Page 4 of 138 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Good points on all sides for FvS and Arti. I realize they are in todays PnP, but it's the basic classic classes I'm interested in adventuring with. Artificers, I think, will be too unbalancing for a Classic D&D party.

DDO is a game that can accomodate LOTS of different play styles and that is indeed Turbines intent. They ARE here to make money after all and that's good because it means the game will be around a long while.
    I'm just grateful that a more "classic" way to play is just a matter of "just saying No" to some of it's inappropriate content. The stuff they come out with is like crack! VERY hard to ignore once you've tasted it!

It will be VERY interesting to see a Druid around here. I hope it will fit in.
    Last edited by intruder1; 04-04-2012 at 05:55 PM.

Community Member

Default Critical Hits and Fortification

OK, I've skimmed thru the DMG, PG and MM from 2nd and 3rd Editions and Criticals are mentioned in 3rd Edition only.
    Both Players and Monsters have the potential to inflict Critical Hits and they are described as valuable for gamplay to generate excitement and promote an "uncontrollable" feeling to the Adventure.

Nowhere can I find any mention about Fortification, or whether Monsters can possess it.

I, myself, consider critical hits good for keeping people on their toes.
    Unfortunately, it might be a way of dealing with monsters with ten's of thousands of hit points and fortification is a way to prevent players from receiving the same. In this sense, Fortification seems to be DDO.

In a classic D&D game like we're playing, I don't think we have too much to worry about. We might run across a Light Fort item, maybe a Medium, but that's about it. We just plain won't be fighting something with that many hit points.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by intruder1; 04-04-2012 at 05:55 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by intruder1 View Post
    OK, I've skimmed thru the DMG, PG and MM from 2nd and 3rd Editions and Criticals are mentioned in 3rd Edition only.
    Both Players and Monsters have the potential to inflict Critical Hits and they are described as valuable for gamplay to generate excitement and promote an "uncontrollable" feeling to the Adventure.

Nowhere can I find any mention about Fortification, or whether Monsters can possess it.

I, myself, consider critical hits good for keeping people on their toes.
    Unfortunately, it might be a way of dealing with monsters with ten's of thousands of hit points and fortification is a way to prevent players from receiving the same. In this sense, Fortification seems to be DDO.
    Hm, NWN 2 uses fortification as well, and that was based on 3.5. Not too sure bout NWN 1. I think 3.5 greatly added more balance and corrections to 3.0.

Anyway, without spoiling too much - I think fortification should fit into your gear, if you can find it. Since you already practise such tough item restrictions, randomly finding an item of fortification shouldn't be overpowering, and heavy fort items at lower levels (10-ish) is rare and requires some grinding for special items.

In a classic D&D game like we're playing, I don't think we have too much to worry about. We might run across a Light Fort item, maybe a Medium, but that's about it. We just plain won't be fighting something with that many hit points.

Thoughts?
    I'd just like to say that the last statement is very ambiguous - how much is too many? Some quest objectives will require you to kill a named mob/boss with many hitpoints. Secondly, it's not about the mob's HP, it's your HP. As you go higher, mobs will hit much harder, and some mobs can kill you with a single crit attack (some monsters have double/triple attacks almost simultaneously) on a regularly-geared toon. Thirdly, based on sneak mechanism implemented in DDO, chances of successfully sneaking past this mobs are extremely difficult and unlikely, due to your restrictions.

Just putting this out there for your consideration.

Community Member

Default For Cogoiler

undelete program
    www.piriform/recuva
    The problem is that you may need a 2nd hard drive or big usb memory stick to transfer (hopefully) the files it finds. Do not recover the files it finds to the hard drive you examine. I do hope you get some back.
    In game i use Runickz and names starting with Ali mostly (guild called the FRAG). In you need a helping hand. Please do try it you just never know what u may find.

Cogs... and a host of other characters with plans stored in Ron's character Generator... is grateful for the link!

I'm not touching any recovery attempt. With my luck, I'll have to purchase a new computer... after the fire department leaves, and my house is rebuilt.

File Recovery is what my son-in-law is for. (I just have to wait a week or so to get him up here to do it!

Thanks a bunch!

Sam

Community Member

Default Game Night

Last night was another very interesting adventure. We ventured into the “Hills”, outside of the Harbor with the intent of helping to quell the outbreak of Orc Raiding parties reported there.

We found the area just outside of Stormreach beset by Orc parties, big and small. We had heard of an attack on a Farmstead to the West and headed there. Unfortunately, we overestimated our chances and were ambushed by a formidable group of Orc shortly after beginning our trek. Out Rogue Scout was the first to die, and the rest were no match for the half dozen Orc. We regrouped and after a couple days, returned to the area.

We used Difficult Setting and it seems this was too much for a party of four in our play style. It happened so fast the only thing I could see right off was the sheer numbers.
    Note: As our Rogue learned quickly enough, Bowman in an outdoors setting, are much more dangerous than indoors.

The next time we traveled South towards the Grul Tribe. We did the module “The Captives” on Normal Difficulty.
    Again, enemy bowman made a big difference. Our two clerics pretty much spent their magic abilities by the time we defeated the Orc Leader and more than half our party had received injuries at least 50%, especially our Rogue, who drew a lot of attention with his crossbow.
    I would consider this adventure a success in D&D terms.

It seems you can not assume the same Difficulty Setting for each quest even though the party elements remain the same. Each quest will have to be evaluated separately.
    Possibly a comparison of the Base Experience Point reward might help.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by learst View Post
    Hm, NWN 2 uses fortification as well, and that was based on 3.5. Not too sure bout NWN 1. I think 3.5 greatly added more balance and corrections to 3.0.

Anyway, without spoiling too much - I think fortification should fit into your gear, if you can find it. Since you already practise such tough item restrictions, randomly finding an item of fortification shouldn't be overpowering, and heavy fort items at lower levels (10-ish) is rare and requires some grinding for special items.

I'd just like to say that the last statement is very ambiguous - how much is too many? Some quest objectives will require you to kill a named mob/boss with many hitpoints. Secondly, it's not about the mob's HP, it's your HP. As you go higher, mobs will hit much harder, and some mobs can kill you with a single crit attack (some monsters have double/triple attacks almost simultaneously) on a regularly-geared toon. Thirdly, based on sneak mechanism implemented in DDO, chances of successfully sneaking past this mobs are extremely difficult and unlikely, due to your restrictions.

Just putting this out there for your consideration.
    Agreed. My statement was rash as we still don't know what we'll be up against.
    My intent is not to pursue every quest in DDO, but to figure out which ones would be best suited to our playstyle.
    If we HAVE to play a module where a monster has thousands of HP, we'll try to prepare accordingly.
    A temporary "loan" of Fortification items comes to mind.

Thanks for the insight, it makes our attempts at this easier.

Default No Cogs on Weds.

Just to remind you guys, I'll be out of town until Thursday or Friday, so can't make the Weds ( 4/11/12 ) night meeting.

Normally I work locally, but it appears we may have about four weeks of boondocks, backwoods motel stays ahead. If this proves the case, then I'll have to solo things you run on nights I miss. With a hirling Cleric, I can run almost everything in Harbor on Hard that way.

I'll keep you posted.

Sam

Community Member

Default Short handed?

Hmmm.....Well it seems it would be a great time to recruit a fifth player to our campaign, if we can find one. With our Thief busy on a side-quest, we'll be definetely "on our toes" adventuring.

We'll have to frequent the local Taverns and such to see if a capable person can be found. Maybe they will hear of our intent and contact us. We'll see.

As a reminder, The "THACO Fellowship" is a small campaign of four player characters who are trying to recreate as much of a "old fashioned D&D game" as can be done on DDO. We play weekly, on Wednesday for 2 hours starting around 8pm EST on Thelanis Server. Currently, the party is 3rd Level at about 23,000 XP.

It is manditory that players have a working voice chat w/mic because we make heavy use of it, just like sitting around a table in the pen and paper days. Talking is just plain easy compared to typing (IMO), and coordination is just better.

At least two of our four players have not progressed beyond 6th level with any other DDO characters on any server and people that do NOT know the quests are exactly the ones we're looking for. If you're reading this and are new, consider this Guild, it would be a great way to get started.

This campaign is what people call "Perma-Death", though dieing is not as final as some would think. In a lot of Pen and paper games, if you died, you would destroy your character sheet and start new. I prefer to play a little lighter than than and, unless one of our Clerics can raise you, you would sit out the remainder of that adventure.
    That's it. Laugh, joke, bust your chops for getting killed, and take up with the party when next they play.
    You lose the XP for that particular adventure (if they make it out alive), or the adventure ends up a failure because you ended up NOT being there and weakend their ability to get out alive.
    But succeed or fail, everyone will be laughing and joking and having a great time of it.

We DO have a few rules we follow in order to stay away from what I will call "DDO mania".
    We do not "zerg". That is running everywhere and generally trying to complete the quest in as short a time as possible.
    The normal travel mode is "Creep". Which is "Sneak". We do this because in PnP, that's the way you moved.
    In DDO, it's way too easy to move too quickly and end up combining more than one encounter at a time. This is a sure fire way to end an adventure early by tipping the odds against you.
    Our style is to "think" before "fight". Though if we should ever adventure with a barbarian, that may require an adjustment.

We depend SOLELY on our Clerics to keep us alive. No Shrines, No Potions. These two items are in way too much abundance.
    Now....I want to say here.....this MAY change depending on the quests available at higher levels, but so far, we have not missed them.
    Healing is the domain of the Cleric, let's keep it that way.
    Later on, our clerics may be able to bring us back from the dead, but that is an ability that must be earned.

In our oppinion, unless there is something manditory to a quest, breakables are fuel to DDO mania and we ignore them. I realize there are quests that require examining all breakables and that is fine, but most things we should be leaving alone.
    You have to understand something about DDO. It's like a candy store. It's hard to ignore the stuff they tempt you with. And once you start taking it, it's like crack and you can't stop.

The last big "Rule" we use is the use of Magic Items. Characters are only allowed to own 1 Magic Item per level. This might seem harsh, but it's not considering our style of play. Items with more than one ability (denoted by the potential number) are counted by the potential. Again, when we reach higher levels, this might need to be amended, but for now, it's appropriate.
    New Characters are encouraged to retain the magic "Sets" they can obtain because they bestow more ability when combined than alone and would still be counted as only 2 Magic items. Later on, these can be discarded.

If any of this sounds interesting, come to Thelanis and seek us out!

If you want to start a character, do so and level him/her however you want to reach our average XP level.
    If you are at our level and you like the character you have, strip yourself of all armor, weapons and items that don't conform and seek us out.
    It would be best to chime in here on this thread and introduce yourself as we all frequent this thread. Guild members can then be on the lookout for you and help you meet us on Wednesday or see you at other times when you could talk and generally get familar with us.
    Last edited by intruder1; 04-08-2012 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by intruder1 View Post
    ...This campaign is what people call "Perma-Death", though dieing is not as final as some would think. In a lot of Pen and paper games, if you died, you would destroy your character sheet and start new. I prefer to play a little lighter than than and, unless one of our Clerics can raise you, you would sit out the remainder of that adventure.
    That's it. Laugh, joke, bust your chops for getting killed, and take up with the party when next they play.
    You lose the XP for that particular adventure (if they make it out alive), or the adventure ends up a failure because you ended up NOT being there and weakend their ability to get out alive.
    But succeed or fail, everyone will be laughing and joking and having a great time of it...
    Your free to call it what you like, but it is not what people call permadeath.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

I agree with Parvo.

If your death is not permanent, with deletion of the character immediately following, it ain't permadeath!

We are simply a bunch of folks who are trying to recreate the feel and fun of D&D table top play in the DDO world. Doing so requires manipulating what aspects of the game we utilize, and which we turn a blind eye to, and pretend do not exist for our purposes.

It's still DDO, but it is a "style" of playing DDO that is different.

That "Style" is table top Pen and Paper, circa 2.0, not permadeath.

Community Member

Didn't mean anything personnal by it. Wrong choice of words. We are merely a Static Group, would not want to be refered to as Perma-Death.
    (The following is merely my opinion. It casts no critisizm to anyone or anything else. )

Consider this rough comparison.........

Feature------------US--------------PD

PermaDeath---------No-------------Yes
    Re-Entry----------Limited-----------No
    Healing Shrines------No------------Limited
    Rez Shrines----------No-------------No
    Potions--------------No-------------Yes
    Magic Items-------Limited----------Limited
    DDO Store-----------No-----------Yes and No
    Auction--------------No-----------Yes and No
    Pre-Purchase Stuff---No-----------Yes and No
    Crafting--------------No-----------Yes and No
    Veterans Status-----Yes----------Yes
    (Please don't hold me to the letter here, I could have misread something from one of them.)

