Default Introducing super hardcore

Some players from The Core decided they wanted to kick it up a notch and formed a static group to run with a super hardcore ruleset. The basics: no prestige classes, no korthos gear, and all other Core rules apply, including the no-shrine rule.

Why? It seemed like a good idea

As expected, the Harbor wasn't much of a challenge but I am eagerly awaiting the level 5+ quests.

I will post some stories here weekly for any of those interested in giving this play style a shot.
    The Core HC Permadeath Guild
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber
    thecorehc.home.comcast.net

On the way to stories, I'll introduce the six characters in the party, starting with the one I am most familiar with.

The first thing one notices about Arachmancer is that she is not nice. Rumours of her devotion to Lolth not withstanding, she is unlike most of her drow kind in that she disdains the use of enchantments. Perhaps related to her cruelty, or maybe due to her belief in their usefulness, the main weapons in her arcane arsenal include melf's acid arrow (8 sp), ray of enfeeblement (4 sp), and web. To better catch and cook enemies in these webs she plans to focus in the conjugation school and train in ways to heighten them later.

The dark glow of of satisfaction burns in her heart when a foe is cooking from a maximized acid arrow. "Ray of enfeeblement to prolong her delight since in their weakened state many lack the strength for a quick escape," she says.

Notes: she went to -6 in walk the butchers path. She trained as an artificer hoping to supplement her spells with the best repeating x-bow that she can find.
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber

On the way to stories, I'll introduce the six characters in the party, starting with the one I am most familiar with.

The first thing one notices about Arachmancer is that she is not nice. Rumours of her devotion to Lolth not withstanding, she is unlike most of her drow kind in that she disdains the use of enchantments. Perhaps related to her cruelty, or maybe due to her belief in their usefulness, the main weapons in her arcane arsenal include melf's acid arrow (8 sp), ray of enfeeblement (4 sp), and web. To better catch and cook enemies in these webs she plans to focus in the conjugation school and train in ways to heighten them later.

The dark glow of of satisfaction burns in her heart when a foe is cooking from a maximized acid arrow. "Ray of enfeeblement to prolong her delight since in their weakened state many lack the strength for a quick escape," she says.

Notes: she went to -6 in walk the butchers path. She trained as an artificer hoping to supplement her spells with the best repeating x-bow that she can find.
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber

Probably wont get harder than you are used to til level 6 or 7 or so where people are used to running with a tier one PRE and cant take one.

Some PRE are somewhat higher power at that level and some arent.

Higher power PRE at tier 1, especially in PD:

Radiant servant
    Water savant
    stalwart defender
    mechanic (traps are hardest hitting entities at low level)
    arcane archer
    ninja spy
    archmage (especially the 1SP crowd control)

Meh tier one PRE in PD:

pale master
    kensai
    shintao
    frenzied berserker
    combat engineer (the arty class is powerful even without this at low level)
    assassin
    tempest

Some of these dont come into their own until 12th level, and a few really dont shine their brightest until 18th.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Yea, agreed. That was probably the main reason for creating the static. We wanted a bit of a throwback to tougher times. At this level traps are the biggest worry, but we have a pure drow rogue now who went with a 20 int and 17 wis at level one, so when our wizard picks up Heroism and tosses her a foxes as well, traps will most likely be neutralized.

As always, luck with gear will be a factor.
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber

An Update: Two weeks ago we completed the Catacombs, then STK part 1 and leveled up to six. At level 6 we finished STK, ran several level 4 quests and then decided to finish Splinterskull, which we had started previously as level 5's.

After Splinterskull we leveled up to 7. And this week we are looking at level 5 quests. We lost our paladin/monk twf in part 5 of Splinterskull and went on to complete without him. Replacing a fallen companion is the BIG QUESTION MARK in a permadeath static. The loss was accentuated by the fact that he pulled a Flametongue in the bank quest of the Sharn series!

Right now we are a 5-man static waiting to see what unfolds, whether a sixth will join us or whether we will press on with five. On the verge of the Carnival and Necropolis, I think questing will get much more interesting now. Knowing the group I am guessing we will skip the Three Barrel Cove level 5's and head into either the House K level 5's, the Necropolis, or the Carnival.

Current favor total: 518.

On Arachmancer's development. Feats-- she has Greater Spell Focus Conjuration now. Her corrosive spells are highly acidic, and she is dreaming of obtaining Burning Blood. But it will have to wait.

Gear: she wears the Robe of Duality and a constitution +2 necklace and then nothing noteworthy. About the trash you'd expect from running level 1-5 quests, at least on one with mediocre luck.

Her one prize is a Flaming Light Repeating Crossbow. But even with a 20 dexterity she is all too often firing bolt after bolt over the shoulders, and even between the legs, of many foes! Without the Korthos gear she is anything but a crack shot with a crossbow.

Oh, but a quick glance into her bank account has revealed something that proves she is at least a bit lucky: a Lesser Anti-Beholder Crystal with 20 charges on it Pulled from a chest in WW maybe?

And Khyber's Fury also waits in the bank when she takes that 2nd Artificer level.

More after Friday's static.
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by Duncani_Daho View Post
    ...We lost our paladin/monk twf in part 5 of Splinterskull and went on to complete without him. Replacing a fallen companion is the BIG QUESTION MARK in a permadeath static...
    In our hard core static, we lost characters three times and started over each time. Because we only play once a week for about 3 hours, it has taken over a year to get back where our first group failed. It was a bit of a slog but it is cool that we are all on the same page. Our intention is to complete every quest at every level on elite until it is clear that we have no chance of success. The Carnival is the first tough test. Trying to balance completion without running out of resources is the difficulty. What is your party makeup?
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    In our hard core static, we lost characters three times and started over each time. Because we only play once a week for about 3 hours, it has taken over a year to get back where our first group failed. It was a bit of a slog but it is cool that we are all on the same page. Our intention is to complete every quest at every level on elite until it is clear that we have no chance of success. The Carnival is the first tough test. Trying to balance completion without running out of resources is the difficulty. What is your party makeup?
    We started with Vet status level 4 characters and deleted all starting gear. Then each of us ran the Scrag's Sewer solo quest to get enough gold to buy basic weapons. From there we skipped Korthos and started in the Harbor. The idea was to make the gear much less than what a character would normally have starting in The Core.

Starting at level 4 makes it a bit easier for dead characters to be replaced in the early going, and we experienced that when our dorf battle cleric died in The Captives out in the Cerulean Hills. That players second death and reroll occured as a result of a Catacombs run.

So now we, including his replacement, are level 7. Elite bravery streak is around 50.

Current line-up: Arachmancer (drow wizard/arti); Corpsun (human cleric); Naz-something (elf ranger/rogue); Pen-something (drow rogue/arti); and Oneeyejack (dwarf cleric/fighter). Multi-class seems to be the preference.

We are trying to figure out the 6th spot. Maybe a stout defender? And perhaps having him use our static rules in The Core to get him caught up with the others.

I'm also thinking of such a static starting with level 7 Vet status builds, and keeping the starting gear, so we can hit the ground running.

The key, for me at least, is taking prestige class out of the picture.
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber

...The key, for me at least, is taking prestige class out of the picture.
    Prestige classes are huge. No doubt. For my static resources will become a crunch. I already wish our artificer was a combat Favored Soul instead. Having another divine to supplement things like Death Ward, Freedom of Movement and such can be big when skipping shrines.

Good luck in your static. If you keep updating this thread, I'll defenitely follow.
    Last edited by parvo; 03-16-2012 at 08:06 AM.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

I look forward to hearing about your adventures as well. Static groups sure help spice it up a bit since I'm so used to running with radiant servants, archmages, and battle engineers.
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber

Arachmancer died in A Small Problem. We appeased the air spirit and then moved to guide old Brawnypits to safety when disaster struck. She died with 200 spell points but couldn't cast 20 point resists on herself. Had she remembered to hit her artificer energy resist boost, she might have survived and gone on to completion. Them there's the breaks.

If someone with the power to enforce it said, "You have to complete that quest with your static group rules, and you have one chance to do it, and if you fail you can't play DDO for one solid month," I would still accept the challenge. We had completion in grasp but just got a touch sloppy. We should have used all elixirs, and drank all other pots, to make sure everyone had the appropriate buffs. But we were conserving for a tomorrow that never came.

Per static rules, Arachmancer uses up her "free" raise but loses ALL her gear. Second and third times get more severe. But it already feels like she is perma-dead.
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber

Sounds fun... Is permadeath included? Hehe

"Hikari datte, yami datte, kitto"

Into light, into darkness, surely.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyerz View Post
    Sounds fun... Is permadeath included? Hehe
    Yes indeed. Each static can customize their own ruleset-- general consensus with a given set of parameters at the beginning and then stick to it. Playing with like-minded people makes the game its maximally exciting, though the flip-side is that dying really sucks.

I want to try it again, but think start with Vet status 7 builds, keeping gear, and just hitting the ground running is the best way for those are burnt out on level 1-4 stuff.

The cost of the good times-- rolling new builds through the harbor and korthos.
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber

Arachmancer died in A Small Problem. We appeased the air spirit and then moved to guide old Brawnypits to safety when disaster struck. She died with 200 spell points but couldn't cast 20 point resists on herself. Had she remembered to hit her artificer energy resist boost, she might have survived and gone on to completion. Them there's the breaks.

If someone with the power to enforce it said, "You have to complete that quest with your static group rules, and you have one chance to do it, and if you fail you can't play DDO for one solid month," I would still accept the challenge. We had completion in grasp but just got a touch sloppy. We should have used all elixirs, and drank all other pots, to make sure everyone had the appropriate buffs. But we were conserving for a tomorrow that never came.

Per static rules, Arachmancer uses up her "free" raise but loses ALL her gear. Second and third times get more severe. But it already feels like she is perma-dead.
    Small Problem elite is a great challenge. In my extreme static, we talked a bit about resources and how to handle it. We used a lot, but not all. Thinking is, we will want some resources left for Partycrashers which we try tonight. We don't forgive deaths so I'm hoping the crew can remain laser sharp for another night.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

In my opinion, Small Problem has multiple deadly spots, whereas Partycrashers boils down to one ominous room. If you can get past that, the quest becomes as easy as any other level 5.

Good luck! I'm sure it will be a thrilling ride.
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber