Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Legic - Pale Master Survivor

This is my main's current life and by far the most powerful. I wanted to create a build that could hold it's own against raid bosses without sacrificing too much of it's primary abilities. This toon seems to be able to do just that.
    I have a personal problem with dumping a caster's primary stat for 40-60 extra HP. Especially when you give up soooooo much. No offense to anyone who builds their toons that way. It's just not for me.

This build will NOT function without somewhat extensive gearing. If you try to re-create it, make sure to get a few past-lives and some gear before expecting it to function.

This build is a complete blast and has soloed things I could never have soloed on my FvS. Including Vision of Destruction at level 16.

18wizard/2monk Warforged 36 point build

Str 9+3abishai+6item+2tome=20
    Dex
    Con 20+7item+3exeptional+2tome+4lich+2enh=38
    Int 18+6item+3exeptional+3tome+2lich+3enh+5lvls=40+1ep ic+1litany+2yugo=44
    Wis 6+6item+2tome+2lich=16
    Chr 9+7item+2tome+2lich=20

Feats
    1 Extend
    2 SF:Necro
    3 GSF:Necro
    4 Insightful reflexes
    5 Shield Proficiency
    6 Shield Mastery
    7 Improved Shield Mastery/Wizard PL/Spell penetration

1w Maximize
    2w Empower
    3w Heighten
    4w Quicken

1m Toughness
    2m Toughness

Saves
    F/R/W
    6/6/11 Wizard
    3/3/3 Monk
    5/5/5 Envenomed Cloak
    1/1/1 Alchemical
    14/15/3 Stats
    4/4/4 GH

33/34/27

These are acceptable and can be pushed much higher with more buffs and gear.

When tanking/soloing I always have haste going, +2 luck item equipped, and +2 exceptional reflex/will saves.

HP
    72 Wizard
    16 Monk
    20 Heroic
    10 Draconic
    20 Minos(Toughness)
    44 Toughness Feats
    40 Enhancements
    5 Tortoise
    20 Pale Master
    40 SFL
    45 GS Hp item
    280 Constitution

20 Ship
    20 Rage
    40 yugo

692 sustainable

Gear
    This is my personal set up...

Head- Epic Helm of Frost

Trinket- Stalward/various crafted trinkets

Goggles- GS Conc-Ops SP item

Necklace- Torc

Bracers- Demon Consort Bracers

Ring1- Archmage Ring(3 exceptional intelligence)

Ring2- Gnawed Ring(3 exceptional constitution)

Belt- Archmage belt/Occult slayer belt(depends on the situation)

Boots- Epic Boots of Corrosion/ToD boots

Gloves- GS Air Guard HP item

Cloak- Epic Envenomed Cloak

Docent- Docent of Defiance while tanking..Epic Docent of Shadow any other time.

I currently turtle up with either the Lorriks or an Epic Swashbuckler.

Questions and comments are welcome.
    Last edited by CrankVulcan; 03-30-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Tactics/Damage Mitigation

Soloing VoD was my first personal goal with this build. It's not a very difficult raid to solo once you have ToD rings and epic gear so I decided to try it a little earlier... These DR numbers will be what I'll have at cap.

Sully has a Claw/Claw/Bite routine that averages around 50/swing on normal.

-Improved Shield mastery- 50 x .2 =

10 DR/-

-Docent of Defiance- This is honestly a very crucial piece of gear because without it, my SP regen would be less than my SP usage needed to keep myself alive.

20 DR/-

-Blocking DR- (Bab/2) + 2 + Shield Rating(Lorrik's = 15)

22 DR/-

All these DR sources stack so when I get hit by sully for 50 damage I'll have around 52 DR.

I also want to point out that False life procs essentially translate into DR. Demon consort bracers, conc ops weapon, conc ops item, and lich form all offer separate false life procs. This negates quite a bit of damage.

For the best possible damage mitigation while tanking, I'll wait for the Docent of Defiance to proc and then quickly swap to the Epic Docent of Shadow. That will give an extra 4-9 DR. It might be difficult swapping like this but I think I can pull it off.

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrankVulcan View Post
    For the best possible damage mitigation while tanking, I'll wait for the Docent of Defiance to proc and then quickly swap to the Epic Docent of Shadow. That will give an extra 4-9 DR. It might be difficult swapping like this but I think I can pull it off.
    You mean once U13 goes live and the Boon of Undeath is fixed to allow robe swaps? (Afaik if you swap robes currently you will lose Boon of Undeath if you are in form).

It's funny, you say you don't want to dump casting stat for more HP and yet you choose WF instead of Human ... I think my PM will eventually be human as it seems to offer more versatility. Just pulled Torc today and soloed Weapon Shipment on elite, what a blast; let's me know that I need adamantine ritual on robe of shadow though. No bauble yet.

Quote Originally Posted by wax_on_wax_off View Post

It's funny, you say you don't want to dump casting stat for more HP and yet you choose WF instead of Human ... I think my PM will eventually be human as it seems to offer more versatility.
    How is going WF dumping my casting stat? When I said that I was referring to builds that literally forget about their prime attribute. It's very difficult to be an optimal caster and be able to Tank. I guess the monk levels could be dropped regaining one DC. I personally hate the idea because evasion and the extra toughness are very nice. Going human over WF basically transforms you into every other PM out there.

WF with the monk splash is the right choice for this build because without the Docent of Defiance, soloing more difficult raids becomes more...difficult. Also without evasion, I couldn't have soloed VoD so early on... I have the elemental absorption items but at level 16 I would have spent more SP healing through the reduced damage fireballs and chain lightnings than actually DPSing sully.

Just pulled Torc today and soloed Weapon Shipment on elite, what a blast
    Grats and grats

Community Member

Default Pale Master Survivor

I went a different way, myself. I have a Docent of Defiance from my past life, but I went halfling because I wanted to actually melee on the toon and the +4/8 sneak attack bonus is a big help to melee dps and accuracy.

Here's a video of my toon in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_ex4d5nLyE

Item Revision:
    Helm Minos Legens - +20hp, Heavy Fortification
    Goggles Greensteel Goggles - +45hp, Concordant Opposition, +6 Wisdom
    Necklace Epic Torc of Prince Raiyum-de II - Greater Spell Penetration VIII, Wizardry VI, Transform Kinetic Energy, Exceptional Constitution +1
    Chest Epic Robe of Shadow - Superior Nullification IX, Superior Void Lore, Superior False Life, Greater Necromancy Focus, Boon of Undeath
    Cloak Epic Cloak of Night - Invisibility Guard, Ghostly, Deathblock, Nightmare Guard, DR 5/Good
    Bracers Epic Bracers of the Demon Consort - Demonic Curse, Demonic Shield, Demonic Retribution, Intimidate +15, Exceptional Wisdom +1, Resistance +4
    Gloves Epic Brawling Gloves - 20 Unarmed Proc, +4/+6 Sneak Attack Bonus, Strength +7, Dexterity +6
    Epic Charged Gauntlets (Until Crystal Cove Event) - Greater Shocking Blow, Strength +6, Greater Lightning Resist, Dexterity +6
    Boots Greensteel Boots - Minor Fire Guard, +50sp +2 Cha Skills, +100sp +3 Int Skills, Radiance Guard
    Epic Rock Boots - Superior Corrosion IX, Superior Acid Lore, Stone prison Guard, Earthgrab Guard, Spell Focus: Conjuration, Charisma +6
    Belt Epic Spare Hand - +5 Exceptional Combat Mastery, 3% Doublestrike, +2 Good Luck, +1 Exceptional Dexterity +1
    Ring 1 Sanura's Band - Intelligence +6, Exceptional Intelligence +1, Pale Master Set Bonus, Holy Burst
    Ring 2 Epic Ring of the Stalker - Exceptional Sneak Attack +3, Seeker +6, Manslayer, Ghostly, Constitution +6, Exceptional Strength +1

Handwraps +7 Byeshk Alchemical Handwraps - Shocking Burst, Stunning +10, Alchemical Dexterity +2, Lightning Strike, Doublestrike 6%, Electric Storm
    +7 Epic Calomel Handwraps - Greater Dragon Bane, Tidal Burst, Crushing Wave, Corrosive Salt, Lifedrinker
    +6 Epic Wraps of Endless Light - Light Bringer, Greater Undead Bane, Brilliance, Radiant Blast
    +5 Thaarak Wraps - Acid Burst, Acid Blast, Thaarak Corrosion, Nightmares, Inherent Acid Resist 10
    +5 (Special Material) Vicious of Greater Bane Handwraps, Crafted

Trink 1 Litany of the Dead - +1 Profane Bonus to All Ability Scores, +1 Profane Bonus to Attack and Damage, Turn the Page

Start 36 Comp Tome Level Enh Itm Buff Final
    STR 13 2 4 0 0 9 4 32
    DEX 14 2 4 0 0 8 2 30
    CON 16 2 4 0 0 8 4 34
    INT 16 2 4 5 3 8 2 40
    WIS 12 2 4 0 0 8 2 28
    CHA 8 2 3 0 0 7 2 22

Level 1: Toughness, Stunning Fist
    Level 2: Spell Focus: Necromancy
    Level 3: Completionist
    Level 4: Two Weapon Fighting
    Level 6: Greater Spell Focus: Necromancy
    Level 7: Empower Spell
    Level 9: Maximize Spell
    Level 12: Improved Two Weapon Fighting, Extend Spell
    Level 15: Heighten Spell
    Level 17: Quicken Spell
    Level 18: Power Attack

Stunning Fist DC:
    10 Base + 10 Level + 10 Stunning Wraps + 5 Epic Spare Hand + 9 Wisdom = 44 Stunning Fist DC (45 In Water Stance)

Halfling Cunning I
    Halfling Cunning II
    Halfling Cunning III
    Halfling Cunning IV
    Halfling Guile I
    Halfling Guile II
    Halfling Guile III
    Halfling Guile IV
    Wizard Improved Empowering I
    Wizard Improved Heightening I
    Wizard Improved Maximizing I
    Way of the Faithful Hound I
    Racial Toughness I
    Racial Toughness II
    Corrosive Spellcasting I
    Corrosive Spellcasting II
    Corrosive Spellcasting III
    Corrosive Spellcasting IV
    Corrosive Spellcasting V
    Corrosive Spellcasting VI
    Deadly Acid I
    Deadly Acid II
    Deadly Acid III
    Deadly Acid IV
    Deadly Acid V
    Deadly Acid VI
    Acid Manipulation I
    Acid Manipulation II
    Acid Manipulation III
    Acid Manipulation IV
    Acid Manipulation V
    Acid Manipulation VI
    Acid Manipulation VII
    Wizard Energy of the Scholar I
    Wizard Energy of the Scholar II
    Wizard Energy of the Scholar III
    Wizard Intelligence I
    Wizard Intelligence II
    Wizard Intelligence III
    Shroud of the Lich
    Wizard Pale Master I
    Wizard Pale Master II
    Wizard Pale Master III
    Shroud of the Vampire

Quote Originally Posted by AnsharDarkangel View Post
    I went a different way, myself. I have a Docent of Defiance from my past life, but I went halfling because I wanted to actually melee on the toon and the +4/8 sneak attack bonus is a big help to melee dps and accuracy.

This build looks like a blast. Different purpose at end game but very interesting nonetheless.

Thanks for sharing

Here's a video of my toon in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_ex4d5nLyE
    Very cool.
    Last edited by CrankVulcan; 02-11-2012 at 04:31 AM.

You mean once U13 goes live and the Boon of Undeath is fixed to allow robe swaps? (Afaik if you swap robes currently you will lose Boon of Undeath if you are in form).

It's funny, you say you don't want to dump casting stat for more HP and yet you choose WF instead of Human ... I think my PM will eventually be human as it seems to offer more versatility. Just pulled Torc today and soloed Weapon Shipment on elite, what a blast; let's me know that I need adamantine ritual on robe of shadow though. No bauble yet.
    I soloed Weps Ship without Torc and ended up with broken Robe of Shadows and broken Shroud of the Abbot. Get on my level :P

How is going WF dumping my casting stat? When I said that I was referring to builds that literally forget about their prime attribute. It's very difficult to be an optimal caster and be able to Tank. I guess the monk levels could be dropped regaining one DC. I personally hate the idea because evasion and the extra toughness are very nice. Going human over WF basically transforms you into every other PM out there.

WF with the monk splash is the right choice for this build because without the Docent of Defiance, soloing more difficult raids becomes more...difficult. Also without evasion, I couldn't have soloed VoD so early on... I have the elemental absorption items but at level 16 I would have spent more SP healing through the reduced damage fireballs and chain lightnings than actually DPSing sully.

Grats and grats
    Going WF is a small dump of your casting stat, but one I can live with due to getting DoD. Also, if going for a "tanky" thingie, why don't you go AM? Reconstruct is a beast, and you won't be successfully tanking much without it (in places where it actually makes a difference, such as EChrono or something, for Sullo on VoD you don't need Defiance or the HP you're getting from 1 more thoughness).

For this build to be more useful than a standart 1 PL Wizard, with proper feats into enchant, etc, I see you needing at least 2 Wizard PLs and some Cleric ones and CC via Web (which is suboptimal in plenty of cases).

But why splashing monk? Evasion.
    Evasion is NOT worth a loss of 1 DC and of important spell slots.

That will be all.

PS: Don't come at me with HP. My human PM has 627 HP (counting yugo+ship+rage), never needed more, and frequently run with different gear set-up with about 520-540. Always been enough as well, enough to tank sullo in ToD and whatnot.

PPS: That comes out a little harsh, and I really don't mean to. Having soloed VoD @ lvl 16 is definitely amazing, but I just don't see any situation your build is more useful than a standart Human PM with 1 Wizard PL when in a group.
    Quadrovault | Quadrotune | Hyperyon

I have a similiar build 18wiz/2monk wf able to solo vod too but i started with 18 int and 18 con, all the rest in strenght to hit 34 and be able to melee with a dp clikie. Be able to fight in Lich form with unarmed damage is so fun! I didnt got shield mastery feats cause i think my survivability is already very good (aura is enough to keep me alive while tanking suulo) so i got power attack for melee and spell penetration feats to be more efficient in the end game.

I suggest an epic kundarak shield with -15%spell failure on it for a 12 dr and with torc, conc opposition, dq bracers, epic docent of shadow you don't really need anything else for tanking. Anathema ring helps with aggro generation.

Shield mastery is a better choice on human that is less feats stressed and will be better on wf and dwarf when(and if) we will have racial enhancments tree because it is a prerequisite for stalwart defender! Imo

p.s. With the bugged boon of undeath the DoD is useless, you will never want to swap epic shadow.
    Last edited by korsat; 02-11-2012 at 10:39 AM.

Instead of shield mastery, a monk split may want to consider just using Earth Stance, but otherwise this is a solid core. PMs can afford Shield Mastery easier than an Archmage (who really wants to get a few cheap SLAs, needs mental toughness, etc.)
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by SoloPhalanx View Post
    But why splashing monk? Evasion.

That will be all.
    Thanks for your pronounced opinion.

if going for a "tanky" thingie, why don't you go AM? Reconstruct is a beast, and you won't be successfully tanking much without it (in places where it actually makes a difference, such as EChrono or something, for Sullo on VoD you don't need Defiance or the HP you're getting from 1 more thoughness).

PS: Don't come at me with HP. My human PM has 627 HP (counting yugo+ship+rage), never needed more, and frequently run with different gear set-up with about 520-540. Always been enough as well, enough to tank sullo in ToD and whatnot.
    I'm going PM for 60 extra HP, 2 powerful false life procs, and the Aura. The purpose of this toon is to to be able to tank things alone and without pots. The ridiculous DR and damage mitigation on this toon lets me self heal with the aura alone for 80% of big fights. This allows me to build up SP for nuking instead of blowing it on healing. If I only have to worry about activating my auras every couple minutes, I can focus more on offense and keeping the necessary gear equipped and buffs going.

Tanking sully in ToD is a Joke. Try tanking Sully, 4 VoD orthons, and 8-12 green devils at level 16 and then tell me you don't need a DoD.

Of course at level 20 vs 16 my blocking DR(Improved BaB, Improved Shield Mastery, better shield) will go up around 12-14 points depending on how hard sully is swinging at me. At this point I will not need a DoD to tank him.
    Of course at 20th level I'll be trying for hard/elite vod, EDQ, and possibly ToD. All will surely require a DoD.

I just don't see any situation your build is more useful than a standart Human PM with 1 Wizard PL when in a group.
    Thanks

I don't group often...

Thanks

I don't group often...
    That being the case, I think your build might be the best for what you're looking for. My previous post sounded really harsh, but that's only because as I stated, your "group" contribution would be underhanded.

If your build is solo designed, by all means, keep it that way

(although I still defend going 20 Wiz would be nicer, but then again, I'm a sucker for DCs, which might not be your goal)
    Quadrovault | Quadrotune | Hyperyon

I'm a sucker for DCs, which might not be your goal
    I'll still have 40+ DCs which work most of the time depending on what content your running. If I wanted this build to be an optimal Insta-killer, I would have gone pure/human.

Why post such a build on the forums?

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    Instead of shield mastery, a monk split may want to consider just using Earth Stance, but otherwise this is a solid core.
    I have a complete set of casting kamas, including Conc-ops and Superior Potency. While centered and with ship buffs I can sustain 712hp. Earth stance also grants the 5% damage absorption. I don't do this often because I'm addicted to shields but it certainly comes in handy...

That toon looks like a blast to play, mainly because I love halflings. Might need to tr into this.
    Levistis, Orcys, and Thirzax of the Dragon Blood Cult of Maguuma, GW2.

Does the DoD make or break this build? I'm going to be TRing my wiz probably as early as Tuesday, and this seems kinda interesting. Judging by the way you talk it does. Thanks for the time

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehairguy View Post
    Does the DoD make or break this build? I'm going to be TRing my wiz probably as early as Tuesday, and this seems kinda interesting. Judging by the way you talk it does. Thanks for the time
    Well it depends on what your personal goals are. A possible replacement would be the Epic Docent/Robe of Shadows.

If you missed last year's opportunity to get that, you'd have to lower your soloing expectations.

Without the DoD you might as well go Human for more DCs and only a few less HP.

My personal List of MUST haves on this build:

-Torc

-Conc ops HP item

-Lorrik's or at least an Epic shield will decent DR

-Anathema Ring if tanking is an interest

-Conc ops weapon is very nice and allowed me to solo many things below level.

-Demon Concort Bracers are insanely helpful when tanking. I think I heard somewhere that
    the Falselife proc = ≈6 DR/-

These builds are awesome and a ton of fun. To those who don't know PM with high DRish capabilities are MUCH more survivable than your average WF arcane.

I intended to go this way a long time ago. See:
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=312909

However, I ended up going pure Wiz and I gotta say I'm glad I did. The main reason is that a max'd out PM has great "forever" dmg dealing capabilities that for me made giving up melee abilities no problem. Really the area of effect dmg of Necrotic Blast plus Bolt at end level is really quite good.

Also by staying pure you gain a good amount of DC and spell pen.

My pure 20 human PM with shield mastery and all DR reducing gear listed above is so silly powerful it's ridiculous. SHhhhhhh.

What wizards do you see anywhere that give up any amount of Int for more HP?

Oh...besides you? You're losing 1 Int (likely 2 with gear) by not being human, or 2 by not being drow, and another 2 by not getting the capstone.

Now, I'll admit that Evasion is a compelling reason to give up 2 Int, but then your build goals and argument aren't being expressed clearly or truthfully.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Valiance View Post
    These builds are awesome and a ton of fun. To those who don't know PM with high DRish capabilities are MUCH more survivable than your average WF arcane.
    Pales have nothing that can match quickened recon. Perhaps this would be true if we get harm via enhanchments after expansion, but till then wf will be better whatever you do.

EDIT: That's why I'm puzzled with this build, really - usually if you go pale, you take human (or drow) max your DCs and then your surviviabilty; or you go wf to be able to recon in content where DCs aren't needed (say, boss fights). This build puts toughness before DCs in form - and you're prolly better off with WF archmage then.
    Last edited by budalic; 02-27-2012 at 04:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by budalic View Post
    Pales have nothing that can match quickened recon. Perhaps this would be true if we get harm via enhanchments after expansion, but till then wf will be better whatever you do.
    You're kidding, right?

In most situations, a PM casts 1 4th level spell and doesn't need any other healing whatsoever.
    In those where they do need, they can cast Negative Energy Burst, which is a little weaker than Recon, but not much, while they are still getting their ticks of 30-80 HP every 2 seconds. Plus, they can wear the Demon Consort bracers without risking a negative level (WF are affected), gain an Inflict Light Wounds every time they get hit, and gain temporary HP from lich form (or 25% stacking miss chance from Wraith form).

Recon is strong, yes, stronger than NEB, even, but definitely not stronger than all the healing tools a PM has combined, and definitely not more mana efficient. When you add scrolls to the mix, they're close, but scrolls aren't exactly cheap.

The one place WF win-out is when there is outside divine healing available that can't be changed to Harm, or when you really want to be benefiting from Mass Cures or Mass Heal.

The two end up being pretty even once everything is considered, with the PM being better in some situations and the WF better in others.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast