Default Notification of post removal / thread / breach

I'm not sure if this is place for this, but it seemed the "closest" match.

If a post or thread is removed by a mod, is the user notified in any way of that occuring ?

And if the user is not notified, is there a way to find out if any of your posts have been removed / have breached the rules of the forum ?

I only ask, as a post I had made "disappeared" and I've no Idea why / how etc. I've read the community rules etc, and couldn't see anything that jumped out at me, the only explanation I can think of is that

a) I clicked off the browser too quickly and did not post at all.

b) the post violated some term (but I've no idea which one).

If there IS a notification system in place then it's obviously a, but if it's b, then I'd really like to be aware, as a new user of the forums I'd like to avoid doing anything that breaches the rules, and I'm sure other new users would also like to be "sure" that they are not breaking any of the rules.

Perhaps if there is not a system in place, could I suggest one ? - (could be automatic type)

Tasmania - Yes it's an actual place and no, Tasmanian Devils don't spin around and eat people

Nope. Gone is gone without a trace except fond memories.

What was the topic?
    A friend will bail you out of jail.
    A mate will be sitting in there beside you saying "Damn that was awsome!!!"

Unguilded of Orien

The post itself was just a reply to a topic, nothing earth-shattering, as far as I know it wouldn't have broken any rules.

But therein lies the problem, if it was breaking a rule, how am I to know which one ? in what way ? - as I may not be interpreting the rules %100 correctly.

So if the mods are not going to give some kind of indication as to why (or in this case even if it was) removed then how is a user supposed to be able to change their posting style ?

It just leaves a little confusion, and also leaves the door open to future breaches, as if you don't know what you did you have no way to stop doing it.

Especially considering the "points" are accumulated AND permanant it's a little unfair in my book to not at least let the user know that they have breached the rules / and why.

It's at the point where I am not sure about anything I am posting, am I breaking rules right now with this post ? who knows, as I read the rules no I'm not, but that's what I thought about the other post aswell....

So in a situation where I'm not sure if the post was posted or if it was removed, so do I have a "point" or not ? - and what for ?

Almost thinking it's best just not to post here as I have no clue what the mods interpretation of the ruleset is.

A auto-notify system is not that hard to implement from a web-dev point of view, it would really just be another module to the forum base.

Or failing an auto-notify, perhaps a section in the UserCP that shows any infractions / count of posts removed.
    I'm a litle surprised as it's very rare to use a forum that doesn't actually tell the user in some way that a post has been removed.
    Last edited by psi0nix; 02-02-2012 at 12:00 AM.

Well, I will say that there is a feature in this forum software (might be a mod) that can send an autoresponse PM to the author of the modified/deleted post.

I also know that many forum administrators do not use this feature as it tends to keep stirring the pot. Often a poster will never realize their post went missing or a thread was closed or deleted. It makes for less drama.

If it makes you feel any better, sometimes responses are deleted along with offensive content in order to make the thread more readable. So, your post might not have been bad but it mentioned/quoted/referenced one that was against guidelines.

Also, check your UserCP and turn on "automatically subscribe to threads I've participated in." I don't believe it's on by default. That allows you to see a list of threads you have posted in. You can also click your name next to your post and select "Find more post by yourname" to see all of your recent posts.

Sometimes your post wasn't deleted but the thread was moved to another section of the forum.
    A PUG is like a box of chocolates
    Get people to read your post.

Ah I see, it could "inflame" the situation I guess, but for new forum users like myself it would be very helpful, as I've said I don't know if the post was removed / moved / not posted in the first place, and am concerned that I have a breach on record in the forums, but without knowing ... arrgh :P

It's doing my head in, I have no problem altering my posting style to suit the forums, but I don't know if I should or not as I don't know if what I've said has been removed lol

It's not anywhere in my history (show all posts by user) and I generally am posting at work, so I'm pretty quick about it and click on an off the page quickly, so not sure I may have closed the window before posting.