Page 15 of 152 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Default Combat Practice

Spent a little over an hour doing Kobold New Ringleader on Elite Solo!
    Didn't ever intend to complete it for the points as I am doing this SOLO, but Bloodknuckles helped me out by kicking the hell outta me at the end.

This was good practice against Lightning Bolt throwing Shamans!

Handled the RIGHT WAY, they should be no problem to anyone else.
    And Tukcc ONLY has 56 HP!

Don't tell me it can't be done by "squishies"!
    You don't need a tricked out, uber build either.

Community Member

Default THACO Guild CHARTER

OK guys, here it is. I'm posting it here and editing it into the first post of the thread.

THACO Fellowship Charter

The THACO Fellowship is a Guild that tries to recreate the feel of a Classic D&D Pen and Paper Adventure/Campaign generally within the confines of the 2nd Edition Rules.
    OK, realistically, there are many differences between PnP and DDO. Suffice it to say we are using what we can to accomplish the task.

Our Mission is to have as much fun playing as we might have in the PnP days.
    Imagine sitting around a table with Pizza and beverage of choice and laughing, rolling dice and even more laughing.

Here’s how we think it can be done………
    PERMA-DEATH: We are NOT Perma-Death. While I can see the point, it is not in our best interests.
    If a player dies in a Module (Quest), it only means that player is exempt from the remainder of that night’s adventure UNLESS a method of resurrection is available BEFORE the dead player Recalls.
    It has been expressed that it would be Suicide for a group of underequiped characters to attempt DDO standards, but how would you know what awaits you until you actually try?

We will ENCOURAGE playing a Quest without prior experience with it. Surprise is a good thing. It allows some great game play situations and we’re trying to think as much as play. I realize most players have already seen most of the quests, but hopefully they’ll still be fun.
    If a party suffers an Epic Fail in a Quest, that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Since we’re not Perma-Death, we can try again on another night.
    Do you REALLY want to play a game where you have such a small chance of failing?

QUEST LEVEL: In order to equalize the players to their opponents, we will be doing Quests TWO levels below the level of the Party, BUT on Elite Difficulty.
    That way, the Parties CR will more closely match that of the individual Encounters, AND the Quest will take on more of the traits we are looking for in an adventure….more HP for Monsters, harder DC for Traps, more dangerous trap damage.
    Quests will require regarding Encounters separately, the way the DMG intended.
    (Zerging in this concept, is a sure way to die.)

MAGIC ITEMS are to be restricted as much as possible.
    Especially at low levels, they are just not needed with the exception of a VERY few instances.
    At the time of this writing, we are limiting the number of magic items a character has on his body and in his pack at 1 per level.
    EVERY Magic Item is counted in this limitation and every item that carries an effect is considered a Magic Item.
    NOTE: Items with more than 1 effect will have a number in the upper right portion of it’s description box. THAT number counts towards the Item Limit.
    ALSO NOTE: Players are allowed to STORE unused Magic Items in their Banks.

MAGIC WANDS:
    Eternal Wands will not be allowed.
    Wands, regardless of level or charges, are to be counted at a Magic item with a Potential number of +1.
    It has been agreed upon that Wands CAN be purchased by Vendors.
    (They are an extension of a casters power and should be allowed as such)
    (Their expendability will compensate for their power )
    Scrolls can only be found, not purchased.
    Scrolls can be inscribed as needed, or stored (without restriction) in a backpack.
    Since we can only have FOUND Scrolls and they are not too plentiful, there should be no limit as to amount the caster can have.

THIS, we feel, is the key to D&D playing.

CHARACTER SHEETS:
    Altering the character sheet should be kept to a minimum, if at all.
    Saying that, exceptions are always possible for a very good reason.
    With all the other characters you're able to play with outside the Guild, make THIS one unique. Make your choices and resign yourself to live with the results. It applies to all aspects of creation. Let the dice fall where they may.
    I think you'll like it more.

