Page 101 of 152 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 3032

Default Cogoiler's Enhancement Sheet

Default Thanx Fedora!

Default ***....

Uhhh.... why is it so small?

Quote Originally Posted by zefjoe View Post
    Does the place you posted it have thumbnail views? It looks like you linked to a thumbnail instead of the full picture... maybe?

Community Member

Default Treasure, Power Creep and D&D vs DDO concepts (Part 1)

“Because of the weighting in the MAGIC ITEMS table(s), most Treasure will have Magic Potions, Scrolls, Armor and Weapons. This is carefully planned so as to prevent imbalance in the game. Keep potent (non-consumable) Magic Items rare. “

“ As previously mentioned, the MAGIC ITEMS table is weighted towards results which balance the game. Potions, Scrolls, Armor and Arms are plentiful. Rings, Rods, Wands and Miscellaneous items of Magic represent only a 25% occurrence on the table. This is done in order to keep Magic-Users from totally dominating play. They are sufficiently powerful characters without adding piles of supplementary goodies. What they gain from the tables will typically be used up and discarded.”

These two statements were drawn from the 1st Edition Dungeon Masters guide.
    (Similar Statements could not be found in Ed. 3.5 DMG)

The consumable items described are labeled “Mundane” and “Miscellaneous” Items, and in Ed. 3.5, disappear from the Treasure Tables as of 7th Level.
    (I’ll assume it’s because in the Ebberon Setting, these things are plentifully available for sale.)

My opinion is this is a mistake as it gives players Magic Items which are more or less permanent, starting the “power creep”.

DDO makes this worse by making items stand up to a lot of damage and are relatively easy to repair.
    In a typical Quest, lets say there are 4 Major Encounters. This means 4 Chests to open.
    At the completion of the Quest, EACH CHARACTER gets 4 Permanent Magic Items PLUS an End Reward that not only is (usually) better than the Chest result, but the player gets to CHOOSE it from a selection.

For a 6 person party, that results in 30 Magic Items from a single Adventure.
    Granted, not everything received may be of use, but still……

Another thing is that Power Creep is actually inevitable, even by 1st Ed rules. Just using the tables as-is will sooner or later equip the characters with some very nice items, especially as they hit the range where it takes many adventures to gain a new level. More adventures=more chance at loot, while remaining at or near the same level for long periods of time.

It's more a matter of how long before it gets there, balanced by how long "players" will remain content chasing the ever-distant "carrot on a stick" dangled by the DM.

In my P&P experience campaigns always ended up monty-haul'ish after a few short months if we played regularly.

Default Dwarfs are small???

Grondley's enhancements. The circle is Efficient Metamagic, I could save some SP but I haven't used Maximize yet.
    Originally posted by Aeryyn "I don't play this game for xp/min, I play for fun/hour. "

Default Lets try this again...

Default !@#*&^%!!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    Another thing is that Power Creep is actually inevitable, even by 1st Ed rules. Just using the tables as-is will sooner or later equip the characters with some very nice items, especially as they hit the range where it takes many adventures to gain a new level. More adventures=more chance at loot, while remaining at or near the same level for long periods of time.

It's more a matter of how long before it gets there, balanced by how long "players" will remain content chasing the ever-distant "carrot on a stick" dangled by the DM.

In my P&P experience campaigns always ended up monty-haul'ish after a few short months if we played regularly.
    Agreed. But it does not prevent us from striving to maintain balance.
    What "carrot" are you referring to?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeadHero5 View Post
    Grondley's enhancements. The circle is Efficient Metamagic, I could save some SP but I haven't used Maximize yet.
    Choose a Meta and place 3 points.

Community Member

Default Remember the purpose of this group

This experiment originated to try to prove that DDO could be played in a Classic, 1st Edition manner.
    In case there is some question.....Class-Based, Basic Characters, "Want what you Get, not Get what Want" methodology.

The choices I am making you take are meant to further the experiment.
    We have progressed to 12th Level without all the fancy stuff, and we still have a way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by intruder1 View Post
    Agreed. But it does not prevent us from striving to maintain balance.
    Oh I agree as well.

What "carrot" are you referring to?
    The +5 Uber Weapon of deity-like Awesomeness or the Secret All-Powerful Magic Ring of Uberness, of course.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    The +5 Uber Weapon of deity-like Awesomeness or the Secret All-Powerful Magic Ring of Uberness, of course.
    Oh.......

The consumable items described are labeled “Mundane” and “Miscellaneous” Items, and in Ed. 3.5, disappear from the Treasure Tables as of 7th Level.
    (I’ll assume it’s because in the Ebberon Setting, these things are plentifully available for sale.)

My opinion is this is a mistake as it gives players Magic Items which are more or less permanent, starting the “power creep”.
    My opinion is that potions, some wands, and scrolls, are available in stores in Eberron quite intentionally because of the very nature of the setting. Eberron takes place in a time that corresponds roughly with the renaissance period where mass manufacturing was starting to show up. Shops contained a wider selection of items that were affordable by more people and travel was becoming more common. Whereas Forgotten realms was much more dark ages where even a simple cough suppressant was virtually unheard of. Power creep is inevitable with the advancement of technology (or magic).

That being said, for the purpose of this group, I completely agree. It is a challenge to get D&D 1 flavour in DDO and nearly impossible to avoid power creep.
    Zyinniah Hazelnut and Curissa Hazelnut on most servers.

Default Re-did Enhancements

Default Well how 'bout that...

Finally figured it out.

Put ALL AP points into Racial. Now I gotta dig into the footlocker for some axes. Ohh Grondley....you got Masters Touch yes?

Community Member

What are the 2 icons up in the top right?

Default !@#$%!...confounded, busybody, nothin' 'tween his pointy ears Elf :p

Each weapon enhancement costs 2 AP. I could only do two before not having enough. There's actually three selections left. The top one on the right will allow Cali to use his CON modifier as +damage - on top of the +damage he'll get from each selection in the line. That's 4 more AP away though. Filling up the racial tree will make Cali one tough little death dealing machine. Soooo.. since too many bodies in a fight bogs down the connection, Cali just might have to take point and take care of business - the rest of you guys can clean up what's left.

Community Member

Each weapon enhancement costs 2 AP. I could only do two before not having enough. There's actually three selections left. The top one on the right will allow Cali to use his CON modifier as +damage - on top of the +damage he'll get from each selection in the line. That's 4 more AP away though. Filling up the racial tree will make Cali one tough little death dealing machine. Soooo.. since too many bodies in a fight bogs down the connection, Cali just might have to take point and take care of business - the rest of you guys can clean up what's left.
    LOL. I wasn't talking about those......I know what they are.
    In the TOP RIGHT of the capture.
    Next to the City Regen Icon.

Page 101 of 152 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151 ... LastLast