These are the features that come to mind from reading the rules from 3 different PD Guilds.
    Our Campaign restricts the most, mainly because our characters don't permanantly die.
    Also, it's the easiest set of guidlines to remember.
    Most of the PD Guild Rule Sets explain that the rules try to allow the most from DDO without unbalancing the main concept.
    This is true, they do.
    This Campaign is for those who liked the tabletop game without all the extra stuff, and to show that all that Magic doesn't have to be that important.
    It's from a time when a party of four was neccessary to stay alive and gameplay was the most important aspect.
    And most of all, the laughter and noise both when you're kicking butt and getting your butt kicked!

The point is they are all different to some degree and it is up to the player to decide which is best for them.
    Last edited by intruder1; 04-08-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Community Member

Default normal and hard difficulty

Its was a great game last week. We are 'jelling' together as a group. It proved the point being able to complete the gnull tribe after entering only 'half charged'. I think we could have have completed both quests if we had done Nazza's on normal and after having fully rested the gnull tribe on hard. Its certainly a learning curve. I solo a lot with a hireling and some quests are just 'impossible'. Its the quests with large Mobs that cause the most problems.

You mentioned Magic item sets, i take you mean the ones you get on korthos. It was our magic user who mentioned this. We should consider this(as a freebie) mainly for our rogue who seems through no fault of his own to be struggling with DDO mechanics. Like our wizard said these may be needed 'just to play the game'. As divine and arcane casters can use magic to boost abilities aswell as scroll use. Its something to think about.
    With our lack of magic items, character spells become very important. I read on the forums, thats its better to say cast resist lightning when faced with those pesky witch doctors than half a dozen heals. It can be SP cheaper to stop/reduce damage than heal it.
    Looking forward to wednesday, and making Stormreach a safer place

Community Member

Default Game night

As we are a "work in progress", alterations are inevitable if DDO demands it. Saying that, I'm still of the mindset that Magic Items are the "Candy" and should be avoided when possible.
    As the 3 of you are convinced, I see no good reason not to go with it. We'll see as we go whether it's needed or not.

Note it IS possible to obtain more than one set, and it's a good question to pose as to whether you think allowing more than one set if acceptable.

On another note, duty calls today and I will be AFK (hopefully) not later than 8pm EST. Unfortunately, I can't control the time of my arrival back home. As Cogs will also be AFK, if I'm not back by 9pm at the latest, we'll have to hold off until next week, unless Azzlorn and Grondley wish to, maybe go back and explore Kothos.

Hopefully I won't be late. Been looking forward to this all week!

Community Member

Yes i agree our policy of limited magic items is best. Its making us all look at our characters real skills. Properly making us work together. Instead of everyone just going mental and expecting the healer to keep up. You only have to look at the grouping requests list 'healer wanted' is on nearly everyone. Alivef my FvS melee generally becomes a healer when grouping. I carry a magic sheild and scepter to boost healing and SP for that purpose. I even used a feat to get Quicken, hmmmm got a free swap me thinks Alivef will be able to use heavy armour instead very soon.
    Thats the point of our group, not relying on magic just so we can get to the next level. Best of all not being upset when we fail completely
    I went to Korthos today and got the Angers step set. It was funny i didn't want to earn much xp so did casual and avoided wandering cultists and fish men. Playing to our ruleset aswell it was just to easy. I'm not sure you can get more than 1 complete Korthos set per character. I think you can only get 1 necklace as end reward for 1st time misery peak.
    When you look at the item description it doesn't have any +1+2 in corner like most magic. I am happy not using the set, we've managed ok so far. Maybe its the hard difficulty that 'requires' them. Who knows, but we will find out as the campaign goes on.

As it sounds like you may be struggling a little bit may I make a couple of suggestions.

Let you melees carry 3 magic items as long as they are weapon, shield, and armor. Having a decent ac at low levels will save your healers alot of mana. I would tell you about where to aim at but that would be spoiling.

Your rogue ranging is a good idea. Use s&b and shieldblock as a backup if he gets aggro. Make sure not to bother to shoot anything that isn't aggroed on someone else already. In order to get backstab while ranging you have to get pretty close but that usually isn't a problem.

You don't need magic items sets. Use the terrain to stay out of line of sight of casters. Doorways and walls block lightning great along with hold person, searing light and pretty much everything except ice storm which is their most dangerous spell at low levels usually only cast by named. In outdoor areas whoever has aggro from caster can try to hide behind a rock while other's blitz him. Of course use resist and every other buff you have. Extend if you don't already have it is a good temporary feat to pick up at low levels to make your buffs worth casting. Myself if I didn't have extend at low levels I wouldn't bother buffing at all and save my spell points for crowd control.

Really focus on aggro control. Sneak pulling is one of the best ways to do so and from your description you are probably already doing it. Even in the negatives for move silently and hide in shadows you can sneak pull. Approach a mob in sneak until you see the red lights around your feet appear and then back away to the rest of the group with what you've aggroed. Don't go any further after the red indicators around you feet light up. It might seem like you haven't aggroed anything but you have so bring it safely back to the group without any further aggroing. This is a good way to seperate casters from melee and break up mobs into individuals. In a mixed group casters will usually have a higher spot skill and aggro first. You don't want to sneak safely by a bunch of melee and aggro the caster at the back though. If they are spread out you'll want to aggro the closest first. If you have high sneak abilities it is actually a little harder as you can't be spotted. There are only 2 ways to get aggro I know of in this case. One is to bump the opponent which is a bad idea the other is to bluff them.

Dying in the hills on the way to a quest is a sure sign that you are in trouble but if you are unfamiliar with the area it is understandable. Still it points that you have a way to go in your aggro control skills.
    Last edited by Orratti; 04-11-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Community Member

Hard should be very do able with your style of play. You are probably doing most of these tatic but I will copy them anyways they are from the MV forums.

1. Value your characters life. Do everything in your power to make sure you live.

2. Have a plan. Things go sideways while questing, know what your contingency plan is.

3. Be a team player. Don't insult others, provoke others, etc.

4. Be aware of basic tactics.

5. Slow down or ask the rogue to slow down.

6. Be aware of your surroundings.

7. Use the party resources. Party wipes are rare. There are a lot of resources in parties that need to be consumed before deaths occur.

8. Don't be afraid to ask for resists or have pots ready. They don't do you any good if you are dead.

9. Don't feel absolutely compelled to complete the quest. A tactful retreat to come back another day is perfectly fine.

10. Practice important skills. E.g....
    - Pulling (knowing/managing distances, hitting the ground etc.)
    - Emergency healing (reacting quickly to get a heal off)
    - Movement - jumping/swimming/wall sliding/trap avoidance etc.
    - Quickly targeting the right object, monster

11. Every toon death is an opportunity to learn. "What went wrong?" "How could this have gone differently?" NOT quest memorization but thinking strategically or tactically.

12. Find your role in each party. It's not important what's the best thing your toon can do but the best thing he can do in the party (and every time that can be different..).

13. You don't have to be attacking 100% of the time. Trading aggro and spreading damage amongst the party can be a valuable tactic.

14. If you start taking a lot of damage, tell the party. If you can't self heal (via pots, spells, lay on hands, etc), don't go too far. You will probably die for that. You will be out of healing range and the party tanks cannot take the aggro of the mobs are killing you. It's much more safier shield block behind a big tower shield, waiting for the help of the party.

15. Sometimes a tactical retreat is a wise choice but it must be TACTICAL: don't run away without giving a voice to your mates. That can cause their death but also your death (you'll be isolated and vulnerable to spawning monsters). A general retreat in a good defensive position can change a easy defeat in a glorious victory.

16. You don't always have to 'help out'. If the scout is scouting ahead, give him space. If you start taking damage too quickly in a fight, back out and let the rest of the party handle it.

17. Patience is a virtue. But every encounter can take a turn for the worst. I've seen many times when the rogue bluffer/body or sound puller isolating a mob, and the rest of the party keeps moving forward gradually to attack the isolated mob. Soon enough it triggers the remaining mobs are triggered to attack, which defeats the purpose of pulling in the first place.

21. Don't use pets while being stealthy and pulling mobs. Pets can rush in and generate unwanted amounts of aggro.

22. Be careful with your summoned/ constructed pets. They can bring as much chaos and destruction as a zerger, especially if the pet is way under level. If it's a straight up melee cage match with no opportunity for managing aggro, pet's are ok. If you are pulling mobs to a kill zone or ambush point, pet's are very very dangerous.

23. There's a lot of ways to lure enemies: failing the tactic (bluffing a spellcaster for example) can be very dangerous.
    Ask to your mates before starting some lure action; they can give you some good advice.

24. Don't be afraid to be the scout. If you find yourself in troubles (that happens to scouts) be confident the rest of the party is coming to help you.

Aggro Management-
    Monsters kill. Let the tank (whether it be an Intimi-tank, the guy with the big axe, or your pet dog) gather aggro before going in for the kill. If you are a rogue, it's the best way to get the extra sneak attack damage. If you don't have a tank, have one person get the aggro and hide behind a wall while the rest of the party flanks the monster. This could be the single most important skill we have to keep ourselves alive. A useful tactic is for someone to call out who has aggro so that the other party members can charge if necessary to take out the caster firing lightning bolts into the wall.

Everyone should have a good shield on their hotbar. If you get something's aggro, the best thing to do is shield up. If you feel the need to tumble, try to do so in circles. If you run, the healer has to leave the rest of the party to chase you because heals are line of sight. If you get aggro, run towards the tank. Run right through the tank and stop on the other side of him. That way all he has to do is swing his sword and he'll kill what was after you.

Sneaking-
    If the rest of the party is sneaking, you may wish to consider it. If you could wake the dead with your move silent, you may wish to consider staying in the back until the fight starts.

Doors-
    When approaching doors, creatures on the other side cannot see you, but they CAN hear you. Sneak to the side of the door, open it and go back into sneak. Anyone who did not see you standing up will not be aware of you... as long as you didn't move before going back into sneak.

When opening doors, stay to the side. If there is a caster already aggro'd inside, they can cast a bolt of lightning at the door and hit that poor shield blocker who likely has no defense against it. The best form of 'shield blocking' I've found is to have a strong intimidator just inside the door who can intimidate anything who comes through.

If it is determined that shield blocking is the best course of action (after opening a door) only one person should hold the door. Two if the door is especially large. The more people you have on the door, the more likely that a big bad guy will use Cleave and attack the door blockers instead of focusing on the ranged guys behind. If you are the shield blocker, don't attack. If you draw the aggro, you'll be the one getting pummelled. Wait until the baddie is near death, then deal the killing blow.

Pulling Monsters-
    There are several ways to do this, depending on the creature in question. The best way I've seen so far is the bluff pull. Have the rest of the party hidden around a corner. The bluffer can get into range, select a creature (that can be bluffed... oozes, undead, etc cannot) and bluff, sneaking back towards the party where the tricked creature will meet its doom. The rest of the mob will turn towards where the bluffed creature came from, so try to pull one from the other side of the mob. Also, this appears to work through walls, so if you can get visual cover first, it's even better.

When sound pulling, turn auto-target off. The point is to NOT HIT the monster. If you hit him, all his friends will come too. Aim near his feet. Once you have his attention, he'll need to see you to come running.

Breaking boxes near creatures can work if sound pulling does not.

Last tactic if all else fails is to range someone and hope for the best. However, if you are able to range a monster without him doing anything to stop you, you must move up until he activates. If he's throwing fire pots at you, he's active.

Speaking of this, auto-attack and ranged weapons typically mean death. I recommend not using it. It's not that hard to hold down the right mouse button (or whatever your method of attack is)

Crowd Control-
    If you are lucky enough to have a CC caster in your party, pay attention to the icons over the creatures' heads. If there is a pink swirl, don't hit it! They will stay incapacitated for several seconds. Long enough for the party to go through and one by one surround the monsters and take them out quickly. You shouldn't each pick a monster and go at it- you're just wasting spell points at that point.

When you surround a charmed monster to take it down, remember not to stand directly in its face if it's a caster. It will shoot you. Also, don't constantly swing at it. The charmer has to physically click on the monster to select it, and it is near impossible when 4 guys are swinging 6 weapons at it. Since it's on your team now, Tab selection does not work.

Selective Casting-
    If you are a caster, spell points are a premium. Don't cast your maximized burning hands on a single monster about to meet its end to a shiny sword. Save maximized/empowered damage spells for red-named bosses you need to take out quickly. Let the melee guys act as your escorts and bodyguards so you can take out the boss. If you are crowd control, don't charm more than half a mob... usually if you can get one good charm in, it's better than 5. If you are the only healer, you may want to try not to cast too much in case your party needs you to really come through for them. Clerics- use those DVs if you have them... especially if you're not a capable turner.

Communication-
    Communication is key in most of our groups. it's no secret that the world of Xen'drik is a dangerous place filled with traps. Those traps may be the fire spraying towards your party, or the mob that is summonded when you pull a lever. Every lever you pull, door you open, or chest you unlock could bring death and destruction upon your party. Do not touch anything unless your party knows you're doing it. Announce your intentions, through chat or preferably voice, and wait a couple seconds to see if anyone will object. This is especially important if you don't know the quest well, or if you know it will do something bad.

While voice communication is not mandatory, and I don't believe we can make it so, it is extremely useful. And if you don't have voice, you need to have your audio turned on so you can hear the rest of your party. Even if you don't have voice, you still need to communicate through the party chat box. If you spot a trap, let everyone know! If you are the rogue, you shouldn't just stop in the hall and start searching and assume everyone will see you and stop. Tell them! It's the healer's job to keep everone healthy, but it's the rogue's job to make sure nobody wanders into avoidable danger.

If hidden 'shadow' monsters are incoming, call it out. Many times your meat-shield will have low spot and not be able to see them.

Scouting-
    Whether your scout is a rogue, ranger, monk, or just a guy with good spot, let them determine the party's follow distance. If the scout notices a gate in the ceiling, for instance, he may want everybody to enter the room together. If he's scouting out a new corner and thinks there may be a mob on the other side, he may ask everyone to stay back around the corner so he can pull instead of having a mob surround him. If your scout asks you to stay put, for the sake of the party, stay put! If you ARE the scout, be aware that wherever you tell your party to be, that's where they are, so don't try to play the hero and go in daggers blazing to die a heroic death with your party hanging out wondering why your health just disappeared.

Pay attention to your surroundings. If there's blood and bodies on the floor and walls, there is likely a trap or a big baddie. If there's a gate in the ceiling, it may come crashing down to separate the party. Even if you don't know the quests, there are visual and audio clues to let you be prepared for what lies ahead. Read the quest giver's dialogue. Sometimes it contains invaluable information like "Don't try to attack these creatures... they'll eat you for breakfast."

hope the help.

Community Member

WOW! A LOT of good info. Many thanks for these insights.

Unfortunately, I missed last nights fun. Time to start looking forward to next week.
    Azzlorn and Grondley---Stay the course guys, you're doin great!

Our thanks to Orratti and Junks for awsomely useful info. These tips will be incorporated by ALL my characters (Repeater Mechanic Rogue, Solo Clogue, RP Cleric, and a new Paladin with training wheels and learner's permit) from now on.

It looks like I will miss the game on the 18th as well. The Railroad Security job is continuing out of town, requiring motel room due to driving distance being a bit too far to manage when you only get 13 MPG in the big Dodge 4X4 truck. Honest, a 5.9 L engine sounded great back when gas was only $2 a gallon!

I'm really sorry guys, but this should only last a few more weeks (2-3 ?), then the work moves up the tracks closer to home, and back in reasonable driving distance for daily commutes.

Cogs WILL return!

Community Member

I have been reading a lot on Challenge Difficulty and the Scaling Systems used.
    It states that "Normal" difficulty is the standard for most parties, but describes the scaling as (I think) toning back on the monsters hit points, spell points, magic spells, etc.
    If Encounters were Players instead of Monsters, would the typical party be considered "Normal" Difficulty?

Elite Difficulty is explained as full access to higher level spells (as appropriate for level), Feats and Enhancements.
    Specifically, it adds that the Maximize Feat may also be allowed, which we all know is a powerful thing to use for a Caster.

Since Players all have full access to spells, Feats and Enhancements all the time, would we not be considered "Elite" Difficulty?

Page 4 of 138 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast