Page 103 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 2654

Default RIP Jac...

I have released Jac from my servitude. I see that I too suffered from his hubris and lust for power. I will move on and concentrate my energies on MY magic.

Looking at Archmage now, the best defensive specialization is abjuration, with shield, resist, protection and stoneskin available. The best offensive line is evocation with magic missile, gust, chain missile, and fireshield. Each of those takes 5 AP in the tree, so they are a loooong way away. I'll take the first level and then Energy to get 60 sp back. I hope to have human done by game time and see what Tuk thinks.

Tuk thinks "SLA IS TOO OP, CAN'T HAVE!!". Should have remembered that from last year.
    Last edited by LeadHero5; 05-23-2014 at 11:50 AM.

Originally posted by Aeryyn "I don't play this game for xp/min, I play for fun/hour. "

Community Member

Default Record sheet screenshots

Please post a screenshot like this one.....1st Page Record sheet in background with Enhancement screen in forground.

Last edited by intruder1; 05-21-2014 at 05:35 PM.

Community Member

Default GEM "Turn-Ins"

In Ebberon (DDO), common mundane and misc minor items are so common, they are freely sold in as much quantity as a player likes.
    So much so, they lose the value they are meant to represent.

Potions, Scrolls, Magic Ammunition and other rare items were always exciting to find because they were just that…..not expected and most times, very useful, and temporary.

The playstyle we use makes these Ebberon style things nonexistent because we can not use the vendors that have them. What I present is a way to put them back in the game by using something we all know to be useless….Gems.

The way it works is a character at some point “turns in” a group of Gems in return for a collection of items roughly equal to the value of the Gems that are turned in.

A “series” of items is determined in advance by a set of dice tables whose values I derived from the 1st Ed. Treasure Tables. As each item in the series is then assigned to the player, the value of the item is deducted from the value of the gems.
    This assignment is continued until the total gem value is reached.
    While assigning items, if the value of an item exceeds the remaining gem pool value, the item is skipped.

1st Ed DMG
    “The random determination table needs no explanation. Because of its weighting, and the weighting of the MAGIC ITEMS table, most treasures will have magic potions, scrolls, armor and weapons. This is carefully planned so as to prevent imbalance in the game.
    Keep potent magic items rare.”
    “As mentioned previously, the magic items table is weighted towards results which balance the game.”
    “This is done in order to keep magic users from totally dominating play. They are sufficiently powerful characters without adding piles of supplementary goodies.”

What is gained from this system will typically be used up and discarded, preventing a little bit of the power creep which is ever present.

In the following posts I will show you the tables I am using to make this work.

Quote Originally Posted by intruder1 View Post
    Please post a screenshot like this one.....1st Page Record sheet in background with Enhancement screen in forground.

Just curious, it shows 48 points spent, but only 47 are in racial. Where is the missing AP?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    Just curious, it shows 48 points spent, but only 47 are in racial. Where is the missing AP?
    In the root of the Arcane Archer Tree. At the time I didn't know how to elliminate the unused Trees, so it was not able to be shown.
    But thanks for pointing that out. Saved me the trouble of doing so.

Oh, and before you ask, the Dragonmarks aren't used in our playstyle and the highest Core Enhancement isn't available for quite a few levels yet.
    Last edited by intruder1; 05-28-2014 at 10:11 AM.

In the root of the Arcane Archer Tree. At the time I didn't know how to elliminate the unused Trees, so it was not able to be shown.
    But thanks for pointing that out. Saved me the trouble of doing so.

Oh, and before you ask, the Dragonmarks aren't used in our playstyle and the highest Core Enhancement isn't available for quite a few levels yet.
    Haha - I wasn't going to ask about DM's, didn't even notice. I just noticed the 48/47 for some reason and was curious.

I probably should have guessed the AA though, since you have it selected in racial. It would be silly to spend 4AP to unlock AA and not use it.
    Last edited by Fedora1; 05-28-2014 at 11:07 AM.

Community Member

It would be silly to spend 4AP to unlock AA and not use it.
    Funny you should say this.....( This outta get a response!)
    The way we're using Enhancements, they are regarded as the book definition of Prestige "Class".
    Prestige is a pinnicle (cant spell) set of abilities that are only achieved after YEARS of experience.
    This further separates DDO "building" from our playstyle and delays gaining these powerful enhancements until at least 11th Level.

You have to fill EVERY FILLABLE spot in your Racial Tree before putting points in your preferred Prestige Tree.
    That means even things that you may not be able (or want) to use, excluding things that we have agreed to exclude across the board.

(please remember that we are doing these things in order to keep our characters balanced for "Normal" Difficulty)

Funny you should say this.....( This outta get a response!)
    The way we're using Enhancements, they are regarded as the book definition of Prestige "Class".
    Prestige is a pinnicle (cant spell) set of abilities that are only achieved after YEARS of experience.
    This further separates DDO "building" from our playstyle and delays gaining these powerful enhancements until at least 11th Level.

You have to fill EVERY FILLABLE spot in your Racial Tree before putting points in your preferred Prestige Tree.
    That means even things that you may not be able (or want) to use, excluding things that we have agreed to exclude across the board.

(please remember that we are doing these things in order to keep our characters balanced for "Normal" Difficulty)
    So will AA be your prestige class? Can you dabble in more than one? It looks like you have filled every fillable racial enhancement based on your level so far.

Good catch Fedora! AA is a prestige class... no? Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by zefjoe View Post
    Good catch Fedora! AA is a prestige class... no? Hmmmm...
    Whoa hold on there. lol

I'm not trying to catch anyone at anything. I'm just curious. I know intruder truly wants to play a balanced and D&D style, he would be the last one I'd suspect of trying to bypass any house rules you guys have. I am guessing that he has filled all (currently) fillable racial enhancements and started on the AA. Unless there is a rule that says you have to bank AP until there is nothing left in racial at all? I follow the thread but don't pay as much attention to your house rules in detail, just in general terms.

Community Member

Whoa hold on there. lol

AA "IS" my Prestige choice, why else would I put a point in it? (Calibhan)
    When I (we) reach the point where a point can be put in the last Core enhancement, I (we) will.

(Setting the example is such a tedious endevore!)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magiker View Post
    This isn't true. I reset my enhancement tree and tried it out. No bonus to damage. I was sneaking/etc. The enhancement gives +1 sneak attack die. But if you don't have sneak attack, apparently it does nothing.
    Test Subject: 7th Lvl Halfling wielding Normal Short Sword against a Standard Bugbear.

The Chart below was created after 5 hours of testing by performing a sneak attack by each Class against the same target and identical conditions.

RESULT: A non-Rogue Halfling will not get to-hit bonus with first 3 points in Sneak Atk, but WILL get the +3 "to-Hit" with each Upgrade!
    This applies to all Halflings.....even Wizards!

Column 1 = BAB
    Column 2 = BAB+Size Bonus + STR Bonus
    Column 3 = Column 2 + Flanking Bonus
    Column 4 = Column 3 + 1st Point in Halfling Sneak Atk
    Column 5 = Column 4 + 2nd point in Halfling Sneak Atk
    Column 6 = Column 5 + 3rd point in Halfling Sneak Atk
    Column 7 = Column 6 + 1st Upgrade Halfling Sneak Atk Damage
    Column 8 = Column 7 + 2nd Upgrade Halfling Sneak Atk Damage
    Column 9 = Column 8 + 3rd Upgrade Halfling Sneak Atk Damage

TO-HIT TABLE
    (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Rogue 5 7 9 10 11 12 12 12 12

Fighter 7 9 11 11 11 11 14 14 14
    Bard 5 7 9 9 9 9 12 12 12
    Wizard 3 5 7 7 7 7 10 10 10

DAMAGE TABLE
    Rogue 4d6 4d6 4d6 4d6 4d6 4d6 5d6 6d6 7d6

Fighter Nil Nil Nil Nil Nil Nil 1d6 2d6 3d6
    Bard Nil Nil Nil Nil Nil Nil 1d6 2d6 3d6
    Wizard Nil Nil Nil Nil Nil Nil 1d6 2d6 3d6

(Sorry the formatting didn't come out correctly)
    Last edited by intruder1; 05-28-2014 at 06:01 PM.

(Setting the example is such a tedious endevore!)
    Haha they are just hoping to catch you at something!

Or maybe just Cali is? lol

Jus' checkin'. LOL

Community Member

Sorry for my absence last night, much drama in the "other" game I play, and none of it good.
    Simply put, I forgot which night it was last night till almost 9pm. Will explain in more detail,
    if requested, next week.

Community Member

Default Equipment Repair too Easy?

After 2 years playing week after week, no piece of equipment has ever been damaged to the point of not being usable.
    Repair in DDO is 1) very cheap and 2) too easy.

If permanent damage was beefed up a little, it might make damaged weapons a bit more of an issue.
    But Repair is like Encumberence.......present but not in the "MMO" theme.

For my own curiosity, I will not repair equipment at all and see how it affects my character.
    This is NOT a suggestion for a new guideline, but I offer the suggestion to any of our "experiment" group(s) if they
    wish to inject a bit more "Classic" to our gameplay.
    For any who would argue "but we repaired equipment in PnP!?"....I say normal repair is "assumed" except that ALL the damage to a DDO piece now be considered damage that could not be repaired under normal circumstances, ie. "all damage is permanent damage".

This would be similar to our view of "dying"......we don't die in quests, we are injured so severly that revival HAS to be accomplished between Quests.

The consequences of doing this will vastly change the way we play!
    Last edited by intruder1; 05-31-2014 at 12:23 PM.

2015 DDO Players Council Hazelnut's Avatar

After 2 years playing week after week, no piece of equipment has ever been damaged to the point of not being usable.
    Repair in DDO is 1) very cheap and 2) too easy.

If permanent damage was beefed up a little, it might make damaged weapons a bit more of an issue.
    But Repair is like Encumberence.......present but not in the "MMO" theme.

For my own curiosity, I will not repair equipment at all and see how it affects my character.
    This is NOT a suggestion for a new guideline, but I offer the suggestion to any of our "experiment" group(s) if they
    wish to inject a bit more "Classic" to our gameplay.
    For any who would argue "but we repaired equipment in PnP!?"....I say normal repair is "assumed" except that ALL the damage to a DDO piece now be considered damage that could not be repaired under normal circumstances, ie. "all damage is permanent damage".

This would be similar to our view of "dying"......we don't die in quests, we are injured so severly that revival HAS to be accomplished between Quests.

The consequences of doing this will vastly change the way we play!
    I forgot to repair some equipment once. It lasted a bit over 5 quests. But there were a lot of slimes in those 5 quests.
    Zyinniah Hazelnut and Curissa Hazelnut on most servers.

Default Tuk thinks "FIXED LOOT IS TOO OP, CANT HAVE!!"...

I would guess that items would last 10 to 20 quests. We do find treasure faster then that, but we would end up equipped with less then 'optimal' gear. There would be almost no gear sold after that started. Just checked my bank, and I have 6 weapons that I can use, not counting scepters. No, I have 1 wep/shield combo, 1 qstaff and a scepter set to use in quest. And I hardly ever equip the scepters.

Now the big surprise, I like this! I've started leaning away from 'hitting things with sticks' again, and I have a pool of so so items that you guys are welcome to look at. I have masters touch so that widens our selection.

Originally posted by Aeryyn "I don't play this game for xp/min, I play for fun/hour. "

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeadHero5 View Post
    I would guess that items would last 10 to 20 quests. We do find treasure faster then that, but we would end up equipped with less then 'optimal' gear. There would be almost no gear sold after that started. Just checked my bank, and I have 6 weapons that I can use, not counting scepters. No, I have 1 wep/shield combo, 1 qstaff and a scepter set to use in quest. And I hardly ever equip the scepters.

Now the big surprise, I like this! I've started leaning away from 'hitting things with sticks' again, and I have a pool of so so items that you guys are welcome to look at. I have masters touch so that widens our selection.
    It is a PLEASURE dealing with people that will stray out of their comfort zone for a good ideal!
    Once again LeadHero, my kudos to you!
    Keep thinking!

Community Member

It is a PLEASURE dealing with people that will stray out of their comfort zone for a good ideal!
    Once again LeadHero, my kudos to you!
    Keep thinking!
    I'm game. But a question - how many weapon sets are we allowed? Anything up to encumbrance?

Page 103 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113 ... LastLast