COMMENTS FROM QUESTIONS:
    If a character dies "AND THERE IS NO ABILITY TO RAISE THEM", the character recalls and is removed from the party for that Adventures duration UNLESS they can be raised BEFORE they Recall, otherwise they rejoin the party when the module is resolved. (Notice I didn't say completed)

Yes, we are not Permadeath. We are not completionists either.
    We play as if sitting around a table in a campaign as close to old skool style as we can. If a Party enters a Dungeon, there is no guarantee they will get out again. That's the way the game is played. OUR difference is if you die, you get to come back again and try again.
    Characters of our campaign will never know how long it will take to reach any specific level of achievement, or even IF they will reach it at all, but it is expected that each game night there will be from 1 to 3 Quests.
    (Up thru 4th Level, it has taken an average of 10-12 game nights to gain a level)

This Guild started with 1st level characters and used lower difficulty quests to grind to the starting point of 3rd level. Afterward, it was realized that we could have used the Veteran Status to start at 4th Level and 2nd Level Quests.

IN GAME ITEMS:
    DDO is designed to be “Magic Rich”. Our Guild will ignore as much as possible in order to keep the spirit of Basic D&D.
    We will NOT use Shrines…Period.
    We will not use potions, UNLESS it’s use is critical to the mission.
    We will ignore all breakables UNLESS we have to obtain something critical to the Quest.
    No use of the DDO Store Items EXCEPT for a reason that is unanimously approved of by the Guild.
    No Items purchased from the Auction House, but selling at the Auction house is allowed since it benefit’s the characters consumable supplies.

All these restrictions add up to one thing……
    An adventure that pit’s the Characters ABILITIES (Not Gear) against that of the Monsters.
    An adventure where players DEPEND on each other and a characters death could have dire consequences.
    Likewise, a characters death does not mean the player must start over. It means he/she loses out on the remainder of that night’s spoils.

I am going to suggest (as some of you have already hinted) that we abandon Quivers and any "Bag". There is PLENTY of room in a pack for what we need, quest to quest. Plus it will give us something "more" to think about in a support theme. We'll actually have to dig thru our pack every so often and throw some of the "junk" out to make room for something valuable.

MULTI-CLASSING:
    My point of this play style was to have the progression as close to D&D as DDO would allow.
    Since we can't divide XP between classes, the next best thing is to raise classes alternately, except allow a (2) level difference just to have some leeway.

2nd Edition split the XP evenly. Without racial factors, class level separation wouldn't occur until higher overall level because of differing xp requirements per class.

3rd Edition allowed selective multi-class leveling, but penalized class separations of more than 1.

As we already have enough "Class Crafting" going on, I think the 2 level max would be appropriate, giving you 7/9 or 9/11. Not bad.

Veteran Status is OK. I'd hate to grind to 7th level to join the group!
    Class restrictions include Artificer, Warforged and Favored Souls.
    (The Guild has 1 Favored Soul as a member, and we’re evaluating the class’s impact on game balance)

Race restrictions include Drow and Half-Orc due to Racial relations from the rulebook.
    Half-Elf is acceptable.
    Dwarven is acceptable, but I'd expect the player to exhibit sarcasm and criticism toward Elvish members and vice-versa whenever possible to maintain some color.

Players who get 32 pt build can not use 28 and therefore we would be preventing them from joining. It is going to be just a bonus we can’t do anything about.

When I first thought about this concept of ours, I rolled LOTS of dice for days to see how it worked with the DDO process.
    The best results came from (6) numbers of 3d6+1, placed where you wanted them and dividing any left over points evenly.
    That eliminated Min/Max and Elves didn't have Low Dexterity or High Constitution scores and Dwarves didn't have Low Constitution Scores. It gave you a logical character for Class and Race.
    It is expected that each character, regardless of race, will NOT have the same type of stats, ie, High Primary, High Con and average to lacking everything else.
    Elves are EXPECTED to have high DEX and Lower CON. Dwarves are EXPECTED to have Higher CON and STR.
    Don't BUILD.....Create a character that is Dungeons and Dragons.

Wish Items:
    Looking at DMG (2nd and 3rd Editions), Tomes (or Manuals) are "Wondrous Magic Items" and come up very rarely. +1's are "Medium Wondrous" and higher are "Major Wondrous".
    Levels 1-5 could get only Minor Items.
    Levels 6+ could get Medium and 10+ could get Major.
    Further, Major items at 10th level only had 1% chance and 20th Level had 34%.
    (do not quote me on these figures, it's a very general comparison)
    Bottom line…..Tomes are VERY, VERY rare!

This is my suggestion....
    A character can benefit from ONLY 1 tome is their lifetime.
    It must be a FOUND Tome and must be found in a GROUP adventure and witnessed by all.
    Player can decline it's use, but must give it to an assigned party member to be SOLD.
    If declined, it will be treated as if player never received it, allowing them to find another.

I'll try and summarize the "Commandments".

#1...Thou shalt not Shrine.
    #2...Thou shalt not take advantage of the game. (No Twinking)
    #3...Thou shalt not carry more than 1 Magic Item/Factor pre level.
    #4...Thou shall ONLY retain items FOUND in adventures.
    #5...Thou shalt not use potions. (VERY strict exception to be reviewed as needed)
    #6...Thou SHALL be allowed to use Wands and Scrolls. Wands may be purchased, Scrolls must be found.
    #7...Thou shall ONLY use Auction House for selling, not Buying.
    #8...Thou shalt not use ANYTHING from anyone outside of Guild. Own account included. (No Twinking)
    #9...Thou SHALL be able to use Merchants for Non-Magic Items (And Magic Wands) as necessary to Class Function.
    #10..Thou shalt maintain and respect the sanctity of your character sheet. (No character alterations without PRIOR approval from Guild)
    #11..Thou shalt not receive/use "Wish" items that are not FOUND. (Tomes, etc)
    #12 No ZERGING
    #13 Standard mode of movement is in "SNEAK" mode, barring combat, retreats, and misc actions forbidden by sneak.
    #14 A character that dies in a quest and cannot be revived or raised by party abilities, the slain character must RELEASE spirit and LEAVE the party. When the party returns from that quest to the place where the slain character's spirit is bound, the character may rejoin the party for further adventures.
    #15 Unless otherwise approved by the guild, characters can only solo quests that have a "SOLO" difficulty.
    #16 Thou shalt use voice chat, and talk freely in-or-out of character as you desire (like table-top PnP)
    #17 THACO Fellowship is essentially a static group that meets on Wednesday at 7:30 EST (GMT-5) for 2 hours of playing time.
    Last edited by intruder1; 07-02-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Community Member

Spent 2 and a half hours last night in Butchers (Elite).
    It was textbook old school DnD. The only thing extra that was needed was a Healing Wand because you DO take damage with a drawn out fight.
    Lightning Bolt yeilding Kobolds made life difficult, but you either got to be right in their face or a LONG distance off.

The new combat system maked ranged combat a cinch, because you never miss! (Well, hardly)

Another thing I noticed was the AI is acting more "realistic" than I remember.
    At one point, 3 spellslingers had me cornered and weren't letting up. I took one bolt and ran off thru an obscure cloud and hid behind a far corner.
    They stopped, wandered back and forth and 2 of them turned and left, leaving one to guard. It was as if they couldn't see me and assumed I was dead. I realize this was because of aggro decay, but it was cool just the same.

NOTE: Just realized Wednesday is the 4th over here in the US. Not really sure if I'll be around that night, we'll see.

Community Member

Default Like the new charter

AI being more realistic. I agree , it could be said the game is easier. I'm hoping this lets us be able to play our character better, in our style. It seemed to last week, less 1 hit you're dead unless of course you run into a pack of wolves with Ham in hand :-) What other delights the new DDO rules bring us will be fun.

The only thing we should consider is letting rogue have +thief tools free from restriction only. Just thief tools not +disable ect magic items. Even more so than magic user with wands its a critical piece of kit. Again having said that we've managed quite well without.

I;m going to be there on wens so if you lot from USA are busy celebrating :-) . Let me know as it will be july 5th in the UK LOL .

Off to do shopping now and just maybe a "Quick pint down the Pub"

P.S> Azzlorn got 6652 platinum on AH for 10 deadly feverblanches, which has boosted airship fund. Just shows you that even without grabbing everything in sight you can do very nicely sir.
    Last edited by SlowDM; 07-03-2012 at 08:04 AM.

Community Member GnollsNotTrolls's Avatar

Default 2nd Guild suggestions on Thelanis?

For non-Wednesdays, I've been playing with Core HC on Kyber (2/2 Dwarven Ranger/Barb). I also have a non-guilded 3rd level Elf Rogue on Thelanis that needs a guild for easier grouping when I play with him. Any suggestions from the THACO Fellowship on good Guilds on Thelanis? On a similar note, are there any other limited-magic guilds? I can only find some permadeaths that limit magic acquisition outside of adventure, but not overall amount.

Community Member

Default Gnolls

Its Azzlorn. I'm in a friendly guild on Thelanis but doubt it would suit your playstyle. Its mostly UK time aswel. Complete opposite of the Fellowship. No rules but must play regular and of course must get along with other guildies. They level so fast it amazes me. They're not out and out power gamers but haste never creep .
    Look out for Alivef, Runikz or Alithur Pendragon(my new Druid )

Community Member

Still trying to make it tonight. Prob will.

I KNOW for a fact that with the right tactics, we can make a go of this.
    I realize we need to increase progression rate.
    I realize you're not confident we can do this without (much) Ebberon Magic.

Tukc has made it to the end of 3 Quests on Elite SOLO, with only the addition of a Healing Wand!
    Durk's, Kobold New Ringleader and Butcher's Path! (THAT was a tough one!)

I'm going to prove there are more. Wanna help me?

See you tonight! (Hopefully)

Default No Show.

Finally got a few minutes to post. Just arrived home from work, only to find the City Officials have decided we had enough rain recently to allow fireworks and BBQ. I'll not make it after all. Going to Daughter's Party instead. Sorry guys. Good luck!

Thumbs up

I've been a bit absent on the forum-- I posted a short question about side guilds (Thanks SlowDM), but I didn't read the previous posts (dunno why, I love this thread-- maybe my fragile mind got confused when the recent messages went into the inbox instead of the thread). I missed some interesting stuff!

TUKcc rolling through Butcher's solo on ELITE is impressive! That's a good team captain. Every time I start to doubt, you bring me back into the fold. Looking forward to trying out improved tactics to avoid the scorchy feeling of shamanic lightning...

I was starting to worry too much about what magic to keep to improve tasks like bluffing and such, when I realized that all Capitan needs to do to succeed in his party role is sing, hit things, and stay alive. Makes choosing my "load-out" much easier. (big two handed weapon? check. armor? check. a full tank of "awesomeness"? check-check.

Oh, I approve any character changes being asked, since I didn't pipe up earlier. Seems they've been carefully considered and reviewed.

On with the experiment! See you next Wednesday. AND DON'T PANIC! (nice video link, SlowDM)

Community Member

Default THACO reaches Level 5

With 4 out of 6 members adventuring last night, we completed the requirements for the Guild reaching Level 5!
    Any Guild members who have not leveled, but have the points to do it, may now do so at their leasure.

Last night I had the pleasure of observing (from ghost form) 3 Guild members tackling Durk's and New Ringleader on Elite.
    In both quests I ended up in the "grey zone" because, I was talking too much and took a Lightning Bolt in the face, and second, dueling with a spellcaster, I forgot there was a trap in front of me.

What I DID witness was an outstanding effort by 3 characters to best 2 Adventures that could have EASILY been the death of them all.

What we concentrated on last night was the value of tactics that departed from the standard, 2 echelon, fighters backed with healers/ranged attacks.

The pinnicle of the night was watching our Wizard and Soccerer come back from being routed when our Favored Soul got pummeled, hunting down the vile Ogre "Bloodknuckles" and terminating his existance with extreme prejudice!

Default Quote of the Night

DING
    Tukcc has died
    Kierik; 'Time to bring out the summons'
    Grondley; 'Tuk, you're being replaced by a dog, a rat, and a spider'

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I HAVE to learn to wait a bit more when attacking to finish a combat. I don't like having our summons or fellow adventures taking more damage then they need to , but I have to know that I can finish the monster off before it turns and reaches me. Those shaman lightning bolts have incredible range. Nothing like having one crackle past your head, and you can't even see where it's coming from.

I had been using the scorpion for a while, but I think the spider is better, it hangs back to attack and the web was strong enough to hold several of the kobolds.
    Last edited by LeadHero5; 07-07-2012 at 09:39 AM.
    Originally posted by Aeryyn "I don't play this game for xp/min, I play for fun/hour. "

Default I Hope the Orcs don't have a +3 Shoe of Squishing vs. Spiders

Quote Originally Posted by LeadHero5 View Post
    DING
    Tukcc has died
    Kierik; 'Time to bring out the summons'
    Grondley; 'Tuk, you're being replaced by a dog, a rat, and a spider'

I HAVE to learn to wait a bit more when attacking to finish a combat. I don't like having our summons or fellow adventures taking more damage then they need to , but I have to know that I can finish the monster off before it turns and reaches me. Those shaman lightning bolts have incredible range. Nothing like having one crackle past your head, and you can't even see where it's coming from.

I had been using the scorpion for a while, but I think the spider is better, it hangs back to attack and the web was strong enough to hold several of the kobalds.
    That spider has grown. What are you feeding it, and keep it away from Capitan (thing freaks him out!)

It's cool we're learning to "phase" our assault better. Front man initiates with hard hit, then backstabs and/or killing magic. OR the crowd controls are whipped out and the victims are finished off via automatic crits. I love it when someone holds or commands a monster! Been working on trips as well- really puts shamans off their game. Capitan has enjoyed teaming up on monsters to quickly dispatch them. Next challenge is to fascinate in sneak, then have Tukcc focus our attacks on individuals one at a time starting with those that saved vs the song. that way the zoners are killed off at our leisure, instead of chipping away at all of them.

Side note: I leveled up to 2nd level Barbarian, and didn't get Uncanny Dodge (the active version)! I listed it as a trouble ticket, and it appears there are also some glitches where 5th level Barbs didn't get Improved Uncanny Dodge either! I feel so robbed- I really could use that DODGE! Hopefully it gets worked out before Wed...

Community Member

Default Which spell will help?

Never have i had such difficulty picking a spell. I only get 1 more 2nd level. I have Hold person allready.
    Which 1 comments appreciated
    Cure moderate wounds (I have a wand to do this which i can have as my next magic item but would prefer not)
    Owls's Wisdom will help me and Cogs mostly. Tukkcc and cap any use to u?
    Eagle's splendour INT +4 anyone
    Aid 1d8 + 1 hp/lev
    Summon Monster 2 a freakin scorp, black widow, or pesky bat.
    Soundburst 1d8 sonic dam small AOE and each creature must succeed on a Fortitude save to avoid being Stunned for 6 seconds.
    Like sorc i can pay to swap spell but intend to only do this if quest specific.

Community Member

Default Character info

Msg from Kierik......

>--------------

Spells:
    Level 1: Burning Hands, Charm Person, Nightshield, Summon Monster I
    Level 2: Scorching Ray, Invisibility

Notable skills:
    Hide/Move Silently: +6 each
    Spot: +1
    Bluff: +13

Notes:
    --Charm works OK against regular kobolds, below average against warriors, and poorly against all other kobold types.
    --I have only a single element type, which is useless against oozes and anything fire resistant.
    --I thought Cogs might like Invisibility. Other than buffing him, I'll use it for defense.

>-----------

Community Member

Default Recent developments

Spent some time working with Cogs on his impending re-roll......
    It has been determined that in order to be functional in Elite Quests in finding/disarming traps, he will need a 'offset' to his Spot/Search skills.
    This offset is purly administrative and is neccessary to do Elite Traps without undo assistance.
    He will be using a DDO store item that will not be counted against his Magic Item limits as it's purpose is to bolster his Spot/Search Skill up to a minimum level.
    In return, his re-roll will focus on maxing his Spot/Search skills and build selections will be placed there before any other selections.

Second........
    We have a new Guild prospect. His name is Eajort (pronounced "A-jort"). He will be our first Druid member and should be meeting with us on Wednesday.
    He is up to speed with our guildlines and it will be good to add him to our group.

It got past me somehow that Azzlorn was a few hundred XP short of his 5th level the other night. I doubt he will find it difficult to level up before Wednesday.
    Azzlorn--I appologize for the oversight. We should have resolved that the other night.

Third........
    I have been recording our XP progress since April. Adventuring once a week for 2 hours, our progress is around 2.5 to 3 months.
    While this does not bother me, the rest of you feel it should not take that long.
    It would be great if ALL of us could play longer, but that is not the case and it prob never will.
    One suggestion I would make is to use the Lesser Tome of Experience we received from the expansion. That way there will be more bang for each Quest. I know there may be some of you that don't have it.
    In that case I would be willing to foot the cost of buying it for the general good of the Guild.

Community Member

Default Elite Traps discussion

The current state of Elite Trap DC’s

It is a documented fact, and confirmed by comments from Turbine, that an imbalance exists with Trap DC’s and Damage in Elite Difficulty.
    My focus (in regards to our Guild alone), has been to try to determine the DC of traps before we adventure as part of my prep for game nights.
    With this information, I can better determine if our Rogue-Types will be able to be useful, because if they are not, Elite Quests will probably be unplayable.

Firstly, our policy of playing 2 levels below party level, but on Elite probably gives us an edge in DC’s because I “think” DC’s gain ~ 5-7 points on Elite vs. Normal.
    Our Rogues will be 2 levels higher also, which gives them 2 more points.

Beyond that it’s going to be a matter of testing.
    My suggestion is common sense. Rogues SHOULD be maxing SEARCH, DISABLE and UNLOCK all the time, every level.
    SPOT can be added to that list IF you don’t want to do it the old school way by searching every place there isn’t a flat wall on each side. (Think about it, that’s where all the traps are)

While I’m not an expert at building, a Human Rogue with a Good INT score should be able to get a SPOT of 12 and a SEARCH of 13 at 5th Level without giving up too much other things the player may have wanted for the Rogue.
    The 3rd Level Quests we’re about to get started on are going to begin with a Trap DC of 18. We know this thru testing with 2 differently built Rogues.
    What we needed was an “offset” to compensate for the difference. What we decided on was the SPOT and SEARCH +5 HOOD from the DDO store. It will fill the need and can be discarded when (if) the problem gets fixed.

Understand that this merely allows the Rogue to FIND the Trap. Disarming it is still a BIG concern since disabling uses a dice roll. Personally, I’m ok with that as I LIKE to see chance play a part.

Modifications to DISABLE DEVICE is still up to the Player with FEATS, ENHANCEMENTS and TOOLS that may be found.
    YOU JUST GOTTA ASK YERSELF…..DO YA FEEL LUCKY?…..PUNK?

Below are copies from postings I’ve gone over pertaining to TRAPS. You don’t need to read it, unless you’re just interested in what others may have said on the subject.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elite traps are currently way harder then anything else on elite difficulty (although some of the spells are fairly dangerous now too).

That being said you can handle them if you set your character up right.

Few things that help.

Get heroism spell effects .... ~+2

Make sure you have fox's cunning ….. ~+3

Make sure you grab your rogue skill boost enhancement and the disarm traps/search enhancements as well. Up to +6

In addition get the house favor to allow purchase of higher lock picks..which will boost your disarm skill even more.

Disarm is actually more important as the search required can be easily reached using above methods, the disarm skill level needed to not fail on a 1 is much higher though. You can pump the disarm skill level early on by taking a skill focus feat in it. This can be switched out later (for free, everyone gets 1 free feat exchange) when you no longer need it. Toughness is often a good feat to switch in later when it'll do more good.

On traps it helps greatly to have evasion and boosting reflex saves. Cats grace of course helps as well, and don't forget your uncanny dodge bonus.

The biggest difference I have noticed is not on traps DC to disarm (or search) but on the DC to save vs the traps themselves. My character actually took lightning reflexes as a bonus monk feat because of this. Long term I'll switch it out, but early on it sure helped with some of the high DC reflex save low lvl elite traps.

I ran MIA on Elite last night and the secret door DCs were 15. I know this because I could spot them with a 15 but could not search them with 14. (I'm pretty sure spot and search DCs are always the same.) I needed to boost (+3) to search the secret doors.

Your search must have been 15 (=2 drow + 3 int + 6 ranks + 1 enhancement + 3 item). With a +2 boost that would put you at 17, which is what I had. My guess is that 15 should have been enough. I'm not sure why that didn't work. Perhaps I've got the numbers wrong somewhere.

That being said, the elite trap situation has me concerned.

Could I build a character that can scout even in the current situation? Of course. But scouts already die at a rate higher than any other character type. Low HP, low fort saves, low will saves, low AC, situational DPS...scouts have a lot of vulnerabilities. Most die to spells or melee. Putting more build resources into traps makes these characters even more vulnerable to things that are likely to kill them. I'm not opposed to traps being a difficult element of the game. I'm all for it so long as the rest of the environment matches. That would allow us to choose appropriate difficulty and maximum fun. As it stands, the only ways we'll progress are more optimized scouts , or choosing hard difficulty which is lame and boring.

Balance and scale
    If the dungeon is say..level 4
    a 4th lvl rogue with balanced skills should be able to spot traps 100% find trap box 100% disarm 90%
    on normal
    on hard it should be the same for a rogue with good gear or spec for trap
    on elete it should be do-able by a rogue that is both spec'd trap AND good equipment

the expansion thru all that out the window..and the developers are being silent about it
    because it is not a bug..they knew it would happen because of the new combat system
    Don't expect them to 'fix' it..they would need to make an all new system for traps
    and write a ton of code...and they are not going to do that. They are going to be silent,
    and wait until folks get tired of complaining.

OK, if I got this right (from the devs) we once again have to wait until perhaps the next hotfix or update 15. I will go and tell my low level guildies. There, I am sure, will be much rejoycing...

Wow! It seems I picked the wrong "Fireworks" to attend on Weds night! You "squishy" guys appeared to have pulled off the impossible, and I would have loved to have witnessed it! Of course, I would have been a dead witness, tossing ribald commentary at you from beside Tukcc! LOL

Tukcc, I read the refurbished Charter, and think it well done. I agree with the rule set, and with our stated goals.

I have a Lesser Tome of Learning, should everyone decide to go that route.

Now, to get to Cogs recent problem with trap finding and disarming. I finally re-rolled Cogoiler with the free Rez, and came away with a "Naked" Spot of 13, and Search of 12. Those two are boosted to 18 with approved items. They can be boosted to 21 with +3 Rogue and Human Skill Boosts (5 each, for 10 total).

He has a "Naked" Disable Device of 11, and Open Lock of 11, both of which go to 12 with his first two enhancements as a Level 5. DD and OL are currently 14 with approved items, and 17 with the Rogue and Human skill boosts.

Bottom line: Cogs is now a playable character, in the manner we choose to address DDO. He /should/ be able to Spot Traps, and Search them out, but you might want to stand behind something sturdy, when he attempts to Disable! He does have a slightly depleted Wand of Foxes Cunning, that coupled with Skill boosts, gives him a DD of 19. He only has a 25% chance of using it successfully though.

We shall see how the "New" Cogs handles his tasks next week, Olladra willing, and the creek don't rise!

=
    Last edited by Fricko; 07-06-2012 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowDM View Post
    Never have i had such difficulty picking a spell. I only get 1 more 2nd level. I have Hold person allready.

Which 1 comments appreciated

Cure moderate wounds (I have a wand to do this which i can have as my next magic item but would prefer not)

Owls's Wisdom will help me and Cogs mostly. Tukkcc and cap any use to u?

Eagle's splendour INT +4 anyone?

Aid 1d8 + 1 hp/lev

Summon Monster 2 a freakin scorp, black widow, or pesky bat.

Soundburst 1d8 sonic dam small AOE and each creature must succeed on a Fortitude save to avoid being Stunned for 6 seconds.

Like sorc i can pay to swap spell but intend to only do this if quest specific.
    I can see the Aid being a big help to Cogs, but in truth, Tukcc has developed a method of "pulling" Mobs back into an ambush that looks reallly promising. The "Pet" waiting at the ambush site might be a better use of the spell slot.

I know from experience that Sound Burst/Sonic spells are quite effective against groups.... but I'd still think the Pet ambush would be something workable.

Lots of pets/swords/spells waiting would be even better... as Cogs races through them to hide somewhere far from the combat! "INCOMING!"

Decisions... decisions... are we having fun yet? *wicked grin*

=

Default minor correction

Quote Originally Posted by SlowDM View Post
    Eagle's splendour INT +4 anyone
    Eagle's Splendor is CHA, not INT.

Really enjoying following this thread, guys. Keep up the good work.
    Argonessen: Mortal Voyage Permadeath Guild
    Ghallanda: Friends Of Nice And Slow

Community Member

Default Interesting post

I enjoy reading different oppinions and views....

Quote Originally Posted by GermanicusMaximus View Post
    [shrug] I hear what you are saying, but at this point this is really no surprise. The devs intent to nerf divine casters has been apparent for some time.

This game is becoming entirely melee focused, and for a good reason. The people who only have the skill to play melee toons are very willing to drop real life coin on Turbine in order to feel good about themselves, and Turbine's entire focus has shifted from producing a quality game to cashing in as much as possible while this game is still viable. If you doubt that, simply look at the number of bugs in the game.

Refusing to PUG on a divine? No. Refusing to PUG as a hjealer? Check. I made that game play change as soon as the open beta release notes became available. I really enjoyed my "balanced group" Shroud run where I only healed myself and spent my time offensive casting. We completed, but I did notice that the "hjealer" that hadn't caught on yet was working really hard, and still let a lot of people die. Bad hjealer, bad hjealer!

The good news is that the game is actually easier solo, assuming you have properly built and geared your toon. Yes, even on a cleric. Those melee toons you have grouped with have always been dead weight that you had to tote along, and its not because of any deficiencies in the melee classes themselves.

So, go out and still enjoy the game. I know I do, on the increasing rare occasions where I bother to log on.

One of the lessons of life is that there are an unfortunately large number of people who will attempt to scam you. Avoiding being scammed is satisfying in itself. I'm happy to say that I still have my $80.

If you really want to judge the corporate character of Turbine, all you have to ask yourself is this: "What kind of game company would nerf a core feature of a class, not announce it in the release notes, refuse to acknowledge the issue on the forums, and then slide it into the patch notes as correcting a mistake in a text description?"

Heal pots now in the DDO Store! I'm sure its pure coincidence.

Page 15 of 152 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast