Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Nysrock View Post
    Just be up front with people about not knowing the quest. I have joined some like that and most people don't mind as long as you let them know up front.
    This exactly.

Some might dismiss you, but others will go a bit slower and explain things as you go along.

But if you keep silent about not knowing, THEN screw up, everyone will be ticked off.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by psi0nix View Post
    So the general consensus seems to be, solo the quests on normal to learn them before trying to lead the quest.
    People's learning styles differ, but actually, that works well for me. If I solo it, then I know I know it.

But you can learn from others, too. Just be honest about not knowing it.

Scattered thoughts:

1. DDOWiki is your friend. Absolutely. The number of noobs I've encountered who refuse to read up on quests and other aspects of the game amazes me. With regard to consumables, you are never going to go wrong having all the status removal pots, cure pots, a wand or two (even if you can't use them) and the 20% resist pots from the Twelve (if you can't cast resists).

2. A friendly guild may well help. If you are struggling with one in your timezone a largish guild in another timezone might help. Have a look at their forums when guild shopping - my first guild in game was a guild like this and they have one of the best forums out there. Learned a huge amount from them.

3. Find a mentor. This was what really helped my gameplay - I encountered a friendly warforged wizzie when my first toon, a cleric, was about level 17 and he really helped me understand what a self healing toon could do with its offensive capabilities. We two manned most of that summer. Found him in a random PUG - I'd friended him because I thought his guild name was funny

4. Don't be afraid to ask for help, or to be clear that you are new to the quest. I've NEVER been dismissed from a party for being honest about being new. On the other hand I've dumped plenty of people who refused to admit they are new and weren't interested in learning.

I do think more established players get jaded about new players - one that's keen to learn is honestly a rarity.
    Terebinthia, Terebynthia, Tereana, Tereaina, Tereanna, Terebyte, Terechan, Terebinthis
    The Hand of the Black Tower, Khyber.
    Cupcakes welcomed.

I did learn many quests, and all explorer area's by soloing with a hireling.

When forming groups for quests I did not know well, I found much better results avoiding slang terms like noob/nub/newb, and even the SCA/Convention term newbie, but instead advertised myself as a new player.

Using nub/noob/newb and even newbie to describe any player will often simply brand you as someone unpleasant to be around, even if you mean it in a good way.

I also found better results by avoiding abbreviations and acronyms if I wanted to be around folks willing to teach.
    Occasionally playing on Cannith

Llyren, Kelda and some others.

How are us nubs supposed to learn ?
    Adress people in harder content as being someone who wants to learn. You will meet many people/vets/elitists who give a damn about general tactics and strategy lessons but if you do not ask you won't get answers.

It is very funny that as soon as someone opens an Abbott training LFM (eg.) it is crowded like crazy but very rarely it does happen. So, take the courage and out yourself as not knowing...yet. More sooner than later there will be a person who wants to help you.

That is my experience. Additionally, constant improving of your character shows that you actually mean it. That is of course no guarantee for instant success but it increases the probability of finding support.
    Last edited by zwiebelring; 02-14-2012 at 08:04 AM.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Well, now you got me confused. You say your not a new player and have done most quests ingame but on the other hand you think you need to know the quests "fully" to lead them. Here lies your problem I think. You dont need to master a quest to lead it, you dont even need to know the quest in order to lead it, just make sure you tell others in advance whats your knowledge of the quest. You also have a misconception idea of what a good player is, thinking your only find "thous types" in channels. Good players are everywhere and yes, they do Pug. Channels/guilds have good and bad players, so as pugs. You have friends list were you can start forming your list of like minded players, thats how everyone started. No one started with a level 20 character, fully equipped and on a level 100 guild with 4 private channels. People start playing, meeting other people, seeing that they are good players, fun players, etc and form channels and guilds so they can meet up again - the same as in any social interaction.

