Page 5 of 133 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Considering the AI of monsters, their (usually) slow attack rate, nearly complete lack of buffs, inability to deal with a moving target, and many more things from their point of view every encounter with player characters is set on epic. Every time monsters manage to wipe a party their status and power amongst their kind rises tremendously to the point that they are feared beyond belief and collect tribute from their neighbors several leagues around them.

If what you are asking is if you were to be fighting other player characters instead of monsters what would be the difficulty setting of that encounter the answer is they don't have a setting that would be equal to that difficulty. The fact that players can overcome monsters with 100s of times their hit points and attacks that do enough damage to one or two shot them shows how powerful player characters are.

Community Member

Good point. That's the type of oppinions I'm interested in.
    Does the Scaling System dumb down the opposition or boost it above "Normal", which is expressed at the Default for the game?

The scaling system basically adjusts the stats and damage output of the enemies based on the number of people running in the party. So the more people you have in the party the tougher the enemies are on the same difficulty. The problem is that the scaling is off to such a degree that a party of one person many times has an easier time with a quest than a party of six on the same difficulty. What stats are affected I'm not completely sure but I know to hit is affected which is very bad. Scaling the damage given off by an attack or spell and the hit points of the enemies is mostly acceptable (not to me however) but scaling things like enemy saves, ac, and to hit shouldn't be done as these stats are thresholds that a player needs to remain static so their spell dcs, to hit, and ac are constant in their effectiveness no matter what size their group is on that difficulty setting. This is not currently the case so the fewer people that are in the group the more "dumbed down" the monsters are in every way.
    Last edited by Orratti; 04-16-2012 at 11:20 AM.

Community Member

GAME NIGHT!!

Last nights adventures were a test. One which I'm glad to say worked quite well.

The three of us (All 3rd Level), went back to Korthos and did some "Undead Hunting", doing Heytons Rest and Necromancer's Doom.
    We used very few Magic Items, NO Shrines, No Potions. We attempted both adventures at Elite Difficulty.
    At that level, the quest was "Level Appropriate" at 3rd Level.

The first very noticable difference was that all the baddies had an amount of Hit Points that you would expect from them. It took a concerted effort on our part to dispatch them.

Heytons was a bit simple because it's one of those quests that was "easier than most". The final battle was not simple, but we lost only a hand full of hit points collectively.

Necro's Doom was refreshingly more difficult. Minor undead required 10-15 hits before keeling over and the Skeletal Warrior at the end was no push over!
    Drexlehand was a caster to be reconded with! It was a grand victory, and he did NOT go quietly!
    With 2 fighters beating on him and a wizard attacking from afar, he still managed to subdue 1 fighter and gave the other quite a few cuts and bruises.
    The subdued fighter was an Elf with a less than stelar Constitution. He gets put down often enough, but will toughen with experience.

Final oppinion, Quests 2 levels lower than the party, but played at Elite is a great way to give the monsters some "beef" without giving them overpowering magic and/or special abilities.
    At least that's what it appears like, for now.

So, until the party reaches 4th Level, we will remain in Korthos and fight the good fight!

Hello. I don't have any toon on thelanis, I'm very familiar with all the quests and do not have a mic on my notebook where I play ddo.

I can hear everything just fine thought.

Would like to play with this small bunch and roll a toon for myself get a little bit away from the DDO magic and mayhem.

Can I join the fun? What would I need a toon leveled up to 3 or 4, something else? "Psicose (thelanis)" is the name. a level 1 rogue that fled a circus passsing the town of stormreach
    Last edited by Bumbaragum; 04-19-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Community Member

Our leader will i'm sure welcome you to the group. Our rogue is away working for 2 weeks . Shame you was'nt there on wednesday then we could have unlocked the door and got Drexel's treasure aswell. The party at present is a cleric/fighter, favoured soul(melee type), wizard and a rogue. A typical adventuring party.
    I am easy about what class i play and will roll/level up whatever is needed. We could do with a melee only, a fighter or barbarian. I will get 1 ready. So that would free up a cleric/fvs slot. BUT Tukcc will let us know what he thinks, we should do. So keep checking this thread and look forward to adventuring with you on wednesday. You need to be level 3.

Alivef, Runikz, are the characters i play often.

Community Member

Default New Player?

Psicose the Rogue has been welcomed and introduced to our philosophy and informed of what to do by next Wednesday.

Again, we will all be meeting at the Inn on Korthos Island on Wednesday Night at 8pm EST (-5 GMT).

Our party composition is fine the way it is. An extra Sword OR even an extra Bow is worthwhile. I would like to see us play a character we WANT to play instead of what kind would better fit. That would be too much of a DDO playing concept, and we're molding different parts into a working machine, that's more fun I would think.
    Last edited by intruder1; 04-21-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Community Member GnollsNotTrolls's Avatar

Default AD&D veteran jumping into DDO

Hi all, I've been playing DDO for a few weeks now, trying to recapture some of the spirit of my old gaming days. I've tooled around Korthos for a while, finally committing to a nasty Dwarf Barbarian long enough to get him off the island and all the way to 3rd level. He's all Big axes and bad attitudes. I'd love to sell off his goods to join your group, but he was created with the standard point allocation in which I stacked his STR and CON. Definitely NOT the standard dice rolling you advocate.

I've been frustrated by the video game min/max aspect of the game. Your group sounds like a breath of fresh air. Any room? I'm happy to fill any role available, and I like playing niche characters. I created a halfling bard that will focus on throwing weapons and charming enemies, and a rogue who will one day become a pale master because of his fear of eternal punishment. I haven't played either character yet, so I can reroll either with 6-siders if you desire either one in your group.

I am happy to roll up another character with dice as well. I am available Wed nights (I'm on the East Coast US). I don't have a microphone but I'm happy to listen in on voice (maybe the toon is a mute?) :P

Be happy to join up with you is you have the room!

Default Microphones

While I have no clue how much money anyone else considers "a minor investment", I purchased my own Logitech headset with microphone at Wal-Mart for $17.95 a few months ago. It is very comfortable for hours long wear, and has a flexible mic boom that allows infinite tinkering to get just the right position for your own usage.

Check it out.

Having a "voice" in our Guild is critical, if only for purposes of self-defense!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by GnollsNotTrolls View Post
    Hi all, I've been playing DDO for a few weeks now, trying to recapture some of the spirit of my old gaming days. I've tooled around Korthos for a while, finally committing to a nasty Dwarf Barbarian long enough to get him off the island and all the way to 3rd level. He's all Big axes and bad attitudes. I'd love to sell off his goods to join your group, but he was created with the standard point allocation in which I stacked his STR and CON. Definitely NOT the standard dice rolling you advocate.

I've been frustrated by the video game min/max aspect of the game. Your group sounds like a breath of fresh air. Any room? I'm happy to fill any role available, and I like playing niche characters. I created a halfling bard that will focus on throwing weapons and charming enemies, and a rogue who will one day become a pale master because of his fear of eternal punishment. I haven't played either character yet, so I can reroll either with 6-siders if you desire either one in your group.

I am happy to roll up another character with dice as well. I am available Wed nights (I'm on the East Coast US). I don't have a microphone but I'm happy to listen in on voice (maybe the toon is a mute?) :P

Be happy to join up with you is you have the room!
    We'd be happy to have another guest on Wednesday. Bring whatever 3rd Level character you have and party with us. If you like what you see, you can create an appropriate character for future adventures.
    We'll be meeting at the Inn on Korthos Island at 8pm EST.

Looks like another Thief will be joining our ranks (Psicose) and should be present on Wednesday.
    Last edited by intruder1; 04-22-2012 at 12:12 PM.

Thumbs up

I'll be there with a Halfling Bard or an Elf Cleric (you peaked my interest about the Undying Court in a previous post).

Won't have a mic for Wed, but I'll have voice chat on.

Looking forward to it!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by GnollsNotTrolls View Post
    I'll be there with a Halfling Bard or an Elf Cleric (you peaked my interest about the Undying Court in a previous post).

Won't have a mic for Wed, but I'll have voice chat on.

Looking forward to it!
    Great. Post your characters name so that I can look for you.

ANY NEW PLAYERS: Remember--Limit 1 Magic Item per level. No Potions.
    Min/Maxing Stats is an easy habit to fall in to. In DDO, this is easily overcome with Magic Items.
    In D&D, the Stats that are Minimalized will haunt you. Don't intentionally Minimize a stat. Consider the characters race before setting a stat to 8 or 9. The extra points in your primary won't mean that much in the long run.
    An Elf COULD have a Con of 9, a Dwarf COULD have a CHA of 9. Use common sense.

Cool

Halfling bard is named Elcapitan, and I had an "orientation" quest Tuesday night with TukCC. Great time, exactly my pace and style. Looking forward to contributing to the group with this bard (my first)-- buffs don't have the same impact on solo, and I think his grease spell will set up some good ambushes for our ranged hitters.

Look forward to 8 PM tonight-- got my mic working!

Community Member

To all involved....
    Tonight's adventures are intended to determine the ability to handle a quest without any Magic Items.
    Therefore, at least for the first, play without any Magic Items equiped at all. (Excludes Grondleys Wand)
    If anyone will be in need of normal weapons and/or armor, obtain such at the Hammer and Chain when you get here.
    If you need coin to do this, see me, as this is my request, I will fund it.

I'm very interested in what we face and other mechanics of each quest. I'm good with playing a bit longer if needed.

We'll be adventuring as many 1st Level Quests as we can at Elite difficulty.
    I am expecting....
    Opponents with as many HP as any of us.
    Opponents that will NOT have as much overpowering Magic as you might expect.
    Final encounters that will test your ability to fight as a team.
    Trap DC's that may be too hard for non-rogues, unless you train accordingly.
    Traps that are much more lethal than normal, but still spottable (and avoidable?) by those skilled enough.

Remember, this is for the first quest (or maybe the second if all goes well).
    Carry your normal compliment, just don't use it.

Hello.

Will meet with you all on my toon Norwand. A Human reck, resting on korthos shores.

Looking forward for tonight adventure.

Community Member

Last Night's adventures made for a long night, but it was a hoot!

Firstly, 3rd Level characters played without any magic items at all, no shrines, no potions and not collecting/using any contents from breakables. In my oppinion, a real good simulation of classic D&D.
    The module was Heytons Rest at Elite Difficulty. I like this setting because it presents opponants that are no push over individually, but do not use overwhelming magic against characters who also do not use a lot of magic.
    Additionally, Trap DC's SEEM to be attainable given the characters have two levels of skills to apply, while threatening the characters with significant damage. Our trusty rogue got quite a surprise when a control box exploded on him!

The bottom line is the characters lives are dependant on their skillset as well as their compatriots, not so much on the level of magic they possess. THINKING and STRATEGY are primary attributes here.

With these factors in mind, I stand by my belief that (with the exception of Wizards), 1 Magic Item per level is very appropriate, and in fact, might be considered generous.
    One thing to note is the "Sets" completed by Misery's Peak. I'd call these "Boon" items because their value exceeds the sum of each part. These are valuable at lower levels to be sure, but will probably pass on as levels get higher.

Finally, Misery's Peak was done on Elite. No one died and it was a fight to the finish. Our casters had expended their magical energies and that prompted the party to move carefully. Very good adventure!

The THACO Fellowship now has 6 player characters! This exceeds my expectations for just a couple months of adventuring.
    Except for the newest character, all characters are within 4000XP of each other. Only our halfling is in need of "catching up" XP pointwise. The average XP value for the party is 37000 XP. It is advised that only characters below this level solo a bit (if they wish it) to bring their characters to par.

Next Wednesday the Fellowship will continue examining the modules in Korthos on "Elite". I expect xp progression to dwindle significantly now that we won't get the 80% bonus for first time on Elite, but it's to be expected on Korthos. If we progress below 1000xp per module, it may be timeto move to the Harbor before we reach 4th level.
    Last edited by intruder1; 04-26-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Community Member

Do not discount the benefits of completing the Slayer levels on Korthos. Using the quests run on the standard chain of no VIP - N, H, E and using the Slayer XP, I was able to get within striking distance of 4 without ever setting foot outside of the island. If I recall, when I arrived in Stormreach one elite run at 'the Kobold's new leader" pushed me over the top.

Just a suggestion to help flesh those points out.
    Me: "You want some of this you little lizard rat! Ooo.. big bad kobold shaman! You got nothi..." "DING"
    Friend: "Dude... were you just owned by a kobold?"
    Me: "Just shut up..."

Community Member

Yes much more fun with 6 characters. Yes much more fun creeping and using our characters actual class skills. Characters have an array of enhancement/skills at their disposal some as good as that 'magic item'.
    With a few charms and summoned creatures, it was nice to let them do some of the dirty work. Characters commentated how amusing it was when 1 of the summoned dogs even managed to trip its opponent. I just felt a bit guilty having to kill some charmed enemies, after they had done such a sterling job for us but DDO doesn't let you take prisoners.
    When our leader made us stop and sit down right next to shrine near the end of Miserys Peak with our magic depleted characters was a classic. Mean No, Fantastic bit of timing YES.
    I look forward to trying our luck in the Harbour. Our last attempt was a bit disastrous. Poor Nazza we promised to 'sort it' but ended up in body bags in 2 min later :-)

Community Member

Default Review of Guidelines

With all we've done and experimented with, a recap of the general Guidelines might be in order.
    WE all know them, but I've just spent an hour skimming thru the Forum to see what other oppinions are out there.
    I personally like the phrase "The W.O.W'ers are invading DDO!" Referring to the zerg "race to the top" mentality.
    But what I also saw was quite a few posts complaining about the same. Wondering what happened to the "think and strategy" way of playing.

Hopefully, suggestions made to these players that they take a look at the Static Group and Perma-Death Guilds will bring these players around to THESE posts.

SO.......I'll try to recap some of our guidelines for the player who takes a look at this post from the most recent entry.
    Those who play by these guildelines might want to post what they like about this style as a beacon to any player who may have lost their way.

WE ARE THE THAC0 FELLOWSHIP.

We shed almost ALL of the extras that DDO provides and concentrates on the Character and his/her skills.
    We use/require voicechat. (How could you possibly play D&D without talking?)
    We don't use Shrines...Ever.
    We don't use Potions unless it's for a REAL neccessary reason.
    We ignore any and all breakables, unless it's to find an Adventure Related Requirement.
    We are NOT Perma-Death. If a character dies, they can hang with us as a ghost or go back and wait for the rest at the Tavern.
    Healers are the Party's Saviours. They are the only method of healing.
    Once a Cleric type is able to Raise the Dead, they can help a fallen comrade rejoin the ranks of the living instead of sitting out the remainder of the adventure.
    Our characters can own only ONE Magic Item per Level. Magic Item is defined as any item that enhances any part of the characters record sheet. Further, Items with a Potential Number in the upper right corner use that number as part of their "count"
    Warforged and Artificers are not allowed in the Fellowship as they are DDO Entities. (The Jury is still out on Favored Souls)
    We play Modules (Quests) on "Elite", but 2 levels BELOW our party Level. This has proven to be a good way to make DDO quests more "D&D" like.
    We DO NOT ZERG. Normal movement rate for everybody is SNEAK. We call it Creep. D&D players never run, unless it's to run away from a bad encounter.

OK, can't think anymore. None of this is difficult. Like I've said before, DDO stuff is like candy, once you start eating it, it's tough to stop.
    When it comes to using DDO stuff, "just say NO"

We are THAC0 Fellowship and we're on Thelanis. Game nights are Wednesday 8-10pm EST.

Community Member

Default Videoing Game

You mentioned about recording a gaming session. It is possibe, without a video camera. I am watching a live streaming ddo game now.
    http://www.twitch.tv/goodideagaming/b/316085911
    I'm having a look and will try and get it to work the next week or 2 but I have an old pc so it may struggle. I'll keep posting what i find out. I will of course ask permission from the characters before recording or live streaming a game.

Page 5 of 133 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast