Community Member

Default My Whine at Turbine…

Before I posted this I did look around for a better place to post my displeasure of being nickel and dime to death… I could not find one…. So here is my Whine Turbine. No need for anyone to comment I just want to get it off my chest that some of us are not happy being VIPs and still having to fork over money because it’s not included in our monthly subscription…

The reason I became Pay to Play was to go where I wanted and to do what I wanted without the free to play restrictions, I have been a P2P for over 2 years. That about 300 dollars I have paid to play DDO without restrictions... (I started when it was around 15 bucks a month…) this doesn’t include the DDO Points cards that I have also purchased , with the new Artificial Class (that’s not a Typo) , and with a new possibly pay expansion pack, Which is not going to make me pull out my wallet fork over more money, but instead is going to make me re-valuate being P2P, and I am starting to think P2P is not the way to go anymore… what would I have if I would have purchased the game in pieces with that 300 dollars, maybe 150 dollars in my pocket, and maybe more because I find myself running in the same 5 or 6 different locations in the game… I know the bottom line is for you turbine to make money and you are making money off me every month…but I feel it’s too late for me to go back to F2P and invest another 150 dollars to unlock everything I could have unlocked if I would have stayed F2P… this new expansion pack may be the deal breaker, and it’s not just me there are 5 other P2P people in my static group that has agreed that we would move to another game together because we like playing together.

Ask yourself this.
    How is a VIP Player of two or three year in game better off than a Free to Play Player with 100 Dollars...?

Anyways that’s my Whine...

BTW I love the game itself..
    Last edited by Double_O; 02-07-2012 at 06:22 PM.

Since you stated it, it is safe to call it what it is, whining.

You're whining that you paid for two years of ViP and think you got nothing out of it. Except for perhaps hundreds of hours of enjoyment and entertainment doing whatever you would like to within the game.

Use the same budget and go find another form of entertainment that offers you the same amount of time that you spent playing DDO that is not another game.

I'll bet you can't do it.

That's why paying for DDO is worth it. Free to play is the same thing, only with more restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Double_O View Post
    How is a VIP Player of two or three year in game better off than a Free to Play Player with 100 Dollars...?
    Eh... I don't know if I have the answer to that. I've been playing since 2008, and as soon as the VIP/Premium thing was announced with the DDO Store, I unsubscribed, bought about $120 worth of TP, and then used all the TP to buy all the adventure packs, thinking I would never have to pay another penny again (of course I knew I would have to buy more TP every once in a while when new quests came out).

Even so, I still spend about $15-ish a month in the DDO Store; curse you Turbine and your clever money-making schemes!
    Have you ever wanted to create your own customized user interface skins for DDO?
    Click this sentence for a tutorial learning how, an easy-to-follow video guide.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Double_O View Post
    Short answer? They aren't (well, maybe they are vs $100. Getting all the packs and features is a little rough to accomplish at $100. But they are less then VIP the whole time, certainly).

But, and I bring this up anytime I get into one of these discussions, what other then the name (which is fluff) makes folks think that VIP is the better service to begin with? The simple fact of the matter is that before FTP -- ie when it was all VIP basically, the game was going under. F2P then has all these success stories, getting an expansion, etc. So CLEARLY, its the f2p income, which is mostly going to be from micro-transactions/turbine points, that turbine is making their money. And in the end, that's their goal. Which means VIP is not the top priority because its not the top money-maker. Not saying that's fair or right or anything else, just saying that this is what I believe the truth to be.

From the day things went f2p, my advice to anyone who asked is that is you liked the game on f2p, vip for a month or two to learn it and have access to all the quest chains was a fine investment, but if you were going to be here long term, turbine points and premium was the way to go. That's the way I've done it, as well as many others, and is the way that makes the most economic sense in my opinion (though, if you are frugal with not wasting points, a year sub to vip for $100 which gives you ~$60 worth of points (at non-sale prices mind) isn't a bad value if you then stop the sub and buy the critical packs with your saved TP)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MsEricka View Post
    Since you stated it, it is safe to call it what it is, whining.
    It is safe to say its whining, and I know it is, that's why I called it whining... and I feel you are correct on all accounts but one...

Use the same budget and go find another form of entertainment that offers you the same amount of time that you spent playing DDO that is not another game.

I'll bet you can't do it.
    I can find allot of things to do for the same if not less... I did live before DDO, and will live after DDO... my life does not revolve around a video game...

have a good day...

Azonalanthious, I wished I would have had your advice when I started....
    Last edited by Double_O; 02-07-2012 at 06:06 PM.

I can find allot of things to do for the same if not less... I did live before DDO, and will live after DDO... my life does not revolve around a video game...

have a good day...
    You didn't read what I typed, or perhaps didn't understand.

Find something else to do with the same budget and the same amount of time you spend on DDO. Do you spend 20 hours a month playing DDO? 40? 100? Even at 20 hours a month splitting $15 into that means it better be one heck of a cheap hobby.

Seriously, MMO's are a good bang for the buck you spend.

Community Member

You didn't read what I typed, or perhaps didn't understand.

Find something else to do with the same budget and the same amount of time you spend on DDO. Do you spend 20 hours a month playing DDO? 40? 100? Even at 20 hours a month splitting $15 into that means it better be one heck of a cheap hobby.

Seriously, MMO's are a good bang for the buck you spend.
    I will say that I spend more time reading (library books = free!) and playing Europa Universalis III (which even with 4 expansion packs has cost me less then I've spent on ddo) then I do here, but I do think/agree that its a pretty darn good value.

Community Member

I agree 15 bucks a month is a great deal... but its 15 bucks a month, and if you want THIS its another 10 bucks, and if you want THAT add on its 40 bucks...

BTW... I like to fish... 15 bucks a YEAR....24/7 365..

I didn't mean for this to get commits, I meant it for turbine, to hear my displeasure about VIP Accounts and New Content...

Default Meh

I pay 30 bucks for 3 months, I can make that easily in 2 hours.
    What I get for that money, most of the races and classes I enjoy playing.

I can play DDO any time I want, I can just log in and have lots of fun, whether it's dying in some pit or claiming rare treasures, I have fun. It might sound like a lot of money but is not.

Divide money spent by hours played, and you'll recognize what's better.
    Farm Epic Elite Chests by yourself.
    Hide of Goristro ~5 Mins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNIwV...ature=youtu.be
    Spider Silk & Stone Heart ~2 Mins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSABE...ature=youtu.be

I've spent about 125 euros so far on this game. I'm going with the assumption that 1 Euro = 1 dollar here because all the crummy taxes that Europeans have to put up and all the inflation/deflation and such (and because it's darn handy to calculate).

What did I get for that money?

- All Adventure packs, even the crappy ones (yes I even bought the crappy ones when they were on sale).
    - The Challenges pack
    - Warforged
    - Monk
    - Artificer
    - 32 point builds
    - 5th character slot

What did I not get?

- Drow
    - Veteran status
    - Half orc
    - Half elf
    - Favored Soul

Everything was bought on sale. I bought one of the biggest point packs when you got double points for it.

I still have 1.1k points to spare now.

Some people may find 125 euros a lot. I find it a lot when I have to buy one of those shiny discs in store for some silly game that has been done to death. This game drew me in being free and offered plenty incentive of at least buying one point pack.

I will never go VIP. I dread anything subscription based, I even dread my insurance (I'm basically paying for nothing until I get hurt and it's mandatory in this country too).

When I leave this game, I will have no regret having spent that amount of money (or more). I had fun for it. A lot of fun. How much is fun worth to you?