Default Forum Bug: cannot post the word "w g e t"

You can't post to the forums if your post contains the word "w g e t" without the spaces.

You get:

Method Not Implemented

POST to /newthread.php not supported.
    Apache Server at forums.ddo.com Port 80

What? Is this some kind of prank or something?

Let me try: (types it in only to realize it's true)

Wow... the bugs are spreading!!
    Have you ever wanted to create your own customized user interface skins for DDO?
    Click this sentence for a tutorial learning how, an easy-to-follow video guide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/... (add the w+get letters to end of link)
    [...is a computer program that retrieves content from web servers, and is part of the GNU Project. Its name is derived from World Wide Web and get. It supports downloading via HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP protocols.]

Sometimes one wonders how folks find this kind of stuff.

Just trying to post the complete link irritated IE.
    Last edited by cdbd3rd; 02-11-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Default Not a bug

It's a security measure designed to stop exploiters from accessing that particular tool. A typical hack is to manipulate the server side application into executing shell commands. If you are a "hacker" (i.e. script kiddy) and able to do that, one of the things you want to do is to download and execute your attack code on the server. The mentioned software is an inoccuous and common general purpose tool, popular with many exploiters for that reason, that does just that (downloads stuff).

I'm probably not far from the truth if I assume the forum servers have been hardened (actually DDOcast said as much in the wake of the injection issue a short while back) and they used a certain popular and effective product for that. I'm basing this on

- the fact that it has the tool in its Default rules

- "Method Not Implemented" is the default response when it blocks a request

Could of course be any other application firewall, they'd probably do the same thing.

Move along, nothing to see. Turbine is simply doing their job properly.
    Last edited by stoerm; 02-27-2012 at 08:02 AM.

The only thing I dislike about it is that the name of that tool is being maligned as a "hackers tool". It's not, it's a near-standard command line web download tool. It just happens that crackers can use it just as effectively as legitimate users, similar in ways to netcat and tcpdump.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarisa View Post
    The only thing I dislike about it is that the name of that tool is being maligned as a "hackers tool". It's not, it's a near-standard command line web download tool. It just happens that crackers can use it just as effectively as legitimate users, similar in ways to netcat and tcpdump.
    Amen to that. Too easy to pass stupid laws and draconian technical restrictions that inconvenicence users. Ideally you harden your Internet-facing servers by not even installing any non-critical stuff like wgët (lol) and compilers, but even so I'd personally keep the strict filtering to discourage automated probes. That's the admin view point ofcourse.
    Praise the Dark Six and pass the heals to pure melees.
    Full feat tree; Cannith; change; merger; evil; win; minmaxing; FotM; deja vu; Kobolds.
    Dungeons and Dragons Online ~ Nude Song and Gnarled Onions