Post Drawn by Fate - Thursday evening static group

* Guidelines and notes: I acknowledge it is your time and your account. These are only guidelines, which I exhort you to follow, but there will be no inquisition behind you if you don't.
    • The group will run on Thursday evenings, from 9pm to 11pm (CST).
    • Attendance is expected, but we all have in-real-life (IRL) commitments sometimes; let the rest of the group know ahead of time in case you'll be missing or arriving late to a session when possible (so the others don't have to wait).
    • In case someone's missing a session, Free Agents may join.
    • Role-playing: medium. Think of your character's background, profile and personality, posting and sharing about it is recommended, but not mandatory; try to develop your character's personality. If you are not fond of role-playing, then you don't have to, as long as you let others enjoy themselves and be respectful to their performance. When speaking out-of-character (OOC), remember to use the double parenthesis (( )); if the whole group is OOC, you can skip it.
    • Keep in mind your character does not know things you already know (and vice versa). If you find a trap, act accordingly; it is not expected to commit suicide, but some characters have more acute senses than others.
    • Only characters that are able to turn, summon or control undead can communicate with the spirit of a fallen fellow member. Soulstones should be referred as 'the body'. You can't speak if you are incapacitated or unconscious. Spirits can see, hear and remember what's going on before returning to the body.
    • Gear: half of the group is formed by new players, try to keep the gear balanced to the rest of the group. Avoid using events gear (except if the whole group has participated in that event); also, keep the number of shards used equal or less than the number of your level (does not apply to weapons and shields). It's very frustrating for a new player to feel 'behind', we all know that will be the case, but we don't have to feed that sensation.
    • Multi-classing should follow your character's story.
    • Quest farming is ok, as long as the majority of the group agrees to it.
    • Character level should stay at least one level below or ahead of the rest. If you are falling behind by a lot, ask help to other guild members or 'pug' so you can catch up. If you are too ahead, wait for the rest of the group before leveling up.
    • No zerging, allow new players to get to know the quests; there's no much fun in just following (and sometimes chasing) the group through the quest.
    • HAVE FUN PLAYING YOUR CHARACTER!

If I'm missing anything, it shall be first discussed with the group, then posted here.

Chronicles in the Wind, Prologue: "A Cold Place"

I feel the wind in my face, is cold and it awakens me up... I see a halfling uttering words to me. What has happened?

Right, I remember now, a white dragon attacked the ship on my journey to Stormreach. I remember being tired of my previous life, of my past; a new start, that's all I want. I want to amend my ways, I can't change the things I've done, or bring them to their beloved families, but I want to follow that path no more, yes, that's more like it... NO MORE!

I was introduced to Talbron Tewn by this loud stranger named Jeets Shimis. I'm missing my belongings, did the sea take them? maybe the halfling did, but I'm in no position to judge him; let him keep them, my penitence, no, doesn't sound right, my penitence should be longer and heavier than this...

The leader of this group, is a fine lady named Cellimas Villuhne, hired by an anonymous employer; she reminds me of my daughter, and reminds the price I had to pay: a very high price, and it wasn't even worth it. I helped her because it seemed like a good idea, yes, it was a good idea; slaying the High Priestess felt good, and it was for a greater cause as well.

This new place ressembles my heart, cold and troubled, but no one wants to speak off the shroud that has fallen upon them -like my heart indeed. Maybe if I help them...

To my surprise, everyone is too afraid, the sahuagins, the cultists, the dragon, and even of themselves; after meeting their major, Viggie Storr, I realized why they are so scared of their own shadows; this major seems like a reflection of the town's courage, cowards. Judge no more, stop doing that, no more. Mabye if I help them... but the only one willing to do something about it, is the tavern owner, Sigmund Bauerson. After speaking to him, I've decided to help, I should wait for more adventurers, my age doesn't let me do this on my own. It shouldn't take long to gather a handful of them, *grins* with that dragon on the loose, it shouldn't take too long.

In the mind time, I'll keep my heart warm, so the Wavecrest Tavern shall hear of my new tales, yes, amend my ways I must.

My new life has begun, and I feel the wind in my face...

Post Kielynn

Kielynn knows no other life than that of looking out for herself and no one else. Orphaned as a child and growing up on the streets of a small mining town, she survived by finding what she could and taking what she needed. It didn’t take long before her reputation became too much. No matter where she went, she was accused of being a thief, a criminal and according to some outlandish rumors, a savage murderous beast.

She used her street knowledge for survival. Even though she didn’t care whom she stole from, when she would have to “acquire” things, it was only for necessity. Eventually she was taken in by a merchant and promised her food, clothing and shelter, and in exchange all that was asked was to help “conclude” certain barter transactions and agreements.

Even though she was given basic accommodations, Kielynn soon realized that the merchant was a callous man that would often ridicule her and even beat her. It became too much for her one night when she entered the merchant’s bedchamber and ran a dagger through his heart.

Having no where else to go, she headed to the docks and stowed away on a small cargo ship bound for Stormreach. She kept herself hidden away in with many of the crates and barrels that were below decks. After several days at sea the ship was suddenly attacked by a huge white dragon!

The next thing that she remembered was awaken on a cold beach by some strange Halfling named Jeets. Not owning any equipment of her own, she was given a simple weapon provided that she helped Jeets and his friends out. Willing to help out provided that she got rewarded for her efforts, she agreed.

It was a success and her group made it into the outskirts of a village called Korthos. She collected her payment and bid farewell to her group. She then headed to the local tavern to see if she could find something to eat. Inside she mingled around staying in the dark shadows cast by the hanging lanterns. She heard a group of people talking about helping the villagers. Maybe she could give them a hand. Surely there she would be awarded.

She approached the group…

Post Brofe

My name is Brofe Drexelhand; my family has lived here on Korthos for many generations. The family fortune has declined ever since House Cannith came and built their laboratories and thus brought the war here. Some of the ruins used to be Drexelhand holdings. Now my younger brother works for the Heytons, managing some of their property and I run the office of their fishing business. I know enough hedge magic to cast charms and protections on the boats and fishermen and some more showy magic to insure that accounts receivable don't fall too far behind. Since the dragon came and cut off the island, I have been engaged in discovering how and why the Devourer Cult has become so powerful.
    Last edited by Karmesh; 02-10-2012 at 12:26 AM.

Post Week 1

Chronicles in the Wind: "The Salvation of Korthos"

I feel the wind in my face, as I look outside from The Leaky Dinghy, an inn next to the ocean in The Harbor. The wind is fresh and cold; it talks to me, bringing memories from my past, they are here to haunt me, but I'm ready, yes, ready to endure and overcome my fears.

During my stay in Korthos, I often heard the dragon attacking any incoming boat. Eventually, a few adventurers got stranded in Korthos. It wasn't my intention to create a party, but it was clear that if we were to leave Korthos, then we had to work together, and so we did. To my surprise, villagers from Korthos were so afraid, because they no longer knew who was friend or foe among themselves. The cultists and the sahuagin infiltrations, and their efforts to destroy the village, were just too great for the villagers to deal with all the dangers and perils; we arrived when we were most needed, drawn by fate, apparently.

Firstly, I met this cleric, who has an unique personality, clearly he was raised in lands I haven't explored or seen yet; with a strong faith, he kept us encouraged to fight, raising our morale and healing our wounds when necessary. Then we met a half-orc, whose size is as big as her innocence, forced to leave her clan because she couldn't cook; her strength made our quest to help Korthos so much easier. Hidden under the shadows, there was a timid drow, whose willingness to aid us seemed to be more driven by hunger than anything else, she kept laying her hands on anything shiny that had even the slightest value; her skills are an asset, I must say, she helped us clear the traps that were set in our way, and unlock any door or chest as well. A mysterious deliverer was looking for the drow, who sent him and what was in the package, is unknown, but he was compelled to help us, because that was the only way we could get out of Korthos; it amazed me his skills to manipulate the elements and use them against our foes (and now I wonder if I'm able to manipulate the wind), good thing he is in our side. Lastly, the bravest villager I met, joined us, but his burden was too much to carry alone, since his brother was an accomplice of the cultists, and he was forced to leave the village.

This new experience felt so much better than what I could have ever possible imagine, yes, it was good, very good indeed. Who would have thought that an old mercenary like me, is now unconditionally helping others. The expression on Kaja's face when she knew we found Lars Heyton; Baldar's relief when we protected the last Cannith Crystal that held the village warm; for the first time in my life, I wasn't the bringer of grief and sorrow, no, no more! I must add, that Cassinii (the deliverer) had a particular interest in saving damsels in distress (which Machunga interpreted as 'damsels in the dress'), Drusen d'Jorasco and that coward's daughter, Arissa, they both couldn't believe they were rescued; as I saw the sorcerer staying speechless as the damsels were thanking us, I noticed the fighter kept comparing their clothing with Cassinii's outfit, but Kielynn (whom now I should address as Lynn) kept looking for treasure instead. As Nacolito kept the undead at bay, Brofe kept wondering why his brother betrayed his village. In my opinion, he should wonder about it no more, his brother belongs to the past, and knowing he was the one that brought justice upon him, should be enough of a penitence; heavy his burden is indeed.

After we helped Lars Heyton to free the dragon's (Aussircaex) mind from the mindflayer (Drastix Aschtand) by destroying the Quori Mindsunder, we went back to the village to get our rewards and people's thanking, and we set sail towards Stormreach. I felt alive for the first time in my life, and I want to keep helping others, undo all the wrong deeds I did before, so I convinced my companions to stick around; my age refrains me to do all these by myself.

I must strive for more discipline within my mind, and within my heart, and as I look outside the window, wondering about my future and my new ways, I feel the wind in my face...

Post Week 2

Chronicles in the Wind: "A Brand New Day"

I feel the wind in my face while I recapitulate about the latest events since the dragon attacked the ship I was traveling on. You never know what life has prepared for you, just when you think you can't be surprised anymore, you end up in a new place with new people, doing the opposite of what you used to do. The thought of me helping others unconditionally... laughable, yes, laughable indeed, yet here I am. Some of my companions don't share that point of view, I can understand them, I won't judge them, no, judge no more I said.

There is much to be done here in The Harbor, life isn't as simple as anyone would have thought of down here. First we put an end to some gambling illegal activity, and as we went through this gamblers' den, I noticed Lynn kept looking for any hidden goods that she could keep for herself. Then we helped House d'Phiarlan to retrieve an artifact from Osgood's basement, some local smuggler.

When I realized, we couldn't stop, the activities were overwhelming, but now, I have help, yes, my new friends indeed. They have their talents and desires, that combined together, we are accomplishing a lot of tasks for the people in Stormreach, more than what my old bones could carry on with. We spent several hours exploring sewers, clearing them from the kobolds infestation; as we were down there, it caught my attention something called 'arcane magic'; Brofe and Cassinii seem to have a better understanding of that, yet their ways are different: Cassinii makes it seem so natural and simple, but Brofe is always studying, always carrying books with him. Maybe I can learn a few things from their combined knowledge. Machunga seems to be like the waves in the ocean, always moving, never resting, clearing everything in her path, yet you feel better and relieved when she's near; those kobolds sure learned what she is capable of. Nacolito intrigues me a lot, as he may seem relaxed and often distracted, he always know what to do and when to do it, how does he manage that? That, I don't know, at least not yet, maybe he gets some sort of divine guidance. Lynn seems to have an instinct for finding treasure, even if the most complex trap is in her way; I know the path she is following, it doesn't end well, but it is her path after all, her decisions, her life.

After walking what people call The Butcher's Path, we heard from Guard Jung that some kobolds had a new leader, so we volunteered and helped him with this matter. The Harbormaster Zin heard from our deeds in The Harbor, and he told us about kobolds taking children into the Waterworks, to what end? it matters not, it really doesn't, we must put an end to this and help all the people these kobolds held captive. The Guards seemed to do their work, but Guard Tember got injured, and his cousins, Arlos and Venn, were took as prisoners. He begged for our aid, so we ventured deeper into the Waterworks to face the Gnashtooth Clan and their leader. We were able to rescue Arlos, and now we are getting ready to go seek Venn.

This new lifestyle, these new ways I found, my new comrades, they all make me feel rejuvenated, refreshed, yes, friendship, body and mental discipline are invigorating my soul, and it feels good, yes, good indeed. And as I acquire supplies from Elspeth Wright, I feel the wind in my face...

Post Week 3

Chronicles in the Wind: "Bearer of Sad News"

I feel the wind in my face, it makes me remember the times I stood in front of my deceased 'jobs' and targets; ironic how I used to create sad news to others, but now, I'm the messenger of a crime I didn't commit, very ironic indeed. Tember knew the risks involved as Guard, and he knew his cousin deserved a better end, not tortured by the hands of filthy kobolds. Boss Jittik and the Tunnelworm Interrogator got what they deserved, although that won't bring Venn back. Venn left a message, that would explain why the kobolds seem to be organized and have ogres helping them, it also got my attention that we ran into hobgoblins in the sewers. What do all of these mean? I'm sure we'll find out eventually.

I'm getting to know better my companions, they work hard, I can tell, even though they don't share the same reasons behind doing what we do, it looks our goals lead to the same road. As we were walking near the Catacombs, I got curious to know how Nacolito became a cleric, he told me his uncle Julio De La Cruz inspired him, used to call him 'Nacolito su favorito', whatever that means; he was taught everything by his uncle, and now carries on with the duties of a cleric for a greater good. Cassinii didn't learn his skills anywhere, they just happened to develop as he realized acid was coming out of his hands as he grew up; eventually he learned how to manipulate it, and it seems he keeps getting better at it. Machunga keeps thinking Cassinii is a girly man, especially after hearing his screams when we gets hit; but then again, Machunga looks the manliest of us all. There's nothing much to say about Lynn and Brofe; Lynn seems fascinated by treasure and Brofe is the most quiet of us all. I judge them no more, yes, that's correct, judge no more; their strengths and abilities are unique, and we are gathering some fame across Stormreach, not my intention, but I can't change others opinions.

Friar Renau looked troubled, and as we were approaching him, I saw a glance of hope. He identify us as adventurers and asked for our assistance; he is worried about his niece, Marguerite. We agreed to help him, even though is very unusual for The Silver Flame to request outside help. We went down, to the Sanctuary and found blood and corpses lying everywhere! What could have possibly happened there? It didn't take us long to find out undead were behind the brutality occurred. 'They walk again' was all we found, a note addressed to Archbishop Dryden.

After the Archbishop granted us an audience, we explained what we saw, he couldn't believe that undead were freely roaming on sacred grounds, no he didn't, yet that doesn't change the truth. He sent us to search for a witness, and so we did find one, but his mind was very altered and he kept saying nonsenses. 'She hates him', 'The Duality' and other meaningless words came from his mouth. That surely got the Archbishop's interest, Duality, a secret book written by his uncle. We couldn't save the Head Librarian Guillaume, but we retrieved that book. Dryden said the book was incomplete, that we must enter Dryden's Family Crypt and look for the missing part, he believes Gerard Dryden must have hid it there, somewhere, so the path of our following actions has been set.

I think of all of the people we couldn't save, and I'm sure many others will share their same fate. Is not what I wish, no, it really isn't, but along with my new duties, it seems that I've become the Bearer of Sad News for I am the one that passes on the word of others' misfortune. I'll carry those memories, and keep them along with my penitence for my past actions, and as everything clusters in my mind while we get ready for our next mission, I feel the wind in my face...

Post Week 4

Chronicles in the Wind: The Archbishop's Daughter"

I feel the wind in my face, as we walk outside the Catacombs; my mind keeps trying to understand what just happened, how did it come to this? Undead led by former leaders of The Silver Flame. Sure, I know I'm in no position to judge someone for sacrificing his own daughter, heavens know I'm not, still, letting her go as far as she did... that girl is lucky to have the uncle she has, otherwise the story would be different. I can only lower my head after wishing my daughter had an uncle.

After taking proper rest, we went into Dryden's Family Crypt, what a place to reanimate undead, I've never seen that amount of bones clattering as they were released from their sarcophagi in my life before; Machunga seemed very happy to smash everything in her sight, and did her best to defend the rest of us, she didn't leave a single bone in one piece. We found what we went in for, and after we informed to the Archbishop what we saw and read, he knew what was going to be his daughter's next move.

The Archbishop told us how Marguerite would attempt to unleash her powers, and we needed to make haste, for in order to reach the Patriarch's Crypt, first we had to purify all those altars at the Lower Cathedral. While we were going down the stairs, Lynn had a particular interest in the tapestries, and if it weren't for the guards, she would have taken a souvenir or two; Brofe contributed a bit by giving her ideas on where to get more. Nacolito's faith was a valuable asset, as he was able to turn undead away from us, he also knew what to do when it came to purifying those altars. We finally reached the Patriarch's Crypt, and after warding it, Marguerite let us know she was really angry and chased us until we were able to scape from that place. Without she being able to increase her unholy power, we set foot on the Eastern Catacomb to confront her, that's when we knew she was being manipulated by her father. I could not describe the sensation that traveled through my veins, yes, undescribable indeed.

After we purified the last of the altars, we went to confront the Archbishop, The Church of the Silver Flame wouldn't be happy to hear what Dryden was plotting all along, but once we got there, Arkasic Dryden manifested himself, he possessed the Archbishop and orchestrated everything. The Archbishop has a lot of cleaning to do now, Friar Renau is doing his best to help Marguerite and he convinced us to remain silent, as if nothing of what happened ever took place, and as we walk away from the Catacombs, I feel the wind in my face...