Page 26 of 152 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Gentlemen.....
    THAC0 is now 6th Level!

It is also quickly closing on the 6 month anniversary of the "D&D on DDO" experiment!

The thread started in February.
    By the beginning of April, there were (4) able-bodied 3rd Level adventurers officially working as a group.
    Some have bid farwell and gone along their own paths, still others have joined anew.
    We now stand at (6) players with characters learning to trust and depend on each other.
    I might easily go so far as to call them "good friends".

Many advances have been accomplished with still more to be completed.

Splinterskull, Waterworks, Steam Tunnels, just to mention a few!

It has become evident that, with Bravery Bonuses doing quests at Elite Difficulty, it is not neccessary to do every quest available in order to rise in Level.
    This means we can pick and choose Modules based upon content.

Granted, the Forgotten Realms in the Expansion might be cool looking, but we're not in this for "cool looking", are we?

If there were a selection of Heroic Quests in the lower 12 Levels over there, I'd be the first to move from Ebberon.
    (Hint, Hint)

Community Member

Cor Blimey, that long already.
    Certainly there are lots of quests to cherry pick from to suit our playstyle, i think easily/periously to level 10/12. 1 thing though quest chains usually increase dramatically in difficulty part by part. For example some quest chains start part 1 at level 4 then 3 parts later its level 6. Wilderness area's Are fun(defo D&D) and some foray's into them makes a nice break when things get tough.
    Azzlorn is off to have a chat with his trainer right now. He's a lot happier now fitting in with you much better.

P.S. i knew there was a reason why i hated/to stupid to remember/never used that character plannner because its gives u 24 ap not 20 at level 6 so raise dead is going to have to wait sorry
    Last edited by SlowDM; 09-08-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Default Instant Gratification feels gooooood!

Quote Originally Posted by SlowDM View Post
    .....P.S. i knew there was a reason why i hated/to stupid to remember/never used that character plannner because its gives u 24 ap not 20 at level 6 so raise dead is going to have to wait sorry

The problem is not with Ron's Planner, which is awsome. The Planner gives exactly the total number of Enhancement Points you earn for each Level.

Remedy: I always plan my Characters so they use two less than they earn at levels four and five, giving me four to use immediately at level six on the Prestiege Enhancement. You can also spend three points each level from two through five, to achieve the same "instant gratification" goal. This is also done with two points carried into level 12 for immediate Class Prestiege II. Ditto for Capstone at level twenty (we should be so lucky!).

You may note, Cogs has just reached level six, and has already acquired Rogue Mechanic I Prestiege via this sort of planning. He will now earn the standard four points during his work in level six, and spend them prior to advancing to level seven. Level six will have me spending a total of eight enhancement points on the journey to seven.

Have you considered resetting your enhancements with trainer, dropping four little used ones to gain Prestiege immediately, and getting the dropped ones back as you advance toward level seven?

Just sayin'.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fricko View Post
    Have you considered resetting your enhancements.........
    Quoting from the THAC0 Charter...

#10..Thou shalt maintain and respect the sanctity of your character sheet. (No character alterations without PRIOR approval from Guild)

CHARACTER SHEETS:
    Altering the character sheet should be kept to a minimum, if at all.
    Saying that, exceptions are always possible for a VERY good reason.
    With all the other characters you're able to play with outside the Guild, make THIS one unique. Make your choices and resign yourself to live with the results. It applies to all aspects of creation. Let the dice fall where they may.
    I think you'll like it more.

We have altered and even re-rolled characters because they simply weren't playable as they were. (According to the owners)
    This was discussed and ultimately approved by all.
    Are we going to "tweek builds" the way DDO'ers do it?

Owch!

Was that a Gibbs slap I just felt? *sheepish grin*

Community Member

Default Auctioneer vs Merchant

An issue came up today that has me wondering.....
    What's the difference between buying from the Auctioneer and buying from a Merchant?

In the very few comments on the subject I could find in our Forum, BUYING from the Auctioneer is not allowed.
    There are Merchants in the Marketplace and other Houses, that handle Magic Items purchased from other players. How is this different than the Auctioneer?

The charter states that Wands are allowed to be purchased, but nothing else....from anywhere.
    I can find no mention at all to ever have discussed purchasing Magic Items (other than Wands) from Merchants.

It is a constant dilegence to follow our agreed-upon charter. Self-Discipline is a skill we ALL need to develope.