As for that picture, well, not all the time will you find a group that suits your needs, thats why this game has the ability to allow players to either solo or form a group of their own. To form a group of your own to a quest you dont know, you should type, according to what you want: "first timer - need a guide" or "first timer, no zerg, nice and slow". Probably not all that will join will meet your standards but you have the friends list to add the ones that do and the squelch list to add the ones that dont (if you so choose ofc). Its not the blind leading the blind, its a group of adventurers discovering a dungeon for the first time and thats what the game is all about really.
    WARSWORDS
    Blackmoors (Pale Master) | Bloodrake (Defender of Siberys) | Darckmoor (Angel of Vengeance) | Doulbelades (Berserker) | Thayed (Warchanter)
    [TRADE LIST]

Community Member

I'm no good at non epic quest(yeah, today someone said to me how don't you know about mindsunder)
    No intel about territory, npc type, shrine quantity in my memory.
    Well cause I don't need any gear at there and got this adventure pack recently)

If you need hands or tour guide for epic run, maybe I can help you.
    Especially I like sand epic quest[raiyum, offering of blood,chain of flame)
    2006 december - 2007 july on korea server (Giant hold & sand of menec was last contents. Max level 12->14 then service closed)
    Now start back since 2011 january to present, only run epics and collecting items for fun.

Send a message to icearrow if you need tourguide - tell the truth jobless ranger in eberon world.
    Most of the time, I'm glaze lfm channel or crafting bane arrow at house K.

I havent had any problems learning quests in DDO and avoiding "Newbie Rage". You just have to follow some simple rules:

1. Make sure you tell people (or at least the leader) that you dont know the quest when you enter the party. Dont be offended if they ask you to drop, sometimes people just aren't in a teaching mood.

2. Dont mess with stuff unless asked. When I am in a quest the first time I leave pretty much everything alone and just watch (attacking when it seems appropriate). I pick someone who seems to know what they are doing (especially if they are a healer ) and I follow them. I listen to everything I am told, and act when asked. I make sure to apologize for mistakes. If players go down, I volunteer to take the soul stone back to the shrine, while the more experienced players work towards completion. When I run the quest again in the future, I continue to watch for new tactics, and I try out the ones I feel confident with.

3. Be self sufficient. I try to make sure I am 110% stocked on healing and curative items. I read up on the quest I want to run before I start playing and bring appropriate weapons when needed (banishing, disruption, ect).

4. Dont be upset by failure. You will learn more about the quest when the party struggles than you will by being a shadow. Besides, my favorite PUG moments have been the times when a group of people who dont really know each other pull together and succeeded in a quest we are having a lot of problems with. Those are the times in DDO I can remember having a lot of fun.

Those things will help you avoid 98% of newbie rage, in my experience. I hope to test them out yet again in my first ever Shroud this weekend. Lookout Khyber!
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

In reply to the op, I just ignored the complaints and eventually learned the quests.

How do you think the "elite" learned how to play the game?

Quit complaing and expecting to be dragged through the game.
    Omnipresence, Ghallanda
    Trellon // Trelala

Quote Originally Posted by sheepface View Post

Can you show me where I "complained" ? ...

And can you show me where I have asked to be "dragged" through the game ?

Please try to read what I've written before replying, as obviously you haven't.

Thanks to those who have offered their advice (which is actually what I was asking for) on how to best learn the quests.

As others here have stated I take the star as a responsibility of sorts, to get the group through, that's why I feel that leading a quest would require you to "know it", but I will try perhaps the idea of putting in my LFM that I don't know the quest / "no-zerg" "dungeon crawl" etc, as it may help others joining know straight away that I don't fully know the quests that I am trying to lead.

I did solo a couple last night, and I can say that I do feel I know those quests now, much better than I did before, so I will also continue to do that aswell.

I am going to re-roll very soon, so I will also go back and run the earlier quests before I re-roll so when I am at that level it will be much clearer as to what I should be doing to keep everyone alive / get the completion.

Thanks again everyone for being helpful, it does help, and it also helps the next groups coming up have more of a chance to be successful in their questing.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepface View Post

The elite?

Their fathers were relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owners from Sharn with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. Their mothers were fifteen year old Karnatthi prostitutes with webbed feet. Their father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Their childhood was typical. Summers in Metrol, magewright lessons. In the spring they'd make meat helmets. When insolent they were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve they elite receive their first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Inquisitor named Lightbringer ritualistically shaves their testicles.
    There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Got into a good group last night, first time ever, and would you believe it I got to the crystal in the shroud (said "yep I got it"), then proceeded to click like mad on my spells , and nothing happened ! , this had to be the most singulary embarassing thing i've had happen in the game so far.

Whilst buffing I was using my F1-12 keys to select players, and due to a coke incident (the drink), the keys stuck down and I couldn't cast anything at all.

I was going to farm some gear etc and do more raids, but after that I wanted to just hide under a rock so I decided to re-roll into a wiz, start from lvl 1 and slowly learn my way back to 20. Being the 2nd TR I will need to repeat a number of quests and thereby learn them well.

rollning a WF PM using mainly gear I pick up in quests / end rewards (I didn't pick up much Wiz gear) but I figure doing it tough on gear and mainly solo runs I should learn quick.

On a side note the shroud has changed a great deal in a couple years, I don't remember there being so many blades around the 1st harry, although it was the first time I'd run it on hard not normal so that could be it too.

So I guess I'll see everyone round in a couple weeks / months when I level up a bit

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    The elite?

Their fathers were relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owners from Sharn with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. Their mothers were fifteen year old Karnatthi prostitutes with webbed feet. Their father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Their childhood was typical. Summers in Metrol, magewright lessons. In the spring they'd make meat helmets. When insolent they were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve they elite receive their first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Inquisitor named Lightbringer ritualistically shaves their testicles.
    There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it.
    Quote Originally Posted by grodon9999 View Post
    The details of our guild are quite inconsequential . . . Very well, where do I begin? Our founder, Xandrell, was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. Our co-founder was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. Xandrell would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the Captain and Coke. Sometimes he would accuse warforged of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our n00bness was typical, summers in Kothos, luge lessons. In the spring we’d make meat helmets. When I was insolent we are placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At level 12 you receive your first scribe. At the level fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma will ritualistically give you a back rub.
    i knew ive heard that before.
    Soturi . Ghallanda Rerolled
    [7/18/2012 12:22:24 AM] D. H.: i mean, i'm not as experienced as, say, a vegas hooker, but i can confidently say that you're a lot more aggressive than like 90% of the guys i've been with.

Quote Originally Posted by ainmosni View Post
    i knew ive heard that before.
    Yar ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTJj4wbmAhk
    Last edited by voodoogroves; 02-15-2012 at 06:03 PM.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Got into a good group last night, first time ever, and would you believe it I got to the crystal in the shroud (said "yep I got it"), then proceeded to click like mad on my spells , and nothing happened ! , this had to be the most singulary embarassing thing i've had happen in the game so far.

Whilst buffing I was using my F1-12 keys to select players, and due to a coke incident (the drink), the keys stuck down and I couldn't cast anything at all.

I was going to farm some gear etc and do more raids, but after that I wanted to just hide under a rock so I decided to re-roll into a wiz, start from lvl 1 and slowly learn my way back to 20. Being the 2nd TR I will need to repeat a number of quests and thereby learn them well.

rollning a WF PM using mainly gear I pick up in quests / end rewards (I didn't pick up much Wiz gear) but I figure doing it tough on gear and mainly solo runs I should learn quick.

On a side note the shroud has changed a great deal in a couple years, I don't remember there being so many blades around the 1st harry, although it was the first time I'd run it on hard not normal so that could be it too.

So I guess I'll see everyone round in a couple weeks / months when I level up a bit

You can't target the crystal in the Shroud until the 4 lieutenants are down - before that the blue shield around it won't let you. The good news is that once they are down one good max / empowered polar ray / disintegrate usually gets it but you have to be awake and prepared to hard target and fire your spells off quickly.

It's unclear a little from your post here what you are planning - I wouldn't delete and reroll your toon - that seems like a waste of effort to me - try a different toon for sure, but if you keep your original toon you at least have a Shroud runner until you feel more confident.
    Terebinthia, Terebynthia, Tereana, Tereaina, Tereanna, Terebyte, Terechan, Terebinthis
    The Hand of the Black Tower, Khyber.
    Cupcakes welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Terebinthia View Post
    You can't target the crystal in the Shroud until the 4 lieutenants are down - before that the blue shield around it won't let you. The good news is that once they are down one good max / empowered polar ray / disintegrate usually gets it but you have to be awake and prepared to hard target and fire your spells off quickly.

It's unclear a little from your post here what you are planning - I wouldn't delete and reroll your toon - that seems like a waste of effort to me - try a different toon for sure, but if you keep your original toon you at least have a Shroud runner until you feel more confident.
    I had the crystal targeted, I've done the shroud a million times over the past 2 lives, that's why I was thinking no problem getting it done, then I'm standing there looking at the crystal, protection is down, and none of my spells fire cause the keyboard has about 5 keys stuck down at once.

But yeah I already re-rolled, start again, there was nothing wrong with my sorc build at all, in fact it held me up in alot of quests I didn't know so I just nuked my way through.

Figure re-rolling into wizard, has benefits aswell as giving me a slower / longer run through the game mostly running the quests solo, so I should get to know them very well.

The end goal is to re-roll one more wizard, then back to sorc for final life.

Default hey

so let me get this straight u would rather have someone tellling u every little thing to do, insted of acutally playing the game, figureing stuff out, exploring.

Everytime new stuff comes out , u have to figure it out, thats part of the game.............................................. .......
    That's all well and good for what I'd say is a "majority" of quest, but there are also many instances where just "having a go" only leads to deaths, many deaths, and there is not always a guide for quests.

I have the "Crafting guide / game guide", that lists most of the quests, gives maps and information, but alot of the time it leaves vital information out.

In general I'm ok, my sorc is on his 2nd life and I can nuke / SLA my way through most things, but there are exceptions (like Amrath (weapons shipment)) etc, and I need others to help run it, but then they get the brown stickies because you put up an LFM for a quest that you don't know very well, and need to take time here and there to get your bearings / sort out what needs to be done. Usually this ends up with someone charging off and getting red alert, dying and by proxy half the group dies.

And then it's just a mess.

What sites have these "good" guides ? - I don't mind reading information / watching vids etc, but it would be good if they had more in it than - Go to point a, then point b, kill boss.

Something that has information like : All players will need cold resist for this end fight / don't go into the left room on second floor as <nasty thing> spawns and is very hard to kill.

My sense of direction is not that great :P and I end up getting crossed sometimes as to which way we are supposed to be going.

I can heal myself (limited) and always carry 100 heal scrolls, but that's only really good for keeping myself alive, not a group.

I usually play at night (+10GMT) from about 6pm onwards. On the weekends I play from friday through to sunday.

When I'm in group I have no worries "keeping up" / killing whatever, but I do have trouble leading groups, and that's where the problems are, alot of the quests I need / want to do, there are no LFm's up that aren't asking for "elite" players, which I don't consider myself to be. So i'm left leading a group with only a partial idea of what to do / where to go / whats best.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, not ALL players / groups are like this, I have come across some very good players who are nice people to group with and actually let you know what is expected in the next room etc, it's just unfortunately not the majority.

It's getting to the point where I don't want to put a LFM up because I don't want to try to lead through quests that I don't know bezactly, and I try to avoid creating "agro" from other players.
    Azrreal / 28 completionist and epic completionist / Artificer 20
    Azrealla / 28 12 fighter / 4 monk / 4 pali
    Hoehoe / 28 ranger
    Twinkiee / 28 18 sorc / 2 pali
    Dingdong / 28 pali
    Razeall / 28 18 monk / 2 fighter

Quote Originally Posted by Irongutz2000 View Post
    so let me get this straight u would rather have someone tellling u every little thing to do, insted of acutally playing the game, figureing stuff out, exploring.

Everytime new stuff comes out , u have to figure it out, thats part of the game.............................................. .......
    Did you read any of my posts at all ?

Doesn't look like it

I was asking how to learn, not asking to have my hand held etc, what is it about this game where you ask "whats the best way to learn quests ? "

And the response is as the above ? how does that even make sense. . . . . .Even the posts you quoted has the question in it : What sites have these "good" guides ? (meaning what sites have good guides that I could read to learn about the quests before entering ....

And of course : I don't want to try to lead through quests that I don't know bezactly ...

Meaning I would like to know the quests very well before putting up a LFM and leading one.

Nope nothing there asking anyone to "tell me every little thing" at all.

And my last post in this thread, (if you'd read it), says that I just re-rolled so I could solo run the quests and learn them, there's that word again. learn, not "asking to be told everything".

And I have gotten some great tips / help from people in this thread - it may seem perfectly common sense to know the things they have said, but for me it was helpful and has IMO pointed me in the right direction to learning the game better.

Comprehension levels surely cannot be that low.
    Last edited by psi0nix; 02-16-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Community Member

1 - do the quest with a group ON NORMAL, if you are new, thus 28/32 points, you DO NOT need an elite streak to cap your toon, in fact trying to keep up an elite streak might slow you down

2 - say upfront you don't know the quest and ask upfront if there is something you should carry with you ( remove curse pots, lesser restoration, remove poison, and a little bit of self healing are expected for every class, if you are a ranger/pally and dare to say you can not selfheal I would ignore you for the rest of the quest )

3 - solo the quest on normal, casual doesn't work because I guess most resistances immunities etc are removed

4 - even if you don't run with guildies, ask them, a guild for me is not only a group of people to run with, it's a group of people to communicate with, share ideas/knowledge

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast