haven't expanded your backpack, there are 20 spaces in 1/3 of your pack that could hold quite a number of arrows.

I believe in a D&D campaign in DDO, the last section of the pack should be reserved for projectile ammo, if you carry it.
    The remainder of the pack should have enough room to hold what you need and still have room for found items.
    Remember, you shouldn't have to pick up EVERYTHING and with only a very few exceptions, breakables aren't D&D style friendly.

So, forego the quiver and stock your pack with maybe a hundred or so arrows/bolts.
    The knawing concern that you MIGHT run out of arrows will enhance your D&D style enjoyment.

Community Member

Default Status: 27 march

The D&D Stormreach Campaign is well on it's way with 4 Characters.
    The Party consists of an Elven Fighter/Cleric, a Half-Elf Favored Soul, a Human Rogue and a Human Wizard.
    The Party is 2nd Level with an average group experience of 15349.
    (Any prospective player will need to raise a character to this average level before trying to join the campaign.)

No Character owns more than 2 Magic Items and No potions are carried into any Module (Quest).
    Casters MAY use whatever scrolls they find and retain them between Modules.
    Casters MAY make use of whatever Wands or Staves they find, but such counts as a Magic Item.
    (A Caster might well keep a couple of Daggers on hand for self-defense.)

We are located in the Harbor on Thelanis and are under the Guild name of "The THACO Fellowship".

The Adventurers have begun to explore the vast network of tunnels and passages under the Harbor.
    So far, it is my opinion that "Normal" Difficulty is too easy when adventuring "Level Appropriate".
    Even with practically no Magic and no Shrine use, the party emerged with only minor wounds.
    This week I will suggest the difficulty be set at "Hard" and we'll see what happens.
    Experimenting with this setting, the opponants were tougher and enemy casters made a huge difference.

If anyone would like to give this a try, contact me and give me your characters name, then raise his XP to our average level.

Community Member

Last night was one of the most interesting adventures so far. There were issues all night and were good for learning to play Dungeons and Dragons Classic Style.

Issue #1--Our Rogue was absent. Each part of a working party has abilities that are sorely missed without them. At least that’s the way it SHOULD be.
    Rogues are the parties early warning system, then they provide resolution to hurdles that hinder the parties goals.
    Bottom line was we blundered into an encounter that was overpowering to the three of us and one of our two Fighter assets was killed before we could retreat.

(Never underestimate the value of a good tactical withdrawal!)

Issue #2--Normal Difficulty proved too easy for a proper party of 4, and Hard Difficulty corrected this but enabled Enemy Spell Casters to use more powerful magic. This, to me, is right and proper in D&D terms. Spell Casters SHOULD be feared and prioritized as prime targets.
    Eventually, even with a cautious approach, the second Fighter asset was killed and the remaining Wizard, finding himself alone, tried in vain to survive.

After a couple of pints at the Dingy and licking our wounds, we decided to try again.
    Note: We did not attempt the same adventure. Re-entry is never allowed.
    (Maybe in a week or two.)

The second attempt went somewhat better than the first. Again, Rogue-less, we entered the bowels of the Library and found all sorts of low level undead. This is where the wizard showed his value. Between making child’s play out of any rune lock, his ability to incinerate both zombies and skeletons was impressive.

We had almost reached our goal when our Fighter/Cleric spotted a chest right there, out in the open and decided to take a closer look. His Elvish keen senses didn’t avail him and Traps in a “Hard” DC adventure are unforgiving! One down!
    The Remaining party members located the prize and decided to investigate a side room.
    There, they found a chest, surrounded by a protective barrier, and guarded by two formidable skeletons. Well, the wizards fire spells made short work of them and they easily deciphered the rune lock.
    Much to their horror, two fire mefits conjured into existence and quickly neutralized the Favored Soul, and without aid, he quickly died of his wounds. Two down!

The Wizards Fire Magic proved to be ineffectual against the Fire Creatures. He fled the Library.

Afterwards, we met at the Dingy for, yet again, another pint (or three!) and laughed and joked about the nights misgivings.
    All in all, in my opinion, it was a good D&D night!
    (Does the above recounting kinda remind you of a PnP D&D Adventure?)
    (It should)
    Last edited by intruder1; 03-29-2012 at 10:19 AM.

Default Located Cog's voice!

Cogoiler is here!

It seems that when you go from FTP to VIP, you get new nick and PW for the Forum Account. I seem to have missed that part of the instructions, somehow.

Community Member

The D&D Campaign is moving to the Marketplace!
    Game time is still Wednesday at 8pm EST.
    Meeting place will be in the Rusty Nail.
    All characters are now 3rd Level! Congratulations to all!

