Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1. #1
    Community Member parvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pigmy Drow Paradise
    Posts
    4,502

    Default Mortal Voyage completes Desecrated Temple of Vol and Fleshmakers Laboratory

    Congratulations to the Mortal Voyage group completion of two guild firsts. Desecrated Temple of Vol and Fleshmakers Laboratory, both on hard. Very fun questing and no deaths. Great loot, including:

    +2 Strength Tome
    +2 Constitution Tome
    Vorpal Dwarven Axe (first one pulled in MV)
    +13 Spot Goggles
    Named boots with +5 resistance bonus and striding

    Congratulations and well done:

    Redlarry 13/1/1 cleric/favored soul/wizard*
    Niabira 14 wizard*
    Helgah 15 cleric
    Bladeslosh 14/1 favored soul/fighter
    Empril 12/3 paladin/fighter
    Depta 13/2 wizard/rogue*

    *Orchard quest virgins

    Cheers and stay hard
    -parvo
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

  2. #2
    Community Member Havok.cry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sarcasm Inc., Sarlona Branch
    Posts
    3,121

    Default

    Gratz man! If I played permadeath, the orchard would scare me. Do you plan on progressing all the way to smacking around the abbot?
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

  3. #3
    Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    7,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    Gratz man! If I played permadeath, the orchard would scare me. Do you plan on progressing all the way to smacking around the abbot?
    Abbot ... Wow, can't think of any surer way to kill off a PD character (except maybe transitioning from Shroud part 4 to 5 but then only just).

  4. #4
    Community Member Havok.cry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sarcasm Inc., Sarlona Branch
    Posts
    3,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wax_on_wax_off View Post
    Abbot ... Wow, can't think of any surer way to kill off a PD character (except maybe transitioning from Shroud part 4 to 5 but then only just).
    Yeah, I know. In my veiw, permadeath abbot would be among the same level of achievements as soloing elite ToD
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

  5. #5
    Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    7,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    Yeah, I know. In my veiw, permadeath abbot would be among the same level of achievements as soloing elite ToD
    Has anyone ever soloed elite ToD? I've seen duo/trios but not sure if I've seen a solo ...

  6. #6
    Community Member Hobgoblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    hell.
    Posts
    5,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wax_on_wax_off View Post
    Has anyone ever soloed elite ToD? I've seen duo/trios but not sure if I've seen a solo ...
    ya it was either teth or ayspam on a fvs before the wings nerf

    hob
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

  7. #7
    Community Member Munkenmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wax_on_wax_off View Post
    Has anyone ever soloed elite ToD? I've seen duo/trios but not sure if I've seen a solo ...
    I've got a feeling xtethx might have managed it, I know a quick google search brings up someone who did it on norm with no pots though.

  8. #8
    Community Member parvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pigmy Drow Paradise
    Posts
    4,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    Gratz man! If I played permadeath, the orchard would scare me. Do you plan on progressing all the way to smacking around the abbot?
    Probably not. We have a no-spoilers rule that makes most raids pretty suicidal. A long time ago, in non-PD, when VON was the top raid, I played that one. Took the guild three tries and the first two were wipes. I was not a very observant player then, but I remember a couple of circumstances where very specific tactics had to be discussed in advance and used perfectly. There were odd raid mechanics that killed characters without warning. In Mortal Voyage, we have completed Tempest Spine on elite, and Chronoscope on hard. Those are the only raids we have done.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

  9. #9
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,125

    Default

    Congrats! Awesome achievement guys!

  10. #10
    Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    7,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    Probably not. We have a no-spoilers rule that makes most raids pretty suicidal. A long time ago, in non-PD, when VON was the top raid, I played that one. Took the guild three tries and the first two were wipes. I was not a very observant player then, but I remember a couple of circumstances where very specific tactics had to be discussed in advance and used perfectly. There were odd raid mechanics that killed characters without warning. In Mortal Voyage, we have completed Tempest Spine on elite, and Chronoscope on hard. Those are the only raids we have done.
    Maybe some exceptions to the no-spoilers rule could be allowed for raids? Even with spoilers abbot is suicidal but some successful gather information checks might give enough of an edge that you might make it through after losing only a dozen or so characters in there.

  11. #11
    Community Member Havok.cry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sarcasm Inc., Sarlona Branch
    Posts
    3,121

    Default

    Would you reconsider after u13 changes make flagging for abbot alot easier, or is farming wilderness areas against your rules?
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

  12. #12
    Community Member parvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pigmy Drow Paradise
    Posts
    4,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    Would you reconsider after u13 changes make flagging for abbot alot easier, or is farming wilderness areas against your rules?
    We won't farm explorer areas.

    As far as suspending the no spoilers rule, I don't know. We've discussed it internally before.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

  13. #13

    Default

    Grats on the completions! I know that both of those quests were run way, way back when V, Sun, Os, Movan, Naz and others were adventuring in the Orchard in MV. But that would be over 3 years ago. We never did run Ghosts of Perdition, out of pure fear. In The Core we have only run and completed that quest once, though our radiant servant made it less terrifying than in days of yore.

    Just a note about raiding and grinding to flag for "higher" level quests. I believe the requirement for running the level 14 "Gianthold Tor" quest has been reduced to a manageable level for permadeath guilds with self-imposed restrictions. If you run the explorer areas in Gianthold, do all the walk-up quests, and then run Madstone, Crucible and Prison of the Planes on hard (and/or elite), you should have enough giant/dragon/elf relics to flag for Gianthold Tor. The required amount is 9 relics each.

    In The Core it would mean max level 16 for Gianthold Tor on hard. It would be great to knock it out as a guild first and dip the blades in dragon blood (at least one of them).

    cheers,

    Mo.
    The Core HC Permadeath Guild
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber
    thecorehc.home.comcast.net

  14. #14
    Community Member parvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pigmy Drow Paradise
    Posts
    4,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duncani_Daho View Post
    Grats on the completions! I know that both of those quests were run way, way back when V, Sun, Os, Movan, Naz and others were adventuring in the Orchard in MV. But that would be over 3 years ago. We never did run Ghosts of Perdition, out of pure fear. In The Core we have only run and completed that quest once, though our radiant servant made it less terrifying than in days of yore.

    Just a note about raiding and grinding to flag for "higher" level quests. I believe the requirement for running the level 14 "Gianthold Tor" quest has been reduced to a manageable level for permadeath guilds with self-imposed restrictions. If you run the explorer areas in Gianthold, do all the walk-up quests, and then run Madstone, Crucible and Prison of the Planes on hard (and/or elite), you should have enough giant/dragon/elf relics to flag for Gianthold Tor. The required amount is 9 relics each.

    In The Core it would mean max level 16 for Gianthold Tor on hard. It would be great to knock it out as a guild first and dip the blades in dragon blood (at least one of them).

    cheers,

    Mo.
    In MV, our top group plays little non-PD. Many of us (including me) are on our highest characters ever. Scouting Desecrated Temple of Vol and Fleshmakers Laboratory as a virgin, is the most fun I can have in this game, but it would not be fun, if without any warning, I moved into an area and died because of some stupid raid mechanic that has to be learned and practiced from multiple character deaths. For example, a fun raid is Chronoscope (no surprise death mechanics) an unfun raid is VoN (surprise death mechanics, or at least it used to have at least one that I know of). Many of us have enough relics for Gianthold, but no one is saying we have a chance of completing without prior knowledge.

    Regarding Ghosts of Perdition, I want to try it but am not hell bent on it. If Depta survives one more quest, our only scout in range will be past running it on hard. So maybe we'll try it this weekend or maybe when another tier of characters gets in range. There is so much XP that I can't do all the quests without double-blue-lining. Reading about your completion is inspiring for us to try it.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

  15. #15
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
    Posts
    2,552

    Default

    Fleshmaker's is impressive under "no spoilers". The endfight and some traps can be really bad for a party. The orchard quests are a bigger challenge than most level 15/16 content (with one insane exception)

    Are you planning on Inferno of the Damned and Ghosts of Perdition? Permadeath ghosts would be awesome.

    I don't think it's possible to flag for abbot under parvo's rules, unless they change it to allow sigil farming and multiple litany completions.
    Kmnh * Kmn * Kmm * Knn * Knm

    Leader of Templar

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    In MV, our top group plays little non-PD. Many of us (including me) are on our highest characters ever. Scouting Desecrated Temple of Vol and Fleshmakers Laboratory as a virgin, is the most fun I can have in this game, but it would not be fun, if without any warning, I moved into an area and died because of some stupid raid mechanic that has to be learned and practiced from multiple character deaths. For example, a fun raid is Chronoscope (no surprise death mechanics) an unfun raid is VoN (surprise death mechanics, or at least it used to have at least one that I know of). Many of us have enough relics for Gianthold, but no one is saying we have a chance of completing without prior knowledge.

    Regarding Ghosts of Perdition, I want to try it but am not hell bent on it. If Depta survives one more quest, our only scout in range will be past running it on hard. So maybe we'll try it this weekend or maybe when another tier of characters gets in range. There is so much XP that I can't do all the quests without double-blue-lining. Reading about your completion is inspiring for us to try it.
    Prior Knowledge is indeed a huge factor. We will soon run the finale of the level 17 continuation of Harbor of Madness series on hard. I have never seen the quest on that difficulty, and perhaps only one or two in our party will have ever been inside. In The Core we try to tip the scale back by taking away shrines and demanding conservation of resources because knowledge of quests 1-16 is pretty much a given.

    The really great news is that Update 13 comes out soon and there won't have to be any waiting around. I heard the quests will be level 16? Which would mean we could go in on hard difficulty with virgin eyes. That will be exciting questing at the highest level for me.

    Gianthold Tor is not a raid and it does not require any prior knowledge to complete. Prior knowledge of the quest would certainly help, but if you can run The Flesh Makers Lab, you should be able to complete Gianthold Tor. The raid in Gianthold is another matter and we'll almost certainly never run it in The Core.

    Technically, no knowledge of The Crucible is required to complete it. But it would certainly be a 10 difficulty for some party that didn't know it. I lost my level 15 arcane archer/rogue in there, and it was probably the most painful death I have suffered in PD play. Without a doubt, the best build for scouting, searching and disabling traps, killing enemies, and being an overall useful character for a party in The Core is an elf arcane archer with 1 level of rogue, lots of ranger levels, and 1 fighter level for added hit points. The third level ranger spell, Wild Instincts, is part of that reason. I was really looking forward to adventuring with him in the high levels but The Crucible had other ideas.

    In The Core, we are expected to run such quests. Technically, no prior knowledge is required to kill the Demon in the Pit at the end of the Red Fens series, but I have been pushing for a group to take him on. It's one of the things I want crossed off my list. So I am sweetening the deal with very entincing bounties. Otherwise people will wisely skip it. Just like most rogues in the level 14-16 range wisely skip The Crucible. Maybe I need more wisdom....
    The Core HC Permadeath Guild
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber
    thecorehc.home.comcast.net

  17. #17
    Community Member voodoogroves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Cackalacky
    Posts
    9,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duncani_Daho View Post
    Gianthold Tor is not a raid and it does not require any prior knowledge to complete. Prior knowledge of the quest would certainly help, but if you can run The Flesh Makers Lab, you should be able to complete Gianthold Tor. The raid in Gianthold is another matter and we'll almost certainly never run it in The Core.
    Do you do the dragon optionals?

    I ask because one of them is a bit harsher as of late ...
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

  18. #18
    Community Member parvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pigmy Drow Paradise
    Posts
    4,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duncani_Daho View Post
    Prior Knowledge is indeed a huge factor. We will soon run the finale of the level 17 continuation of Harbor of Madness series on hard. I have never seen the quest on that difficulty, and perhaps only one or two in our party will have ever been inside. In The Core we try to tip the scale back by taking away shrines and demanding conservation of resources because knowledge of quests 1-16 is pretty much a given.

    The really great news is that Update 13 comes out soon and there won't have to be any waiting around. I heard the quests will be level 16? Which would mean we could go in on hard difficulty with virgin eyes. That will be exciting questing at the highest level for me.

    Gianthold Tor is not a raid and it does not require any prior knowledge to complete. Prior knowledge of the quest would certainly help, but if you can run The Flesh Makers Lab, you should be able to complete Gianthold Tor. The raid in Gianthold is another matter and we'll almost certainly never run it in The Core.

    Technically, no knowledge of The Crucible is required to complete it. But it would certainly be a 10 difficulty for some party that didn't know it. I lost my level 15 arcane archer/rogue in there, and it was probably the most painful death I have suffered in PD play. Without a doubt, the best build for scouting, searching and disabling traps, killing enemies, and being an overall useful character for a party in The Core is an elf arcane archer with 1 level of rogue, lots of ranger levels, and 1 fighter level for added hit points. The third level ranger spell, Wild Instincts, is part of that reason. I was really looking forward to adventuring with him in the high levels but The Crucible had other ideas.

    In The Core, we are expected to run such quests. Technically, no prior knowledge is required to kill the Demon in the Pit at the end of the Red Fens series, but I have been pushing for a group to take him on. It's one of the things I want crossed off my list. So I am sweetening the deal with very entincing bounties. Otherwise people will wisely skip it. Just like most rogues in the level 14-16 range wisely skip The Crucible. Maybe I need more wisdom....
    We attempted Crucible twice. Both times ended with deaths and the second time was an unrecoverable rogue death. Both times were tense and fun but it does hurt to loose a high level scout. I want to try it again. I will scout that one myself one day.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    Do you do the dragon optionals?

    I ask because one of them is a bit harsher as of late ...
    We have never attempted Gianthold Tor. The flagging mechanic used to be 20 relics of each kind: dragon, giant, and elven. That was a stretch for The Core because we don't repeat quests. Most of Gianthold is once-and-done since The Crucible is much too scary, and the amount of xp in the game means people can level past the 13's pretty fast.

    That being said, I would love to give it a shot. My thinking is we'd see how the first dragon fight goes and if we have the right mix of characters (spellsinger, radiant servant) and/or mana pots, we would try to kill all three dragons in one run. Probably won't happen in The Core for a long, long time. The Reaver's Refuge, Inspired Quarter, and Amroth quests are all waiting patiently to kick our butts. But Tor is certainly on the to-do list.
    The Core HC Permadeath Guild
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber
    thecorehc.home.comcast.net

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    We attempted Crucible twice. Both times ended with deaths and the second time was an unrecoverable rogue death. Both times were tense and fun but it does hurt to loose a high level scout. I want to try it again. I will scout that one myself one day.
    Yeah, I think of that quest as Prove Your Worth for grown ups. I think a Mechanic II with Improved Evasion would do alright in The Crucible. A really beefy barbarian/rogue (as Chai said earlier) might also be the best bet. But for my money, a "mostly-monk" trapsmith (monks get improved evasion at level 9) using Water Stance stands the best chance. Monincha has taken Toughness four times and can crank his reflex up to 36 with greater heroism (38 save vs. traps). I would never ever never attempt The Crucible on hard with anything lower than a 30 reflex save. My Mario Skills leave something to be desired, so I need all the help I can get.

    By the way, I went into a nameless level 18+ quest on normal with Monincha (its allowed to run quest level 14+ in The Core as long as everyone is underlevel and isn't repeating normal) and could NOT spot the traps with a 46 spot. His wisdom in Water Stance is 22, he wears Spot +10 goggles, and he has Elven Spot III and Rogue Spot II (+5 from enhancements). And he's a drow elf to boot. In other words, his skills are top-notch. It was disconcerting.

    Lastly, a little journal note: we ran The Flesh Maker's Lab on elite (one death, one raise) and the Desecrated Temple of Vol on hard (one death and one raise-- same toon!), and then Prison of the Planes on elite and Monincha leveled up to 17. I normally prefer not to bank xp since life is short. He's ready for Update 13.
    Last edited by Duncani_Daho; 02-08-2012 at 02:09 AM.
    The Core HC Permadeath Guild
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber
    thecorehc.home.comcast.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload