Default New to Bards and their spells

I decided to give a bard a try. I was looking at the classic rocker build and thought I would go with Half-Orc. In looking at the spell selections I saw that Merfolk's Blessing was taken as a one of the 1st level spell. What I am I missing? Why would a bonus to swimming be beneficial? That never seems to be a problem (although my highest character is 15th level). Would I be better off with something more fun ... say grease. Please tell me the obvious answer that I am missing. Thanks and rock on!

Merfolk's Blessing ( and swim skill ) also affect flying speed....So Reaver's raid. But yeah thats about it
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitesco View Post
    Oh and honestly, you are all carrying portal beaters on your casters? What on earth are you using it on often enough to clog up your bag with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Portals.

It also seems to be some type of ddo in joke... a "blessing" before you go into a fight and some such.

Personally, I always wished this spell also gave everyone water breathing. That would be awesome and well worth taking.

It makes an awesome sound when you cast it.
    ~ Cheara : Raizertron : Pozitron : Higgz Bowtron : Illudium : Staphe Infection : Abraa Capocus ~
    Nooby McNoobsalot
    Ghallanda Rerolled

Actually the reason for taking it might be this ....

Last night on my new bard I was soloing WW with a hireling. I got to part 3 and had my hireling in the ooze room positioned over the lever to open all the gates so that I could get to the chest. I got half way through the gates and hit the hireling use button so that he would open the next gate. Instead of opening the next gate, he teleported to my location. That's right stuck between two closed gates under water. There was nothing I could do except slowly drown.

The point ... if I had had Merfolk's Blessing I could have drown even more slowly. Perhaps that is why bards take it.

It more because you get 5 level spells and by end game you'll want Masters Touch, Exped. Retreat, and Focus Chant. That leaves you with 2 left to take and nothing that you'll use that often. I took grease and merfolks. If you do anything CC related I could see a case for hypnotism. I like grease + fom early on. Merfolks is situational but it still gets cast more then the other level 1 spells I could have picked.

Quote Originally Posted by Valindria View Post
    I like grease + fom early on.
    Yeah, Grease + FoM is some underreported goodness. It's not amazing, but it is good.

Regarding Merfolk's Blessing: What others have said. It's the occasionally-quasi-useful joke spell you take, because you already have all the good level 1 spells.

The Crucible has a swim that can be made easier with this spell. Having enough Swim to go against the current is handy.

There are a lot of swims in the game and no one has the skill points to spend on the actual Swim skill.

As mentioned above, its more likely to be cast than any of the other lvl 1 spells you might take in the 5th slot.