Page 71 of 133 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 2654
    Community Member

From examining rates of progress between the 3 groups in the Guild, it occures to me that at some point, everyone may be within 1 or 2 levels of each other in the future.
    With the idea that we may all possibly participate in a Raid....there, I said it Kierik.......I might urge the Sunday group to consider the Normal Difficulty guidelines.
    Also, after the 19th, everyone will (I think) receive a +20 Lesser Heart of Wood in order to (possibly) realign their characters according to the new enhancement setup.
    This does not mean that everyone will NEED the Heart, especially in our playstyle, but it will be there.
    Some players have expressed a desire to change their character, but making a new character and bringing them up was un realistic.
    Discuss the options as much as you can.

From what I have read, Paladins are going to be pretty gimp (I realize they are already just about the weakest class beyond mid-level, but wasn't worried about that too much with this play style). Not sure what I will do with Jedial until the time comes. Meanwhile I have a L7 ranger rolled up (Jed's sister) ready to go if needed.

Regarding your comment about combining groups for raids, I am open to ideas. It will be interesting to see if an under-equipped (read that as non-DDO equipped) group with characters that rolled their stats can successfully complete a raid.

Quote Originally Posted by intruder1 View Post
    From examining rates of progress between the 3 groups in the Guild, it occures to me that at some point, everyone may be within 1 or 2 levels of each other in the future.
    With the idea that we may all possibly participate in a Raid....there, I said it Kierik.......I might urge the Sunday group to consider the Normal Difficulty guidelines.
    Also, after the 19th, everyone will (I think) receive a +20 Lesser Heart of Wood in order to (possibly) realign their characters according to the new enhancement setup.
    This does not mean that everyone will NEED the Heart, especially in our playstyle, but it will be there.
    Some players have expressed a desire to change their character, but making a new character and bringing them up was un realistic.
    Discuss the options as much as you can.
    I think a raid is a great idea. I was actually about to propose that Storm and MONDAY consider a joint venture to attempt Chronoscope on normal. A 7-9 level difference is fine. If we can get 7-8 players we have a shot on normal. Worst case we wait a level or two and try again. With the rest shrine restrictions it will be very challenging to short man even on normal.

The nice thing about Chronoscope is players can purchase non-magic FLAMETOUCHED iron weapons inside the raid at the Rust Nail to bypass devil DR. Also, if you choose to use it, there is a sort of 'no fail' mechanic where if the party wipes, they are resurrected near the RuSTY Nail.
    Last edited by Postumus; 08-12-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    From what I have read, Paladins are going to be pretty gimp (I realize they are already just about the weakest class beyond mid-level, but wasn't worried about that too much with this play style). Not sure what I will do with Jedial until the time comes. Meanwhile I have a L7 ranger rolled up (Jed's sister) ready to go if needed.

Regarding your comment about combining groups for raids, I am open to ideas. It will be interesting to see if an under-equipped (read that as non-DDO equipped) group with characters that rolled their stats can successfully complete a raid.
    That is all powergrinder hooha. Pallys will be fine, as they already are now, for 95% of they player population.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    I think a raid is a great idea.
    Also, if you choose to use it, there is a sort of 'no fail' mechanic where if the party wipes, they are resurrected near the RuSTY Nail.
    THAC0 currently has 9 players, with characters from 2nd Level to 10th.
    My question is (other than the stuff for sale in the Nail) does our other equipment measure up?
    What is the Equipment loadout on the STORM characters, and would it conform to the Magic Guidelines of the Monday/Wednesday groups.?

We routinely do not retest any Quest on the same night. (Part of our death consequence), so I don't know about the "no Fail" option.

My question is (other than the stuff for sale in the Nail) does our other equipment measure up?
    What is the Equipment loadout on the STORM characters, and would it conform to the Magic Guidelines of the Monday/Wednesday groups.?

We routinely do not retest any Quest on the same night. (Part of our death consequence), so I don't know about the "no Fail" option.

Although it is a raid, it is only level six and it was designed as a 'starter raid' for players to experience raids before level 10 (Tempest Spine). I'm sure your equipment is adequate for this challenge. Since M/W THACO switched to the 1 in 10 rule I suspect those groups now actually have better overall gear than Storm members do (I'll post my character's gear in the STORM thread).

It will really come down to game play. If we could use shrines I'd say we have a 95% chance to complete the raid on the first try. Without shrines or ship buffs, but using in raid items (flame touched weapons/ammo) and in raid buffs (tavern tales suggest one of the NPCs inside may provide some magical aid to those who request it) I'd say we have a 50-50 chance of a first time completion considering most of our party will not be familiar with the raid (and I won't have Cadrod spill any secrets b/c where is the fun in that?). If we ignore the optionals altogether we sacrifice two extra chests at the end, but probably increase our odds a bit by saving our mana and resources.

Even if we wipe and choose not to use the resurrection mechanic, it will still be a lot of fun and everyone will have a better idea of what to do next time if we choose to run it again.

2015 DDO Players Council Hazelnut's Avatar

I have no idea what "measures up" requirements are but I'm the newest member of THAC0. I just made level 3 tonight after 3 weeks with the Monday group. In the magic item category, I have (currently equipped):
    • Necklace of Protection +2 picked up the very fist night but not usable unil I reached level 3
    • Health +1 belt (doesn't actually help as it turns my con from 10 to 11)
    • Ogre Power Gloves +1 (a gift from another team member, does help)
    • +1 Cold touch longsword received from a chest (we rolled a 1!)
    • +1 Sickle of Slowburst (another gift, it was not helpful to the player who found it)

The rest is off-the shelf (or not equipped when I checked YourDDO). The toon is Veyeolette Hazelnut (that's Violet but they took all the good misspellings), a halfling ranger.
    Zyinniah Hazelnut and Curissa Hazelnut on most servers.

There is a strong likelihood that anyone below level 5 in the raid could get one-shotted since we don't use ship buffs or twink gear. Level 5 is doable, but challenging without excellent gear or an abundance of consumables (healing potions). There are a LOT of shrines in the raid, so if Tukcc wants to make a rez-shrine exception for Hazelnut, then level 4 might be OK if Hazel manages her aggro well. At least it would give her a chance to play.

Also everyone will need access to the Devil Assault adventure pack. I'm fairly certain that guest passes will work for this.
    Last edited by Postumus; 08-13-2013 at 12:40 AM.

Community Member

There is a strong likelihood that anyone below level 5 in the raid could get one-shotted since we don't use ship buffs or twink gear. Level 5 is doable, but challenging without excellent gear or an abundance of consumables (healing potions). There are a LOT of shrines in the raid, so if Tukcc wants to make a rez-shrine exception for Hazelnut, then level 4 might be OK if Hazel manages her aggro well. At least it would give her a chance to play.

Also everyone will need access to the Devil Assault adventure pack. I'm fairly certain that guest passes will work for this.
    YES guest pass works with chrono. I've used one once.

Have fun and good luck everyone.
    Just awestruck, wether it be a Dragon flying overhead Stormreach, that glowing character who just zoomed in'n'out of the Pub, or that i can drink a Beholder under the table and best of all rescuing Damsels in distress.

Give me a few more adventures and I'll be there, maybe.

I'm willing to buy adventure packs with the understanding that I'm limited to about $10 a month. I did consider going VIP but I'm not convinced it's worthwhile.

Default Musing about shrines

Let me preface this with the statement, I like the way we don't use shrines just fine as it is. It adds to the challenge and most of the time we don't need them anyway.

The Monday group (yesterday) had a couple of incidents. Our rogue committed suicide when he trusted that we wouldn't let him drown. Our spellcaster got poisoned and ended up with a strength of 0 forcing a rest stop. The rest stop reminded me of my PnP days when a dungeon crawl or wilderness travel took several game-days to complete. This forced rest stops and the need to carry food & water (also made ranger's ability to hunt/trap and find safe things to eat invaluable).

During a PnP dungeon crawl, we had daily rest stops. I think it was part of the manual (but I don't actually have my books anymore to check). Dredging my memory, I think the rest stops worked like this:

1. everyone had to eat, so we had to carry food which added to encumbrance. If you didn't eat, you didn't get the benefit.
    2. spell points were revived for spellcasters since they got a night to sleep. And spellcasters could reset their memorized spells.
    3. if there was a ranger in the group, people got healed (I might be miss-remembering this one).

On point 3, I have some vague memories of some rule in the book whereby a ranger's skills at living in the wild (wilderness lore) gave them the ability to make the camp more comfortable allowing for healing. This would also explain the DDO function where the heal skill affects healing at a rest shrine.
    Last edited by Hazelnut; 08-13-2013 at 09:51 AM.

Default Fixed

Well as I can post this, it appears they fixed my permission issue here in the forums.

Now if only I could remember all the smart, intelligent, and thoughtful things I was going to say these past 2-3 days!

That is all powergrinder hooha. Pallys will be fine, as they already are now, for 95% of they player population.
    I am not a power grinder, but the changes I see OVERALL make the paladin weaker than it currently is. Some things are better, some are equal, some are worse. However, overall, it is NOT an improvement. And again, the paladin was already below the power curve after mid-levels. It's only saving grace was it's survivability. I have several paladins, a couple pure, a couple with fighter splash, one with a rogue splash, and one weirdo (bladeforged) with ranger and monk levels. I love paladins, but they don't compete well after 10-12ish when other classes are really dishing out the damage. My (yes I am going to say it) battle cleric (cleric 12/fighter 2) is JUST as survivable with better self healing, group healing, and dps (THF with PA, cleave, great cleave) and blade barrier.

I am not a power grinder, but the changes I see OVERALL make the paladin weaker than it currently is. Some things are better, some are equal, some are worse. However, overall, it is NOT an improvement. And again, the paladin was already below the power curve after mid-levels. It's only saving grace was it's survivability. I have several paladins, a couple pure, a couple with fighter splash, one with a rogue splash, and one weirdo (bladeforged) with ranger and monk levels. I love paladins, but they don't compete well after 10-12ish when other classes are really dishing out the damage. My (yes I am going to say it) battle cleric (cleric 12/fighter 2) is JUST as survivable with better self healing, group healing, and dps (THF with PA, cleave, great cleave) and blade barrier.

I have a Half-Orc character that I've played through barbarian, favored soul, cleric (battle cleric), fighter, and paladin lives (he's on rogue now), and for my money I thought my paladin fared much better soloing epic content than my cleric/fighter ever did. The melee damage wasn't even comparable. I think I was hitting 1000 hp smites around level 16-17?

The PRR benefits the paladin had also made him a LOT tougher. It seemed like he could take ten times the punishment than the cleric could. If I equipped a shield and turtled up (I was usually thf) my AC was around 110ish and PRR over 100.

The forums have been calling paladins gimps since I started, and for my style of play they've always been just fine, if not more survivable than other melee classes. From what I can tell, they will be fine after the pass as well. Just my two cents.

I have a Half-Orc character that I've played through barbarian, favored soul, cleric (battle cleric), fighter, and paladin lives (he's on rogue now), and for my money I thought my paladin fared much better soloing epic content than my cleric/fighter ever did. The melee damage wasn't even comparable. I think I was hitting 1000 hp smites around level 16-17?

The PRR benefits the paladin had also made him a LOT tougher. It seemed like he could take ten times the punishment than the cleric could. If I equipped a shield and turtled up (I was usually thf) my AC was around 110ish and PRR over 100.

The forums have been calling paladins gimps since I started, and for my style of play they've always been just fine, if not more survivable than other melee classes. From what I can tell, they will be fine after the pass as well. Just my two cents.
    I usually go HotD, never done the defender thing. Blade Barrier is more dps than smites against multiple mobs. Never done epic so no opinion there.

I usually go HotD, never done the defender thing. Blade Barrier is more dps than smites against multiple mobs. Never done epic so no opinion there.
    I usually go HotD until around 18 or so, then switch to defender.

The kite through BB with DP ticking thing works well enough in the heroic levels, but not so much in places like epic Gianthold. At least not with any of my clerics so far. And when you get hit by epic giants it HURTS. So you either need to do a lot of damage very quickly, be able to take a lot of damage without having to cast a heal every five seconds, or both.

One of the interesting things about the paladin enhancements changes, is that it looks like they are combining the HotD & KotC into one tree. A similar thing is happening to bards where Virtuoso and Spell Singer are getting combined. I'm more of a 'glass half full' view on the enhancement pass, but I guess we'll all find out on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
    Give me a few more adventures and I'll be there, maybe.

I'm willing to buy adventure packs with the understanding that I'm limited to about $10 a month. I did consider going VIP but I'm not convinced it's worthwhile.

VIP is great if you play a lot and like to have a lot of characters, more bank space, etc. But they frequently have good sales on TPs and adventure packs, so if you wait for the deals where things are 25%, 50% off etc, you can get quite a bit of content fairly cheaply.

I generally have a surplus of TPs so I don't mind getting one or two if folks need them to take part in the raid.

Community Member

Hmm.....Any of this sound familiar?

Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    On randomly generated weapons, minimum level to equip the item is based on the item's Total Enhancement Value, which is the "plus number" in the top right corner of the item tooltip.

Weapons, armor, docents, robes, outfits, and shields follow the following progression:
    +1 - Level 1
    +2 - Level 2
    +3 - Level 4
    +4 - Level 6
    +5 - Level 8
    +6 - Level 10
    +7 - Level 12
    +8 - Level 14
    +9 - Level 16
    +10 - Level 18
    +11 - Level 20
    +12 - Level 21
    +13 - Level 22
    +14 - Level 23
    +15 - Level 24
    +16 - Level 25
    +17 - Level 26
    +18 - Level 27
    +19 and higher - Level 28

"Accessory" items (gloves, boots, cloak, rings and such) use the following progression:
    +1 - Level 1
    +2 - Level 3
    +3 - Level 5
    +4 - Level 7
    +5 - Level 9
    +6 - Level 11
    +7 - Level 13
    +8 - Level 15
    +9 - Level 17
    +10 - Level 19
    +11 - Level 20
    +12 - Level 21
    +13 - Level 22
    +14 - Level 23
    +15 - Level 24
    +16 - Level 25
    +17 - Level 26
    +18 - Level 27
    +19 and higher - Level 28

Up to level 20, this is the same they have followed for many years on the Live servers, as well. Random items with levels that do not match their value are the result of data entry errors or other bugs.

The difference now is that the game automatically handles item level on random equipment, and so these kinds of bugs automatically fix themselves, and cannot occur again in the future.

Community Member

Does anyone plan or wish to respec their character with the Expansion LR heart?

Grondley and Kierik have expressed an interest.

If so, please discuss it with me before doing so.

Does anyone plan or wish to respec their character with the Expansion LR heart?

Grondley and Kierik have expressed an interest.

If so, please discuss it with me before doing so.
    Actually, whether or not one uses the +20 heart, everyone will essentially be re-speccing due to the enhancement changes.

But I assume you mean if someone wants to change classes with the +20 heart. I won't know about Jedial until I see how I can set him up with the new system Might take a couple weeks to decide.

Page 71 of 133 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121 ... LastLast