The Campaign still has room for one or two more characters.
    Our DDO Guild name is the "THACO Fellowship".
    We do not use any means of enhancing attributes, stats or anything else with the exception of 1 Magic Item per Level.
    New players are to create characters with the normal means without Tomes, etc.
    No DDO Store Items.
    Our Healers are our salvation. No Shrines, No Potions or other Buffs.
    This thread serves as a lengthly discussion of how we play and why.
    It is very similar to other Perma-Death Guilds out there, with a few differences.
    Voice-Chat is a must! Without it, you couldn't operate as a team the way we do.

Next Game Night is the 4th at 8PM EST. Make a 3rd Level Character with 20,000xp and no more than 3 Magic Items and drop me a line with your characters name. Meet us at the Rusty Nail and give it a try!
    Last edited by intruder1; 04-01-2012 at 04:00 PM.

Community Member

Default What Class would not be "D&D"?

With the concept of Original D&D in mind, is there a Class that would not be "in the spirit" of the original game concept?

While I have not examined classes beyond the Fighter/Cleric/Wizard/Thief types, Articifer seems to jump out as one not to include.
    Favored Souls is another. They just seem to be a Cleric version of a Sorcerer.
    (This is INITIAL oppinion. Have not examined in detail yet. Don't cut my head off!)

Community Member

Default FvS

Good job i've got some more characters i can use then . I've been trying favoured soul recently because i bought it. (I have to state i'm new to DDO, anything past 2nd edition oh and online gaming in general). FvS can become a very powerful offensive spell caster or more of a fighter with a bit of healing/buffing. I've tried a few and they are hard to get right. Difficulty being what stat scores to use, a bit like trying to roll a decent Paladin in d&d. FvS need 2 or 3 high stat scores wis+chr(caster) or str+wis+chr(melee). They are powerful but not sure i would call them too over-powered ?. They get high spell points but have medium armour(unless you take heavy armour Feat). I used a drow FvS hireling with my Drow fvs (a jumping 2 handed shortsword weilding melee livewire). It was the best team up i've ever had with a hireling, who used a sonic blast spell that caused most monsters too become stunned or fallover at my feet which i happily hacked to bits.. Having a Drow in our party would not be d+d.
    I think the biggest difference with old school d+d and DDO is 'enhancements' , which you can reset! to be honest i've had to research these a lot before rolling a character. There are some powerful 1's like 'radiant servant cleric' .These really do give you the ability to fine tune you character or make up some of your characters weakness's.

I play an Arti, they are fun to play. Definatly a powerful jack of all trades but master of none. I would say they are more steam punk than d&d. Also they are not as good with traps as a rogue. They don't spot them as easy, worst of all is when the trap-box is past the trap. Rogues have evasion and others skills to help, the Arti just dies trying to get past trap to disarm it. Most of all would a DM have ever let you play an Artificer in their d&d campaign. I think not!

You will get to see wednesday a more melee approach to Azzlorn. Lets hope he can kill those spellcasters quicker. We definatly need a melee party member. If it dosen't work then i'll happily change to a fighter or other gap in our party.

Default Masterwork Items

I worked with a Master Gunsmith and knife/tomahawk maker years ago, primarily creating Kentucky style Flintlock Longrifles for historical re-enactors all over the world.

I can honestly say that there is no magic involved in creating a "Mastercrafted" item, although there is a great deal of "trade secret", and years of acquired crafting skill in the making. I can attest that if you pick up a Master Crafted Longknife and handle it, then one of the China mass produced knock-offs, you will instantly be able to tell which is which, just from the way if fits and feels in the hand. The same can be said of a skinning knife, or a throwing tomahawk.

On examination, I see that Master Crafted weapons in DDO simply give a +1 enhancement bonus to attack rolls, which translates to the craftsman's ability to form metal and wood to fit the hand of the user better than the standard town blacksmith might manage. The Mastercrafted Armor simply reduces the Armor Check penalty by 1, perhaps indicating the Mastercrafter's ability to make stronger welds, and stronger designs for less total weight.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Masterwork

I suggest that the Mastercrafted items not be counted against the Magic total allowed per level.

What do you think?

Sam/Cogs the Oiler
    Last edited by Fricko; 04-02-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Community Member

Sounds like a good time! Just read through, and have some interest in trying this sort of play out. Might be able to make it for Wed night. Will keep my eye out for you when I get a char built and into Korthos. Like the masterwork idea. Until then!

Community Member

Azzlorn--Stay the course with the Fvs. He IS a fighting Cleric and represents a type of character unique in the party. I'm studying it and see where it might have fit in D&D. Tukcc is also a Fighter/Cleric, but of a different type than you. As an Elf, his fighting ability is hampered by his racially low Constitution, but his Faith grants him fighting benefits that will eventually bring him to par. The two of us represent the "Front Line" of the party.

Cog--Maybe this was overlooked. Mastercraft Items never were included as Magic Items. They are, as you described "premium" type equipment. Master Crafted items are worth hanging onto, as you'll see later on.

Fedco--Would be glad to meet another player character. Please send me his name as soon as you can so I can look for you. Any of us can be found by looking for THACO FELLOWSHIP in Social-->Who on Thelanis.
    Last edited by intruder1; 04-03-2012 at 04:05 AM.

Community Member

Default DDO Specific Classes?

Here's another point to ponder......
    Why did Turbine introduce the Artificer or the Favored Soul?
    From what I know so far, Artificers mix fighting, Thieving and add some Wizardry, am I correct in that assumption?
    Favored Souls mix cleric and fighter traits?
    Why would Turbine create characters that are, in effect, multi-class characters?

Here's an opinion. (Just an opinion)
    Maybe it's because players want a multi-class character without the level limitation?
    Fighter/ Magic-User/ Thief would be limited to 6/7/7 ?
    Now, I'm just rambling here. I have not read up on if the character would have the abilities of all levels combined or just the level associated with the class.

If it does turn out to be a multi-class character without level restriction, I do not believe it would be in the "D&D" vain, and would most probably unbalance the character at upper levels.
    UNLESS it is intended for DDO end-game playstyle.

The character in my campaign will be limited to 10 levels in each class as long as I progress him equally, and I accept that destiny cause that's the way it's supposed to work.

Thoughts?

Community Member

Default another long reply

Arti's and FvS are very good for Solo play. I've not got to 'end game' but it seems being lev 20 rather than 18/2 etc is best. A lot of min/maxing and the need for magic items seems to be the norm.

Arti's are range fighters with their reapeating crossbow. The rune arm isn't very accurate. They have low-ish HP and medium armour. The metal dog is about as much use as a hireling a lot of the time, but it has enhancements and good ones at that. Either evasion/sneak or intimidate/trip( which is what i have, he's very good at tripping i had giants falling at my feet yesterday).
    Spells, i would say they're good at and have some powerful/usefull ones esp flame turret. They can also Heal/buff but get repair as their static spells(like cleric gets cures)(warforged arti's can heal themselves thats why you see a lot of them). With the UMD skill raise dead is possible. Again its the enhancements that let you customise e.g. more attack/damage bonus on x/bow or more damage/harder to resist spells.
    Rogue skills, from my experience are good but need magic items to boost skills. You do not get enough skillpoints to get the full array so arti's usually drop move silent+hide and as i mentioned before their Spot skill is a bit weak. Without evasion again end up 2nd best. From listening to long time gamers the arti is certainly a powerful class.

I talked about FvS in my last message. My only point being they seem a balanced class.

Not sure about multi class only ever tried 3 and then just for a few hours. Multi class i've read are often used for end game 'rogue splash' 'monk splash' specifically for certain skills esp Evasion.

Turbine need to make money and keep people playing. Also the strong community must have an impact. Styles of people's play is diverse you have 'zergers' then you have us . To be able to make as many people as possible want to play. Being able too customise your character is a massive plus. Don't forget we are getting the Druid class in a few months with the animal shapechange ability. Now that is in d+d but how its going to fit into DDO will be interesting. Here is a investment tip, druid specific magic items will become valuble in game(on AH) for awhile when the class is realeased, so do some research and keep any decent 1's you find.

Its exactly the ability of being able to create/customise/play Dritzz or Elminster that makes me sit in front of the screen far to much.

Artificer is more unbalanced at low levels than higher levels. They are front loaded with abilities that allow them to shine early. In the early game, their pet has much better stats than any summons, good AC, HP, and ablity scores. Their pet can move fast and has a high rate of attack along with breath weapon. In the low levels, arty dog can take down elite bosses with a few heals from their master. Arty gets heavy repeater and rapid reload feats for free at level one. They add damage to the crossbow via enhancement, rune arm, and spell which allows them to take down many enemies at range. They are stupid-powerful at low levels and require no special equipment to easily dominate most parties.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

I've only dabbled in PD play, but I've got an arti I'm running a full elite streak on ... and honestly, the power of ranged damage in a PD environment can't be understated. Unlike AAs, they have what they need much earlier.

As far as why the FVS and Artificer were introduced ... they *are* PNP classes, with Artificer being the flagship Eberron class.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Page 3 of 133 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast