Thread: Hamstring

Default Hamstring

So, i keep getting asked if i got the feat hamstring on my rogue ( i don't). Especially in tod pt3.
    Now, i feel i'm pretty feat starved as it is and really can't fit it in, but then again, i have never used
    hamstring or seen it in action.

Does anyone know how effective this feat is and in which ways? I doubt i'll take it but at least i'll know what i'm missing out on.

Seems like a neat feat for a 13rogue/6x/1x build tho. Or for those monks that get SA too? I don't know anything about monks... :-p
    Triumore - Triu - Broktar
    Mitis Mors

It can slow the attack speed on bosses (of sorts normally vulnerable to hamstring that is), which can be really useful to the group. I have it on one of the mentioned 13/6/1 builds. Having it is nice, it does give a very tangible contribution in raids that are not rogue friendly, such as Lord of Blades.
    Khyber: Runforr 13/6/1 Rog/Ftr/Mnk, Bakup 3/3/1 Mnk/Pal/Rog (TR Pal), Faylah 14 Mnk (TR Mnk), Janthyra 12/7/1 Brb/Rog/Ftr, Ainbthech 20 Sor, Fliethas 18/2 Fvs/Mnk, Unfilled 12/6/2 Mnk/Rgr/Ftr, Arcanemark 10 Wiz "Don't eat us dragon! We're like you, but smaller. And fly worse." - Kobold Crewman on the Heart of Wind

Hamstring is incredible. If there is any way you can possibly fit it in, do so...My main uses it on literally every boss, for casters and other ranged mobs that try and run away, and many other enemies, and I sorely miss it when I'm playing another toon.
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

Community Member

Cool, Im glad for this post as I have wondered the same as the original poster.

I did try to take this feat once, but it was on my fighter/rogue arcane archer, who had the feat space for one extra, but of course it doesnt work with ranged (I was pretty sure it didnt but really wanted it to, so I tried it out).

Not to derail... but, there's an idea for helping ranged combat, flip the switch (so to speak) and allow hamstring to work on ranged attacks.

/hopes its that easy

I've been getting hamstrung quite a bit by mobs.

I'm worried though that it's one of those abilities that doesn't work so well for players.

No spell/curative seems to get rid of this debuff - Cure Serious Wounds or better really should.

BTW it seems to work fine for Gnoll Archers in the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    I've been getting hamstrung quite a bit by mobs.

I'm worried though that it's one of those abilities that doesn't work so well for players.

No spell/curative seems to get rid of this debuff - Cure Serious Wounds or better really should.

BTW it seems to work fine for Gnoll Archers in the desert.
    Yeah, they love to hamstring me too.

For Harry, Sullo, and Horoth, who's attack speed seems to be linked to Movement Speed, Hamstring is an incredible debuff. Think about how people used to use Tendon Slicing Weapons in shroud to slow down Harry? Same deal.

Does not work in LoB however, as constructs don't have Hams to be Strung.
    Smrti///Warcrye///Dukkha///Nomey///Dhaarmika///Smrtiheals
    Focused Melee Discussion as of U17
    Proud Gimp of Crimson Eagles and now Loreseekers!

Quote Originally Posted by Blank_Zero View Post
    For Harry, Sullo, and Horoth, who's attack speed seems to be linked to Movement Speed, Hamstring is an incredible debuff. Think about how people used to use Tendon Slicing Weapons in shroud to slow down Harry? Same deal.

Does not work in LoB however, as constructs don't have Hams to be Strung.
    Actually, hamstring works on warforged. The debuff shows up and everything. I've used it plenty of times on LoB.
    Khyber: Runforr 13/6/1 Rog/Ftr/Mnk, Bakup 3/3/1 Mnk/Pal/Rog (TR Pal), Faylah 14 Mnk (TR Mnk), Janthyra 12/7/1 Brb/Rog/Ftr, Ainbthech 20 Sor, Fliethas 18/2 Fvs/Mnk, Unfilled 12/6/2 Mnk/Rgr/Ftr, Arcanemark 10 Wiz "Don't eat us dragon! We're like you, but smaller. And fly worse." - Kobold Crewman on the Heart of Wind

Quote Originally Posted by Diyon View Post
    Actually, hamstring works on warforged. The debuff shows up and everything. I've used it plenty of times on LoB.
    And it certainly works on WF players. And when used by enemy archers.

It's a very good feat overall, if you can fit it, take it. Many pure rogues cannot, however.

Noted for future use... Does it work on DQ? Or sorjek/abbot, or tor dragons/gaints?
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Community Member

Its silly that enemy mobs can use it ranged but players cant.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    Noted for future use... Does it work on DQ? Or sorjek/abbot, or tor dragons/gaints?
    Does not work on Abbot, not sure on lich sorjek but probably the same there. Does not work on dragons, should work on giants.

Thanks for the info,

I assumed there was some kind of attack speed debuff linked to the feat but as it's not even listed in the feat description i had no clue about how much and on what bosses.

There should be a list on which kind of monsters this feat works and applies an attack speed debuff :-p

( any conclusiveness on lob? As in does it debuff his attack speed aswell? That might actually make me take the feat)
    Triumore - Triu - Broktar
    Mitis Mors

Quote Originally Posted by .Revenga. View Post
    Thanks for the info,

I assumed there was some kind of attack speed debuff linked to the feat but as it's not even listed in the feat description i had no clue about how much and on what bosses.

There should be a list on which kind of monsters this feat works and applies an attack speed debuff :-p

( any conclusiveness on lob? As in does it debuff his attack speed aswell? That might actually make me take the feat)
    I can't say conclusively that it slows his attack speed in practice (although that's what I've been led to believe), but he definitely gets the hamstring debuff on his examination window and the symbol appears above his head.

Community Member

If you want a history on why Hamstring still lowers the attack speed of some raid bosses, this post will help. Several raid bosses have been given explicit immunities to particular slowing effects (such as Waves of Exhaustion, Strength Sapping, and Tendon Slice), but the low usage of Hamstring has caused it to be ignored... for now.
    Last edited by Ukenburger; 02-05-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukenburger View Post
    If you want a history on why Hamstring still lowers the attack speed of some raid bosses, this post will help. Several raid bosses have been given explicit immunities to particular slowing effects (such as Waves of Exhaustion, Strength Sapping, and Tendon Slice), but the low usage of Hamstring has caused it to be ignored... for now.
    I thought this was probably the case too. In any case, if they DO come back and catch hamstring in this, they'll need to do something else to hamstring or else hamstring will just become another pretty much worthless feat. One rogue can't even keep it up 100% of the time since its effect is slightly shorter than its cooldown.