If there is a reason this guideline should be amended, let's get talking.

Default Vendor Purchase vs Auctioneer Inflation

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall a long discussion on the above. The same point was made about there not being much difference. That was countered by the fact that Auction House Items were often sold for prices multiple times higher than the actual listed (on item) price that you might expect to pay if purchased from a Vendor in Market or a House Vendor.

Many times, there is little or no difference in price on lower level items, and you can actually find those low level items cheaper in Auction House than what Vendors charge. It was that frequency which formed the basis for the ban on AH purchases.

I was under the impression that Vendor purchases were to be allowed, as it was identical in nature to the D&D practice of visiting stores or shops in a city or village. In my old game, Mage, Warrior, Cleric, Rogue, all had their own specialty shops and crafters ready to assist wealthy Quester's in their needs.

Does anyone else have recollection of the discussions? I'm the one with a broken remembory! It is NOT trustworthy!

Default Auction vs Broker vs Merchant

My recollection and preference is that normal consumables such as spell components, tools, spell inscription material and heal kits, (everyone has one, right?) were ok to buy. We represent a self funded questing group, we only use what we find and trade among ourselves. Vendor wands were allowed later to replace the arcane casters's eternal wands. Starter robes doesn't count and one item of light fort doesn't count. A wand counts as one and the rest counts as its level. Remember fighter types, don't pass up a MARTIAL weapon you can't use because I can bring the masters touch spell. The wands and repair are the only expenses I have and I don't feel any shortage of plat (yet, those wands are a grand each). By this time, the brokers don't have anything better then what we are finding anyway.

The DDO planner is a great tool and I have saved 4 points so I can get my prestige right away.
    Originally posted by Aeryyn "I don't play this game for xp/min, I play for fun/hour. "

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeadHero5 View Post
    My recollection and preference is that normal consumables such as spell components, tools, spell inscription material and heal kits, (everyone has one, right?) were ok to buy. We represent a self funded questing group, we only use what we find and trade among ourselves. Vendor wands were allowed later to replace the arcane casters's eternal wands. Starter robes doesn't count and one item of light fort doesn't count. A wand counts as one and the rest counts as its level. Remember fighter types, don't pass up a MARTIAL weapon you can't use because I can bring the masters touch spell. The wands and repair are the only expenses I have and I don't feel any shortage of plat (yet, those wands are a grand each). By this time, the brokers don't have anything better then what we are finding anyway.

The DDO planner is a great tool and I have saved 4 points so I can get my prestige right away.
    Azzlorn reset enhancements at lev 6 due to levelling as stated before. You can't actually get radiant sevant and undying court raise dead with 20ap. I intend to save 4ap now and will not be tempted to reset enhancements unless necessary. Azzlorn found some magic items while level-questing and hasn't used them and even though sorely tempted with 1 or 2 i don't intend to use them. I could have easily quested for 6 named items or sets and been within our ruleset , e.g.with chronoscope set or something similar( i did for 1 item but never got it and still after numerous/multiple attemps with several other characters still haven't got it) . Azzlorn quests in our group, if i have to level then its gloves off and i will load up with what i have in bank then remove it when finished. As far as i'm concerned we only use what the Fellowship finds and 99% we cannot use anyway. I'm not happy with the wand situation but untill something ^cures^ that issue i'll live with it. Azzlorn did give Kierik a fort item he found, i was unhappy that i didn't get 1 for Grondley(sorry still haven't found 1 but something similar from a non fellowship character i will post to you)
    Buying wands from vendors only, not pawn/brokers is what is correct. Its beyond me,Why the hell would we want to buy a magic sword for instance, we roleplay, quest for it.

Just great an UPDATE on Wednesday, Log on 1st busy workers as soon as you get home then go have dinner :-)
    Last edited by SlowDM; 09-11-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Community Member

On a whim, I visited the Marketplace around noon today.
    There are (10) Pawn Brokers in the Marketplace, and while I didn't exactly count, In all there must have been over 1200 Magic Items for sale!
    That's ONE THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED!!

With a selection like that, what's the value of FINDING something?

As most agree that Magic Items should be found while adventuring, I'll make this guideline.....
    Auction house is off limits. No buying or selling.
    Marketplace Pawn Brokers: No Buying, Selling is allowed.
    Marketplace Scroll Vendor: Not allowed.
    Marketplace Wand Vendor: Allowed to purchase Wands.

Azzlorn, what is the issue you have with Wand Vendor?

Usable Magic Items are those your character FINDS while adventuring. That's all.
    (Magic Items will NOT make our party play any better! It's the players that must play better.)

Oh, Azzlorn, did you state that if you have to grind, you will use any Magic Items in your Bank?

With our present guideline to hold off leveling untill everyone has enough XP to do so should make grinding somewhat unneccessary. (Except in special circumstances)

Default Vendor Purchased Crossbow Replaced.

Well, the replacement Heavy Crossbow will be removed to personal Bank, as purchasing it from the Lady Armorer in the Marketplace was never legal to start with. It is bound to character and can't be passed on, so will be placed in Personal section of Bank.

I did find a +1 Keen Heavy Crossbow taken as a Quest Reward, previously sold by Cogs, that I have now recovered from Vendor via "Buy Back", and plan to use as the "Heavy Crossbow of Glistening Awsomeness" he referred to in the earlier story. You guys pretend it is awsome, and so will I.

My appologies for misunderstanding. I relied on a faulty memory from the time of rule development, instead of checking the current Charter.

Community Member

Yes using any items i have in shared bank is what i meant. If i had to level for a special reason like i just have thats all. No way in a million years would i have even tried to go from level 4 to 6 with our restictions.
    Azzlorn has already taken most of the 'found while levelling items' out of his bank. Gimme a chance i only have 350 banks slots to available maybe i should open a broker :-P
    I agree with your vendor rules.
    Cure wand - i just don't like it as an item slot but it does'nt matter really. It just seems a bit err, like i do with other characters eg buy 100 heal scrolls. I don't want to get into a disscussion about it. Its okay i'll live with it :-)

Default Zerging hurts!

So... In Tanglewod with an Alt, working to acquire the three documents on the third stage of quest list. The notice come up in bright red letters about server coming down at 11:15 AM EST, at 11 AM EST. I have ONE Document in hand! Gotta hurry to get the other two!

Stemwinder and WF FvS Hireling began to Zerg, near death twice due to -1 HP, but trusty Storm healed me back into the battle, and now I have TWO Documents.

Rush to disable traps in the tunnel above the shrine, leading to the balcony overlook, then see there are a frightening number of armored bad guys, supported by two Clerics, all protecting the red name with the last document.

We died horribly, recalled, and left the game with about 30 seconds to spare. I wonder if they cooked me for supper? Do they use the WF for parts in their traps?

Zerging does hurt... it also sucks for Solo w/ Hirling!

Community Member

So... In Tanglewod with an Alt, working to acquire the three documents on the third stage of quest list.
    Hmmm......well, we know what Quest we WON'T be doing tonight......

Community Member

Default Zerging hurts..

This also answers 1 or 2 of later posts

Missed me today then Cogs other character. An actual human doing the healing works, most of the time anyway. Your thoughts must have been on Alicure's behind ^^ . Sorry been doing cleaning polishing and dusting, "I do have chores in the nunnery you know" . Zerging, by that cog means running off to kill the shaman, disappearing round corners often into dark corners and best of all 'you find the exit'' i've found a lee-ver''thats it''trapped,sizzle''I'm truely amazed at all the secret places he finds and did enjoy cleansing those undead with holy light the other day.

It is awkward when some play a lot. I try to avoid quests the Fellowship are likely to do.
    It would be a good idea for you Tukcc to 'suggest' quests we should avoid or likely to do. As much as to avoid this situation as to help some others who have limited time e.g. Keirik can only swap 1 spell on game night(1 every 3 days) which would be very important if it was say an undead quest then an orc quest next week.
    Its shocking but me and cogs play more than most people work a week. BUT I can suspend disbelief and i know for CERTAIN Cogs can for a few hrs a week.

Only a few more hours to go...
    Don't worry Tukcc is in the lead, Cog's watching your front (or is that behind), Azzlorn's in the middle, Eajort's transformations amaze us all, Grondley and Kierik blast everything to bits then oh yes try and hide behind me.

Azzlorn don't care with his Choatic attitude and wants to give the Orc's a Good KICK'IN

P.S. i really hate the terms alt and toon its a character.
    Last edited by SlowDM; 09-12-2012 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by intruder1 View Post
    Hmmm......well, we know what Quest we WON'T be doing tonight......
    Why? Do we need to keep all our other similar level Characters (bows to SlowDM) out of areas THACO might venture into?

Did I walk blindly into another trapped zone?

From the Charter: "We will ENCOURAGE playing a Quest without prior experience with it. Surprise is a good thing. It allows some great game play situations and we’re trying to think as much as play. I realize most players have already seen most of the quests, but hopefully they’ll still be fun."

The above seems appropriate to Newcomers to DDO, and/or those who only play a single character, once a week, with THACO Fellowship.

I've been getting four different Characters to level 6-7 for Prestiege Enhancement over the last few weeks, running level 2-4 Quests on Elite. I have Characters in three other Guilds, mostly at levels 3 - 8, with one level 17. How do I avoid playing them in Quests THACO might take on in any given week?

I'm semi-retired... most of my waking time is spent in DDO, or related activities!

Community Member

Why? Do we need to keep all our other similar level Characters (bows to SlowDM) out of areas THACO might venture into?
    Relax. All I said was we wouldn't be doing that Quest TONIGHT.
    Only because it's too fresh in your memory.

What I'd suggest is doing Quests that we've already finished.
    And Azzlorn's correct, there SHOULD be more advance notice to prepare.

I don't expect much Undead tonight.
    I DO expect Lightning Bolts, Kobolds and Hobgoblins.

Meeting place will be the Rusty Nail. Try to arrive early if possible to discuss "preparations".

Default Defeated... by mysterious "Outside Forces"!

And we were doing so well too! Endgame, with slow and steady approach paying off respectable dividends, only to hit a wall in the rush to complete before servers went down... again.

All in all, Cogs was quite pleased with the evening, although those danged three valve puzzles had him scratching his noggin. Attention needs to be directed toward methods of defeating Skeletons and Skeleton Mages with weapons at range. Standard Bow/Crossbow do "Zero" damage to them. Azzlorn and his Radiant Servant I Prestiege, coupled with raining Light Heals on their heads, saved the day.

I think Cogs will scout as usual... but when the battle begins, he probably will be easier to find if you look at the lumpy pattern on the back of Azzlorn's armor. That will be Cogs... glued to his back, to take advantage of Radiant Healing!

Community Member

Default !5 mins of mayhem

Azzlorn had an electrifying end to our otherwise steady progress. He's still getting twitches 'zzzzz' there it goes again. At least we can't blame ourselves :-). 'zzzzz' Its easy to hit things hurting them is a different matter. Alivef is level 22 and has the same problem.
    Eajort i didn't notice your pet show up as a bar on my screen , i will have to practise something with that(for cures).
    Last edited by SlowDM; 09-13-2012 at 07:02 AM.
    Just awestruck, wether it be a Dragon flying overhead Stormreach, that glowing character who just zoomed in'n'out of the Pub, or that i can drink a Beholder under the table and best of all rescuing Damsels in distress.

Character. Alivef 1 x heroic completionist (+a few more pl's) 1 x epic completionist, and some iconic and racial pl's
    Server Thelanis

Community Member

Default Gamenight not as expected.......

“Damn! Another arrow to the chest area….and NOTHING!” Tukcc cursed to himself. His arrow shots where hitting home, but these “things” had no meat! No heart to puncture!
    The arrows where striking the skeleton without noticeable injury.

Tukcc’s ability with a bow was not helping him here. Most of the arrows were just passing thru.
    “A wider tip!” he thought to himself. “That would make a difference.”

That was the way the adventure went that night. It wasn’t until the Undead closed on their position were they able to break and shatter the brittle structures.
    If it weren’t for the Cleric’s smiting magic, I suspect few would have survived.

Cogs had his hands full this eve. Progress was inhibited by gates that were controlled by valves, protected by spike traps! He took many a spike trying to maneuver around the spikes in the first. At the second, he wisely asked for assistance turning the valves to the proper sequence.

About an hour inside, we must have become impatient, and we kinda rushed headlong into an encounter with TWO arcane Archers, supported by lesser Undead.
    The 2 Archers came at us spewing Lightning Bolts and deathly shots from their Bows!
    We were able to dispatch them and their lessers, but not before Azzlorn fell from multiple Lightning Strikes.

Gathering his body, we decided to back away from this one until we contrived a better tactic.

Page 26 of 152 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast